Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any doubts on the 49ers vs. Atlanta?

Jules

I have been leaning towards the 49ers to make the Super Bowl and still am. But, I am having a few doubts lately.

Why?

-Again, Atlanta is getting little to no respect from what I see or hear. Kaepernick is stealing the headlines. Sure, he was great vs. the Packers running around making them look ridiculous. But a lot of teams make the Packers D going back to last year look ridiculous. Kaep is a good enough QB I think on a very good team, but can we stop making him into a Steve Young/Joe Montana hybrid already until he at least gets to the SB or wins it? Matt Ryan? *crickets*

-It is in Atlanta. But, like last week I see Atlanta as an underdog by bettors unless things have changed and I am unaware of this. People have been REALLY high on the NFC West teams. I see very few picking Atlanta by the media so far.

-Yeah Atlanta got lucky last week, so do a lot of teams in the playoffs. *shrugs*

-The hate factor towards Atlanta by the Saints fans. Anyone remember how badly we didn't want NE in the SB last year? Oops. Well, it often happens that way. I know many Saints fans now hate the 49ers too but is it as strong as hating their division rival who they would likely like to keep under them in terms of recent postseason success?

Thoughts on the NFC title game?

dunno why but im thinking atlanta =/ my brain says 49ers significantly but dunno it feels like its matty ice time...maybe its the Nolan factor

I know, something feels "off" to me too and I don't know what it is!

My brain and gut are going in opposite directions. Brain=49ers easily. Gut=Falcons luck out.

Atlanta I just checked has been 4 to 5 point dogs all week, at home! largest home conference championship underdogs I ready In history. :woah:

49ers just have that feel about them that they are the team that can win it all.

Atlanta reminds me of the early 2000 Colts with how loaded the offense is. Bad thing is, they didn't do a lot in the playoffs, which is why I think 49ers are like the 2000s Pats. 

I think these two teams will be stable fixtures for the title game, but the 49ers will prevail.

Am going falcons after getting that first playoff win players will feel alot easier now plus confidence higher should be good game but I dnt think the falcons will get run all over like the pack I got falcons winning superbowl aslong as pats or ravens dont win superbowl am happy

Lost in last week's niners/pack game was how Rodgers shredded that niner D. I expect Ryan to have similar success. The falcons will also not let Kaep run just like they shut down Russell Wilson. I also like Atlanta to be more relaxed which should help them score more. I think they win by 10-14 points.

You rarely see a #2 vs #2 in the SB, we saw a #1 vs #1 with the Colts vs Saints but those instances are far and few between.

Falcons vs Patriots is what I am guessing though that would make it terrible for the Harbaugh brothers. :(

Besides, Mike Nolan had a good game plan vs Russell Wilson and forced Russell Wilson to beat him less with the zone read stuff and more with the conventional QB stuff, which RW almost did. This game will again be forced the same way, forcing Kaepernick to beat the Falcons throwing the ball. With crowd noise on the road, it is harder to throw the ball than run, so it is a safer game plan against zone read QBs, IMO, to force them to beat you through the air.

Plus, the 49ers pass D is not as stout as last year, IMO when their secondary play was better.

You rarely see a #2 vs #2 in the SB, we saw a #1 vs #1 with the Colts vs Saints but those instances are far and few between.

Falcons vs Patriots is what I am guessing though that would make it terrible for the Harbaugh brothers. :(

Besides, Mike Nolan had a good game plan vs Russell Wilson and forced Russell Wilson to beat him less with the zone read stuff and more with the conventional QB stuff, which RW almost did. This game will again be forced the same way, forcing Kaepernick to beat the Falcons throwing the ball. With crowd noise on the road, it is harder to throw the ball than run, so it is a safer game plan against zone read QBs, IMO, to force them to beat you through the air.

Plus, the 49ers pass D is not as stout as last year, IMO when their secondary play was better.

Completely agree. Not sure why everyone thinks niners will be a slam dunk. Wilson is volumes better than Kaep and they bottled him up until Smith went completely brain dead in the fourth quarter and Ryan started throwing picks. I think the match ups heavily favor Atlanta especially at home. There is a reason why Atlanta was the best team all year in the NFL.

Atlanta nearly lost that game last week if it wasn't for Carroll making bone head decisions. 2 bad decisions gave the game to Atlanta. They blew a 20 point lead, and won by the skins of their teeth. This is the same defense ranked 25th in the league that was supposedly so "great" they got slashed to bits by Seattle's passing game.

