Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justin Hunter

WR, Tennessee, Height: 6 ft 4 in Weight: 200 lb

Didn't watch any Tennessee games this year but when I watch videos of this guy he looks like has tremendous upside. His length alone is impressive.

When I look at his weaknesses I feel like they can be fixed easily given some time. His route running and explosiveness isn't what it was before he toar his ACL in 2011, but again, given some work that'll be fixed. Under Reggie's wing I'm sure this kid's decision making on the field will improve greatly as well. Once he bulks up a little he will be a much better run blocker.

If this business with the WR Irsay is tweeting about doesn't work out and we trade down into the second round I wouldn't mind if we selected this guy.Down the road, I could see him being the Colts #1 reciever.

Please correct me if I'm way off base.

I don't know if he will be there if we trade down, I would draft him at 24 though IMO

I believe at 24, as Gavin said, a player with a higher draft grade that could fill a bigger hole in our team, like a pass rusher, will be there.

I think he can definitly be #1 wr good but do we really want to trade down to draft him at the top of the 2nd? His draft grade is 81.8

It all depends on who falls to us at 24, we'll have to see.

We might be able to trade down with a team that has a qb need in the 2nd round in the top 10 like the Bills and that probably will give us their 2nd,3rd, and 4th or something like that. Maybe if a team like the 49ers or Dolphins feel like they have a player that might not fall to them they will most likely be willing to trade up since they have 2 2nd rounders. I expect the 49ers to trade up alot if they're smart since it would be a complete waste to actually use all 17 picks since they will eventually have to cut 3/4 of them to have their 53 man roster.

Hunter is going to be a beast.  If he is even there at 24 and we dont take him he wont be there in the 2nd.  He came back less than a year after his ACL tear so some of the explosiveness was not there yet. 4.4 40, 39.5 Vert best among WR, 11"4' Broad jump best among WR.  Good hands to boot.  He is what this board has been wanting for years, which is a big redzone jump ball target.  Doubt he gets past texans in first.

I'd be fine with Justin Hunter at 24.  I think our FA acquisitions have given us a lot of freedom for the draft. Being a Florida fan, I've watched my fair share of Tennessee games, and I'd love to have ANY of their WR's on our team. (Including Rogers, who I know finished with Tennessee Tech)  Patterson, Hunter, and Rogers are all very good receivers. I'd even love Deandre Hopkins out of Clemson

I couldn't complain about Rhodes either if we went that route.

However, right now, I'm digging the though of Justin Hunter being added to our Receiving corp.

I'd be fine with Justin Hunter at 24.  I think our FA acquisitions have given us a lot of freedom for the draft. Being a Florida fan, I've watched my fair share of Tennessee games, and I'd love to have ANY of their WR's on our team. (Including Rogers, who I know finished with Tennessee Tech)  Patterson, Hunter, and Rogers are all very good receivers. I'd even love Deandre Hopkins out of Clemson

However, right now, I'm digging the though of Justin Hunter being added to our Receiving corp.

Always good to hear a Florida fan high on my Vols players :) 

I would LOVE it if we got Da'Rick. Problem is I don't see him making it out of the 2nd round. Even if he slipped into the 3rd round we have a low pick anyways.

Exactly which acquisition would allow us to blow a 1st on a wide receiver? If you think Cherilus is the answer to our O-line problems they are still far greater. Could still upgrade most spots on the defense. 

Exactly which acquisition would allow us to blow a 1st on a wide receiver? If you think Cherilus is the answer to our O-line problems they are still far greater. Could still upgrade most spots on the defense. 

Well, with the money paid to Cherilus, it's obvious the team views him as our RT.  Donald Thomas will likely fill out the RG spot as well, with Satele as our C.  That means our Oline will consist of:  

Castonzo, LG, Satele, Thomas, Cherilus.  

Not sure who our LG is at this point, but I think we have quite a few G's on our roster. 

With the money we paid Toler, the team expects him to be our #2 Corner with Butler playing the Nickel (that could flip, though)  Vaughn rounds out the CB position as our #4.

Our need at Safety is greatly reduced by the Landry signing.  It would be silly to spend a 1st round pick on a SS after paying Landry.  Bethea will be the FS.

Our Dline is actually looking pretty solid right now with Redding, Franklin, and Jean-Francois with Moala, Nevis, Mckinney all as depth.

We also Have Mathis at OLB to be paired up with Walden (who was paid well) with Sidbury and Hughes as back-ups.  That position seems set.  ILB will likely be Freeman, Conner, Angerer, and someone else.

So, IMO, that leaves us with a need to replace Avery.  I think our 2 biggest needs going into the draft are now WR, and another OG.  However, I don't think there will be a G worthy of #24.  There will probably be at least ONE receiver worthy of it.  (Hunter, Hopkins, etc)  

I'm not saying we HAVE to go WR, but I wont be surprised if we do.

