Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians is probably a better HC than OC. Luck needs a system that fits him

GoodLuck

Rg3 is a very good player but what I'm saying to you is even offense has a blue print to stop , pats saints packs every offense , soon teams our gonna stop spying an say lets man press an send pressure of the edges an get after him rg3 has strait line speed but doesn't have the althletism of mike Vick his little frail body will break down after two or three years with the big boys but he's a great talent

You haven't watched and genuinely paid attention to a single Redskins game, have you? Griffin is currently the best QB in the NFL against the blitz, he's made plays against the blitz so consistently that teams have started to take a considerably less aggressive approach against us. Blitzing in press man will get you burned one way or another. He also has altered his style just a bit to reduce the number of hits he's taking. He's not at all like Vick, who repeatedly subjects himself to unnecessary punishment because of poor decision-making as a passer.

Eventually the NFL will have a blueprint of some sort of how to play us, for sure. However, if we continue to execute at the level we have been and continue to introduce little wrinkles to take advantage of that blueprint it probably won't make too much of a difference. I worry about the future of our defense but our offensive coaching staff is pretty certifiably brilliant.

This is the SAME OC that lead the Steelers to a SB. I don't think he's the Problem. But then again, I haven't seen all of our Games so I wouldn't really know. But I did see the NYJ Game & his play-caling was Good. Just the players didn't execute like when Luck overshot Fleener for that Wide open TD. We need an O-line for this Offense to Work. I agree we should do shorter passes & more screens. But I don't blame Arians.

When the Steelers won the Super Bowl under Arians they had a very balanced, near 50/50 run/pass attack. In fact, they would stick to the run even when it wasn't working just to maintain the threat. They got away from that later in Arians' tenure and it really doesn't look like Arians brought that threat of the run with him to Indy (although the Browns game was a promising step in the right direction). I would consider that a problem.

It's also interesting to note that the Steelers had what was considered one of the worst offensive lines in the league for some time under Arians' tenure as OC. That didn't bother Big Ben too much but he was a far more mature player by that point than Luck is now.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see the issue here. I DO think that RG3 has been put in a system that will better help him succeed now, but long-term I think both QBs will thrive in theirs systems anyways. Luck has had a couple shaky games lately, but he also had some fairly great ones as well. All the while, he's still on course to eclipse Cam's rookie numbers. My biggest concern has been his accuracy for sure, at first I thought it was just his deep ball, but then I saw him over throwing wide-open short-mid range targets. And to be honest, I tend to not like our chances when we're in the redzone. I feel like if we don't get in from yards after the catch, we won't score. It's not like we've seen a lot of TD passes this season period, but how many times have we seen a receiver get one while already in the paint? (and I won't even get into Luck's struggle with the fade pass). I'm not worried short or long term, but you have to have faith these things will improve, and that Luck's ceiling is as high as we thought is was. Also there is nothing wrong with pointing out something that a player has to improve. I feel like, "cut him some slack, he's a rookie" is among one of the more over-used phrases on here. Just because a player is a rookie doesn't mean we can't criticize their play. Now if I said, "Luck stinks! We wasted our pick! The franchise is doomed!" that might warrant some reassurance.

And about Arians as HC: Arians is pretty much both the acting OC and HC right now and our DC does pretty much all of the defensive coordinating so not much has changed. I don't get that point either.

I think once you take into consideration Arians age (I believe he is 60) one could say that Luck wont be in the same system very long really. Arians helped in the development of Manning and I feel thats the role that suits him best (QB Coach).

You haven't watched and genuinely paid attention to a single Redskins game, have you? Griffin is currently the best QB in the NFL against the blitz, he's made plays against the blitz so consistently that teams have started to take a considerably less aggressive approach against us. Blitzing in press man will get you burned one way or another. He also has altered his style just a bit to reduce the number of hits he's taking. He's not at all like Vick, who repeatedly subjects himself to unnecessary punishment because of poor decision-making as a passer.

Eventually the NFL will have a blueprint of some sort of how to play us, for sure. However, if we continue to execute at the level we have been and continue to introduce little wrinkles to take advantage of that blueprint it probably won't make too much of a difference. I worry about the future of our defense but our offensive coaching staff is pretty certifiably brilliant.

