Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rex Ryan rips Orioles, rightfully so

chad72

When did the 'tradition' of the NFL champion opening at home on Thursday night begin.?

Is it tradition or a made-for-TV event?

..and again..what's wrong with Mondayt Night Football?

...why didnt the Ravens just open at home on following Monday night...

They wanted the long week after the opener. Monday night gives them a short week. That's why I said they deserve some of the blame as well. I think the Sunday night opener would have been a good option, but they didn't want that either. And the NFL didn't want Wednesday night. It's not all the Orioles fault.

I always laugh at those black/white, either/or comebacks. Rex Ryan can be aware of other situations while at the same time being sufficiently worried about his own team.

And it's very likely that he was asked about the Ravens/Orioles situation, and then responded. I very much doubt that he walked outside into the media pit looking for a microphone, just to talk about how the Orioles should have been more accommodating.

Lastly, he was right. The Orioles SHOULD have been more accommodating. The fact that they have 81 home games makes it fairly simple to rearrange one of those games.

With the NFL season of 16 games , I agree with Rex Ryan for the first time on anything . The 81 home games ?? the Ravens Superbowl Champs  7 ?  This really is a slap in the face IMO ..  Maybe Baltimore needs to give there football team a home of there own something we in Indy have done twice .

The blame for this goes all around, but ultimately it is the arrogance of the NFL acting like the alpha male of sports.  Like others have said they could have easily changed the game to Wednesday night and had as much fanfare as if it was Thursday.  They say they cannot move it due a Jewish holiday, but they have games on all kinds of holidays.  The NFL just wanted to puff out its chest and say everyone will do as we say and it bit them in the butt this time because MLB would not bullied.

Other sports have accommodate the NFL before and the NFL even changed a game to a political convention, but for this they will not budge? This should be more of a scratch my back I'll scratch your back instead of the NFL just being a bull in a china shop.

Those getting on Rex about this seems a bit silly.  Everyone keeps up on other news in the world but are able to still do their jobs, take care of their kids, and go about their daily lives.  How is Rex any different?

The blame for this goes all around, but ultimately it is the arrogance of the NFL acting like the alpha male of sports.  Like others have said they could have easily changed the game to Wednesday night and had as much fanfare as if it was Thursday.  They say they cannot move it due a Jewish holiday, but they have games on all kinds of holidays.  The NFL just wanted to puff out its chest and say everyone will do as we say and it bit them in the butt this time because MLB would not bullied.

Other sports have accommodate the NFL before and the NFL even changed a game to a political convention, but for this they will not budge? This should be more of a scratch my back I'll scratch your back instead of the NFL just being a bull in a china shop.

Those getting on Rex about this seems a bit silly.  Everyone keeps up on other news in the world but are able to still do their jobs, take care of their kids, and go about their daily lives.  How is Rex any different?

I would not be happy if I did not give Rex an  :censored2: kickin......he brings so much on himself...:)

The NFL is the alpha male of sports, but I don't think that has anything to do with them wanting the Ravens to have a home opener on Thursday. That game is still going to dominate ratings, regardless of where it's played. And if it had been played on the Wednesday or Friday of that week, that would still hold true.

This situation became a little more high profile, but teams and leagues cooperate and adjust on things like this all the time. I don't think the NFL just barged in and said "you're gonna do what we want." They saw a conflict and looked for opportunity to resolve it. The NFL isn't even complaining about this, neither are the Ravens. They didn't try to bully anyone. But with some adjustments, the Ravens could have had their home opener and everyone would have been happy. MLB wouldn't make those adjustments, and now the Ravens go on the road. It's not the end of the world, but Ravens fans would have preferred the opener. And I'm betting MLB will be more proactive the next time there's a significant conflict like this one.

I agree that NFL does deserve some of the blame. At the risk of sounding insensitive, I don't understand why they couldn't open on Wednesday, when they play games on any other so-called holiday. What makes Rosh Hashanah so different? Do Jewish people not watch TV or go to games on that day? That's the only reason I could understand the NFL not wanting to open that day.

I don't feel sorry for the Ravens, since they could have had a Sunday night home opener if they wanted. But they wanted the long week after the opener, so they opted to take a road game. Their decision.

We also agree on the Rex Ryan criticism. I said earlier, this whole black/white reasoning is nuts. How come a person can't do their job and also keep up to date on events related to their job? Is he supposed to be locked in a dungeon, doing nothing but Jets related activities? Of course he knows what's going on in Baltimore, just like we do. And if someone asks him about it, of course he's going to comment on it. It's not like he wrote an op-ed. It's silly to me.

With the NFL season of 16 games , I agree with Rex Ryan for the first time on anything . The 81 home games ?? the Ravens Superbowl Champs 7 ? This really is a slap in the face IMO .. Maybe Baltimore needs to give there football team a home of there own something we in Indy have done twice .

They're not losing a home game. They just aren't opening at home. They still play 8 in Baltimore.

How many people outside of Baltimore care about the Orioles or the Ravens?

It's a bigger market than you think. The Baltimore/Washington area supports four teams, the Ravens, Orioles , Redskins, and Nationals. All of the teams have a fan base from Pennsylvania, into the Carolinas, plus some scattered national fans. It is the number four TV  market in the country.