Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay And Manning - The Only Way This Ends Well...

BleedingBlue

Is for Jim Irsay to make sure Peyton Manning plays every down of his career as a Colt. He will play again and therefore it should be as a Colt.

I have faith that JIm Irsay is a man of his word and he will not use Mannings health as an escape clause on March 8th but rather he will pay him to continue healing.

Irsay has said that it is not about money. He has said he will not trade Peyton Manning. He has said that if Peyton Manning is healthy, then he will be a colt next year. He has said that he would like to see a young QB learn behind the greatest like GB did with whats-his-face…

I agree with all those things.

However he has said that it is his responsibility to make sure PM is not hurt on the field.

This I disagree with and is the only thing Irsay has ever said that concerns me regarding this matter.

If a doctor clears a man to play and he is under contract, then he is clear to play. Everyone who plays professional football is at risk. It is the players' decision to step on the field - not the owners'. While I do fear this comment is Irsay's possible escape clause I do not think he will use it as such.

If its not about money and we have drafted an adequate back-up, then why not let the healing continue past March 8th into April. Perhaps May and even June. Heck why not wait until August. After all Peyton at 80% > Andrew Luck at 100%. Lets pay him to heal. We owe him this. Lets let our new HC decided if Peyton has enough zip to start on opening day…since its not about the money.

The biggest story is right there in Indy. In fact Irsay has to turn reporters away for a week. Let that gravy train go? Madness. Why not let the NATIONAL story continue all the way up to pre-season when the media will speculate who will start in Indy. Why not let the story continue all the way until Peyton Manning retires..a Colt. Does anyone think Andrew Luck will ever bring this much media attention to this team? I don't. Personally I find him smug. Smug doesn't sell Gatorade or Sony TVs. Peyton certainly isn't as handsome as Touchdown Tom and yet you don't see Brady pushing brands. Pft Andrew Luck's only possible sponsor might be Geico.

Peyton Manning, as you know is the greatest thing to happen to the NFL since the AFL and NFL merged and the Super Bowl was created. I hope that Jim Irsay is indeed humbled by this man, as we all are. He put your town on the map. Not just by his work ethic, his accomplishments on the field for this organization, but for his demeanor off the field and his contributions to charitable organizations as well. While it would suffice to say that about 15% of all players in the NFL, Peyton brings a certain Je ne sais quoi to the league. That is there is something about him, no one can quite pin point that makes him special. I think the fact that Indianapolis was able to build Lucas Oil Stadium is proof of this. The city would never have given their tax dollars (yes, your tax dollars went to that stadium from which Jim Irsay will make 10-15 million off the Big Ten alone) to a team lead by Jeff George or even Jim Harbaugh. Even my wife is a football fan now, because of Peyton Manning. She has watched every televised game since his rookie year.

Sometimes when we are responsible for someone's fate, we can feel a little larger than the person whose fate whom we may control. This will be the second time Irsay will determine Peyton's NFL future and that can be egotistic. The day he drafted him and March 8th - when he will cut a check for Manning's roster bonus will be the two days I am referring to.

I like to think the silence regarding the situation this week is because it is the super bowl and previously because Irsay wants to remain tight lipped regarding his pick and Manning's future so he can have business options…like a poker face. In many ways, Peyton coming out and saying he is progressing every day is sort of calling Irsay's bluff. I'm healthy. I want to be a Colt. Bust out the check book.

At this point if Manning and Irsay emerge from behind closed doors and announce that they are separating, then we will know it was always about the money.

If Irsay cuts Manning, the Colts could go down in history as the modern day Boston Red Sox and we would indeed deserve any curses placed on us by the football gods. This is bigger than business simply because its Peyton fricking Manning. There will never be another player like him, especially in the society we live in today. Analysts have already signed Manning to the (insert your local team that isn't in the super bowl so you'll watch espn), but they are missing the point, Manning is the epitome of an NFL quarterback in ALL eras. He re-wrote the way the game is played in the modern era but with the style and flair of the throw-back era greats like Johnny U.

In fact, if Irsay cuts Manning I would very much like to see those same football gods place Manning on the Texans. I would probably on some level be rooting for him and the Texans to make Irsay pay for his mistake. As an unrestricted Free Agent, Manning could just do that.

