Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson: "Not in my DNA to go after Names...."

NewColtsFan

So what does director of player personnel do if he doesn't have anything to do with getting players on the team?

They coordinate team travel, direct players how to deal with the media, new player orientations, work to solve player problems, set in on contract negotiations, etc. etc..

They coordinate team travel, direct players how to deal with the media, new player orientations, work to solve player problems, set in on contract negotiations, etc. etc..

doesn't sound like qualifications to be a GM if there's no involvement in bringing players to the team.

doesn't sound like qualifications to be a GM if there's no involvement in bringing players to the team.

They can have input on that, but the Owner's and GM's are the one's ultimately making the decisions. The players Philly added may or may not have had anything at all to do with Grigson's input.

I'm sure there is more to it than that. I don't think Irsay would have hired him if that's all he did.

I'm sure there is more to it than that. I don't think Irsay would have hired him if that's all he did.

Grigson has an extensive scouting background. I'm sure his input was taken under consideration when decisions were made, especially regarding the draft and younger players. But the decisions the Eagles made in free agency were head honcho decisions. Any scout can tell you about Nnamdi and Babin and so on, but the owner, GM and coach pull the trigger on the contracts. So I wouldn't say Grigson had nothing to do with those decisions, but I would assume that they were his decisions.

Take what the Colts did last season under the circumstances they faced and that is all that needs to be said about the validity of Ryan.

Whatever he did at Philly had a bearing on his hire, but what he has done since stands alone and is the new standard for his performance.

I think what I put into bold is a small part of what the Dir. of Pro Personnel does...   the rest falls to other people in the front office.

Dir. of Pro Personnel I believe oversees team evaluations of the players on other teams.    So, when a player can be acquired either through free agency, or trade, or some other means,  there's an up to date evaluation of that player.   So of the Pro level equivalent of the Dir. of College Scouting. 

I suspect there's more to it than just that....   but I think you get the idea....

The GM then oversees both people,  the Dir. of Pro Personnel and the Dir. of College Scouting and ultimately makes the final decisions.

That's my understanding of things at least.....