Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay And Manning - The Only Way This Ends Well...

BleedingBlue

But now we know he is healthy enough to play next year. If he is healthy enough to play in the NFL then why not the Colts?

Really? How do we know this? Peyton says he intends to play next year. He intends to...doesn't necessarily mean that he will be able to. But assuming that he does play, what is mucking up the situation for him playing for the Colts is the looming March 8th date. Peyton has to be at a point in his progression health wise to merit Irsay feeling good enough to gamble $28 million that Peyton will be able to play the season and that he is still the same caliber of player that he once was. It is possible that Manning won't be ready by March 8th but he very well could be very close by the time training camp breaks. However, no one has a crystal ball to know for sure and to risk $28 million and ham-tie the franchise's salary cap on what is at present an uncertainty just doesn't make good business sense.

This sounds cold...I know. Believe me it would not bother me one bit to ultimately be proven wrong on this. In a perfect world we wouldn't be having this conversation about Peyton so soon. But unfortunately, it is what it is.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? How do we know this? Peyton says he intends to play next year. He intends to...doesn't necessarily mean that he will be able to. But assuming that he does play, what is mucking up the situation for him playing for the Colts is the looming March 8th date. Peyton has to be at a point in his progression health wise to merit Irsay feeling good enough to gamble $28 million that Peyton will be able to play the season and that he is still the same caliber of player that he once was. It is possible that Manning won't be ready by March 8th but he very well could be very close by the time training camp breaks. However, no one has a crystal ball to know for sure and to risk $28 million and ham-tie the franchise's salary cap on what is at present an uncertainty just doesn't make good business sense.

This sounds cold...I know. Believe me it would not bother me one bit to ultimately be proven wrong on this. In a perfect world we wouldn't be having this conversation about Peyton so soon. But unfortunately, it is what it is.

Precisely. Some people do not read critically. Some people just read and understand it to mean what they want it to mean, not for the reality of what it says.

Also, please provide the link to where you have seen or heard Peyton say he will play in 2012.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/02/02/peyton-manning-has-been-medically-cleared-to-play-football-again/

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/peyton-manning-reportedly-cleared-return/

you done questioning me now? You couldn't believe PM himself. You'll probably question the doctors. Question his recovery. Use some mumbo about nerves. Then it will be payroll and cap. I'm kind of sad after reading your post history. all negative. calling folks out on everything.

moving forward its /ignore for you.

Really? How do we know this?

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/02/02/peyton-manning-has-been-medically-cleared-to-play-football-again/

You know, if we pick up his option, and he can't play, it will pretty much cripple this team for the next few years right? That's the issue. I would think that people who want to make the "All he's done for the team" argument wouldn't want his last action as a Colt to be condemning us to salary cap heck.

I'm not saying you have to release him, only that you have to be darn sure he's going to play if you pick up that option. The alternative can not happen regardless of how much Manning has done for this franchise and city.

Reguarding the first couple of sentences, maybe the "Peyton ONLY" fans don't care about the team being crippled, because its Peyton or nothing. Some will even stop watching the NFL all together.

Then of course some don't know the ramifications if Manning doesn't regain his arm strength but was paid.

It's not dissing. And I have not called him any names.

I merely state fact. He favors a Peyton-led Texan team over the Colts. Therefore he is a Peyton Manning fan, more than a Colts fan.

I see your point but I think you argue just for the sake of arguing.

So let me understand you correctly. If Peyton says he will play in 2012, you think this will be true? Are there not any uncertainties that surround his health and his ability to throw the ball similar to his pre-injury form? How can Peyton force Irsay to pay him the option bonus to continue playing him? If he is released, how can Peyton force another team to pick him up and play him?

Also, please provide the link to where you have seen or heard Peyton say he will play in 2012.

I think your answer has a lot more to do with wishful thinking than reality.

I think I am pretty secure with my status as a member here, unless you are somehow threatening me (which I believe is against the TOS).

I am having a good time on these forums. If nothing else, I have great insight into human psychology as exemplified in your posts.

If you can avoid insulting me in the future, with your silly references to my screen name, I think it will go better for you.

Why does it always seem like you have to argue? Why can't you try to see if ther is validity in someone's opinion? Do you get a kick out of arguing? Take it how you want it, but I think yo do it just for the sake of doing so.

Yeah...I saw this. Hmmm...it is a step in the right direction but the question marks surrounding regeneration of the nerve and how much if any of his arm strength will return still exist at this point. Unless there is some further clarity on this issue between now and March 8th, it remains a huge risk to pay that $28 million option.

That said I am wishing the best for Peyton going forward. I still do believe in miracles and it will probably have to take one to keep him in Indy next season. So here's hoping for one.

