Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Watched Most Of The Game

Coffeedrinker

1st let me say, overall it was a great team effort. For the Colts starters, without Manning, to beat the Green Bay starters at full strength is a testament to the depth of this team. Too bad it ended the way it did.

Players that impressed:

AC - This guy is improving logarithmically. I was a bit worried about Manning's (or Painters' or Collins') blind side against Houston but not so much now. This was the first game where he didn't over extend himself or over commit, he maintained his balance and form through-out. I also didn't see him make any bone head plays like leave a LB unblocked at the POA. He's still not dominate in the run game but his technical skills are starting to translate onto the field.

Diem - Did well at RG. If the Colts had someone to play RT, I'd be all for his move to RG, but there is no way Diem, Link is better than Pollack, Diem. Ijalana is a year away from being ready, so he's not really an option right now.

Reitz - Another impressive performance for him. He just does not appear to make many mistake has good strength and good feet.

Addai - Had some nice holes but also ran with authority, keeping his shoulders square to the LOS, hitting the holes fast and making some good moves at the 2nd level.

Carter - Ran very well again. I am a huge Mike Hart fan and I understand the Colts not re-signing him because of the injuries. I think Carter can provide that role I expected of Hart... Come into the game without having to change the offense, get good yards, tough yards and if called on to be the starter for a few games will perform well.

Painter - Garcon and Wayne both dropped a few passes that should have been caught that would have helped in the 1st quarter, but he was making the right reads, putting the ball in a good position and showing very good accuracy. In the 2nd quarter he played very, very well. The drive for the 2nd TD was very Manning-esqu.

Wayne - It was expected and delivered. He does seem to be very quick again.

Eldridge - Blocked very well, moved well. If he can offer the occasional catch he will prove very helpful for the Colts O.

Pollack - Came in and played center very well again.

Tepper - I know there several people on this forum who are in love with Devan for some unknown reason, but I think Tepper takes his spot on the roster. Tepper is bigger, stronger, and really moves guys off the ball.

Brooks - Brooks started to show the ability to run routes and on his catches he showed catching with his hands rather than body catching. I can see Brooks taking White's spot while he (White) remains on the PUP.

On the defensive side

Harris - I didn't think he would make the final 53 man roster and the first preseason game did not change my mind. This game did. With limiting his snaps he showed great field awareness and the ability to win one on one battles.

Moala - Mouthfire poked fun at me in another thread about my comments about Moala, but he has been playing the best of any Colts dlineman this preseason. To add to that not only has he been playing at an all pro-level, he's been doing it on every play.

Nevis - Continues to impress. Very active and, unlike in the first game, seems to have excellent field awareness.

Angerer - played Mike and did very well. His coverage on the TD pass was as good as can be but it was a great throw and catch. Made one mistake that I noticed where he didn't fill the hole on a running play.

Wheeler - Was the starting SAM and also stayed on the field with Angerer in the nickle. Covered his zone well and supported the run well.

Powers - If the Colts can get another CB on the other side of the field, Powers is going to have 4-8 picks this year, his fluidity in coverage is among the best in the league.

Tryon - Didn't get thrown on much, came up and made the stop in both the run game and pass game.

Caldwell - Missed one tackle (the other miss was actually because Lacey flew in front of him) but made very few mistakes that I could see.

Freeney - Looked in mid-season form, he is one of the most fun players to watch in the NFL.

Hughes - His development is a little slow (I think that can be attributed to lack of playing time) he plays his position technically sound and does what he is supposed to do. Now he needs to take it to the next level in intensity.

Thomas - Why the Colts don't move him into the starting lineup I do not know. He's excellent in coverage and when a guy does catch a ball on his side of the field he does not gain more than a yard or two after the catch.

Chick, Brayton, Gill and Anderson - All played there positions well and made plays when the opportunity presented itself.

Special teams

MacAfee - he is just killing his punts this year. Against the Pack he seemed to have learned to take a few yards of distance and add that to hang time to allow the coverage guys to get down the field.

Snow - Gotta to give props to the guy who snaps it perfect every time.

Players who did some good and bad.

Mouton - Has great speed and can follow the ball but takes too many missteps. Should make the PS.

Sims - first game with the Colts, missed some assignments but showed why the Colts signed him, he covers more ground than any LB for the Colts since Thornton.

Devan - Had some really nice blocks, one run in particular that I remember he drove #90 from GB 5 yards down the field. Then a few plays later, Ijalana whiffs his block Orlovsky tries to step up in the pocket but can because Devan's guy pushed him back 6 yards and then the guy Evans is blocking makes the sack.

Newton - Made some nice plays and did what he was supposed to do in coverage but doesn't offer much in the way of run support.

Guys that did bad.

Linkenbach - I do not know why the Colts keep insisting on putting this guy on the field.

