Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Mock Draft 3.0

My final one before the draft...

Colts Mock Draft 3.0

1st Round (24th Overall Pick)

Damontre Moore – Defensive End / Outside Linebacker – Texas A&M

The Colts should not hesitate to pick Damonter Moore if he’s on the board. Don’t let a bad combine fool you, he’s a talented player that can be a game changer. Damontre Moore has great size and long arms. That’s always a good start. He has a quick first step and beats a lot of right tackles. He’s also very versatile and can play positons on a 3-4 defensive line. He’s not very explosive, but he has good power. He has the ability to be a pro bowler in the NFL. Could fight for the starting job by midseason.

3rd Round (86th Overall Pick)

Brian Winters – Offensive Guard – Kent State

The Colts need a guard, as it’s their biggest need right now. Winters is a good guard with rookie starter potential. He can become a very good left guard and help protect Luck. He has great balance and has great power in his first couple of steps. He can definitely hold off extra blitzers. He’s a great run blocker who could help out the new power running game the Colts will be utilizing. He needs to transition to guard, which could be tough, but he has great potential.

4th Round (121st Overall Pick)

Chris Harper – Wide Receiver – Kansas State

Harper is an underrated receiver who can become a future starter on this team. Wide receiver is not a big need on the team, but keep in mind that Reggie Wayne doesn’t have more than 2 or 3 years left, and Darrius Heyward Bey is signed to only a one year deal. For now, he’s very good depth and will fight for the #4 spot, but he’ll be useful in the future.

6th Round (192nd Overall Pick)

Ricky Wagner – Offensive Tackle – Wisconsin

Wagner is one of my favorite tackles in this draft. I love O-lineman from Wisconsin, as I think they have one of the best O-line systems in the country. They create great lineman. Wagner dropped a lot this year, but he’s still a great run blocker. He’s improving at pass blocking, but he struggles against speed rushers. He’s a backup for now, but with the right development, he could become a future starter.

7th Round (230th Overall Pick)

Zeke Motta – Safety – Notre Dame

Motta is a solid safety on a great defense. He was the leader of the secondary at Notre Dame, and showed great all around ability. He’s solid in coverage and good at tackling. He just needs to get a better more instinctive and a bit smarter at reading. That’s a huge thing you must do in the NFL. The best do it the best.

7th Round (254th Overall Pick) – Compensatory

Rod Sweeting – Cornerback – Georgia Tech

Sweeting is an underrated prospect who has the ability to play on the outside and the inside. He has great size and athleticism, which is always a good thing for cornerbacks. He reacts well as a cornerback and reads play well. He just needs to get a bit more physical. He’s a backup for now, but could be a starter soon.

Moore in my opinion will be an average player in the NFL, not worth a 1st round pick.  Would much rather have D. Jones, who gives you a better all around game and can stay on the field for all 3 downs.  Teams tend to reach for a player when they have pass-rush potential, and sometimes, reaching for those potential pass rush skills, leads to you drafting a bust.  You know, like Jerry Hughes.  It is a high risk/high reward strategy.  If the guy makes it you have a pass rusher which is golden, but if he doesn't you usually have a bust.  

Winters will not last until the end of the 3rd round, he will be chosen before then.  If he is still there, I like that pick, but he won't be.

Chris Harper is next to terrible, and will never be more than a 4th WR on a roster.  He lacks speed, quickness, and has no suddenness.  He might be a 5th or 6th rounder, and even then, you're not getting much with him.  A wasted pick.  You say he is underrated, I say he is overrated.

Your last 3 picks seem to be good value for the position they are taken. 

I'm still not totally sure on Damontre Moore, a ton of negatives circling around him. Also, after going through an offense-dominated draft from last year, and being that our defense still probably isn't as good as our offense, this draft should be more defense-oriented.

Agree with some posters in this thread: Im not high on Moore, and I believe someone really good can fall into our lap. The draft is never easy to predict and that will be an advantage for us. I like Brian Winters in the 3rd, but another 1st rounder would be awesome.

Sometime these guys dog it and hope they end up on a good/great team.  A great player on a good/great team has a more favorable career.  Would you want to be drafted by Oakland, Cleveland, KC, Buffalo or Jags...with the rookie wage scale?  OR  SAN FRAN, SEATTLE, NE, GB, AT, INDY etc...with the rookie wage scale?

Carradine on a bum knee ran a faster 40 than Moore. Moore ran a 4.9 at the combine. He did not impress in other areas as well, including the interview. If it came down to the two of them, I would say Carradine.