You are mistaken. Neither article provided any quote from Peyton saying that he will play in 2012. In fact neither article quoted Peyton saying anything at all.

I am assuming you made an error, and will wait for your next post with the appropriate article that has the quote from Peyton saying that he will play in 2012, as you originally claimed.

you done questioning me now? You couldn't believe PM himself. You'll probably question the doctors. Question his recovery. Use some mumbo about nerves. Then it will be payroll and cap. I'm kind of sad after reading your post history. all negative. calling folks out on everything.

moving forward its /ignore for you.

http://thebiglead.co...football-again/

You can ignore me all you want. However, I shall continue to call you out when you make claims that have no evidence to support them, as exampled above.

I am dismayed by the general lack of critical reading comprehension skills.

Why does it always seem like you have to argue? Why can't you try to see if ther is validity in someone's opinion? Do you get a kick out of arguing? Take it how you want it, but I think yo do it just for the sake of doing so.

Because, as you see in my post above, there is no validity to his claims. He is not expressing opinion. He is asserting fact. Peyton never said he will play in 2012. He said he intends to play, or wants to play, etc. but there is no definitive statement that he will, as BleedingBlue insists.

On top of that he claims because Peyton said such a thing, it is going to be true. And the reality is he may hope for it, but asserting it as the factual outcome is wishful thinking.

The failure to recognize the difference between opinion and fact, between wishful thinking and reality, leads to very bad results.

The Polians were fired partly because they failed to contingency plan for the case if PM went down. They did not believe that PM would ever go down for the entire season. That was wishful thinking. Reality bit them and us hard. Shouldn't we learn from this?

Is for Jim Irsay to make sure Peyton Manning plays every down of his career as a Colt. He will play again and therefore it should be as a Colt.

I have faith that JIm Irsay is a man of his word and he will not use Mannings health as an escape clause on March 8th but rather he will pay him to continue healing.

Irsay has said that it is not about money. He has said he will not trade Peyton Manning. He has said that if Peyton Manning is healthy, then he will be a colt next year. He has said that he would like to see a young QB learn behind the greatest like GB did with whats-his-face…

I agree with all those things.

However he has said that it is his responsibility to make sure PM is not hurt on the field.

This I disagree with and is the only thing Irsay has ever said that concerns me regarding this matter.

If a doctor clears a man to play and he is under contract, then he is clear to play. Everyone who plays professional football is at risk. It is the players' decision to step on the field - not the owners'. While I do fear this comment is Irsay's possible escape clause I do not think he will use it as such.

If its not about money and we have drafted an adequate back-up, then why not let the healing continue past March 8th into April. Perhaps May and even June. Heck why not wait until August. After all Peyton at 80% > Andrew Luck at 100%. Lets pay him to heal. We owe him this. Lets let our new HC decided if Peyton has enough zip to start on opening day…since its not about the money.

The biggest story is right there in Indy. In fact Irsay has to turn reporters away for a week. Let that gravy train go? Madness. Why not let the NATIONAL story continue all the way up to pre-season when the media will speculate who will start in Indy. Why not let the story continue all the way until Peyton Manning retires..a Colt. Does anyone think Andrew Luck will ever bring this much media attention to this team? I don't. Personally I find him smug. Smug doesn't sell Gatorade or Sony TVs. Peyton certainly isn't as handsome as Touchdown Tom and yet you don't see Brady pushing brands. Pft Andrew Luck's only possible sponsor might be Geico.

Peyton Manning, as you know is the greatest thing to happen to the NFL since the AFL and NFL merged and the Super Bowl was created. I hope that Jim Irsay is indeed humbled by this man, as we all are. He put your town on the map. Not just by his work ethic, his accomplishments on the field for this organization, but for his demeanor off the field and his contributions to charitable organizations as well. While it would suffice to say that about 15% of all players in the NFL, Peyton brings a certain Je ne sais quoi to the league. That is there is something about him, no one can quite pin point that makes him special. I think the fact that Indianapolis was able to build Lucas Oil Stadium is proof of this. The city would never have given their tax dollars (yes, your tax dollars went to that stadium from which Jim Irsay will make 10-15 million off the Big Ten alone) to a team lead by Jeff George or even Jim Harbaugh. Even my wife is a football fan now, because of Peyton Manning. She has watched every televised game since his rookie year.

Sometimes when we are responsible for someone's fate, we can feel a little larger than the person whose fate whom we may control. This will be the second time Irsay will determine Peyton's NFL future and that can be egotistic. The day he drafted him and March 8th - when he will cut a check for Manning's roster bonus will be the two days I am referring to.