Richard - See above

Triplett - He slows and rarely in a position to make a play. But he is very good at running to the pile after the play is over so it looks like he's around the ball.

DeVree - He is just not a good blocking TE and he's too slow to be much of a threat in the passing game.

Vaughn - Didn't do anything well in the game and then the back to back penalties was just stupid. (Although I will admit handing the receiver the ball after missing a pass is pretty funny, but stupid)

Additionally: I think major props need to go to the coaching staff (minor props to Ray Rychleski because of the onside kick). Caldwell, Coyer and CC called a great game, made excellent adjustments during the game and put the team in a position to win. For Rychleski the coverage teams performed very well, the return teams did well, just the snafu on the onside kick. Here's a suggestion, perhaps when you know the other team is going to do an onside kick maybe have that front line playing 12 yards off the ball in stead of 15. The kicker kicked it 10 yards and there was not Colt even close to it.

Based on who lined up and how well they did this is how I see the Colts final 53

Manning, Painter, Collins (no particular order for Collins and Painter)

Addai, Carter, Brown (we actually may see Evans replace Brown)

Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzo, Brooks, (White, PUP then IR if Brooks does well during the season)

AC, Link (although I will be hoping for someone cut from another team)

Reitz, McClendon

Saturday

Pollack, Tepper

Diem, Ijalana

Clark, Tamme, Eldridge (That's 23 for the O)

Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Brayton, Anderson, Chick

Mookie, Moala, Nevis, Harris

Angerer, Brackett, Conner, Sims, Wheeler

Powers, Thomas, Tryon, Lacey, Rucker, Johnson (can play CB or safety, played safety at the end of the Packers game)

Bullitt, Bethea, Lefeged (KR as well) Caldwell (That's 25 for the D)

ST:

AV

MacAfee

Snow

Gilreath (that's 4 for ST.)

That leaves one additional spot that will be used for either Devan, Foster, Mathews, or a 4th RB.

"Angerer - played Mike and did very well. His coverage on the TD pass was as good as can be but it was a great throw and catch. Made one mistake that I noticed where he didn't fill the hole on a running play."

I was excited when we picked this guy up.

I know he is not a fan favorite and he does make mistakes, but the more I see him play the more I like him.

He gets a :applause: from me.

Now i have to look up logarithmically.

:DLog.jpg.

I think logarithmically more accurately describes athletes because there is a limit to their improvement.

I want to say DeVan will get the final spot but i'm thinking that spot might go to Evans or Spann.

You are probably correct about Devan because he can play all three position on the interior of the line.

Gilreath vs Brooks will be the battle for that 5th WR, IMO. If Gilreath shows his value as a punt returner another game and Gonzo's injury is not serious, I can see Gilreath make the roster over Brooks. If Gonzo has to go on PUP, both Gilreath and Brooks may make the roster, IMO.

Gilreath vs Brooks will be the battle for that 5th WR, IMO. If Gilreath shows his value as a punt returner another game and Gonzo's injury is not serious, I can see Gilreath make the roster over Brooks. If Gonzo has to go on PUP, both Gilreath and Brooks may make the roster, IMO.

It could be. Although I will point out that Gonzo is not eligible for the PUP because he has played in the preseason. The only way you can be PUP in the regular season is if you started the preseason on the PUP (like White).

And yes, with no word about White at all, I think he will start the season on the PUP list which is why I have both Brooks and Gilreath making the final 53.

Another great breakdown from Coffeedrinker.

Supposedly we're going to see the 1's play with Collins for a while Thursday night. That's great for Collins and anyone who is crazy enough to spend money going to see a 4th preseason game. But it's kind of bad news for guys that are on the bubble, they'll get less play for evaluation.

Another great breakdown from Coffeedrinker.

Supposedly we're going to see the 1's play with Collins for a while Thursday night. That's great for Collins and anyone who is crazy enough to spend money going to see a 4th preseason game. But it's kind of bad news for guys that are on the bubble, they'll get less play for evaluation.

I kinda get the idea the Colts probably have a good 53 in mind. If you look at the mock final 53's coming out most of them are close to the same other than a player here or there. You can get those guys looks even if Collins plays with the ones. In fact it might work out better for them to get a chance to play with the ones so the coaches can see what they would do with the ones if they had to play.

It could be. Although I will point out that Gonzo is not eligible for the PUP because he has played in the preseason. The only way you can be PUP in the regular season is if you started the preseason on the PUP (like White).

And yes, with no word about White at all, I think he will start the season on the PUP list which is why I have both Brooks and Gilreath making the final 53.

I think it's the Colts plan to stash White on IR all year. I think they feel good about the group of WRs they have this year without him, however, with Garcon, Wayne, and Gonzo all free agents at years end we will probably need him next year.