I would love to get Hunter at 24 I'm actually worried someone will take him before we even get the chance tho :( I like his size speed and hands our D is set weather ppl like it or not the FA we signed will start that's why they payed wat they did I don't wanna skip a starting WR for a backup D player and I agree guard is a big need to but there is always good NFL o linemen deep in the draft so that's not a problem we can grab one in the 3rd

Hunter looks like he'll be getting jammed on the line like nobody's business. Is rather have a bull like DaRick Rodgers or a shifty guy like Corradelle Patterson.

Corradelle is very weak running routes, he will take some time.  DaRick I have nothing really bad to say about him football wise. Hunter will be fine getting off the line, he proved it all year against very good SEC CB's.  And I know this is not the biggest thing but he destroyed Amerson this year off the line every play.  He might not be the strongest guy but if very shifty for his height and has speed to burn.

I think some of you guys are overvaluing Hunter. He has great mensurables and speed, but just isn't as great on the field as some of you ppl are hyping him up to be. He has inconsistent hands, isn't a great blocker nor route runner either. There are better WR in this draft IMO.

I think some of you guys are overvaluing Hunter. He has great mensurables and speed, but just isn't as great on the field as some of you ppl are hyping him up to be. He has inconsistent hands, isn't a great blocker nor route runner either. There are better WR in this draft IMO.

ESPN has him as the 3rd best WR only behind Austin and Allen and Austin is small and more of a slot WR and Allen is a little shorter and slower I believe plus Hunter has major hops lol and long arms also not to mention Allen and Austin will both prolly be gone by 24th pick

ESPN has him as the 3rd best WR only behind Austin and Allen and Austin is small and more of a slot WR and Allen is a little shorter and slower I believe plus Hunter has major hops lol and long arms also not to mention Allen and Austin will both prolly be gone by 24th pick

Well we know that doesn't seem too logical seeing as how he wasn't even the best Wr on his own team the last two seasons. Last year Da'Rick Rogers was a more complete wr than him, and still is, he is only getting knocked  bc of his off the field issues. As someone said on here before this years version of Janoris Jenkins (first round talent). Then this year he isn't a better NFL prospect than his teammate Cordarrelle Patterson, and almost every body knows that. Not to mention Deandre Hopkins is a better "football player" than him also. Runs better routes and catches almost everything (unlike hunter). The only advantage I would give Hunter is he might be a better athlete than all of these players, but as far as "Wr" goes no he's not the third best in the draft.

Well we know that doesn't seem too logical seeing as how he wasn't even the best Wr on his own team the last two seasons. Last year Da'Rick Rogers was a more complete wr than him, and still is, he is only getting knocked  bc of his off the field issues. As someone said on here before this years version of Janoris Jenkins (first round talent). Then this year he isn't a better NFL prospect than his teammate Cordarrelle Patterson, and almost every body knows that. Not to mention Deandre Hopkins is a better "football player" than him also. Runs better routes and catches almost everything (unlike hunter). The only advantage I would give Hunter is he might be a better athlete than all of these players, but as far as "Wr" goes no he's not the third best in the draft.

Patterson may be a better football player, but I'm not sure he is a better receiver than hunter. Plus, it doesn't sound like Patterson is the sharpest tool in the shed.

Patterson may be a better football player, but I'm not sure he is a better receiver than hunter. Plus, it doesn't sound like Patterson is the sharpest tool in the shed.

I'm confused..how is he a better football player but not receiver when they both play receiver?? Also, would you take Hunter over Patterson in the draft?

I'm confused..how is he a better football player but not receiver when they both play receiver?? Also, would you take Hunter over Patterson in the draft?

Half of his touchdowns were on running plays and in the return game....at this point he is just super raw as a receiver.

I would take Patterson as long as I felt comfortable with him being able to grasp a complex nfl offense.

Well we know that doesn't seem too logical seeing as how he wasn't even the best Wr on his own team the last two seasons. Last year Da'Rick Rogers was a more complete wr than him, and still is, he is only getting knocked bc of his off the field issues. As someone said on here before this years version of Janoris Jenkins (first round talent). Then this year he isn't a better NFL prospect than his teammate Cordarrelle Patterson, and almost every body knows that. Not to mention Deandre Hopkins is a better "football player" than him also. Runs better routes and catches almost everything (unlike hunter). The only advantage I would give Hunter is he might be a better athlete than all of these players, but as far as "Wr" goes no he's not the third best in the draft.

