Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Im all in for a CB in the first.

MarquisJ

Several thoughts....

One, bad cornerback play didn't lead to a worse pass rush. We had both. But 'A' didn't lead to 'B'....

Two, before he was a coordinator, Pagano coached defensive backs. If Vaughn was as bad as you think he is, he would not be on the team. But, as of now, he is.

Defense is the strength of the draft.... there are lots and lots of good corners in this draft. We don't have to spend a #1 on a corner to find a good one.

For those who want another position addressed.... we don't have to spend a #1 on a WR to find a good one. We don't have to spend a #1 on a DE/OLB to find a good one. We don't have to spend a #1 on a guard to find a good one. There a good players all over this draft.

Grigson will find them.

Good post. It looks like we are on the same path with how we perceive most of the Colts current status. This is why I believe it is a good year to take Lacy if he is available at #24. I think in some other drafts that he would be gone earlier; likely in the teens. He could still go in the teens this year, but I like the chances of him dropping to us, with all of the talent at other positions in this draft.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we draft pass rusher, CB, and WR. Not necessarily in that order, but after that O-Linemen.

Grigson has played the FA market to where he can draft BPA, so his board is probably 7/8 done already and ready to rock.

The biggest baddest defensive player at 24.....whomever falls and can stick a lick on ya Lolly!  OL 3rd....Lets head to the draft my friends!!!! :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

I'd rather pick WR, G, or OLB but CBs get injured more than anyone. The OP is not wrong, going CB in the 1st makes sense, it just a different approach.

Corners get hurt more than anyone? Do the numbers really back that up?

In general CBs are the most injured position, not necessarily the Colts corners, well maybe the are lol.

I don't know if I've ever seen any stats on that. For the position that probably has the least amount of contact, that's kind of strange. I would probably say defensive line.

Several thoughts....

One,  bad cornerback play didn't lead to a worse pass rush.    We had both.     But 'A' didn't lead to 'B'....

Two,  before he was a coordinator, Pagano coached defensive backs.    If Vaughn was as bad as you think he is,  he would not be on the team.    But, as of now,  he is.

Defense is the strength of the draft....   there are lots and lots of good corners in this draft.    We don't have to spend a #1 on a corner to find a good one.

For those who want another position addressed....   we don't have to spend a #1 on a WR to find a good one.   We don't have to spend a #1 on a DE/OLB to find a good one.    We don't have to spend a #1 on a guard to find a good one.    There a good players all over this draft.

Grigson will find them.

I agree with you 100%. We should draft the best defensive player available and the defense is very deep this year.

1st Rd: OLB

3rd Rd: Guard

4th Rd: WR

6th Rd: CB

7th Rd: DE

7th Rd: RB/OG/S It can go either way.. WR at fourth because I still believe we'll get one in FA

I'm not the biggest fans of our pass rushers outside 98. However, I don't see us drafting a Rushbacker. Think about this, how many do you think we are going to carry on the active roster? I highly doubt we cut Hughes, and I know Walden/Sidberry will be on the team. Those three guys are going to get every single crack at PT opposite 98. Don't see a scenario where a Rushbacker is our 1st rounder, even if Jones or Moore is available.

If CB is the best player available and grades out above any other positions than I say yes. We are not deep at CB. Its a passing league and well we still don't know if Davis will be brought back after next year (though i imagine he will). Toler has some injury concerns and so you can usually expect 3-4 games a year one or two corners will be out. We just plain need depth...and special team help in that position. Safety is a big possibility because I think its likely a 10% chance Bethea is here after this year. He will be 30 and looking for one last pay day...and he hasn't exactly lit up the secondary forcing turnovers. Landry also has missed games and with the beating safeties sometimes take we will likely take 1 or 2 db's in this draft...early if they rate out the best. I fully expect us to look LOOONG and hard at OL help....especially interior OL help at guard/center. Emphasis will definately be on grooming a starter probably after spending big money this year on tackle and probably in a couple years for our other tackle. OLB/LB will probably fill out the rest of our draft. Mathis isn't getting younger and Walden was brought in to play the run. We still need an elite pass rusher if one becomes available or we believe one with value is there. Signing a veteren wr to start or play our 3rd wr pretty much means a top one would have to fall to us before we would go that route. We have some young ones with Brazill and Whelan and some other camp bodies that should fill out the roster. I think next year we really go after one in that expected deep class.

I'm not the biggest fans of our pass rushers outside 98. However, I don't see us drafting a Rushbacker. Think about this, how many do you think we are going to carry on the active roster? I highly doubt we cut Hughes, and I know Walden/Sidberry will be on the team. Those three guys are going to get every single crack at PT opposite 98. Don't see a scenario where a Rushbacker is our 1st rounder, even if Jones or Moore is available.

The only proven pass rusher on the roster is Robert Mathis and he is 33

I highly doubt we take a Corner in the first unless Rhodes is there and even then its not a no brainer, protecting our franchise QB should be top priority

Rhodes and only Rhodes at 24 if available......Get ready for another beast for the D...coming to a Lucas Oil Stadium near you :)

The only proven pass rusher on the roster is Robert Mathis and he is 33

Some of the best sacks I have seen via a solid hit and wrap have been from Kavell Conner. Kid can rattle a cage at full speed Colt fans... If Pagano can get the 3-4 the way he really wants it...not the Freeney cluster ____ we will disguise and put some names on the the 'sack checklist' very soon....

We may finally have the bigs to DEMAND that ever so important double team.....it bodes well for the the back 8...but not for an unsuspecting QB....Blitz em boys....unleash the Sidbury Beast....Conner.....'one of the boys comin...in the draft...'   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

Truthfully, its killilng not know what we're going to do with this pick. I believe this draft is going to have alot of moving & grooving. Mainly due to 1 team - the SF 49ers. They have more picks than roster slots so they could get some interesting balls rolling.

But to answer the OP's question, i would love to have that suspended LSU CB fall to us. I think his name is T. Mathieus. For the team that drafts him will be getting a (star)ter. An All-American CB AND KR/PR. Game-changer. Just my thoughts. I know he will end up somewhere like DAL or NE. Only "certain" teams can draft players like that without backlash.