Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Khan offers to buy Wembley

SteelCityColt

The NFL is supportive of Khan buying Wembley. Khan is saying that it will help keep the team financially stabel and in Jacksonville. I don't know if I agree with that and it wouldn't surprise me if in the next 5 years we have to go to London once a year.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/england/story/3472536/fa-receives-offer-to-buy-wembley;-nfl-backs-shad-khan-as-new-owner

• Like 1

This is a really interesting development. 

The NFL also invested in Tottenham's new stadium (opening this year) having an NFL field under their pitch (which can be rolled away) so seems interesting to have two stadiums heavily linked to NFL.  Also NFL has a 10 year agreement to have games at the Tottenham stadium.

At the outset, looked to me like Khan was buying this as a "home" ground for the Jags, but came out strongly against them moving.  Maybe a ground share option is coming.

Interesting also to note that Khan owns a team in London as well (Fulham) but never mentioned them in his press release.

All in all, good news for me hoping to see more of my Colts!

Let's be honest here.....the interest in the NFL and football in general is slipping. Parents not wanting their kids to have head injuries, the politics, horrible tv and issues with the product are causing problems for the NFL. If they want to grow the league....it has to go international....or at least start drumming up interest in other countries to not just watch but to play in the future. They base is shrinking in the US.....they need a bigger base to draw from....it's inevitable.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 10:17 PM, Swan Ronson said:

It would really go down a treat with English football fans if the FA sold Wembley and England ended up playing games at the Coca Cola Stadium.

This isn't going to happen.

To be honest a lot of fans liked not having Wembley when it was rebuilt. The national team played all around the country giving fans a fairer chance of going to a game. 

Great stadium, but it’s a pain to get to.