Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I expect the Falcons to beat the Seahawks

chad72

Everyone is dogging on Ryan and the Falcons. I know the Seahawks are the hot team but I do think Ryan and the Falcons will be ready this year and get the monkey off the back in a big way, beating the Seahawks.

Matt Ryan lost to the Cardinals, Packers, and Giants in 3 consecutive years, all teams that made the SB (something similar to who Peyton and the Colts lost to in 2003, 2004 & 2005 - all teams that won the SB). Not that it would make them feel better if the Seahawks beat them and made it to the SB but I do think they will be up to the task this year.

I remember Peyton being 0-3 in the playoffs before winning 2 in a row and then losing to the Pats in the 2003 AFCCG.

I expect Ryan and the Falcons to do something similar with a win tomorrow vs the Seahawks.

thoughts???

I don't think Atlanta can do enough to beat Seattle's defense.  Browner and Sherman have the ability to take care of Julio and Roddy and you could use Wagner or Thomas on Gonzalez.  The loss of Clemons does hurt, but Seattle has a lot of good pass rushers.  And I've never been sold on Atlanta's defense this year.

I think the refs play a major factor in this game.  If Browner and Sherman are allowed 'serious' contact with the nice Falcon tandem of receivers, Seattle will win this game.  If we see flags on contact after five yards the Falcons win.

In some games we have seen 'excessive contact' allowed, and in others we have seen 'touch fouls' called.....how will the refs call this game?

My only other thought was west coast eat coast 3 hour difference, but that was nullified last week although the Seahawks started sluggishly (would have been 10 AM in Seattle/ this one like 1:30 PM)

This is a 'pick-em'- game for me....I am going to relax and enjoy....nothing to lose....but rooting for the Seahawks....:)

I think the refs play a major factor in this game.  If Browner and Sherman are allowed 'serious' contact with the nice Falcon tandem of receivers, Seattle will win this game.  If we see flags on contact after five yards the Falcons win.

In some games we have seen 'excessive contact' allowed, and in others we have seen 'touch fouls' called.....how will the refs call this game?

My only other thought was west coast eat coast 3 hour difference, but that was nullified last week although the Seahawks started sluggishly (would have been 10 AM in Seattle/ this one like 1:30 PM)

This is a 'pick-em'- game for me....I am going to relax and enjoy....nothing to lose....but rooting for the Seahawks.... :)

Roddy White gets away with push offs every game. I have never seen a WR get away with it more in my life. If the Falcons didn't have that least penalized offense in the league, they would be getting flagged every down for offensive pass interference and holding. Just watch White, he does it every single play almost.

Roddy White gets away with push offs every game. I have never seen a WR get away with it more in my life. If the Falcons didn't have that least penalized offense in the league, they would be getting flagged every down for offensive pass interference and holding. Just watch White, he does it every single play almost.

You ever watch Randy Moss? King of push offs.

I will say the same thing I said about the matchup last week: keep Russell Wilson in the pocket and the Seahawks are a bad offense.  Lynch will get his yardage one way or another but he won't do enough damage by himself to win games for them.

Play disciplined defense and make a few plays here and there on offense and they're quite beatable, even by the Falcons who are the least convincing #1 seed I have ever seen.

I don't think Atlanta can do enough to beat Seattle's defense.  Browner and Sherman have the ability to take care of Julio and Roddy and you could use Wagner or Thomas on Gonzalez.  The loss of Clemons does hurt, but Seattle has a lot of good pass rushers.  And I've never been sold on Atlanta's defense this year.

Seattle really isn't a great pass-rushing team, though.  Clemons and Irvin are good individually but they each benefit from the coverage skills of that secondary.  There isn't anyone else in the picture who can rush the passer even half-decently.

Not sure what to think about this one. No Falcons fan in me at all but I sorta feel bad for Matt Ryan if he loses this one too.

Atlanta seems to draw some really tough games in the first round every year.....ouch.

I also am sick of the Seattle wagon and hype so yeah......go Falcons. I mean come on, a number one seed this crapped on at home is sad!!!! Yeah I know they are overrated but it seems after Denver losing that the odds might favor the Falcons now to win? Guess we'll see.......

I don't know about the bandwagon for Seattle :), all I want to see is a well officiated/refereed game where there is not room for misinterpretation of interference calls, booth calls etc.  If you are going to let the big boys play tell them...and if you are going to call int both ways do it.....and may the best team win.  At least the fans are not killing each other in arguments like the Bronco/Raven/Patriot/Texan thread.....just sayin   :funny:

I like Seattle in this matchup. I just don't think much of the Falcons, they seem soft IMO. Seattle just seems to match up better at every position except QB and even that is kind of a toss up.

Well, so far Seattle and Atlanta both are proving me wrong. Terrible performance by Seattle so far. Maybe Atlanta is just better than I gave them credit for.

Well, so far Seattle and Atlanta both are proving me wrong. Terrible performance by Seattle so far. Maybe Atlanta is just better than I gave them credit for.

