Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another Rob Gronkowski setback, unknown yet if will be able to start season, Boston Herald , written today

bayone

According to multiple sources familiar with the situation, tight end Rob Gronkowski has been battling a stubborn infection in the area around where a second metal plate was installed to repair his broken left forearm and his readiness for the season is in jeopardy.

Gronkowski is nearing the end of a six-week cycle of antibiotic treatments administered under the auspices of Massachusetts General Hospital, but it is not yet assured the infection has been completely eradicated.

Doctors treating Gronkowski will have to go back into the arm again to remove the plate and install a new one, but if they find more infected tissue, they would be unable to install the plate at that time. That would require another surgical procedure  ( later On ) after the tissue around the injury is clear of infection and, sources confirmed, that would not give Gronkowski the required 10 weeks healing time to be ready for the season opener in September.

((((  In  other words, if no infection is found it ,ma replacement plate can be put in immediately and if healing takes place without complications ( sequella actually  )  he will be ready for season opener   

However if infection is found it must be dealt with first and then the replacement plate put in  later and healing time required would not be fast enough to start season  ))))

Gronkowski, agent Drew Rosenhaus, team officials, both team physicians and outside consultants are expected to meet within a week to make a determination of what step will be taken next and how quickly to move. All are hopeful the pesky infection has been cured but they cannot be sure until the surgery to remove the old plate and the process to replace it begins.

go to lionk below and click on reports the Boston Herald, to access story, therre own link doesnt woprk here

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/7/4193080/rob-gronkowski-injury-patriots-infection-broken-arm

Try copy & pasting, no link seems to allow access

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/04/another_rob_gronkowski_setback

WELL I TRIED < SEEMS LIKE ONLY my ORIGINAL ACCESS  WAS ALLOWED & CANT SUPPLY A WORKING LINK 

But I did give all main aspects of article in OP

see article & link  that follows in next comment

No story here unless there is still an infection which they believe is gone. Typical Herald garbage.

yes that's  the key but i dont see anywhere  that its says ,unless u read it somewhere else that they think the infection is gone see below highlighted story

I got the impression they dont know and upon going in they will find out , if no infection u can put the plate in now , if onfected have to treat that first 

FROM THE ORIGINAL BOSTON G HERALD ARTICLE HEAR IS WHAT I LEFT OUT IN THE OP< I JUST HAVE NO IDEA WHY THE LINK FOR IT DENIES ACCESS' HERE

Gronkowski, agent Drew Rosenhaus, team officials, both team physicians and outside consultants are expected to meet within a week to make a determination of what step will be taken next and how quickly to move.

All are hopeful the pesky infection has been cured but they cannot be sure until the surgery to remove the old plate and the process to replace it begins.

There are several ways the tissue can be tested, medical sources explained. There is a procedure involving freezing part of the tissue, there is a biopsy and a test that can be done during the surgery to replace the plate.

If the infection has cleared, a new plate would be installed and Gronkowski would have sufficient time to be prepared to undertake normal football activities by the time the season begins.

From a Drs standpoint I will say that they clinically cant tell is kinda weird, u would think there would be signs and symptoms of redness , sweling etc unless its a real low grade , what might be called an occult infection,  but they must be questioning the healing if really dont know

One would think something is not absolutely right if they are questioning the next step, still however , it can prove to be just overally cautious and in the end  absolutely nothing

its by him  ,Ron Borges,  & someone named Karen Guregian , to be exact, i dont know anything about them but a comparison of the former to kravitz is not a striking compliment about his reporting style

here are some   of the many comments on article, I only scanned, while many belive it others like the ones below   seems to support your view of the author & the story

+3 -5

"According to multiple sources"......whatsa matter Borges, no one will talk directly to you anymore? Why write an article or report on something when you have NO direct knowledge? I'm really surprised you couldn't figure out a way to take a shot at Schilling or Belicheck in this little missive....

+5 -4

What a horribly misleading article. It is too bad that the Herald has zero standards. This infection was reported months ago by every one else and there is zero evidence of a new setback so these clowns are rehashing old news and trying to create drama.
Posted 21 hours 42 min ago
+2 -3

I totally agree with WrongBorges...you say Gronk has suffered another setback....I'm still waiting to hear what it is! Everyone has known for some time he has had an infection and is being treated by antibiotics. Now if they already went in to replace the plate and found the infection still there, then that would be a setback. But they haven't even done that yet. So what is this new setback you are writing about??????

It's Ron Borges.

I don't believe 99% of what he writes, and I'm highly skeptical of the remaining 1%.

He's worse than Kravitz, if that helps to put him into context for Colts' fans.

Didn't realize it was Borges. We should just close this thread now.