When the Steelers won the Super Bowl under Arians they had a very balanced, near 50/50 run/pass attack. In fact, they would stick to the run even when it wasn't working just to maintain the threat. They got away from that later in Arians' tenure and it really doesn't look like Arians brought that threat of the run with him to Indy (although the Browns game was a promising step in the right direction). I would consider that a problem.

It's also interesting to note that the Steelers had what was considered one of the worst offensive lines in the league for some time under Arians' tenure as OC. That didn't bother Big Ben too much but he was a far more mature player by that point than Luck is now.

i wonder how he would do against a team that plays Cover 2 like get pressure with front 4 and speedy Lb Much like we used to have here

i wonder how he would do against a team that plays Cover 2 like get pressure with front 4 and speedy Lb Much like we used to have here

vs the Bucs he went 26-35 323 passing yards 0 touchdowns, 0 picks. vs Minnesota he had 182 passing yards and 138 rushing yards also 17-22 passing a touchdown a pick and a sack

I think the comfort and rhythm will come with time. A lot of what the Redskins are doing is from Baylor's playbook. But Baylor's playbook is a college playbook and not a pro playbook, and that's for a reason. The college game is becoming more and more about the shotgun, spreading your WRs, stretching the defense, and having a mobile QB. Defenses are less disciplined, so offenses can get away with that in college. The NFL is a different story. It's like Newton last year. He exploded onto the scene and made it look easy. A lot of what the Panthers did last year was option, deep throws, and shotgun. This year, defenses have figured them out and the Panthers' offense isn't doing anywhere near as well as it was last year. I expect the same thing with the current Skins offense. If they stay with it and don't change, they won't do well.

I like how we are developing Luck. Let him get used to running pro plays, reading pro defenses, making pro throws, etc. and then once he is comfortable, let him have more of a say as to what kinds of protection we use, what kind of routes the receivers run, etc.

Def agree...alot of experts say the Redskins Offense will be figured out before year's end

The Tampa 2 is REALLY vulnerable to the offense we run because of our ability to suck LBs up to the line of scrimmage with the playfake. In addition to the numbers Gavin noted, we put up 474 yards of total offense against Tampa because they couldn't really tell when we were passing and when we were running. Even now, they're the league's #3 rushing defense at 76 ypg allowed and we still rolled up over 150 yards on the ground against them. Griffin carved up the Vikings D through the air in similar fashion to Luck but also gouged them on the ground. There's actually a clip out there from the game where Jared Allen admits that he has NO idea what we're going to do and that he's just going to go straight for Griffin off the fake. That was right around the time we started handing off to Morris more and he wound up badly out of position a few times.

If you want to talk about a truly fast and somewhat terrifying front four, you need only look at how we handled JPP, Osi, Tuck, Kiwi, Linval, & Co. in that Giants game. That team has the best four man front in the league by a wide margin, IMO, and they were largely ineffective all game. They did get 3 sacks but two of them came on completely whiffed blocks by a TE and back. When it came to tracking where the ball was and getting substantial pressure once one of our guys engaged them, they failed far more often than not. They also spoke very highly of Griffin after the game, despite a LOT of trash talk about how Griffin wasn't going to run on them (Spolier Alert: he did, in fact he made them look silly on several occasions) beforehand.

Def agree...alot of experts say the Redskins Offense will be figured out before year's end

Which ones? :)

No offence, I think some of you are nuts. We're talking about a rookie QB, only 6 games in, trying to learn and run the WHOLE playbook. He had two sub-par games, one which we won. Stats be darned, this kid is the real deal. I would think BA knows a bit more than us on what Luck can handle. I like that he threw Luck into the fire. This season is a wash. We all knew it would be this way. Whats the big deal. The Colts are a bad team. Face it. The D cant stop anybody on 3rd down, cant run worth squat. Only way we won two of the games(should have one more win) because of Mr. Luck.

I will say this. If we put up big numbers against a LeBeau defense on Sunday, there's probably not going to be much hope for the rest of the league this season.

Ehhh. I'm not anti-Redskins, and I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of "figuring the offense out" this season, or at any point. I think Griffin is legit, and so long as Shanahan continues to play to his strengths, things will go well.