As a lifelong Colts fan, nothing has given me as much pleasure as watching Peyton Manning pull of the impossible week after week and for this I thank both Irsay and Manning. Honestly, I don't think any of us, Including Irsay could bear to think of Manning's last moment in blue - shrugging his shoulders at Caldwell's time out - versus of all teams, the Jets.

Many of us have been waiting since that day for Jim Caldwell to be fired. Many of us thought Peyton would never win another super bowl with Jim Caldwell as coach. Well, Jim Irsay has answered all of our prayers and more and gone ahead and taking it a step further by cleaning house. he has put the franchise on the line and many of us respect him for it.

I think everyone pretty much lives by the mantra…If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I hope Irsay does too. Well after a 2-16 season we found out what wasn't broke.

so don't fix it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From your perspective, I can see why it won't end well but for this one scenario.

In fact, if Irsay cuts Manning I would very much like to see those same football gods place Manning on the Texans. I would probably on some level be rooting for him and the Texans to make Irsay pay for his mistake. As an unrestricted Free Agent, Manning could just do that.

If you can root for the Texans led by Peyton to beat the Colts, then you are a Peyton Manning fan.

You are not a Colts fan.

From your perspective, I can see why it won't end well but for this one scenario.

If you can root for the Texans led by Peyton to beat the Colts, then you are a Peyton Manning fan.

You are not a Colts fan.

And neither are you if you dis other fans and reduce to calling them names. Its sad fans like you put a lable on everything. Aint got nothing nice to say, dont.

And neither are you if you dis other fans and reduce to calling them names. Its sad fans like you put a lable on everything. Aint got nothing nice to say, dont.

It's not dissing. And I have not called him any names.

I merely state fact. He favors a Peyton-led Texan team over the Colts. Therefore he is a Peyton Manning fan, more than a Colts fan.

Blue, You make statements that you claim are facts that simply aren't.

How do you know manning WILL play again? Even he doesn't at this point.

How do you know Manning at 80%> Luck at 100%?

I, personally, don't care about selling Sony TVs and DirecTV, and gatorade. I just want a QB thats healthy enough to play.

If manning fits the bill, thats my choice. but if there is a legitimate question of that, then a back-up plan (no pun intended) is in order.

And I don't feel painter, danny O, a 2nd , 3rd rd pick or any other "bandaid" will do this organization justice. Or get used to 2-14.

I merely state fact. He favors a Peyton-led Texan team over the Colts. Therefore he is a Peyton Manning fan, more than a Colts fan.

I have news for you.

The texans will take a healthy Schaub(he'll be healthy) over a questionable manning everyday.

I think some will be surprised that less teams will mortgage the farm for a questionable manning than they think.

Manning on another team (even at 100%) doesn't automatically guarantee success. especially when we're only talkin another 2 -4 years if they're lucky.

Thats a BIG gamble.

We saw this with even a healthy SB winning Montana, Warner, etc.

Sure you did and yes you did dis him. You siad hes not a fan, what.. like you. Maybe perhaps people should start taking that as a complement.

You have stated if someone roots for Peyton to win they are not a colts fan. So, who made you the fan police?

Me, i wanna see the colts get ripped by a healthy Manning if Irsay is dumb enough to send a healthy Manning packing. Doesnt mean im not a colts fan, it means i want them to pay for their mistake. And peyton will make them pay.

Remember he told Irsay and Polian 'if you dont take me im gonna come back and kick your butts for the next 15 years' well, start kickin!

Sure you did and yes you did dis him. You siad hes not a fan, what.. like you. Maybe perhaps people should start taking that as a complement.

You have stated if someone roots for Peyton to win they are not a colts fan. So, who made you the fan police?

Me, i wanna see the colts get ripped by a healthy Manning if Irsay is dumb enough to send a healthy Manning packing. Doesnt mean im not a colts fan, it means i want them to pay for their mistake. And peyton will make them pay.

Remember he told Irsay and Polian 'if you dont take me im gonna come back and kick your butts for the next 15 years' well, start kickin!

If you root against the colts then by definition you are not a Colts fan.. Kinda simple really..

How do you know Manning at 80%> Luck at 100%?