This is right from Borges wiki page:

Criticism

Borges' hostile opinions have frequently earned him criticism. He has severely criticized Bill Belichick; some media figures, including Bill Simmons, have asserted that this is because Borges relied on former quarterback Drew Bledsoe, benched and traded by Belichick, as his primary source of Patriots information. Borges also wrote a controversial column asserting that Lance Armstrong is not an athlete.[citation needed]

"In person, most people have been very kind to me, A few people haven't, usually when they're under the influence of some stimulants or depressants. It's not nice. I don't like it. It happened to me once in a mall with my daughter when she was about 10 years old. Some guy was cursing and yelling. I tried to use it as a learning experience for her on how not to behave. I'd be lying if I said I thought it was cool. But I accept it. I'm not complaining. I know what this is."[1]

Ron Borges also played a part in starting the long running feud between the Boston Globe and Boston sports talk radio station WEEI. In 1999, the Boston Globe's executive sports editor banned Globe sportswriters from appearing on WEEI's afternoon 'The Big Show' after Borges appeared on it and allegedly used a racial slur to describe New York Yankees pitcher Hideki Irabu. Glenn Ordway, host of the show defended Borges stating that he was only trying to 'recall Yankees owner George Steinbrenner's infamous description of Irabu as a "fat, * toad."[2] Ordway claims he corrected Borges on the air and was surprised when the ban was announced. Two weeks later, Skwar banned Globe sportswriters from appearing on WEEI's morning Dennis and Callahan Show because of its perceived lowbrow humor. After this ban, WEEI retaliated by banning Globe sportswriters from all WEEI programs.[3]

Altercation with Michael Katz

In June 2004, Borges was involved in a physical altercation with New York Times and MaxBoxing.com reporter Michael Katz at a press conference in Las Vegas. Reports state that Katz was in the process of interviewing boxing promoter Bob Arum when Borges interrupted to ask Arum a question. Katz objected to the interruption and allegedly accused Borges of "being a shill for" boxing promoter Don King. In a column earlier in the year Katz had called Borges "a vomit-smelling sleaze" and criticized Borges for "writing about a fight without revealing he was being paid by King to provide television commentary". Borges responded by striking Katz, who responded by striking at Borges with his cane. Katz was described as "a short, fat man in his 60s who walks with a cane and wears a neck brace because of chronic back problems". The fight between the two was broken up by Arum and his aide.

her surely  CONTROVERSIAL TO SAY THE LEAST 

u left out

Plagiarism allegations

On March 4, 2007, Borges was caught in plagiarism allegations after an online reader on ESPN.com's New England Patriots message board revealed that there were extensive similarities between a March 4 article by Borges in the Boston Globe and a February 25 article written by sportswriter Mike Sando of the Tacoma News Tribune.[6] On March 5, Borges was suspended for plagiarism by the Globe, without pay, and barred from broadcast appearances for two months.[7]

Other Globe columnists on Borges

• "Borges doesn't care, I think he fires away and doesn't think about the fans or anyone else. I think he fires away with honesty and candor with no other objective but to tell people what he really thinks. And if people don't like it, # 'em." – Bob Ryan
  •  
  • "He's always expressed his opinions, bluntly." – former Globe sports editor Don Skwar.
  •  
  • "We should have one of those Globe polls—'Who do you hate more?' I've challenged Borges to see who could get out the vote. It would be close. And it would be a lot more interesting than who’s going to win the MVP." – Dan Shaughnessy
  •  

Retirement from The Boston Globe

Less than two weeks after returning from his 2-month suspension, Borges announced his retirement from the Boston Globe on May 18, 2007.[8]

Boston Herald

In October 2008, Borges resumed his role as a Boston sportswriter, this time with the Boston Herald. The time between writing stints may have been related to a non-compete clause in his Globecontract.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Borges

This is right from Borges wiki page:

a quick one as have tro meet darn wheel chair van to take mom to doc

u say amazing still has a job

But was interesting he was suspended by the globe, and virtually right after being allowed back quit and went to work for herald

The wiki page also said was an article one him   November 2006 Boston Magazine on him, but when u clicked on boston magazine all it did was bring up their wiki page

Would be interesting to see what they thought of him though that was years back already

Amazing he still has a job in the media but then again Boston sports media standards are not very high and the more controversial the better these days.

I hope he will be okay and can continue his career without setbacks next season. I hope I am also wrong in saying after the Pats/Ravens AFCCG that Gronk kinda reminds me at times of the offensive version of Bob Sanders. Game changing player when healthy but when he is out my God do you miss him......even if the next man up is good there is no replacement for that spark of life he can bring to the field.