He isn't rated higher anymore last I checked he was but now in the top 32 there is only 3 WR Austin Allen and Patterson but Patterson did move up in the top 32

Well we know that doesn't seem too logical seeing as how he wasn't even the best Wr on his own team the last two seasons. Last year Da'Rick Rogers was a more complete wr than him, and still is, he is only getting knocked bc of his off the field issues. As someone said on here before this years version of Janoris Jenkins (first round talent). Then this year he isn't a better NFL prospect than his teammate Cordarrelle Patterson, and almost every body knows that. Not to mention Deandre Hopkins is a better "football player" than him also. Runs better routes and catches almost everything (unlike hunter). The only advantage I would give Hunter is he might be a better athlete than all of these players, but as far as "Wr" goes no he's not the third best in the draft.

I do like Patterson as well I would be happy with both but I just like hunter a little more he is taller and he has long arms and is very athletic many do think he could be the best in the draft this year maybe won't show as fast as Austin or Allen but with time I believe he can

Half of his touchdowns were on running plays and in the return game....at this point he is just super raw as a receiver.

I would take Patterson as long as I felt comfortable with him being able to grasp a complex nfl offense.

Tavon Austin scored on a lot of running plays and returns too, that doesn't degrade him as a reciever..he is just more versitile. i.e percy harvin/randal cobb/ty hiliton (but he is much taller than all of them). Either way he is a better overall player than Justin Hunter.

I do like Patterson as well I would be happy with both but I just like hunter a little more he is taller and he has long arms and is very athletic many do think he could be the best in the draft this year maybe won't show as fast as Austin or Allen but with time I believe he can

I'm not saying he can't get better, but right now all you seemed to bet impressed with is his height, speed and jumping ability. The problem with that is that once he gets to the league everyone is a freak athlete so he won't be able to get by on his raw talent like he did in college. He still needs to develop big time on his catching ability, route running, strength and blocking.

I'm not saying he can't get better, but right now all you seemed to bet impressed with is his height, speed and jumping ability. The problem with that is that once he gets to the league everyone is a freak athlete so he won't be able to get by on his raw talent like he did in college. He still needs to develop big time on his catching ability, route running, strength and blocking.

His hands aren't horrible and route running can improve behind Reggie and you can always improve strength he can work out with Landry lol but seriously he can get stronger all of the flaws you see can get better

His hands aren't horrible and route running can improve behind Reggie and you can always improve strength he can work out with Landry lol but seriously he can get stronger all of the flaws you see can get better

It's very possible they can..the question that remains to be seen is will they..?? that's why I would perfer a more proven player in the draft, and not really a player that needs developing with our 24th pick. I personally, think keenan allen, cordarrelle patterson, deandre hopkins, and tavon austin would all be much more solid additions at 24..Assuming we don't trade back or even go wr with this pick. And for the record I'm not locked in about going wr in the first anyways.

It's very possible they can..the question that remains to be seen is will they..?? that's why I would perfer a more proven player in the draft, and not really a player that needs developing with our 24th pick. I personally, think keenan allen, cordarrelle patterson, deandre hopkins, and tavon austin would all be much more solid additions at 24..Assuming we don't trade back or even go wr with this pick. And for the record I'm not locked in about going wr in the first anyways.

My think is also the teams ahead of us that will also take WRs Allen may be gone and Austin will be plus Austin is another slot guy we have Ty I personally do want a WR at 24 so it won't bother me our biggest needs are now WR and OG and you can get good guards deeper in the draft

My think is also the teams ahead of us that will also take WRs Allen may be gone and Austin will be plus Austin is another slot guy we have Ty I personally do want a WR at 24 so it won't bother me our biggest needs are now WR and OG and you can get good guards deeper in the draft

Agreed. After FA we now have the ability to go BPA, so I don't care what position we draft as long as he's the best player on the board and isn't a QB, TE or Tackle (I believe in AC).

Agreed. After FA we now have the ability to go BPA, so I don't care what position we draft as long as he's the best player on the board and isn't a QB, TE or Tackle (I believe in AC).

I believe in AC too I would love to get another guard and let Shipley start cause satelle IMO isn't very good and our line wouldn't be that bad really also I just want a WR cause that a position that can come in and most likely start right away anything else would prolly be a back up after the FA we signed

Tavon Austin scored on a lot of running plays and returns too, that doesn't degrade him as a reciever..he is just more versitile. i.e percy harvin/randal cobb/ty hiliton (but he is much taller than all of them). Either way he is a better overall player than Justin Hunter.

That's pretty much what I said....Patterson is a better football player. But the fact is he only played one year of div1 ball and only had like 50/800/5 receiving. Meanwhile Austin has around 300/3400/29 receiving for his career.

After Rajon Neal got hurt last season Patterson played a lot of RB and was used in reverses quite often.  As a receiver Hunter is far ahead of Patterson.  But with his physical abilities and if he works his butt off the sky is the limit.  Patterson is the epitome of boom or bust.