They played the easiest schedule all year (easier than Denver yes) and now they are playing the most dangerous team left in it. There is a reason S.F. has beat all the big QB's they've faced under Harbaugh and they will beat Matt Ryan. Everyone who thinks this kid is better than Brees and some "elite" is about to see just how good he really is. This is the same defense that beat Brady, Brees, and Rodgers twice....Atlanta is going to get smothered. They will go into this game physically worn down from the Seattle game they should have lost, and all it's going to take is 2 picks or a fumble, and the Niners are going to get the score run up early, and stay on top. Oh the Falcons will get their stats, cause they will be playing catch up the entire game.

Lost in last week's niners/pack game was how Rodgers shredded that niner D. I expect Ryan to have similar success. The falcons will also not let Kaep run just like they shut down Russell Wilson. I also like Atlanta to be more relaxed which should help them score more. I think they win by 10-14 points.

Rodgers shredded their defense? Yeah I guess 250 yards, 2 TD's and 3 INT (2 of them called back on nonsense calls) is "shredding it". Not to mention how bad the Niners secondary was all over those wide receivers. Those guys play hard ball, they make you hurt when they hit you. The Saints didn't learn this last year when we played them, which is why I wasn't shocked we got our * handed to us by them this year around.

Atlanta game Russell Wilson his first 300 yard game, and he nearly had 400 yards against them. Now that is shredding. Kaep set the record for most yardage by a QB last week against GB's 16th ranked defense. ATL is ranked 25th on defense. No way they are going to stop that kid.

Good points as always Chad, the last few days I also have been wondering about my SF euphoria and noticing how much disrespect Atlanta is still receiving. And I also wondered about the #2 vs. #2 thing and how often this happens? Anyone care to look this all up be my guest and I would love it. :) I do know a #1 seed in SB history does tend to often make the SB right? As soon as Denver lost I feel it favored Atlanta to not go one and done more. In 2008 though we did see both #1 seeds go down in the first game but it seems more rare.

The storylines we could get:

Ravens vs. Falcons #4 vs. #1: Like last year a #1 vs. #4 but with much less of a storyline. This is the most boring of the potential SB's to me. I can't find a single thing to connect these two teams.

Ravens vs. 49ers: #2 vs. #4: It would really suck to see both brothers lose the title games like last year but it could happen. This would be an intriguing brother vs. brother SB if it occurred. Besides, sometimes I wonder if Jim Harbaugh is meant to do this in 3's in terms of losing the title game; 1995/2011/2012.

Patriots vs. 49ers: #2 vs #2. Brady going for #4 vs. his boyhood team and trying to tie Montana. Already played an exciting game this season on primetime

Patriots vs. Falcons: #2 vs. #1. Historically this seeding might make the most sense? And you would have the team from Boston vs. the Boston College graduate in Matt Ryan. If I was going by the 2001 pattern this makes sense too since like the Rams the Falcons are the #1 seed and a dome team. Earlier I thought it made more sense for the Pats to play the 49ers due to them already having played this season.

Atlanta nearly lost that game last week if it wasn't for Carroll making bone head decisions. 2 bad decisions gave the game to Atlanta. They blew a 20 point lead, and won by the skins of their teeth. This is the same defense ranked 25th in the league that was supposedly so "great" they got slashed to bits by Seattle's passing game.

They played the easiest schedule all year (easier than Denver yes) and now they are playing the most dangerous team left in it. There is a reason S.F. has beat all the big QB's they've faced under Harbaugh and they will beat Matt Ryan. Everyone who thinks this kid is better than Brees and some "elite" is about to see just how good he really is. This is the same defense that beat Brady, Brees, and Rodgers twice....Atlanta is going to get smothered. They will go into this game physically worn down from the Seattle game they should have lost, and all it's going to take is 2 picks or a fumble, and the Niners are going to get the score run up early, and stay on top. Oh the Falcons will get their stats, cause they will be playing catch up the entire game.

Rodgers shredded their defense? Yeah I guess 250 yards, 2 TD's and 3 INT (2 of them called back on nonsense calls) is "shredding it". Not to mention how bad the Niners secondary was all over those wide receivers. Those guys play hard ball, they make you hurt when they hit you. The Saints didn't learn this last year when we played them, which is why I wasn't shocked we got our * handed to us by them this year around.

Atlanta game Russell Wilson his first 300 yard game, and he nearly had 400 yards against them. Now that is shredding. Kaep set the record for most yardage by a QB last week against GB's 16th ranked defense. ATL is ranked 25th on defense. No way they are going to stop that kid.

I am sorry Bogie. Mentally I still favor the 49ers but we have to cover every angle here no matter how much it hurts! Realize we had Tom Brady vs. Eli Manning in our Super Bowl last year. It can get worse. :)

Root Root Root for the 49ers though!