Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One gaping hole.......

deano

Very hard for Brown to fumble when he is never on the field.  DB may not make this team.  Havili will be the #2 option behind Ballard IMO.  I would not be surprised at all to see the Colts  go after another RB (undrafted maybe). 

Brown has fumbled 1once in 50 starts. Ballard 3 in 12 starts. Don't let your hate get in the way of a good stat. Like your boy Ballard, I certainly do, but your comments about Brown are laughable....

Skill positions like WR and TE - after the first 3 rounds, there is a considerable dropoff, IMO. The likes of Marques Colston and Antonio Gates, IMO, are few and far between. RBs, due to RBC, you can land a starter in later rounds.

That is why, if we plan to go WR, it has to happen in our first 3 rounds. Otherwise, you are rolling the dice a bit.

If DeAndre Hopkins is your BPA, you take him, regardless of who is on the roster, IMO. Colts also seemed to have worked out Quinton Patton, potentially a round 3 wideout. We will see how things go. I agree with BPA driving the draft for us.

In my era, Stokely, Collie and Garcon were all taken after the 3rd round.....it can work for you.....

If Thomas and and Cherilus solidify LG and RT, whoever gets the call at RG is gonna look a whole lot better just by having a stronger supporting cast.  

Cool thing about this offseason is that it's left us without any obvious gaping holes but also few places of obvious strength, so we should truly go BPA.  Any position except for QB, and of course this is a lousy year for QBs anyway.  Gotta love how that worked out.

I hope we take Lattimore in the 5th like we did with Chapman last year. 

I really hope Chap becomes the player we want him to be!!  If he does, and 2 seasons from now Lattimore is healthy, we would have 2 GREAT players drafted in the late rounds.

That if hes there I can live with,hes a class kid,if he recovers fully a very good asset IMO

I think that was a response just to have a response

There is nothing wrong with people having different opinions. I am ok with you being wrong about this. ;)

In the end; we are all just want-to-be Grigson's sharing our thoughts on a message board.

using our phantom 5th rd pick :rock:

we dont have one now but you do realize that can change right?  If he is sitting there in the 4th, I would consider that too early.  If he was there in the 6th, I bet a lot of teams would be willing to pick him.  So....I said 5th.  If he is there in the 5th and I say move in and get him.

I have said this for a while, and most have disagreed with me, but I believe if Lacy is there at #24 then we should take him. Right now, at least on paper, our biggest need is RB. I say this because Ballard is the only back we have on the roster who can stay healthy and secures the ball well. Ballard can be explosive at times, but I do not believe he is as explosive as Lacy. The two would be a very good 1-2 punch and could complement each other very well. We also need to be prepared in the event that Ballard goes down or misses some time.

I believe that Lacy at #24 is both value and need.

Marquee runningbacks are just not a solid investment like they were at one point in the NFL. The best ones are increasingly a result of fitting in an offensive scheme rather than pure beastmode talent. Their shelf-life is also becoming shorter and shorter. It is becoming harder to justify early picks on them.

Adrian Peterson is a once in a generation type talent at running back. Aside from amazing personal accomplishments, what has having him on their roster accomplished for the Vikings?

I do not agree that RBs are a dime a dozen.

The way the rookie pay scale is now, it’s actually a good idea to get a RB late in the first round. The deal is very manageable on the cap and it also adds an extra year to the contract. I believe we will see more RBs taken in the late first round, just as last year, because of the way the rules have changed.

Why would you use a 1st round pick on a part-time player? That's what any RB would be on the Colts.

I agree with Bav, though. The pick at 24 will be BPA. And BPA at the 24 spot won't be a running back.

Ballard was a rookie RB last year who learned a lot and still had 800 yds rushing behind a poor OL. He should be a little bigger, faster, and stronger this year. He will also have more experience picking up blitzers. If we add in a better OL and a FB who has some ability to make people miss that can give Ballard a breather, our running game will be a lot better without drafting someone like Lacy.

Ballard kinda froze because he didn`t know which one of the Blitzers to pick up.

We are all hoping it is only one IF ANY most of the time going forward. :goodluck:

That thing backs do when noone gets thru, swinging out, would be a nice wrinkle. haha  :coltslogo: 

I agree with the original spirit of the post: OG is a gaping hole.  I would add Fluker as a road-grading guard that would work for us too.  I can't put any faith in Anderson, Ijalana, or Griffin for depth, because of injuries (or lack of talent in Griffin's case).  I don't see RB as a need, since I like Ballard, Brown, Carter, and Kareem.  I think Carter's reputation is a little unfair, since he fumbled maybe once in college.  Yeah, we all know he had his problems as a rookie for the Colts, but I'll give him a little benefit from two years of working on ball security.  Bottom line: the ability to run the football comes primarily from the OL, and we need to build a championship OL.  Reitz and Thomas, with Linkenbach backing them up, is not a promising OG group for a championship line.

I do not hate him............please refrain from putting words in my mouth.  DB has about as many rushing yards in 4 years then AP had last year.  DB can not stay healthy, drops footballs that hit him in the hands and is arm tackled way to often.  DB is good in the open field when no one is near him but who is not.  I like Ballard and Havilli to carry the load.  DB has not getting it done.....you can not argue that.  Again I do not hate DB.

Brown has fumbled 1once in 50 starts. Ballard 3 in 12 starts. Don't let your hate get in the way of a good stat. Like your boy Ballard, I certainly do, but your comments about Brown are laughable....