Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Players of the Season Part 1: JJ Watt

Dustin

I figured that since we have a couple months until the beginning of the new league year I'd start up a series that would observe last seasons best and most effective players. I'll try to get a couple of these out every few days. Hopefully this can helps you with your need of a football fix a little bit. haha

JJ Watt:

This season JJ Watt had what I consider one of, if not the, greatest season ever by a defensive player.

Watt feasted on opposing O-lines and gave the single season sack record held by Michael Strahan a close run, broke an NFL record for deflected passes by an defensive lineman with 16 and led the league in tackles for losses with 42 (the next closest was 28)

Why do I say that Watt had the best defensive season ever? Because he did all of this while playing as an interior defensive-lineman. That's right, contrary to popular belief Watt only played 6.9% of his 958 defensive snaps as anything other than a 3-4 defensive end.

To put these insane sack numbers into perspective: Out of 44 players in NFL history to have more than 16 sacks in a season, only 3 of them were 3-4 DEs (JJ Watt in 2012, Bruce Smith 1990, Fred Dean 1983).

Watt also ranked 10th this season in pass deflections. Having as many as Ed Reed, Charles Tillman and Kareem Jackson. He also had more than Chris Culliver, Antonio Cromartie and Ronde Barber. The next closest lineman to Watt's pass defections was San Diego 4-3 DE Corey Liuget who finished the season with 9. 3 of Watt's pass deflections led directly to interceptions for his teammates. Combine this with his 4 forced fumbles and Watt is directly responsible for 7 turnovers.

Last season Pro Football Focus ranked 49ers 3-4 DE Justin Smith as the second best player in the league with a grade of +46.5. This season JJ Watt finished with a rating of +101.7. More than doubling Smith's season!

Not only was JJ Watt the best defensive player in the league this year; he was also the most dominant player at any position in the league! I'm honestly shocked he didn't get a single vote for MVP.

All in all Watt had one of the best seasons in the history of the NFL and I felt like it was very overlooked because of Peyton and Peterson's returns from injuries. With Watt's season I feel like we may never see another defensive MVP in the league again.

I have some players already planned out for the next few weeks, but if you want you can recommend some other players and I'll try to get to them eventually.

Sorry this is kind of sparse btw. It's more difficult than you would think to find stats for 3-4 DEs.

Rest assured that I'll be much thorough when I get to the QBs and running backs.

Dustin:  Excellent write up.....no matter where it should go  haha

Watt was the single most dominant player I saw all year....on defense.....simply an amazing talent....like him or the Texans....or not!!! ( I HAD TO ADD THAT :))

Look forward to the other players in your series!!!   :thmup:

Yes, Watt had a great season. But I'd like to point out that in the last game of the season, a game they needed and we didn't, Watt disappeared in the fourth quarter.

Well to be fair I don't think there was a single team in the entire league that could beat us that day.

Well to be fair I don't think there was a single team in the entire league that could beat us that day.

I think I'm as proud of that final ten minutes of the season as any other. Watt was involved in one stop, and was then either run over or taken out for the rest of that drive. Chuck Power!

To get as many sacks as he did as a 3-4 DE is unreal.  He almost broke the single season sack mark as a 3-4 DE!  Watt is young, extremely talented, and has a great motor.  It simply doesn't get easy for AFC South QBs and O-linemen.  They've had to deal with Freeney and Mathis for a long time and now they will have to deal with Watt for a number of years (meanwhile the Titans and Jags are still looking for a consistent pass rusher).  On top of it all, Watt is a guy who is easy to cheer for.  You can't stand him when you have to face him on the field since he is so good and so disruptive, but he is an incredibly classy guy.

Not much else to say. His performance was off the charts. Scary that he could be half as good next year and still be one of the top defensive players. 

I know he kind of had his coming out party last year with the pick 6 against Dalton in the playoffs, but the following week against the Ravens he played masterfully. 

Wade Phillips described him as the 'perfect player' who never quits. Hopefully we will be privy to his accomplishments for years to come!

hi-res-6855046_display_image.jpg?1355803

I don't have much to add but I will say this...he's only getting started! Can't wait to see him and Cushing together again. Go Texans. :number1:

They are truly symbiotic. It can't run with only one of them on the field. That was painfully obvious last year...

They are truly symbiotic. It can't run with only one of them on the field. That was painfully obvious last year...

Yep....it was painful to see knowing how well the defense could actually be. Cush is ahead of schedule though, so hopefully they'll be able to get even more reps together in training camp and we'll be even more impressed on the field next season.