Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Am I The Only One That Thinks The Colts Will Surprise Everyone?

cmgww

If Manning plays all the games this season there will be a lot of fans upset week 17, when the Colts once again forgo a chance for a perfect season to rest the starters before the playoffs.

The only reason I say week 17 is because the Colts end with Ten, Hou and Jax so they will play 2 of those 3 to win.

Of course you're thinking the Pats will go 16-0 right? lol

Every teams has a question mark around something this time of the year. Like let's just look at how the Pats got beaten like drum in Detroit a few days ago. That should raise some red flags. lol

No..I would put the Pats between 10-6 and 14-2.

No the Detroit game had no red flags other than Lions D was awesome and some missed coverages.

I look at the team and how its set at this time of the year.

And unlike other years its set.

And of course all teams have question marks at this time.

Perhaps you should reverse it to align with what I said before that line "the colts haven't surprised me in the past"

AHEM,READ, I knew they were good before the season started!

And the Pats have nothing to do with this topic either.

This is the colts forum and I responded to a colts question.

COLTS! ya know!

They need to stay healthy specially at the recievers spots. It was painful watching them last year without Dallas Clark. Now that Bob Sanders is gone the defense will have to bear down but the Colts are definately headed for the playoffs unless they lose out the division to the Texans and don't slide in as a wildcard. The Texans have a very easy schedule and I don't know what ours looks like.

Texans have an easy schedule?

They play everyone we play besides the Pats and the Chiefs.

I take our experience over the texans experience in games like the Saints, Falcons, Steelers, and Ravens.

Also its not like the Jags and Titans don't play them tough either.

And if Matt Shaub can't stay healthy then they are doomed. Matt Lienart couldn't make it throwing to Larry Fitz and Anquion Boldin, which is a better combo than Johnson and Jacoby Jones.

I'd take Kerry Collins over Matt Lienart anyday.

Back to the OP.

Are you alone? Certainly not

1. we have the best dline we have had in quite sometime

2. we have gotten bigger on the Oline which should really help with our Run Blocking

3. we got alot of backups some great playing time last year

4. When Bob Lamey is your voice of a team, that team always has a shot period.

5. our only question outside of the qb IMO is 1 corner back.

I am at 12-4 this year with this team. Regardless if Manning is a go for the 1st week.

Guest BlueShoe

And of course all teams have question marks at this time.

Perhaps you should reverse it to align with what I said before that line "the colts haven't surprised me in the past"

You want to know the record the Colts will have this year? I can tell you with 100% certainty! The Colts will have a record between 1-15 to 16-0. That’s all we really know.

I see about 10 tough games for us and if we make it into the playoffs then we will have earned it and we will be tough to beat if we get there somewhat healthy.

I am incredibly enthusiastic about this team - assuming Peyton is healthy and we don't have a repeat of last year. I really don't understand the doom and gloom in the press.

Ten minutes ago they were pushing for an undefeated season. And compared that squad, this one appears to have only stepped backwards in the secondary - but that may improve has some kids get more playing time. Most other positions appear to be at least as good and with more depth (the payoff for last years injuries and another good draft).

The schedule will be tougher, but 1/2 the division is rebuilding their entire team, and the Texans just scrapped their defense. If we don't go at LEAST 12-4 and win the division I will be astonished.

You want to know the record the Colts will have this year? I can tell you with 100% certainty! The Colts will have a record between 1-15 to 16-0. That’s all we really know.

I see about 10 tough games for us and if we make it into the playoffs then we will have earned it and we will be tough to beat if we get there somewhat healthy.

Oh I agree..I'm not a fan of predictions. My only comment was I saw a team with less ? than this season, mostly because of new people and we know you can't always count on rookies.

And some questionable FA. But hey ya never know.

I think people are looking at Delone Carter all wrong. I don't think it makes sense to hold him for short yardage. I'd use him all day long and make the anti-pass, 5 DB defenses of the opposition get tired of trying to bring down a 225 pound running back with speed and agility. For passing, I'd stick to lightning quick chunks out of the slot with Collie, Clark, Tamme, Gonzo, etc.

Late in the game, as the other team tires out, a fresh Joseph Addai can come in and slash and shuffle his way through a bunch of winded defenders. Or he can provide a safety valve as Manning looks to bury the hatchet with some big pass plays.

If we get into short yardage situations and bring in Carter, everyone in the stadium will know what's coming, and the D will dial up a 148 man front. I don't care if he's 325 pounds: most of the time, he's not getting there against a run-expectant defense.

I just think that a lot of us will be disappointed if 3rd and goal is where we primarily see his number called. He's far too versatile for that, and our offense (especially Addai) would benefit greatly by exploiting his talents.

/rant

@OP: You are not the only one who thinks so. In case you haven't noticed, since the forums moved, a lot of the veteran posters disappeared. That left us with a whole lot of new people and trolls. I don't know the median age, but I'd guess it's far younger than it once was. They are gullible. Combined with the rhetoric of the talking heads on various sports networks and suddenly the Colts are about to implode.

