Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New philosophy on WRs?

Defjamz26

18 hours ago, NextGenerationLuck said:

I honestly think we found our big guy on the outside. Deon Cain was an absolute steal in the 6th round, he’s listed at 6’2 202lbs and runs a 4.43, the only knock against him I can think of is his hand size but after watching his highlights he attack’s the ball in the air and I love it. Him and Andrew can be really special this year 

Wasn't he the one knocked for a large amount of drops too? Another possible DHB in the making; Big, fast and stone hands.

Ballard described WRs who can grab a contested pass and said that Fountain can do that. His vertical is incredible.   His tape and videos show that.  That's a unique skill set and it is valued by him and the NFL. I think Cain will need to prove himself and find his niche.  

6 hours ago, Alex22 said:

Ebron is probably more athletic than Ertz and has the speed to go deep down field. So hoping he can do good things with Luck  

Detroit fans were down with his catch rate, I am hoping a change of scenery brings out the best in him. We will need him. Also, if Erik Swoope cannot be available at a high level, he might be on thin ice after this signing if Ebron does well.

20 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

I like the picks. We don't need to spend high picks on receivers. We have the kind of quarterback that has the ability to make average talent look much better. He has the ability to pin point a deep ball in a window where only a receiver can get it, specially athletic freaks who are 6'2. Should be nice targets for Luck. I can see Cain have a really good rookie year.

I don't agree with that. Plenty of team with good-great QBs still invest in the WR position. That's not say the Colts need to spend 1st round picks on the position...but they should be investing more than day 4 picks on the position.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I don't agree with that. Plenty of team with good-great QBs still invest in the WR position. That's not say the Colts need to spend 1st round picks on the position...but they should be investing more than day 4 picks on the position.

Not till the trenches are fixed. The best receiver in the league cant catch passes if his QB is looking up at the sky or the roof.

40 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Then maybe it would be a good idea to read what our #1 scout (Ballard) has to say?

Just did. Said the same thing, good but has drop problems. 

Furthermore, I don't value one opinion over others who's same job is to evaluate. When they all say the same, that might be a hint.

47 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Just did. Said the same thing, good but has drop problems. 

Furthermore, I don't value one opinion over others who's same job is to evaluate. When they all say the same, that might be a hint.

I doubt you read it at all. Ballard never said one word about Cain dropping the ball.  Now quit making stuff up because it comes back to you.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I doubt you read it at all. Ballard never said one word about Cain dropping the ball.  Now quit making stuff up because it comes back to you.

You were saying?

"He's gotta work. He's gotta become a better catcher of the ball. I mean, the No. 1 thing a wideout does is catch. He had some drops (last) year that I thought both, from a concentration point and maybe a frustration point, you're coming off a really good sophomore season, you're a junior, you think you're coming out (to the draft), and then you hit that wall where all of a sudden it starts building and you're pressing. And I thought he had some press drops in there where he would press a little bit. "

http://m.colts.com/news/article-1/Go-Inside-The-Colts’-Draft-Room-With-Chris-Ballard/6533061e-471d-4bcc-a640-5285b34d25a6

4 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

You were saying?

"He's gotta work. He's gotta become a better catcher of the ball. I mean, the No. 1 thing a wideout does is catch. He had some drops (last) year that I thought both, from a concentration point and maybe a frustration point, you're coming off a really good sophomore season, you're a junior, you think you're coming out (to the draft), and then you hit that wall where all of a sudden it starts building and you're pressing. And I thought he had some press drops in there where he would press a little bit. "

http://m.colts.com/news/article-1/Go-Inside-The-Colts’-Draft-Room-With-Chris-Ballard/6533061e-471d-4bcc-a640-5285b34d25a6

I was looking at a different report. The one in the thread.

So his explanation was not good enough for you?

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I was looking at a different report. The one in the thread.

So his explanation was not good enough for you?

It's not about that, it's about this:

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He had drops. Period. Chris Ballard even said it. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

One thing the new regime likes to see is yards after contact. No more girly-fall-down as soon as an opponent looks a you. 

I think T.Y. gets a pass. I also think he would highly praise Reggie Wayne. It's contextual.