This is the first game Curtis Painter has ever played with a game plan installed for him as the starter. He played with other starters on the field, and he got extensive time. Got to see a few things, make some adjustments with his coaches, and responded well. Still some troubling throws into the dirt, and still missed a couple of reads and held the ball too long. But he at least showed some ability. I was to the point where it just didn't make sense to me that he spent four years as the quarterback of a D1 team, and has been taking all the first team snaps in practice, because he'd just look lost out there. Now I know he's not completely incapable.

i really do not wanna see pollak on the 53 man roster. diem looked real good at guard so we should see if ben can play RT.

Why like him or not but he has out played DeVan, Rirchard, and McClendon. He's our best back up guard right now and maybe prove to be our fifth best lineman at the moment.

Also they have seen if Ben Ijalana can play righ tackle. He's played it in all three games vs. the other teams back ups and has done an okay job. he's not ready for the first stringers and sometimes when you a throw a young guy out there before he's ready you can do more damange than good (see Curtis Painter vs the Jets.) Ijalana is coming along give him this season or half a season and I think he'll work his way into the starting line up.

Why like him or not but he has out played DeVan, Rirchard, and McClendon. He's our best back up guard right now and maybe prove to be our fifth best lineman at the moment.

Also they have seen if Ben Ijalana can play righ tackle. He's played it in all three games vs. the other teams back ups and has done an okay job. he's not ready for the first stringers and sometimes when you a throw a young guy out there before he's ready you can do more damange than good (see Curtis Painter vs the Jets.) Ijalana is coming along give him this season or half a season and I think he'll work his way into the starting line up.

from what ive heard devan has done better then pollak. reitz seems to have the LG spot locked. last nights line of constonzo,reitz,saturday,diem,link did give us a good running game course link was terrible, but it is the packers defense so maybe a pass. we should see if this line can perform again vs the bengals.

from what ive heard devan has done better then him reitz seems to have the LG spot locked. last nights line of constonzo,reitz,saturday,diem,link did give us a good running game course link was terrible, but it is the packers defense so maybe a pass. we should see if this line can perform again vs the bengals.

No DeVan has not if he had he would have come in with the first stringers the other night when Diem got hurt. They called on Pollack. Pollack had also started over DeVan in the pre-season. Also Pollack is our back up center. He'll make the final roster and while I agree we need a fifth starter on the o-line at some point Pollack has proven to be the best of what we have at guard after Reitz and Diem and we might need Diem at right tackle.

No DeVan has not if he had he would have come in with the first stringers the other night when Diem got hurt. They called on Pollack. Pollack had also started over DeVan in the pre-season. Also Pollack is our back up center. He'll make the final roster and while I agree we need a fifth starter on the o-line at some point Pollack has proven to be the best of what we have at guard after Reitz and Diem and we might need Diem at right tackle.

regardless i would rather have diem starting at guard and keep link at RT

regardless i would rather have diem starting at guard and keep link at RT

We'll see, Link makes me un easy at right taclke but I loved what Diem gave us in terms of blocking for the ground game. Plus it's easier to give help to a right tackle than it is right guard. I wouldn't be against it but to me it just helps scream we are one starter short but who knows maybe Ijalana can develop this season and fill that out for at least this season.

I think Javarris James or Adrian Moten makes the roster. Javarris James has been good on ST and that will be a factor, come time to make that 53, IMO. His goal line experience last year and his ST play so far should give him the benefit of doubt. Adrian Moten could turn out to be an excellent coverage LB with experience, I am liking everything I have seen from him so far in pre-season.

I think Javarris James or Adrian Moten makes the roster. Javarris James has been good on ST and that will be a factor, come time to make that 53, IMO. His goal line experience last year and his ST play so far should give him the benefit of doubt. Adrian Moten could turn out to be an excellent coverage LB with experience, I am liking everything I have seen from him so far in pre-season.

James has ran the ball well the last couple of games. He is showing patience and then the ability to hit the hole when it opens. Since he doe have some punt/kick return abilities I could see him being the 4th running back in my extra player scenario.

Regarding Moten, I see potential there, but not enough for a roster spot at this point, I think he will be a practice squad guy.

Nice post, a lot of effort. Something made me smile though, how did you determine the logarithmic improvement in AC's game? I mean, not linear, not cubic polynomial, but logarithmic :)

I did not determine the logarithmic improvement just that he is improving logarithmically. The reason for that is because the horizontal asymptote represents the maximum a player can obtain. Linear would be no improvement, cubic polynomial (I assume you mean x^3.... x. That could be used but would be similar to saying he's improved exponentially, but that would mean, in essence, there is no limit to his improvement.