In my opinion, this is once of the most talented, and complete rosters (at least on paper, and in theory) that we've fielded in the Manning era.

This Carter guy is the best thing Ive seen from the Colts this pre-season. the rest, stinks.

Texans have an easy schedule?

They play everyone we play besides the Pats and the Chiefs.

I take our experience over the texans experience in games like the Saints, Falcons, Steelers, and Ravens.

Also its not like the Jags and Titans don't play them tough either.

And if Matt Shaub can't stay healthy then they are doomed. Matt Lienart couldn't make it throwing to Larry Fitz and Anquion Boldin, which is a better combo than Johnson and Jacoby Jones.

I'd take Kerry Collins over Matt Lienart anyday.

Back to the OP.

Are you alone? Certainly not

1. we have the best dline we have had in quite sometime

2. we have gotten bigger on the Oline which should really help with our Run Blocking

3. we got alot of backups some great playing time last year

4. When Bob Lamey is your voice of a team, that team always has a shot period.

5. our only question outside of the qb IMO is 1 corner back.

I am at 12-4 this year with this team. Regardless if Manning is a go for the 1st week.

Houston looks real good, this is a tough game and with it being PM first of the season, Im scared.

This Carter guy is the best thing Ive seen from the Colts this pre-season. the rest, stinks.

Wow you might want to look at Nevis, the entire defensive line in the Pack game, the improved O line, and the improved special teams as well. :scratch: I dunno what you've been seeing this pre-season.

The national media is down on our Colts as well. Who cares? That is why they play the game. I challenge anyone to go through our schedule and tell me what games we will lose. It is a challenge to come up with 6. I believe 10 wins is a given and more are definitely possible.

Houston looks real good, this is a tough game and with it being PM first of the season, Im scared.

Yes Houston looks good, but it remains to be seen how they will handle the regular season.

Its one thing to look good on defense when there are little to no adjustments made in the preseason.

Its completely different when calls are being changed at the line to take advantage of your defensive alignment.

It takes time to gel as a unit when changing the entire defense. Switching from a 4:3 to a 3:4 is not seemless. Everyone wants to point to the Colts starting rookies on the line, whom have to learn the play terminology. (this goes for the Vets we have brought in too). I would argue, the further away you get from the ball the tougher it is to get the right coverages/routes as a CB or WR and the right play call.

Later in the season Houston will be tougher to beat after they gel as a defensive unit. They have question marks though as a team.

Can Matt Schaub stay healthy through an entire season? (he as only done it once)

What about the health of Arian Foster?

How long will it take for the defense to play as a unit?

If and I did say if...they start slow how long do you stay with Kubiak as coach? (even if they have a good start if they are out of it down the stretch, do they make a change?)

Houston has a tough schedule this year and how will they respond in big games (Saints, Falcons, Colts, Steelers, Ravens) (all which I think are better than the texans)

Seriously....all the doom and gloom on here is getting me down.

Am I the only one that thinks the Colts will surprise all the doubters, you know the ones that think "the window is closing"?

First, Manning plays week 1. Collins is insurance, but there's no way 18 isn't stepping on the field in Houston.

Barring another (heaven forbid) rash of injuries like last season...I see great things in store for the Colts.

The additions on defense will pay off big IMO. The D-line is so deep it's scary. Sims along with the fellows at LB will be solid...the secondary does have me worried though. I would like to see some additions there (Hayden back?)just for depth

The offense should be fine, provided Manning can come back and not be TOO rusty. The running game has looked better. Carter is a great get, and I see him getting a lot of touches near the goal line. Collie and Clark being back will be huge, and Tamme got a lot of time last year, further expanding the arsenal Manning has at his disposal.

I think this could be a big year for the Colts. The schedule will be tough, but if we can stay relatively healthy I see 12 wins and a run at the SB...

Anything is possible, but I am leaning more towards 8-8 or 9-7 at best. It will be game 4 or 5 before Manning is back to 100% and due to our schedule we could be like 1-3 or 2-3 at that point. We have huge question marks for our offensive line due to youthfullness and inexperience, we have issues on Defense and extremely tough schedule. Sure 11-5 or even 12-4 is possible, but I think if you look at everything in a clean light you have to be happy with 8-8 or 9-7.

No, the majority of true colts fans and the experts that really know what's going on will not be surprised at all. We're bringing back essentially the same team we had last year that limped into the playoffs and was still only a play or 2 away from the AFC championship game. We brought in far more value in FA than we lost this year, which is a rarity but one I am very happy about. Our OL and our defense in general are getting bigger and stronger so we're getting closer to the point of having a defense that we don't have to have a lead with.

As someone else already pointed out, the difference in strength of schedule between us and the Texans (or the Titans/Jags for that matter) is very negligible. Our schedules are only going to differ by 2 games. The teams we play in the AFC East and AFC West will be different. As far as the AFC west goes, I don't think any one team stands out amongst the others from a "I really hope we don't play them" stand point. The schedule differences between us and the rest of the AFC South (I still chuckle at us being in the South and the Dolphins are in the East..but I guess it's not as bad as when the Cardinals were in the old NFC East lol) are:

Colts vs. Chiefs | Jax vs. SD | Hou vs. Oak | Tenn vs. Den

Colts vs. NE | Jax vs. NYJ | Hou vs. Mia | Tenn vs. Buf

Honestly imo I think Jacksonville has it the worst since they have both the Jets and Chargers.