I, personally, don't care about selling Sony TVs and DirecTV, and gatorade. I just want a QB thats healthy enough to play.

If manning fits the bill, thats my choice. but if there is a legitimate question of that, then a back-up plan (no pun intended) is in order.

And I don't feel painter, danny O, a 2nd , 3rd rd pick or any other "bandaid" will do this organization justice. Or get used to 2-14.

C'mon....get out of here with your logic.... LOL. Just because Peyton was extremely optimistic in the interview today people want to make the jump that he will be recovered 100%. So much of that is still out of his hands. Rehab can only go so far.

Wrong. Wow, this concept seems to be way over your heads. Too deep of a thought for the two of you to handle i guess. Sorry to confuse you. Lord help me.

I think your concept of fan and the actual meaning of fan is the problem.. If you are a fan of a TEAM you root for the TEAM..

Umm................chill?

Can we just refrain from making such absolute statements.....just for a while?

He'll never play

I wont root for _______ again

I am done

You're not a real fan

How about the word may? Or might? Hmmmm, how about "I think"...rather than "We". Perhaps a "could", or a "possible".

No one here knows jack faschiznik. Are we no better than media people who are throwing mud at a wall hoping something will stick? Look, no one here will be impressed if someone guesses right....ok?

Healthy by when? I say no way is Peyton healthy in 4 weeks. So do you pay the 28 million and handicap the team on the chance that he Might be able to come back at some time next year? If you hang on to a wish and a prayer too long it could be disastrous for the team's future if it ended up in retirement.

Umm................chill?

Can we just refrain from making such absolute statements.....just for a while?

He'll never play

I wont root for _______ again

I am done

You're not a real fan

How about the word may? Or might? Hmmmm, how about "I think"...rather than "We". Perhaps a "could", or a "possible".

No one here knows jack faschiznik. Are we no better than media people who are throwing mud at a wall hoping something will stick? Look, no one here will be impressed if someone guesses right....ok?

I know Jack.. Good dude..

Healthy by when? I say no way is Peyton healthy in 4 weeks. So do you pay the 28 million and handicap the team on the chance that he Might be able to come back at some time next year? If you hang on to a wish and a prayer too long it could be disastrous for the team's future if it ended up in retirement.

March 8. Clarification achieved.

C'mon....get out of here with your logic.... LOL. Just because Peyton was extremely optimistic in the interview today people want to make the jump that he will be recovered 100%. So much of that is still out of his hands. Rehab can only go so far.

Hahaha now that's funny you'll take the word of a "source" before you'll believe the person himself....

Thanks for the laugh I need that....

LOL, yea KyFan. Currently Wool Magnet and Undecided Frog are the only two online flaming every pro manning post on the board atm. its fine this isn't my first experience with folks like this...

Just like when you accused me of being china doll on another thread? ...I mean really?

PM himself is saying he is making progress every day. While he may not be ready (and yes that is specualtion) for March 8th, he has said he will certainly play football again. he wouldn't say that if he didn't think he would be 100% for next season. The man deserves to be here even if you don't deserve him.

Next time I'll have you edit my posts before I submit...to make sure that I don't speculate that a rookie out of stanford can't possibly be as good as manning at 80% lol.

Revert back to my previous post for reference. :facepalm:

Yeah, i guess fan means something else where you come from.. Ill stick with the english version of the word.. FWIW.. I am a HUGE Peyton fan.. I named my son Peyton. I think he is not only one of the greatest players i have ever seen but a great man. I want nothing more than for him to be the QB here next year...

With that said, if he is a member of the Texans next season i want Robert Mathis to plant him for a loss of 40 every time he drops back..

Hahaha now that's funny you'll take the word of a "source" before you'll believe the person himself....

Thanks for the laugh I need that....

You obviously don't understand the total unpredictability of nerve regeneration. Heck....the doctors don't even know exactly how this will turn out. I'm not a Manning basher.....I love the guy........but I'm a realist. So many of you Manning fans are looking at this with blinders. Of coarse Peyton is optimistic. Why would he work so hard to get back if he wasn't 100% optimistic. With that being said there is still a certain percentage of recovery that is out of his hands. Only time will tell.