I did not determine the logarithmic improvement just that he is improving logarithmically. The reason for that is because the horizontal asymptote represents the maximum a player can obtain. Linear would be no improvement, cubic polynomial (I assume you mean x^3.... x. That could be used but would be similar to saying he's improved exponentially, but that would mean, in essence, there is no limit to his improvement.

Okay, you both need to stop. Fractalheads.

You have left out one very key person............our punter!! He has got one heck of a leg and will be a great asset to us this year. When the Colts go three and out from the twenty this guy will prove to be worth his weight in gold.

I agree, and I didn't leave him out. This is what was stated about him under special teams.

MacAfee - he is just killing his punts this year. Against the Pack he seemed to have learned to take a few yards of distance and add that to hang time to allow the coverage guys to get down the field.

D-line: I was pumped about the D-line play all night. Imagine when Mathis gets in the game. So much pressure coming from everywhere. Several times during the first half I remember shouting "that's Colts' football!". Forcing checkdown throws or RB to bounce it to the outside where they gang tackle for short gains.

Wheeler: I'm not a big Wheeler fan, mostly because of his poor tackling, but I thought he was laying the wood out there. (maybe it was Caldwell, my screen is small and they both have the hair covering their numbers).

O-line: Maybe Link needs another week of practice to get down the RT spot with Diem. I just don't want them to continue experimenting with the O-line throughout the regular season. I think continuity is important to the pass blocking. Maybe I have selective amnesia but didn't Link do okay last year at RT filling in for Diem?

D-line: I was pumped about the D-line play all night. Imagine when Mathis gets in the game. So much pressure coming from everywhere. Several times during the first half I remember shouting "that's Colts' football!". Forcing checkdown throws or RB to bounce it to the outside where they gang tackle for short gains.

The thing that excites me the most about the dline, now that it appears I was wrong about Harris, is the depth and rotation possibilities. With Mookie, Moala, Harris and Nevis the Colts have a DT rotation with no drop off in production. Each guy can get between 20-30 plays a game and make the most of them. Then later in the season and into the playoffs these guys are going to be fresher than other DTs through-out that will be playing 40-60 plays per game.

Then from a DE standpoint it's just as good. Freeney and Mathis we know what we will see with them. But Anderson and Brayton have already shown to be stout against the run but what has amazed me, especially about Brayton, is both have the ability to rush the passer. They lack moves but both have them have very good strength and can push the tackles back into the QB. Then add Hughes and Chick into the mix as additional speed rushers and again the Colts have a great rotation and the ability to limit the number of plays each player participates while maximizing the effectiveness of the plays while they are in there.

Wheeler: I'm not a big Wheeler fan, mostly because of his poor tackling, but I thought he was laying the wood out there. (maybe it was Caldwell, my screen is small and they both have the hair covering their numbers).

I'm a bigger Wheeler fan than most because I think he has the tools he's just not consistent. And that is the way he has been in the preseason. Against the Rams and Pack, Wheeler played excellent, he was shedding blockers, making tackles playing the pass well, just did everything you'd expect from a SAM. Against the Redskins he was tentative, let blockers take him out of the play, and grabbed and held on for the tackles.

O-line: Maybe Link needs another week of practice to get down the RT spot with Diem. I just don't want them to continue experimenting with the O-line throughout the regular season. I think continuity is important to the pass blocking. Maybe I have selective amnesia but didn't Link do okay last year at RT filling in for Diem?

Link has been practicing at the RT spot all preseason. Even in the game against the Rams, he started at LT and moved to RT with the 3rd line. And I don't think Link's problems are related to lack of knowledge about the position. Technically he's sound, he does not take false steps, he seems to attempt to block the correct guy each time and he seems to read the defenses well. Link's problems are slow feet, slow out of his stance, lack of strength and the inability to recover when beaten. Even if he adds some strength his slow feet and slowness at the snap are always going to be a problem for him.

The thing that excites me the most about the dline, now that it appears I was wrong about Harris, is the depth and rotation possibilities. With Mookie, Moala, Harris and Nevis the Colts have a DT rotation with no drop off in production. Each guy can get between 20-30 plays a game and make the most of them. Then later in the season and into the playoffs these guys are going to be fresher than other DTs through-out that will be playing 40-60 plays per game.

Then from a DE standpoint it's just as good. Freeney and Mathis we know what we will see with them. But Anderson and Brayton have already shown to be stout against the run but what has amazed me, especially about Brayton, is both have the ability to rush the passer. They lack moves but both have them have very good strength and can push the tackles back into the QB. Then add Hughes and Chick into the mix as additional speed rushers and again the Colts have a great rotation and the ability to limit the number of plays each player participates while maximizing the effectiveness of the plays while they are in there.

That's what has me the most excited. A Colts D line with fresh legs late into the season (and post-season) is going to be a nightmare for most teams.