After reviewing the schedule again, I just don't see double digit wins this season. I see us beating the Browns, TB, KC, Cincy, Jville at home, Carolina and TN and Houston at home. That is 8 wins, I just don't see us having any chance of beating Pitt/NE/Balt/NO or Atlanta at all. So there is 5 losses. Plus I don't see us winning any road games in our Division. So where am I wrong?

Colts vs. Chiefs | Jax vs. SD | Hou vs. Oak | Tenn vs. Den

Colts vs. NE | Jax vs. NYJ | Hou vs. Mia | Tenn vs. Buf

Honestly imo I think Jacksonville has it the worst since they have both the Jets and Chargers.

The Jags do have it tougher.

Although there always seems to be that one team on the schedule that you think is a cake walk and ends up being very hard to beat. A team that no one is talking about right now. Miami could be that team for Houston. Simply because that matchup problems they are going to have with Reggie Bush. Even Cam Newton might throw in a wrinkle or two for them who knows.

The NFL season starts a week from today...

can't get here soon enought

There are reasons for being optimistic. If the O-line and D-line gel together and improve as much as most Colts fans think they can, then this team could be pretty good. I still have to see them in regular season action though before I can make any bold predictions.

After reviewing the schedule again, I just don't see double digit wins this season. I see us beating the Browns, TB, KC, Cincy, Jville at home, Carolina and TN and Houston at home. That is 8 wins, I just don't see us having any chance of beating Pitt/NE/Balt/NO or Atlanta at all. So there is 5 losses. Plus I don't see us winning any road games in our Division. So where am I wrong?

We are sweeping the jags and the Titans.

The jags will have a new coach the 2nd time we play them, they play us tough but the Health of MJD is a concern.

the Titans don't have the scoring to keep up with us. Locker will be starting for them sometime midway through the season

We are going to beat 2 or 3 of the 5 you mentioned above.

New England is always close at the end. Basically who has the ball last and doesn't make a mistake will win

Baltimore. there defense is getting older, and we always seem to beat them. Flaco I am not sold on yet.

Pittsburgh. this is tough, but we seem to beat them in the regular season anyway.

New Orleans. A team that we don't get to play a lot and I like our chances (i know we lost in the superbowl, but we will be hungry for revenge)

Atlanta: This is a loss in my book. But I have been wrong before.

I think people are looking at Delone Carter all wrong. I don't think it makes sense to hold him for short yardage. I'd use him all day long and make the anti-pass, 5 DB defenses of the opposition get tired of trying to bring down a 225 pound running back with speed and agility. For passing, I'd stick to lightning quick chunks out of the slot with Collie, Clark, Tamme, Gonzo, etc.

Late in the game, as the other team tires out, a fresh Joseph Addai can come in and slash and shuffle his way through a bunch of winded defenders. Or he can provide a safety valve as Manning looks to bury the hatchet with some big pass plays.

If we get into short yardage situations and bring in Carter, everyone in the stadium will know what's coming, and the D will dial up a 148 man front. I don't care if he's 325 pounds: most of the time, he's not getting there against a run-expectant defense.

I just think that a lot of us will be disappointed if 3rd and goal is where we primarily see his number called. He's far too versatile for that, and our offense (especially Addai) would benefit greatly by exploiting his talents.

/rant

@OP: You are not the only one who thinks so. In case you haven't noticed, since the forums moved, a lot of the veteran posters disappeared. That left us with a whole lot of new people and trolls. I don't know the median age, but I'd guess it's far younger than it once was. They are gullible. Combined with the rhetoric of the talking heads on various sports networks and suddenly the Colts are about to implode.

In my opinion, this is once of the most talented, and complete rosters (at least on paper, and in theory) that we've fielded in the Manning era.

One word on this. Homer

this will be the worst Colts team since 1998. the O-line is horrific, the only bright spot on defense is the pass rush, and the colts are paying for bad draft picks the last few years. Angerer is not good and they should cut Hughes now, he is a joke. i wouldn't mind Manning sitting out several games and people will see just how bad the colts really are.

this will be the worst Colts team since 1998. the O-line is horrific, the only bright spot on defense is the pass rush, and the colts are paying for bad draft picks the last few years. Angerer is not good and they should cut Hughes now, he is a joke. i wouldn't mind Manning sitting out several games and people will see just how bad the colts really are.

Feel free, even compelled, to troll elsewhere.

Feel free, even compelled, to troll elsewhere.

agreed. Angerer and Hughes are only in their second years and are both showing much improvement over last year.

I love how people are calling people busts after less than 2 years and then there's someone in another thread already calling Castanzo a bust. Did Al Davis (Mr. hire a coach and fire them if they don't turn everything around in a year) get bored and decide to register here?