Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We shouldnt be surprised Colts didnt go after any BIG name guys

After thinking about our haul of FA....i began to think....ive seen this for years. polians nvr liked to be big players in FA and only signed guys for depth. Grigs is the same way. Grigs is a quantity for quality guy. 

I still think the draft is a toss up for wat position we would address in the 1st bc FA didnt address any problems, only patches. I think our biggest needs are still OLB, CB and S. OL did get better but anyone was a upgrade over the OL last year.  

Possible 1st Round Selections After 2nd Day

Banks CB

Trufant CB 

Rhodes CB

Elam S

Cyprein S

Vaccaro S

Moore DE/OLB

D. Jones DE/OLB

Mingo OLB

Okafor OLB

Right now as we sit i see a safety or OLB being our 1st round pick so im between Cyprein and D. Jones. 

I think if you think the guys we signed are only for depth and to be back-ups....   I think you're kidding yourself.

You're going to be greatly disappointed.

Cherilous starts at RT

Toler starts at corner

Walden starts at OLB

Thomas starts at OG

At least,  that's the plan as of today.

Sidbury gets a chance to impress.   He might be depth.   But his contract is also the smallest of the five guys we signed.   A flier with upside.

I think if you think the guys we signed are only for depth and to be back-ups....   I think you're kidding yourself.

You're going to be greatly disappointed.

Cherilous starts at RT

Toler starts at corner

Walden starts at OLB

Thomas starts at OG

At least,  that's the plan as of today.

Sidbury gets a chance to impress.   He might be depth.   But his contract is also the smallest of the five guys we signed.   A flier with upside.

Depth guys on there ex teams to be starters here.....Pack obvisouly didnt want Walden. Lions didnt want Cherlius and we make him the 2nd highest paid RT. Vollmer? thats more of a top tier RT. I like Toler but the price.....yikes. Thomas was a the only one of the bunch that wasnt over paid for. 

Depth guys on there ex teams to be starters here.....Pack obvisouly didnt want Walden. Lions didnt want Cherlius and we make him the 2nd highest paid RT. Vollmer? thats more of a top tier RT. I like Toler but the price.....yikes. Thomas was a the only one of the bunch that wasnt over paid for. 

what makes you think the Lions didn't want Cherilus, they drafted Riley Reiff last year and they felt he could fill in at RT and save money, they also didn't have much cap to begin with and had bigger needs.  Cherilus is a good RT and he is not overpaid if the Colts didn't sign him someone else would have gladly paid him that.

what makes you think the Lions didn't want Cherilus, they drafted Riley Reiff last year and they felt he could fill in at RT and save money, they also didn't have much cap to begin with and had bigger needs.  Cherilus is a good RT and he is not overpaid if the Colts didn't sign him someone else would have gladly paid him that.

Is Cherlius even top 10 talent at RT....no so why pay him like hes a top 5 RT. when vollmer is still on the board moore is stil there, and Andre Smith. all those are better than cherlius. If we over paid for a guy like Vollmer....id be fine bc hes elite RT. Hes done a great job protecting brady. 

Thats what i wanted colts to stay away from.....bidding wars, they will only make sure you severily overpay. 

Is Cherlius even top 10 talent at RT....no so why pay him like hes a top 5 RT. when vollmer is still on the board moore is stil there, and Andre Smith. all those are better than cherlius. If we over paid for a guy like Vollmer....id be fine bc hes elite RT. Hes done a great job protecting brady. 

Thats what i wanted colts to stay away from.....bidding wars, they will only make sure you severily overpay. 

I'm sorry I didn't know you were a scout let me give you Grigs phone # so you can tell him all about Cherilus.

There is a thing called a salary cap....sometimes teams have to make financial decisions

I don't how you are ranking Tackles, but as far as RT's go Cherilus is easily a top 5 RT .... and saying he is not even in the top 10 is ludicrous. Maybe you need to re-watch that film!

I'm very disappointed in our free-agent class.  we have once-in-a-blue-moon to latch on to some "game-changers", some real talent with a pocket full of money and we are swingin' whifs at curve balls.  now don't get me wrong please, I realize Grigs was EOTY and all that.  But it's almost like, well he's 30 something and young and knows he has a long time to do that and these opportunities come up all the time, NOT, they don't. 

I'm very disappointed in our free-agent class.  we have once-in-a-blue-moon to latch on to some "game-changers", some real talent with a pocket full of money and we are swingin' whifs at curve balls.  now don't get me wrong please, I realize Grigs was EOTY and all that.  But it's almost like, well he's 30 something and young and knows he has a long time to do that and these opportunities come up all the time, NOT, they don't.

Yeah, we should've definitely done what the Eagles did in 2011 when Ryan was there. Buy up all the superstars and watch our team cruise along to the Super Bowl.

Oh wait.....

We got guys that Ryan and Chuck believe fit our system the best. Just because we have the cap space, doesn't mean we have to burn it on every big player that moves. Nobody's ever won a Super Bowl in March, so why don't we see how things pan out before we bomb our moves the past couple of days?

Who is Moore? Are you talking about Brandon Moore? Because he isn't even a RT and you want us to believe that you know talent better than Grigson, yet don't even know what position a player plays. Cherilus was the 3rd highest graded RT in football and NFL network had him rated higher than Vollmer.

If Vollmer and Smith were such better options and so far superior to Cherilus, then why are they both still available with so many teams needing OL help?

I'm starting to believe convinced that Cherilus had a bad year to start his career but has improved greatly since then.  The problem is that first impressions are a big deal and if you look bad when you first start off the fans won't be able to get that out of their heads and will always consider you a bust.  

Pro-football focus rated our signing of Cherilus being a common sense deal.  Saying this.

"While Cherilus was never a favorite of the Lions faithful, he had developed into a useful starting right tackle. After a tough rookie year he’s graded positively every season since and held up well in the Lions heavy pass based offense. In fact it was his pass blocking that saw him end up our second ranked right tackle last year, with his pass blocking efficiency grade the 12th best of all offensive tackles as he gave up just 38 quarterback disruptions on 787 Stafford drop-backs. For a Colts team that saw it’s offensive line give up a league leading 244 combined sacks, hits and hurries, that’s a big improvement."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/13/2013-free-agency-deal-grader/

Although to be fair they really didn't like the deal with Erik Walden and consider that the worst free agency deal thus far.