Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keenan Allen

Allen will probably drop due to his 40 time so he very likely will be there at 24 when we pick. Watching this kid on tape he seems to catch anything in his area code. He doesn't have break away speed but he's a great route runner with great hands. Would you draft him at 24?

Do you remember Sean Dawkins, a big receiver with soft hands, out of Cal, who was also slow footed???  The Colts took him in the 1st round.  They are not going to repeat the same mistake again.  And please don't try to say how he's going to be different than Dawkins, the fact is there is a very good chance he winds up being the second coming of Dawkins, and I would rather probably have 5 other players at 24 over Allen.

Collie ran a 4.56 at the combine and a 4.53 at his pro day workout. Not blazing speed but better than Allen, who most expected to run around or under a 4.6 before his injury.

He has a knee injury. If a guy falls past where he should don't let him go because of 40 time.

The guy is a faster Collie

Do you remember Sean Dawkins, a big receiver with soft hands, out of Cal, who was also slow footed???  The Colts took him in the 1st round.  They are not going to repeat the same mistake again.  And please don't try to say how he's going to be different than Dawkins, the fact is there is a very good chance he winds up being the second coming of Dawkins, and I would rather probably have 5 other players at 24 over Allen.

Sean Dawkins put up multiple 700+ yard seasons and averaged over 14 YPC without an elite QB throwing to him. That's not really a bad comparison.

Any 40 time over 4.6 is very slow for NFL

I say pass.....

It isn't fast by NFL standard, but hopefully he is still coming back from his injury. Possession receivers don't always need fast straight line speed. Allen runs excellent routes and he will get open. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7 and has done pretty well.

All about the type of WR we are looking for. I like what he brings to the table.

**Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63

***Tim Tebow also ran a 4.7.......and he is reshaping the backup QB position. :lol:

Allen will probably drop due to his 40 time so he very likely will be there at 24 when we pick. Watching this kid on tape he seems to catch anything in his area code. He doesn't have break away speed but he's a great route runner with great hands. Would you draft him at 24?

Bum knee, will NEVER be a burner, we got DHB.  No way with our first. Too many other needs.

Bum knee, will NEVER be a burner, we got DHB.  No way with our first. Too many other needs.

We already have burners. We need a possesion reciver for when Reggie retires. Grigson isn't drafting based off of need. I doubt signing DHB to a 1 year contract changed his draft plans.

If the guy is 4.5 without injury.... I'm not so much against him.

However, If we go WR, (I now dont think we will) I think Hopkins would be a better long term solution.

Jerry Rice was slower than many as a WR.

But saying everyone that is slow is somehow equated to Jerry Rice doesn't seem to make sense either.

I would also say ( now this is a non-scientific, Deano guesstimate)

The CBs seem to be getting faster and faster........ Maybe a Jerry Rice if he came out now, might not be as successful as he was when he came out in 1985.

If the guy is 4.5 without injury.... I'm not so much against him.

However, If we go WR, (I dont think we will) I think Hopkins would be a better long term solution.

Jerry Rice was slower than many as a WR.

But saying everyone that is slow is somehow equated to Jerry Rice doesn't seem to make sense either.

I would also say ( now this is a non-scientific, Deano guesstimate)

The CBs seem to be getting faster and faster........ Maybe a Jerry Rice if he came out now, might not be as successful as he was

When he came out in 1985.

Jerry didn't have a problem with Deion Sanders.

Jerry didn't have a problem with Deion Sanders.

How DARE you question my non-scientific Deano guesstimate???? !!!!

It's has proven to be 43.4% accurate, 80% of the time...............

To be honest, I have watched clips of Hopkins and only a little bit on Kenan.

Kenan did look faster on the field than his 40 time.......... I still think Hopkins will be the better player,

But....... Who knows?........

I get paid to do something else for a living..........

Who would take Allen if Justin Hunter was still available? I don't think Hunter will be around, but I am curious to know where Allen ranks on everyone's mind.

At this point Allen is the better receiver than Hunter. But Hunter has more upside.

The CBs seem to be getting faster and faster........ Maybe a Jerry Rice if he came out now, might not be as successful as he was when he came out in 1985.

Deano....

Jerry Rice came into the NFL in the mid-80's when the rules did NOT favor the offense.    And, after a rough first year where he led NFL receivers in drops,  he turned into a God.

