Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chelsea_fc end of season mock draft

First of all congradulations to the Colts on a great season, I could not be more proud of what we accomplished this year.  But now on to a very fun offseason and one I'm sure there will be a lot of changes.  This is obviously based on what our needs are currently, we all have no idea what players are going to be signed this offseason, so this is all subject to change.  I am going to make one assumption, however, and that is the offensive line will be fixed through free agency, so you will not see that reflected in my draft.  So here is my current mock draft, complete with alternate picks as well:

ROUND 1:

• Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
    • Height/Weight:  6’2”/217 lbs.
    • Season Stats:  39 tackles, 3 INT, 7 PD
    • Strong, physical man corner to pair with Vontae next year.
  • Alternate pick:  Ezekiel Ansah, DE/OLB, BYU

ROUND 3:

• Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida State
    • Height/Weight:  6’3”/260 lbs.
    • Season Stats (2011):  41 tackles, 12 TFL, 8 sacks
    • Potential first rounder, but drops due to his injury, replacement for Freeney.
  • Alternate pick:  Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

ROUND 4:

• Robert Lester, S, Alabama
    • Height/Weight:  6’2”/210 lbs.
    • Season Stats:  42 tackles, 4 INT, 3.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks
    • Steady production throughout his career, hard hitter and a great pickup in the 4th to replace Zibikowski.
  • Alternate pick:  Baccari Rambo, S, Georgia

ROUND 6:

• Travis Bond, OG, North Carolina
    • Height/Weight:  6’6”/345 lbs.
    • Descent guard option, brought in as depth and maybe potential starter in the future.  Could become a mauler and has a bit of a mean streak, good run blocker.
  • Alternate pick:  Bruce Taylor, ILB, Virginia Tech

ROUND 6 (compensation):

• Brandon Williams, DT, Southern Missouri State (Div II)
    • Height/Weight:  6’2”/330 lbs.
    • Season Stats:  68 tackles, 16.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 5 FF
    • This is my sneaky good pick late in the draft and I’d be willing to take a flyer on this guy. I understand his competition is division II, but that kind of production is hard to argue with, and he has been solid throughout his college career (27 career sacks).
  • Alternate pick:  Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee Martin

ROUND 7:

• Joe Kruger, DE, Utah
    • Height/Weight:  6’7”/270 lbs.
    • Season Stats:  30 tackles, 8 TFL, 1 INT, 6 sacks, 2 FF
    • A little on the lite side for a defensive end in the 3-4, but could add bulk.  His height could be an advantage at being able to get up and swat down balls and can set the edge well.
  • Alternate pick:  Dan Giordano, DE/OLB, Cincinnati

Nice draft but I want a stud O Lineman early in the draft, Im not up for getting some bum journeymen O Line through FA, we saw how that went this year

We did not have the cap space to afford quality linemen, although we could have some great future backups on our roster!

Nice draft but I want a stud O Lineman early in the draft, Im not up for getting some bum journeymen O Line through FA, we saw how that went this year

Gavin I understand what you're saying and completely agree that we need an upgrade, but if you remember last offseason we had no money and had to do a patchwork offensive line. That's not the case this year and can afford to go get a real offensive line. So I say let us spend the money on the line and fix the defense in the draft.

I don't think we have a seventh but either way we should give up a 4 and maybe a 6 to move up and get warmack or other linemen i saw you said we address oline in free agency but still

We do have a seventh round pick. Grigson stated that we get that conditional pick we sent to the Eagles for Fokou and Lloyd back since Lloyd didn't make the team. The pick we gave up for Gordy is in the 2014 draft. The only picks we are missing is the 2nd for Vontae and the 5th for Hilton.

Ben Grubbs, Carl Nicks and Eric Winston are all bums?

The problem is....  as of today,   there are no Nicks or Grubbs....  they're both great guards and so far,  I don't think there are great guards in this FA class.    Some good guards,  but not great.

Winston is a nice tackle, but he's not special.  

There appear to be several of those...   now the question becomes which one does Grigson target?

I don't think this FA class is very strong.    That might change in the next month or two, but as of today,  I don't think there's great talent or depth.

I hope I'm wrong.

The problem is....  as of today,   there are no Nicks or Grubbs....  they're both great guards and so far,  I don't think there are great guards in this FA class.    Some good guards,  but not great.

Winston is a nice tackle, but he's not special.  

There appear to be several of those...   now the question becomes which one does Grigson target?

I don't think this FA class is very strong.    That might change in the next month or two, but as of today,  I don't think there's great talent or depth.

I hope I'm wrong.

Agree, but I'm not sure I would want to invest the kind of money in a guard that nicks received. I would be very satisfied with Vasquez at guard

Agree, but I'm not sure I would want to invest the kind of money in a guard that nicks received. I would be very satisfied with Vasquez at guard

Me too.....   if we keep the same OL philosophy,  then Vazquez is the quality guard I think fits us best.    He'd be a target for me.

The question then becomes....   who else?    And how many more OL's do we need/sign??   At least one more, and maybe two.

Must Protect The Franchise!     Must Protect The Franchise!     Must Protect The Franchise!   

Me too.....   if we keep the same OL philosophy,  then Vazquez is the quality guard I think fits us best.    He'd be a target for me.

