Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harnish under-prepared?

chad72

Read this:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/3/21/4131684/the-colts-signing-matt-hasselbeck-will-benefit-the-under-prepared-chandler-harnish

Knowing it is Brad Wells, take it with a grain of salt. But I do agree that no starting QB has that much time to give reps and training to a backup QB, but a backup like Hasselback can definitely do that with Harnish. That part, I agree with.

The premise is sound. Harnish admitted this himself. But being Wells, he sensationalizes and spins and makes this a lot bigger than it really is.

its shocking to me he gets so many his on his site. does he get media credentials for game day?

I did not mind us keeping him from his pre season play,but a vet backup helps us all sleep better.

Hasselbeck was one of the best moves they made.  If Luck goes down for four games, Hasselbeck is experienced enough to win two of them and save your season. 

The premise is sound. Harnish admitted this himself. But being Wells, he sensationalizes and spins and makes this a lot bigger than it really is.

I was in attendance at the football banquet where Harnish spoke and do not remember the comments in the context Wells uses. He was basically saying "if you are not the starter then you have not prepared hard enough, and that goes for me too." Saying this in an effort to convince the Norwell players in attendance to always try harder. I do believe Matt will be a great mentor for our 3rd string qb.

I was in attendance at the football banquet where Harnish spoke and do not remember the comments in the context Wells uses. He was basically saying "if you are not the starter then you have not prepared hard enough, and that goes for me too." Saying this in an effort to convince the Norwell players in attendance to always try harder. I do believe Matt will be a great mentor for our 3rd string qb.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that Wells will take things out of context to support his viewpoint (or vendetta).  This article wan't too bad, but most of the time he's just plain pedestrian and childish.

IMHO, StampedeBlue could be a really good and classy Colts website, but his style of poor writing keeps it down in the gossip blog dregs of the interweb.  It's a shame, a lot of the other writers are pretty good and they have a lot of content.

I think this is a terrible article and I'm glad we have a poster here confirming that the Harnisch quotes are completely out of context.

A QB taken dead last in the draft and third string on the depth chart, OF COURSE he felt inadequately prepared!   You don't get nearly the practice reps or the attention from the coaches.   Give the kid a freaking break, Brad,  you total tool..!!!

Here's another paragraph that chaps my hide.....  

However, it's not like Andrew Luck has never worked in a West Coast system. He became a master of it at Stanford under Pep Hamilton and David Shaw's guidance. The offensive coordinator job title at Stanford is called "The Andrew Luck Director of Offense" for a reason, kids. Luck knows the West Coast system.

Ummm....   it's not called that for the reason that Brad suggests....   it's not called that because Luck was a some QB genius (although he was)....    No.    It was called that because some very rich alum has now endowed the offensive coordinator spot.  That simply means the alum wrote a check for at least 7 figures, and possibly 8 figures.   That means the school now has money set aside to pay the salary for that position, from now until the end of time!    The head Coach spot in most, if not all sports at Stanford have done that same thing.   Some rich alums writes a huge check.   

Luck strongly opposed this!   He only agreed to it when the school appealed to him and explained what a check of that size means to the school.   I guarantee Luck would remove his name from the title if he could.   It's the rich alum who wants it that way.

Brad Wells....    total tool.....      :wall:

Even worse.

But in his defense, he linked to an article from another outlet that "quotes" Harnish at that banquet. From that article, it's not hard to reach the conclusion that Wells did.

http://www.newssentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130308/SPORTS/130309613/1054

However, it's not like Andrew Luck has never worked in a West Coast system. He became a master of it at Stanford under Pep Hamilton and David Shaw's guidance. The offensive coordinator job title at Stanford is called "The Andrew Luck Director of Offense" for a reason, kids. Luck knows the West Coast system.

Ummm....   it's not called that for the reason that Brad suggests....   it's not called that because Luck was a some QB genius (although he was)....    No.    It was called that because some very rich alum has now endowed the offensive coordinator spot.  That simply means the alum wrote a check for at least 7 figures, and possibly 8 figures.   That means the school now has money set aside to pay the salary for that position, from now until the end of time!    The head Coach spot in most, if not all sports at Stanford have done that same thing.   Some rich alums writes a huge check.   

Brad Wells....    total tool.....      :wall:

I did not know that!  My Buckeyes get probation for players trading their own property for chicken wings and tattoos, but the university's can sell their players names any way they want?  Tell me the NCAA isn't totally dysfunctional.  (I know the rest of the OSU story, but the point is still valid)

Any, I digress and I'll get back on track now.

Yes, Wells is a total tool.

He said Harnish shouldn't admit to not knowing what was going on.  But honestly. . . don't you think the coaches knew that???  If you don't know what's going on in practice, I'm sure it tends to show.  It's not like you can just make it up on the fly and do well.  

This is why Harnish isn't our #2.  

Of course Harnish felt under prepared.  The guy was a 7th round QB and everyone knew the guy was not ready and will not be ready for years to come if at all.  It will definitely help him having Hasselbeck on the roster because Luck does not have the time nor do I want him wasting time on helping Harnish. Hasselbeck can work with Harnish on the side and get him caught up while Luck works with the first offense.

Honestly, it really does no matter becuase if we are seeing Harnish at all we are in deep trouble.