Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New England Patriots needs this off-season FA

IcEWoLF

Well, Wes Welker is gone now, and it appears Amendola might go back to the Rams, so what now for them?

I think Greg Jennings is on the market, the Patriots need a deep threat and I think he is a good downfield receiver and a good route runner.

I think Aaron Hernandez will do a good job replacing Welker, he will get considerably a lot more snaps with Gronk now that Wes is gone.

Brandon Lloyd is good, but I think they should move him inside.

The Patriots will truly need a #2 receiver that can make plays, besides Lloyd and the tight ends I see no one else on our current roster capable of big plays.

BB needs to start going all out on FA since we have few picks this draft...unless BB starts trading people for more picks.

Back to defense,

The Patriots must retain Talib, he is a play maker, he is an instant upgrade on the secondary, once he went down, Anquan Boldin started going off...hopefully he can stay healthy.

Patriots need a pass rusher, if you watched the Patriots games last year you would notice when they blitzed they were successful in the secondary, very few times they were burned.

I except Chandler Jones to improve this year from last year, and hopefully we will see Dont'a Hightower getting better at pass coverage.

Hello Freeney. :)

If they don't address the above, they will not have a long post season, I am sure our division is weak enough to win it...the Dolphins this year might give us a run for our money, but I don't see them being a power house for another couple seasons.

Who is the GM for the Pats? Is it Bill or does he let someone else make the decisions?

I think Belichick and Kraft should let someone else be GM if Bill is GM now. That is just my opinion.

Signing Ed Reed, Pollard, Freeney, Talib, Jennings, and Vollmer would be the late home runs the Pats can hit, if they are serious about it.

Pats should go back to their roots in terms of what helped them win 3 SBs if they want to win another. In 2007 I always sort of felt like the Pats lost their soul with the offensive show they started to put on. It never felt "right" to me with them for some reason, all the records being set and the MVPs and all that. Before 2007 they always seemed like a physical force on both sides of the ball who made key plays when it mattered most.

Defense Defense Defense. Solid offense that can run and protect the QB. Decent but not flashy receivers. They TEs are already there if they stay healthy.

Pats should go back to their roots in terms of what helped them win 3 SBs if they want to win another. In 2007 I always sort of felt like the Pats lost their soul with the offensive show they started to put on. It never felt "right" to me with them for some reason, all the records being set and the MVPs and all that. Before 2007 they always seemed like a physical force on both sides of the ball who made key plays when it mattered most.

Defense Defense Defense. Solid offense that can run and protect the QB. Decent but not flashy receivers. They TEs are already there if they stay healthy.

yes and no:)  Early NE defenses were good as a unit and experienced in schemes. Those schemes are now used by most teams (copy cat league). Player wise on strict talent they lacked. The Rams actually had better players in the 01 SB.

Teddy B for all his accolades was actually an average football player abiet a very good average. His experience came into being towards the end and the schemes BB ran which were rather new at the time. I mean Tebucky Jones? :)  Rodney Harrison would be fined today for just looking at an opponent.

Passing is..well its just the game in town today.

Still, defense is important in the playoffs. On that note BB as drafted well the last two years in defense and he may well have the core he wants. Well once he gets the secondary in order but that was his strong suit. Its the front 7:)

yes and no:)  Early NE defenses were good as a unit and experienced in schemes. Those schemes are now used by most teams (copy cat league). Player wise on strict talent they lacked. The Rams actually had better players in the 01 SB.

Teddy B for all his accolades was actually an average football player abiet a very good average. His experience came into being towards the end and the schemes BB ran which were rather new at the time. I mean Tebucky Jones? :)  Rodney Harrison would be fined today for just looking at an opponent.

Passing is..well its just the game in town today.

Still, defense is important in the playoffs. On that note BB as drafted well the last two years in defense and he may well have the core he wants. Well once he gets the secondary in order but that was his strong suit. Its the front 7:)

Yeah true, but we have been hearing they might get it in order for years haha.

I am surprised NE has not tried to make any moves yet at DB but then again I can never predict what the Pats will do. :)

I posted this on the other thread as well. Great article on how Belichick knows when to move on from a player, http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9051254/bill-barnwell-second-day-nfl-free-agency

Fairly biased article. Uses Adam Vinatieri as an example of a good cut Bill made, except for he's been very reliable for us for 6 or 7 years and was superb in our SB run.

Also completely ignores Asante Samuel

Fairly biased article. Uses Adam Vinatieri as an example of a good cut Bill made, except for he's been very reliable for us for 6 or 7 years and was superb in our SB run.

IMO it was a good cut. AV couldn't KO and roster spots are big for BB.