Like Irsay said ..... The Horseshoe comes first ...and as a Colts fan the Horseshoe comes before Manning. Players don't last forever....franchises do...So once Manning has retired who will you follow ? I will and always be a Colts fan first.....

And like a lot of people and "sources" have said, if it wasn't for #18 the horseshoe might have packed bags and headed to LA already....that has to count for something...

Yeah, i guess fan means something else where you come from.. Ill stick with the english version of the word.. FWIW.. I am a HUGE Peyton fan.. I named my son Peyton. I think he is not only one of the greatest players i have ever seen but a great man. I want nothing more than for him to be the QB here next year...

With that said, if he is a member of the Texans next season i want Robert Mathis to plant him for a loss of 40 every time he drops back..

It has to do with Peyton kicking Irsay/Grigsons butts not the players of the colts, ect.

Im not a manning or colts fan, im both in that respect. It would be like 'take that mr. Irsay/grigson'.

Then i would go back to pulling for the colts against every other opponent in the nfl. Just me.

It has to do with Peyton kicking Irsay/Grigsons butts not the players of the colts, ect.

Im not a manning or colts fan, im both in that respect. It would be like 'take that mr. Irsay/grigson'.

Then i would go back to pulling for the colts against every other opponent in the nfl. Just me.

I hear what youre saying.. I think if Irsay truely believes Peyton can play next year he will be here. Time will tell i guess

Ironic that Mathis (whos payroll will hurt as much in the cap as Manning) will be the one planting peyton for a 40 yard loss in this fans fantasy.

But its ok to keep him. A guy who doesn't even play every down on defense.

That said, I am not going to be rooting for the texans as Fan of the Manning has pointed out but rather just a big "take that" to the FO for letting the GOAT go.

Not that I wasn't clear in my post.

You obviously don't understand the total unpredictability of nerve regeneration. Heck....the doctors don't even know exactly how this will turn out. I'm not a Manning basher.....I love the guy........but I'm a realist. So many of you Manning fans are looking at this with blinders. Of coarse Peyton is optimistic. Why would he work so hard to get back if he wasn't 100% optimistic. With that being said there is still a certain percentage of recovery that is out of his hands. Only time will tell.

And your a pro(doctor, if so my apologizes)

But his doctors/trainers keep telling him good news, and that's different from what the "sources" and so called espn experts are saying.

Fact is, we'll kno the truth eventually and until then if your name isn't Jim Irsay or Peyton Manning then they(espn) should keep mouth shut and spare us from all the speculation. Everyone knows Peyton likes to keep his business in house, he obviously felt that he had to come out and talk to put some of the fire out. And IMO did u watch the interview(it was for Gatorade)? He looked pi**ed, looked like he was about to jump out that chair and start choking that dude..

I am a huge Peyton Manning fan. I am 100% for trading the 1st pick and keeping Peyton if healthy. I would rather have Peyton for 4 years than Luck for 10.

if Peyton leaves and goes to another team I will be very upset. I want Peyton to finish his career as a Colt. If not I still want him to be successful.

But with that being said if Peyton goes to lets say the Titans, Dolphins, or 49ers.. and plays agains the Colts I want the Colts to win 49-0.

Any other team I want them to win 90-0 so there is a difference lol.

LOL, yea KyFan. Currently Wool Magnet and Undecided Frog are the only two online flaming every pro manning post on the board atm. its fine this isn't my first experience with folks like this...

Just like when you accused me of being china doll on another thread? ...I mean really?

PM himself is saying he is making progress every day. While he may not be ready (and yes that is specualtion) for March 8th, he has said he will certainly play football again. he wouldn't say that if he didn't think he would be 100% for next season. The man deserves to be here even if you don't deserve him.

Next time I'll have you edit my posts before I submit...to make sure that I don't speculate that a rookie out of stanford can't possibly be as good as manning at 80% lol.

Come on Blue, I'm not flaming.

I'm just not living in fantasy land.

And please, if you are gonna quote me, PLEASE show the whole quote. Otherwise its taken out of context.

I think I've stated quite clearly I want peyton to play on the Colts.

I'm just not gonna assume he'll be 100% when nothing has pointed to that.

Thats like the people who are maxing out credit cards because they think the worlds gonna end this year so they won't have to pay them off.