I like to think the silence regarding the situation this week is because it is the super bowl and previously because Irsay wants to remain tight lipped regarding his pick and Manning's future so he can have business options…like a poker face. In many ways, Peyton coming out and saying he is progressing every day is sort of calling Irsay's bluff. I'm healthy. I want to be a Colt. Bust out the check book.

At this point if Manning and Irsay emerge from behind closed doors and announce that they are separating, then we will know it was always about the money.

If Irsay cuts Manning, the Colts could go down in history as the modern day Boston Red Sox and we would indeed deserve any curses placed on us by the football gods. This is bigger than business simply because its Peyton fricking Manning. There will never be another player like him, especially in the society we live in today. Analysts have already signed Manning to the (insert your local team that isn't in the super bowl so you'll watch espn), but they are missing the point, Manning is the epitome of an NFL quarterback in ALL eras. He re-wrote the way the game is played in the modern era but with the style and flair of the throw-back era greats like Johnny U.

In fact, if Irsay cuts Manning I would very much like to see those same football gods place Manning on the Texans. I would probably on some level be rooting for him and the Texans to make Irsay pay for his mistake. As an unrestricted Free Agent, Manning could just do that.

As a lifelong Colts fan, nothing has given me as much pleasure as watching Peyton Manning pull of the impossible week after week and for this I thank both Irsay and Manning. Honestly, I don't think any of us, Including Irsay could bear to think of Manning's last moment in blue - shrugging his shoulders at Caldwell's time out - versus of all teams, the Jets.

Many of us have been waiting since that day for Jim Caldwell to be fired. Many of us thought Peyton would never win another super bowl with Jim Caldwell as coach. Well, Jim Irsay has answered all of our prayers and more and gone ahead and taking it a step further by cleaning house. he has put the franchise on the line and many of us respect him for it.

I think everyone pretty much lives by the mantra…If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I hope Irsay does too. Well after a 2-16 season we found out what wasn't broke.

so don't fix it.

+ 1,899,999 Colt fans

- the loud but few Luck Nation lovers

You know, if we pick up his option, and he can't play, it will pretty much cripple this team for the next few years right? That's the issue. I would think that people who want to make the "All he's done for the team" argument wouldn't want his last action as a Colt to be condemning us to salary cap heck.

I'm not saying you have to release him, only that you have to be darn sure he's going to play if you pick up that option. The alternative can not happen regardless of how much Manning has done for this franchise and city.

Irsay is in a tough spot. Manning might be able to play at a high level down the road but he may not be able to prove this NOW in time for him to make a decision, if he has not already made it already.

Irsay has to think with his business in mind here, not just fan emotion.

Because, as you see in my post above, there is no validity to his claims. He is not expressing opinion. He is asserting fact. Peyton never said he will play in 2012. He said he intends to play, or wants to play, etc. but there is no definitive statement that he will, as BleedingBlue insists.

On top of that he claims because Peyton said such a thing, it is going to be true. And the reality is he may hope for it, but asserting it as the factual outcome is wishful thinking.

The failure to recognize the difference between opinion and fact, between wishful thinking and reality, leads to very bad results.

The Polians were fired partly because they failed to contingency plan for the case if PM went down. They did not believe that PM would ever go down for the entire season. That was wishful thinking. Reality bit them and us hard. Shouldn't we learn from this?

not just him going down, but the complete failure to draft good viable players in rounds 1-2. If you miss on those rounds as much as they did (2006- 2011) then you get what you deserve = fired

Irsay is in a tough spot. Manning might be able to play at a high level down the road but he may not be able to prove this NOW in time for him to make a decision, if he has not already made it already.

Irsay has to think with his business in mind here, not just fan emotion.

If Manning signs a 3 year deal with another team, then that would be bad business for Irsay. I personally feel that he would look like a, self quoted, dipstick if another team signs Peyton, than if he keeps him and we are stuck with his contract.

If Manning signs a 3 year deal with another team, then that would be bad business for Irsay. I personally feel that he would look like a, self quoted, dipstick if another team signs Peyton, than if he keeps him and we are stuck with his contract.

You don't think Colts fans would move on if Peyton is released? Eventually?

Honestly, the PR work here by Manning and his camp has backed Irsay into a corner this week. I am not sure I like it either.

This is not ending as well as I had hoped and both sides IMO so far seem to be almost acting like a couple preparing for a divorce. This is like it's the holidays and you have to wait until the family is out of town to have "the talk."

I also feel bad for Irsay ATM actually since many will bash him if he has no choice but to release Manning eventually. Irsay has a business to run first and Peyton is part of his business.

Despite what many think Irsay did say this offseason early on that "he wanted his team back."