Samuel..eh.

Yeah true, but we have been hearing they might get it in order for years haha.

I am surprised NE has not tried to make any moves yet at DB but then again I can never predict what the Pats will do. :)

Well in the past he hasn't spent big on secondary cus'..well they get injured too much. So he goes with the hodge pod and relies on front seven.

Well in the past he hasn't spent big on secondary cus'..well they get injured too much. So he goes with the hodge pod and relies on front seven.

Our win against the Ravens en route to our last SB win thanks Mr. Belichik's preference of 1 extra 3rd string player.

Also I quoted the wrong quote, sorry.

Our win against the Ravens en route to our last SB win thanks Mr. Belichik's preference of 1 extra 3rd string player.

Also I quoted the wrong quote, sorry.

np on quote but

BB's 3rd string players aren't 3rd string to him but rather starters..or rather able to start.

Vinatieri actually supports Belichick. Goskowski has been a better kicker than Adam the past six seasons (Peter King has the break down which I will try to find) and also does kick-offs which Adam could no longer do when Bill let him go. In terms of the playoffs, Goskowski out-kicked Adam in the AFC champ game in Indy in 2006. While Adam certainly had good football left in him, Bill made the right move at the right time to Goskowski which is the point of this author's article.

In terms of Samuels, he was 26 when he left. Bill knew he was still a great corner but did not want to pay top dollar for him (he never pays top dollar for secondary but relies more on his front 7, that is his philosophy) so he did not re-sign him. Remember Samuels was Ty Law's replacement whom he also let go in his 30's when Law still had something left but Samuels was a better replacement. I do agree though that he has never drafted a quality guy or gotten a FA for Samuels. Leigh Bodden was supposed to be that guy but he could not stay healthy. He was a pretty good cover guy when healthy.

Vinatieri actually supports Belichick. Goskowski has been a better kicker than Adam the past six seasons (Peter King has the break down which I will try to find) and also does kick-offs which Adam could no longer do when Bill let him go. In terms of the playoffs, Goskowski out-kicked Adam in the AFC champ game in Indy in 2006. While Adam certainly had good football left in him, Bill made the right move at the right time to Goskowski which is the point of this author's article.

In terms of Samuels, he was 26 when he left. Bill knew he was still a great corner but did not want to pay top dollar for him (he never pays top dollar for secondary but relies more on his front 7, that is his philosophy) so he did not re-sign him. Remember Samuels was Ty Law's replacement whom he also let go in his 30's when Law still had something left but Samuels was a better replacement. I do agree though that he has never drafted a quality guy or gotten a FA for Samuels. Leigh Bodden was supposed to be that guy but he could not stay healthy. He was a pretty good cover guy when healthy.

I meant to say Goskowski went toe to toe with him in the regular season game in 2006 that was played in Foxboro and the AFC champ game that year. 

IMO it was a good cut. AV couldn't KO and roster spots are big for BB.

Samuel..eh.

I agree. Letting Vinatieri walk was definitely the right thing to do at the time. If the Patriots lost a playoff game or a Super Bowl on a shank by Gostkowski since then, that would be one thing. But if Adam Vinatieri had been a Patriot this entire time, I guarantee you there would be zero difference in terms of wins/losses.

Samuel is one of those guys who takes a lot of chances. Go to a defensive stats website and you can see how many interceptions he had in any given season, but not how many completions he gave up on 3rd down, how many plays of 20+ yards he surrendered, etc. I liked Asante but he was asking for more than he was worth. He wanted "lockdown" corner money and he's never been that guy.

A wide receiver. We don't want Mr. Bundchen to have to throw the ball to himself. It wouldn't turn out too well... and it doesn't take a wizard to see that.The after game confrences would be better if the wife ran them.

That my friend, was was a little piece of genius wrapped up in satire. MVP material.....thanks.

I agree. Letting Vinatieri walk was definitely the right thing to do at the time. If the Patriots lost a playoff game or a Super Bowl on a shank by Gostkowski since then, that would be one thing. But if Adam Vinatieri had been a Patriot this entire time, I guarantee you there would be zero difference in terms of wins/losses.

Samuel is one of those guys who takes a lot of chances. Go to a defensive stats website and you can see how many interceptions he had in any given season, but not how many completions he gave up on 3rd down, how many plays of 20+ yards he surrendered, etc. I liked Asante but he was asking for more than he was worth. He wanted "lockdown" corner money and he's never been that guy.

Nicely put Mr J. Kickers are more expendable than pro-bowl DE's in the wrong system..... 

Well he said he was the best and his tatoo said pay me:)  TY Law heard that and went into fits lol