Its just not realistic.

If you root against the colts then by definition you are not a Colts fan.. Kinda simple really..

lol not true. I was rooting for the jags to beat the colts the last game of the season, and many colt fans was doing this, maybe even you?

So that not true,

And your a pro(doctor, if so my apologizes)

But his doctors/trainers keep telling him good news, and that's different from what the "sources" and so called espn experts are saying.

Fact is, we'll kno the truth eventually and until then if your name isn't Jim Irsay or Peyton Manning then they(espn) should keep mouth shut and spare us from all the speculation. Everyone knows Peyton likes to keep his business in house, he obviously felt that he had to come out and talk to put some of the fire out. And IMO did u watch the interview(it was for Gatorade)? He looked pi**ed, looked like he was about to jump out that chair and start choking that dude..

I wondered why he kept plugging Gatorade.....LOL.....thought that was kind of funny. Personally.....I think I would like them to retain Manning AND draft Luck and take the 10 million cap hit or whatever. Give Peyton until September to get 100% healthy and if he's not ready you start Luck and release Manning after the season.

Good Post. Although I can't agree with everything. No way do I want to see the Colts struggle. I want all the success for Manning. If anyone deserve it, it would be Peyton. If Irsay lets Peyton go, would I like to see Irsay be shown what a mistake he made? Yes, but I do not want anything to come at the expense of the team. Would it feel nice for Peyton to stick it to Jim? Sure, but that feeling will be very sort lived because at the end of the day the Colts lost. Would I like to say "I told you so" to the supporters of moving on? Yes, but again nothing should come at the expense of the Colts failing. I want the successor to achieve even half of what Peyton did. We all can agree Peyton has achieved a great deal with what he was given. There will never be another Peyton to play the game. I feel so blessed to watch him play. I want him to finish his career as a Colt, and on a high note for that fact. Just like Elway. I do believe Peyton deserves every benefit of the doubt. He brought the team, and Indy a great deal. Lets hope Peyton can stay in blue, and continue the magic we grown accustomed to. I don't think we will ever get to have that feeling being behind in a game, and not having to worry. Peyton always gave us the feeling of win. Even when we were down by a lot.

wool, its all good. I think that china doll comment got to me because I really thought that guy was a troll.

joo2h, i'm not gonna lie and say I wasn't rooting for the #1 pick after it was clear we weren't making the playoffs.

see, sometimes rooting against the colts makes you MORE of a fan than rooting for them. Jags game is a perfect example.

I also want to make it clear that I have been a huge andrew luck fan since I saw him lay out Shareece Wright. At no time do I want to see this franchise slip back to the ways of the 80s and I hope for the best no matter what we do. I also want to make it clear that Irsay has done way more than I had expected by firing Polian. That took some guts as the guy is highly respected by his peers. I still think we fired Chris rather than Bill, but guts none the less.

Ironic that Mathis (whos payroll will hurt as much in the cap as Manning) will be the one planting peyton for a 40 yard loss in this fans fantasy.

But its ok to keep him. A guy who doesn't even play every down on defense.

That said, I am not going to be rooting for the texans as Fan of the Manning has pointed out but rather just a big "take that" to the FO for letting the GOAT go.

Not that I wasn't clear in my post.

It could be any Colt defender dropping him for a loss of 40.. Sorry i didnt make that clear..

Wrong. Wow, this concept seems to be way over your heads. Too deep of a thought for the two of you to handle i guess. Sorry to confuse you. Lord help me.

No its definitely you who is confused...if you root against the colts your NOT a colts fan. He didn't say there was anything wrong with being just a manning fan but fact is if you root for peyton to beat the colts IF he goes to another team your not a colts fan. I'll even give an example if peyton went to the patriots would you root for him to still beat the colts

No its definitely you who is confused...if you root against the colts your NOT a colts fan. He didn't say there was anything wrong with being just a manning fan but fact is if you root for peyton to beat the colts IF he goes to another team your not a colts fan. I'll even give an example if peyton went to the patriots would you root for him to still beat the colts

Holy cow, can you imagine if in some bizarro world Peyton became the Pats QB.. Then i would know for sure the Mayans were correct about the end of the world in December..