If Rice came into the NFL now when the rules favor offense,  there's just no telling how great he'd be!    Is there something higher than a God?!?

How high is up?    The sky is the limit....    No one better than Jerry Rice.   Not back then.   Not now.

Nothing would change.    He'd be the best WR in the game.....

Allen WR in Peps system.  We have the veteran (Wayne) the quick (Hilton) the speed (DHB) the big (Fleener) the matchup (Allen)...Where does Allen fit? Reminds me a little of Kenny Brit...

Allen would move up to the 2nd receiver spot and DHB drops to the 4th spot. It's not like we have a lot invested in him anyway.

DHB > Allen right now.  Quicker, more experienced, paid $$$ to start...

Allen: Better hands, better route runner, better play-maker. 

The only thing DHB has on him is speed and size and those don't mean anything if you don't have good hands or aren't able to run the full route tree.

And I doubt Grigson isn going to let a 1 year contract affect his draft plans. He'll take BPA and apparentelly he likes Keenan Allen.

If you want a possession receiver, or a 2nd receiver, you don't waste a 1st round pick on him.  And you certainly don't take a guy that ran 4.7's......NFL corners will be draped on him like a cheap suit.  He isn't going to outrun linebackers for crying out loud.  Even T'eo can keep up with him. 

You got a great (and fast) receiver in T.Y., with a 4th round pick.  Collie was a great possession receiver, also a 4th round pick I believe.  I don't want 700 yards per year from a 1st round receiver, Sean Dawkins lack of quickness always looked like it was his achilles heal, and that's probably going to be Allen's biggest problem as well.

We gonna go OL or DL or LB for the 1st pick, and probably the 2nd pick as well.  Then you can take a receiver...maybe. 

Allen: Better hands, better route runner, better play-maker. 

The only thing DHB has on him is speed and size and those don't mean anything if you don't have good hands or aren't able to run the full route tree.

And I doubt Grigson isn going to let a 1 year contract affect his draft plans. He'll take BPA and apparentelly he likes Keenan Allen.

He might take him...but what data are you comparing?  Apple vs. Oranges... Plus, Kelley FA WR will want his touches... 8 WR on the team already...

He might take him...but what data are you comparing?  Apple vs. Oranges... Plus, Kelley FA WR will want his touches... 8 WR on the team already...

Data? What do you mean? Whalen, Kelley, Sambrano, and Palmer probably won't make the roster and the way that Grigson and Co are looking at receivers, they still seem like they're not satisfied with what they have now.

I've seen a good number of Allen's games. He's not a 4.75 guy when he's healthy, but I never saw him as anything faster than a 4.6, 4.65 kind of player. He's got excellent body control and hands, but he's really more of a #2 at the next level. In that role, I can see him having success. But the other big WR's who've come out and ran times around there like Blackmon and Crabtree had better film that made me feel confident they could be a #1. Allen's film isn't bad or anything, but it doesn't pop out at me the way theirs did. And with those measurables, it really should've for him to be the top 15 player I'd seen him rated as.

Also, consistent #1 production is a question mark. If you're coming out with less than ideal athleticism, there needs to be production to cover for it. He had one 100 yard game in his final 16 before missing the last 4 games of his junior year and only 7 for his career. While he was on fire for a short stretch in his sophomore season, he's not coming out on a high note. Is that enough of a track record? It may sound nitpicky, but that's the scrutiny 1st round picks face.

The question is, is a #2 guy worth a 1st round pick, even if they're an above average #2? For some team, the answer may well be yes (like Houston, for example, who doesn't have many glaring holes except for a #2 WR). I'm not sure I'd be thrilled if we picked him there, but there could be worse players we wound up with.

Could be a Colston type receiver worth thinking about...Lots of options if Cooper is gone.

Wouldn't see the field much next year though, but we will need a replacement for Reggie soon and it may be DHB or may not, if they think he can be a Colston or even Keyshawn Johnson type that ain't bad....People act like the 24 pick is such a high pick, it's a pick where you can hit a home run or get duds like Brown and Hughes although they were a little later but not by much...

we got a serviceable WR in DHB. we can get past for 1 more year plus we got lots of young guys grigs and irsay are high on(brazil and whalen)

Apparently Grigson is high on Allen as well. They were reported as being all over him today.