Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck another surgery?

If Mortenson at ESPN is correct and Luck has to have second surgery and possibly miss another year, what do you do if your the Colts? Do you draft quarterback in this year’s draft? If so do you draft one early?

Since Colts had worst offensive line in the league and Jacoby was sacked and hit more then any other quarterback, coupled with the bearings Luck took past three years, what can Colts do with personnel to fix the dang O-Line?  

Also Josh McDaniels sucks 

If Luck is out for another year? Hmm.. I see the future so dark that I prefer to think that he is healthy.

The best hypothesis is we suck another year draft the best qb available(pray to not be a bust), cut/trade Luck and use the cap build a team for the new qb. Also, be known for at least the next 20 years to be the team that ruined the carrer of one of the best prospects of the 21st century.

We need a stud LT. Castonzo is an average LT and would be a good RT. We have replaced every position on the line except LT and we still get the same results. Every since Glenn retired the oline has been on a downward spiral. The LT is the cornerstone of the oline. If we plan on developing a QB, keeping our QB clean, and having a future for the franchise LT is a MOST have and the last missing piece to out oline. Either in free agency or through the draft.  

I just don’t understand if some reporters hate the Colts, or just wanting to stir the pot with all of these speculations at the worse time.  Why pick this time to make this claim, as we are scrabbling for a HC? As if they want to scare people off.  I’m glad CB wants people here who isn’t just here for Luck, because we would be screwed otherwise.  Atleast have some credible source before making a claim.  You’re spreading nothing but rumors

1 hour ago, supercolt3099 said:

We need a stud LT. Castonzo is an average LT and would be a good RT. We have replaced every position on the line except LT and we still get the same results. Every since Glenn retired the oline has been on a downward spiral. The LT is the cornerstone of the oline. If we plan on developing a QB, keeping our QB clean, and having a future for the franchise LT is a MOST have and the last missing piece to out oline. Either in free agency or through the draft.  

Castonzo is one of the better LTs in the NFL. Why shuffle him into a position that is not his?  Him getting dissed is total nonsense.

4 hours ago, supercolt3099 said:

This statement is completely wrong.  We have replaced every position on the line other than LT??  Please tell me our starting guards since we replaced them?  Tell me our starting RT since we replaced them.  AC is the pillar and only person on the line right now that is good.  Kelly missed half the year with a concussion.  What you are trying to say is just so off....wow!

On 2/6/2018 at 10:44 PM, D-lineman said:

If Mortenson at ESPN is correct and Luck has to have second surgery and possibly miss another year, what do you do if your the Colts? Do you draft quarterback in this year’s draft? If so do you draft one early?

Since Colts had worst offensive line in the league and Jacoby was sacked and hit more then any other quarterback, coupled with the bearings Luck took past three years, what can Colts do with personnel to fix the dang O-Line?  

Also Josh McDaniels sucks 

If he needs another surgery, I'm wondering why they haven't done it already.  It will be very disappointing, as a fan, if he can't return next season.  I'm sure he won't be happy either.

I think if Luck needs another surgery, then we need to upgrade the backup position through free agency.     I'm thinking Case Keenum level but I'm not sure who.  On the other hand, with an improved line, Brissett's play will improve but we don't know how much.   I'm not seeing any QB's that I'd want to spend our first pick on. 

For the O-line, I think that personnel changes and better play calling will reduce sacks.  I think we draft o-line for depth in the later rounds and a good right tackle early (2nd round).  Get two FA guards (RG/LG). 

If it turns out Luck does indeed need another surgery I think we have to strongly consider drafting a QB while we are in a position to get one this year, and not to have to potentially give up a king's ransom to move up to get one next year.

IF I am Ballard and Luck does need another surgery I am setting up the big bluff prior to the draft. I am telling everyone Luck is 100%, is ready to go, and leaking that we are most interested in whatever player or trading down (Chubb,Barkley, etc ...) that has the greatest chance of getting Cleveland to take that player 1st intending to get their QB at 4.  That would give us a choice of one of the top 2 QBs or potentially 1st if Giants grabbed someone other than QB as well.

We don't know if we will be sitting in this position again, if there is a good chance Luck is out another season we have to take the insurance policy.

Hopefully it doesn't come to this decision.

I feel like if he needed another surgery it would be happening right now and something would have leaked.  Ballard said that this was not true and he is fine during his press conference.  I really think that until you have solid video showing him throwing the ball 50 yards all day every day this is going to be a constant he does or doesn't need surgery.  Last I heard is he is headed to LA to start a program.  Heard nothing and have seen nothing since. 

Pure rumor but Mortensen has credibility for sure.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chris Ballard already shut this rumor down TWO DAYS AGO!

Why is this still being discussed?

You don't think he left it open? I felt like he was saying "he is progressing, but we don't know anything for sure". 

38 minutes ago, esmort said:

You don't think he left it open? I felt like he was saying "he is progressing, but we don't know anything for sure". 

I think he hedged...  a little.    But the rumor seemed to hint that an operation was not just possible,  it was likely and soon.    

I think Ballard shut that possibility down pretty tight.  That was my interpretation.

People are equivocating two different things and running wild with it. They are reading "we don't know if Luck needs a second surgery" and pretty much eliminate the first 5 words and go with "Luck needs a second surgery". 

On the other hand Ballard has been very careful everytime he talks to qualify what he says with "at this time", "right now", etc. I think Ballard is being meticulously precise kind of to a fault while also trying to be very strong and reassuring about Luck's health and I don't blame him because of how panicky people are being even with the optimistic reports.

I absolutely understand why Ballard is going with the whole "Luck doesn't need a surgery, no doctor is saying to us he needs a surgery... " and somewhere with a small font he adds "at this point". People are freaking out about what he's saying now. Imagine what it would look like if he came out and said "We don't really know if Luck will need a surgery, maybe in 2 months he feels pain when we ramp up his throwing and then he will go under the knife again". Just imagine him saying that and imagine what will happen next ... among the fans, among the media... just imagine the titles by the Florios of the world if they go "Luck might need another surgery" as they do now when the message they are getting is "Luck doesn't need another surgery right now". 

This is strategic and not with the thought of misleading people, but rather with the thought of avoiding panic and all out assault on the franchise and on Luck without them knowing if any of it will be required. I don't blame Ballard for the way he's handling it. I think he'd doing it right. He puts his almost invisible qualifiers to the positive reports he's getting and that's alright, unless he's lying about the reports he's getting. 

A ton of truth in the quote above and I would add, at this point even if the recovery is continuing to go well and the strength and mechanics regimen is going well. Ballard and the Colts will probably remain guarded in their response given their experience with what happened with his return this season or lack there of.......... In a once bitten twice shy type of way......

I think we probably all waffle back and forth at this point on Luck as individuals with each passing report for the same reasons as the Colts hedging its bets......at this point there are no assurances no matter how good or bad it's going at any given moment.  Until he trots out with the team and participates in drills consistently with no set backs, we have no guarantees.