The question then becomes....   who else?    And how many more OL's do we need/sign??   At least one more, and maybe two.

Must Protect The Franchise!     Must Protect The Franchise!     Must Protect The Franchise!   

Good question. I like Andre smith but he is red flags galore, Loadholt and Beatty I don't see getting away from their current teams, Brandon Albert and Jermone Bushrod could be viable options. Matt Slauson could be an option at the guard spot....along with John Cooper in the draft

Good question. I like Andre smith but he is red flags galore, Loadholt and Beatty I don't see getting away from their current teams, Brandon Albert and Jermone Bushrod could be viable options. Matt Slauson could be an option at the guard spot....along with John Cooper in the draft

It appears we're thinking alike....   which should probably scare the Heck out of you!!

I'm hopeful that we can find a team like the Chiefs,  Saints, or Giants that perhaps are squeezed by the salary cap and come up with an offer for Albert, Bushrod or Beatty.      One of those three I think we can get for less than $10mill per.   I'm hoping in the $8-9Mill range....   hopefully for 4 years, and not 5.

If we have to move Castanzo to RT, I think I'd be OK.    I think he's a Heckuva run blocker...   still not sure about his pass blocking though.

Cooper in the draft would lease me too.   He's grown.   I've seen reports of him in the 310-320 range.   That said,  my hunch is our top pick in the draft will be on the defensive side of the ball...   a very deep year of DL...   Gotta believe Grigson will find one he likes...

But if not,  an OL would please me greatly!

It appears we're thinking alike....   which should probably scare the Heck out of you!!

I'm hopeful that we can find a team like the Chiefs,  Saints, or Giants that perhaps are squeezed by the salary cap and come up with an offer for Albert, Bushrod or Beatty.      One of those three I think we can get for less than $10mill per.   I'm hoping in the $8-9Mill range....   hopefully for 4 years, and not 5.

If we have to move Castanzo to RT, I think I'd be OK.    I think he's a Heckuva run blocker...   still not sure about his pass blocking though.

Cooper in the draft would lease me too.   He's grown.   I've seen reports of him in the 310-320 range.   That said,  my hunch is our top pick in the draft will be on the defensive side of the ball...   a very deep year of DL...   Gotta believe Grigson will find one he likes...

But if not,  an OL would please me greatly!

I read somewhere that Bushrod could be difficult for the saints to retain...hopefully that's true. The chiefs drafted Donald Stephenson in the 3rd last year and evidently played well so the chiefs might let Albert walk. Off season should be interesting....

Out the current O Line FA list who do you think get released that are not stars but are still pretty goodO Linemen

They don't have to be released, but

Vasquez

Slauson

Bushrod

Albert

Loadholt

Beatty

Rinehart

Andre smith

I'm sure there are more but offensive linemen have a hard time getting noticed on bad teams

They don't have to be released, but Vasquez Slauson Bushrod Albert Loadholt Beatty Rinehart Andre smith I'm sure there are more but offensive linemen have a hard time getting noticed on bad teams
out of that list I'd go with Vasquez, Slauson or Beatty

Props to Chelsea....

I think this is one of the better mock drafts any fan has posted so far.....

I'm not a big fan of Rhodes.....   I'm not a fan of corners that big.    Too big for my taste.   I'd worry he'd eventually become a safety and if we're going to take a safety, I'd prefer not to spend a #1 on that unless it's a special player.

But,  on balance,  this is a very good mock draft....

Well done!     :thmup:

Props to Chelsea....

I think this is one of the better mock drafts any fan has posted so far.....

I'm not a big fan of Rhodes.....   I'm not a fan of corners that big.    Too big for my taste.   I'd worry he'd eventually become a safety and if we're going to take a safety, I'd prefer not to spend a #1 on that unless it's a special player.

But,  on balance,  this is a very good mock draft....

Well done!     :thmup:

Thank you, I did spend a few days on this one and tried to keep it a balanced draft.  To be honest I wouldn't mind the alternate picks for rounds 1 and 3, I like them both and think we could go defensive end or olb in the first and corner in the third.  Whatever happens this offseasons I'll be fine with, but this is a really fun time of year.

Thank you, I did spend a few days on this one and tried to keep it a balanced draft.  To be honest I wouldn't mind the alternate picks for rounds 1 and 3, I like them both and think we could go defensive end or olb in the first and corner in the third.  Whatever happens this offseasons I'll be fine with, but this is a really fun time of year.

I wouldn't mind the alternate picks either, but imo we get better value and talent if we get the primary picks of Rhodes and Jenkins.  Jenkins would have easily been first round if he hadn't been injured.  So, provided he has or will return to full health, by getting him in the 3rd we'd be getting 2 first round talent players with Jenkins and Rhodes. :)

I do like this draft and I would love to go this defensively heavy but I'm not sure it would be possible. I would love to take care of the line in FA but it seems like we could put a focus on defense there and get better players. Spencer, Barwin, Avril and Cary Williams may all be options. Of course it all depends on price too. Yeah there's some great lineman in FA but I'm not sure we need elite linemen that cost an arm and a leg. If we would've just had an average to good line this season I think we would've been fine. I think after FA begins and we see who we get the draft strategy will become much clearer. I gotta say I do really like a lot of the players on this mock. Great job!