Again, the odds are in Atlanta's favor. You can make an argument that the last few SB champs have lost 1 or 2 games in their last 5 games. Peyton started 0-3 in playoff games and the odds were in his favor that he win one, same thing with Matt Ryan, especially when he is at home. That is why the odds were not in the Broncos' favor because they won too many in a row.

Lose some to win more later. 2006 - Colts, 2007 - Giants, 2008 - Steelers, 2009 - Saints, 2010 - Packers, 2011 - Giants, every single one of them lost a game in their last 4 or 5 before winning it all, if my memory serves right.

Falcons, they did not rest their starters in the last game, had 2 key injuries to starters but then had the bye week to heal up. Steelers in 2008 had an injury to Big Ben in their last game where they did not rest their starters but came out blazing. Not resting starters has worked out well more times than not, based on history.

Again, the odds are in Atlanta's favor. You can make an argument that the last few SB champs have lost 1 or 2 games in their last 5 games. Peyton started 0-3 in playoff games and the odds were in his favor that he win one, same thing with Matt Ryan, especially when he is at home. That is why the odds were not in the Broncos' favor because they won too many in a row.

Lose some to win more later. 2006 - Colts, 2007 - Giants, 2008 - Steelers, 2009 - Saints, 2010 - Packers, 2011 - Giants, every single one of them lost a game in their last 4 or 5 before winning it all, if my memory serves right.

Falcons, they did not rest their starters in the last game, had 2 key injuries to starters but then had the bye week to heal up. Steelers in 2008 had an injury to Big Ben in their last game where they did not rest their starters but came out blazing. Not resting starters has worked out well more times than not, based on history.

Well, Im not a big believer in odds so I won't address that, but I certainly agree with you on the bloded part. If Atlanta goes on to win this game, I still think San Fran will destroy them.

I am not ready to say Atlanta wins the whole thing yet but this looks good, at least they should get one playoff win. SF will be a tough game to get by.

However, I did suspect the early start time and travel would get to Seattle and it has.

Well, Im not a big believer in odds so I won't address that, but I certainly agree with you on the bloded part. If Atlanta goes on to win this game, I still think San Fran will destroy them.

I always thought Seattle was overrated.

But, a #1 seed often seems to have good odds to reach the SB too and with Denver out the odds (which you hate lol) increase for Atlanta.

I might have to rethink Pats/SF which I have had.

It would be a gift though to the AFC winner IMO if they drew Atanta over SF I feel. I think NE if they won the AFC would have a tougher time with the 49ers over the Falcons.

I do think Matt Ryan beats the 49ers too albeit in a close game. If he loses, it will be at the Saints Superdome where he will have Saints fans and AFC fans rooting against him most likely.

I do think Matt Ryan beats the 49ers too albeit in a close game. If he loses, it will be at the Saints Superdome where he will have Saints fans and AFC fans rooting against him most likely.

Imagine if it came down to the Pats vs. NFC East pattern. :woah:

But the patterns have the old AFC West jinxes on them too so I dunno right now......

Baltimore and Atlanta would be pretty boring so I hope that is not the SB actually.

All you have to do is ask Bogie, no Saints wants any part of the Falcons in the SB. But, Saints fans (not him) have developed a new hate for the 49ers too.

They hate the Pats too but then again everyone hates the Pats.

Not sure how Saints fans feel about the Ravens. But, they do despise the Falcons, just read their forums this year at times and they HATE them.

If we get Ravens at Pats and 49ers at Atlanta...

I would probably do what I did last year and favor one road team and one home team.

So we get Ravens/Falcons or Pats/49ers.

I think the league would prefer Pats/49ers though. ;) Brady vs. his boyhood team to try and tie Montana with #4 is a bigger story for them then just Ray Lewis retiring IMO.

Of course if Houston wins it changes a lot but I can't imagine it right now. I just can't......

If we get Ravens at Pats and 49ers at Atlanta...

I would probably do what I did last year and favor one road team and one home team.

So we get Ravens/Falcons or Pats/49ers.

I think the league would prefer Pats/49ers though. ;) Brady vs. his boyhood team to try and tie Montana with #4 is a bigger story for them than just Ray Lewis retiring IMO.

Of course if Houston wins it changes a lot but I can't imagine it right now. I just can't......

If Ray Lewis does get to the SB, I hope the zebras dont officiate like the Bettis' farewell SB.

But then, deep down, I do believe that the Baltimore franchise has to win a SB before the Colts franchise ties the count.

If Ray Lewis does get to the SB, I hope the zebras dont officiate like the Bettis' farewell SB.

But then, deep down, I do believe that the Baltimore franchise has to win a SB before the Colts franchise ties the count.

Yeah that would suck.

From a pure football standpoint 49ers/Pats might be the best SB matchup left based on the regular season fireworks they had too.

3rd and 10.......Wilson needs a big play right here....

In fact Timeout......

Even if Atlanta holds on, they will get beat by the 49er's. Atlanta really reminds me of the old Colts teams that took forever to get over the hump in the playoffs because they are kind of soft IMO.