But you're not playing the true LeBeau defense. You're playing a shell of that defense. They have a ton of injuries, and simply haven't been as good as we're used to them being. They're ranked well in yardage, but they're 12th in points, 24th in sacks, last in 3rd down percentage, 26th in interceptions... Don't get too excited if you have a good showing against the Steelers just because "they're the Steelers!" They gave up 34 points to the Raiders, 26 points to the Titans. I don't think they're an elite defense at this point in time. This isn't a benchmark game for your offense.

I will say this. If we put up big numbers against a LeBeau defense on Sunday, there's probably not going to be much hope for the rest of the league this season.

dont agree...that D is not what it used to. they are old and it is showing..but it is still a good measurement

Ehhh. I'm not anti-Redskins, and I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of "figuring the offense out" this season, or at any point. I think Griffin is legit, and so long as Shanahan continues to play to his strengths, things will go well.

But you're not playing the true LeBeau defense. You're playing a shell of that defense. They have a ton of injuries, and simply haven't been as good as we're used to them being. They're ranked well in yardage, but they're 12th in points, 24th in sacks, last in 3rd down percentage, 26th in interceptions... Don't get too excited if you have a good showing against the Steelers just because "they're the Steelers!" They gave up 34 points to the Raiders, 26 points to the Titans. I don't think they're an elite defense at this point in time. This isn't a benchmark game for your offense.

dont agree...that D is not what it used to. they are old and it is showing..but it is still a good measurement

Oh, I'm well aware. I know Polamalu is out for the game, Harrison isn't close to 100%, and they have other problems. However, every defense we play this season has problems like that (e.g., the entire Ravens defense in shambles, Dallas just lost Sean Lee for the season, Eagles firing their DC less than halfway through the season) and LeBeau is the only football mind out of all of them I'd expect to potentially approach Griffin in an entirely different way than other teams have if anyone is going to do it. If they can't slow us down any and we've already shown that we can handle the Giants defense so long as we protect the ball... I'm not sure who is going to turn the tables on us like what happened to Cam & Co.

That's what everyone seems to be expecting... a drop off like Cam had.

You 100% right rg3 is better than Vick an cam , rg3 is special there is only one rg3 but I'm just saying I'm worried about how he will hold up long term 2 concussion in less than one year we had a very talented player name collie an he career is done basically due to that

This is the SAME OC that lead the Steelers to a SB. I don't think he's the Problem.

Lebeau is the only coordinator worth crediting in the Steelers superbowl runs. The offense looked the most brilliant when Arians wasn't calling the plays. That game winning drive against the Cardinals (the Holmes catch) was all 2-minute, no huddle. Polamalu and the defense got them that superbowl. Pick 6 against the Ravens in the AFCCG to seal the game. James Harrison with the Pick 6 in the superbowl to end the 1st half. I'd credit those plays/players before I credited Arians for that superbowl. Just sayin.

Anyways, beyond the predictability, I don't like Arians play-calling because it is getting Luck hit frequently and (I believe) effecting his throws. I think Luck is so erratic with his under/over throws right now because he's not comfortable in the pocket. He has a good demeanor after getting hit, but you can tell some of those blows have had an effect on him already. He seemed very jittery in the Jets game, even when he had a clean pocket.

Arians, please alter the scheme, mix in more quick release passes (3 step dropback or less), allow the kid to get in a groove, and stop being a stubborn turd.

This just in. Colt fans know more than the front office and coaching staff of an NFL franchise. Man......who woulda known.

Seriously, is there ever a space of appreciation for what is, rather than what is not? This is not at the OP, but at the general responses. Does anyone find joy anymore in talking about what is going right? Is it only fun to dissect what is not right? Yes, I know there are occasional threads that are positive, but as soon as they pop up, someone posts what is flawed about the fact that things are definitely not right. I really don't see this as a difference of opinion thing, as it is a massive shift in our societal thinking.

In an effort to move beyond the past (last year), we tear down the present, knawing at the fringes of enjoyment, in an effort to quicken ourselves towards the future, where lies salvation from our flawed "now". In the process, we lose something special and don't even know what we have lost.

I apologize to the OP for disrupting the thread.