9 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

You were saying?

My point is I think Ballard has a pretty good idea what talent is. A lot more than me or you. He more than likely watches more tape in one week than me or you have watched our whole lifetime.

Cain's drops did not happen as a sophomore so there is valid points in what Ballard had to say.

I will take his opinion over yours, sorry.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

My point is I think Ballard has a pretty good idea what talent is. A lot more than me or you. He more than likely watches more tape in one week than me or you have watched our whole lifetime.

Cain's drops did not happen as a sophomore so there is valid points in what Ballard had to say.

I will take his opinion over yours, sorry.

That's totally fine. I was merely pointing out in my initial post that there are concerns about his drops and hoping he isn't another DHB. If he is letting things get into his head his junior year in college, how easy will it be to get into his head in the pros? It's a legitimate concern.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yeah, you’re right of course. But Ed Dodds did state this up to the draft. Yards after contact. 

We definitely all want to see that. But I'll take a lay down over what happened with Austin Collie. 

We miss you Austin!

11 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

That's totally fine. I was merely pointing out in my initial post that there are concerns about his drops and hoping he isn't another DHB. If he is letting things get into his head his junior year in college, how easy will it be to get into his head in the pros? It's a legitimate concern.

That is what pro coaches are for. To teach not only skill but the mental aspects too. Having Reggie Wayne as a teacher is not a bad thing.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 1:17 PM, krunk said:

I dont think it's pointless because the play design came from Reich.   We watch the videos to see how the plays are structured.   We know the play calling itself will vary person to person.  We have no idea how Sirriani will do things, or Reich whoever calls the plays between them.

Reich said he'll be calling the plays, which is fine by me.

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not till the trenches are fixed. The best receiver in the league cant catch passes if his QB is looking up at the sky or the roof.

Yep...I should have added that once Ballard feels comfortable with the trenches I have no doubt he will draft a WR or two early.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Yep...I should have added that once Ballard feels comfortable with the trenches I have no doubt he will draft a WR or two early.

If the value is there. WR's lately have not been worth 1st and even 2nd round values. 

13 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

If the value is there. WR's lately have not been worth 1st and even 2nd round values. 

That's true. We will just to trust Ballard to know when to pull the trigger. 

I am just saying the idea that the Colts don't need to invest any early picks in the WR position is flawed.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:44 AM, Defjamz26 said:

That’s what I thought too, but the Rams got away with it. They had Robert Woods and Cooper Cupp who are both 6’0”. And they traded for Cooks. Watkins is a bigger receiver but he only had 500 yards for them. I would say that speed and route running take more priority over size. 

I’m starting to wonder if having an athletic TE is more important. Ebron could really break out here.

Ebron will only go as far as Ebron will take himself. He is being put in an ideal environment and opportunity (fresh start if you will) in Indy. And Frank Reich will use his athleticism and body to put him in one on one situations every game. If he can make the plays, and Andrew WILL put the ball on the money for him, then he will certainly break out here. But there are no excuses from here out for him. It's make or break.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, POPcorn said:

Apparently new volunteer WR coach Reggie Wayne didn't have much input on the Cain pick. St. Brown would have likely been his pick. Check out his top 5 receivers in the draft. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxv_fiT4Lx0

I couldn't believe he had EQ on there and not Moore. But the Colts passed on EQ for Fountain and Cain. That's twice they passed him up. Like I said, maybe this is the new philosophy of the Colts. Maybe they prefer smaller guys who can burn you down field. Fountain and Cain both ran faster than EQ in the 40.

37 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I couldn't believe he had EQ on there and not Moore. But the Colts passed on EQ for Fountain and Cain. That's twice they passed him up. Like I said, maybe this is the new philosophy of the Colts. Maybe they prefer smaller guys who can burn you down field. Fountain and Cain both ran faster than EQ in the 40.

How do you figure we are looking for small WR's?  Cain and Fountain are  both over 6' and 200lbs + as are both UDFA's WR we added Ishmail and Odum  There were questions about how much EQ loved the game BC of his effort. As an Irish fan it was easy to see the QB situation frustrated EQ last season