Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB's could go 1, 2, 3 - Possible Trade Down With Jets

POSTED DECEMBER 29, 2017

Before the 2017 college football season started, I had seriously pondered the thought of quarterbacks going first, second, and third overall in the 2018 NFL Draft. Keep in mind, I did not read this anywhere. These are my thoughts. I don't need some NFL wannabe journalist to tell me how to think. I am more than capable of watching players and determining with my own eyes with my (over 33-years) experience, as an avid NFL fan and NFL draft wannabe guru. :D

From the start of the season to near the end now, nothing has changed with these top college quarterbacks to make me think otherwise. Could it? Sure! A lot can still happen. If Darnold and Rosen both enter the 2018 NFL Draft then I believe the top 3 picks will all be quarterbacks. I believe it will be far too tempting for the Colts not to trade back from number three.

That bodes well for us. Let's look at the teams needing a quarterback, and also having the Draft Power to move up and trade with us.

http://footballdungeon.com/2017/12/draft-power-2018/

Team Draft Picks First Pick Selections Draft Power

Cleveland Browns 12 1 1, 4, 33, 37, 64, 65, 97, 123, 129, 153, 161, 193 6,720
New York Giants 7 2 2, 34, 66, 98, 130, 162, 194 3,611
Indianapolis Colts 7 3 3, 35, 67, 99, 131, 163, 195 3,189
New York Jets 7 7 7, 38, 52, 73, 104, 147, 166 2,769
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 5 5, 36, 69, 100, 133, 164, 190 2,666
Buffalo Bills 8 17 17, 25, 48, 60, 96, 114, 145, 186 2,623
Denver Broncos 9 6 6, 41, 72, 103, 105, 134, 151, 169, 200 2,597
San Francisco 49ers 9 8 8, 56, 70, 71, 126, 135, 167, 198, 217 2,342
Cincinnati Bengals 6 10 10, 44, 75, 106, 140, 171 2,116

Cleveland and the Giants (presuming they lose Sunday) will both draft quarterbacks. I am absolutely 100% positive that both of those choices will be quarterbacks. If Darnold and Rosen both enter the draft then we can press very hard with that pencil. 

Mark it down folks, there will be a team who falls in love with Mason Rudolph and/or Josh Allen. Baker Mayfield is another interesting cat to look out for. And it really doesn't stop there. I like Riley Ferguson and Jarrett Stidham, and the list goes on, and so on. Riley and Jarrett, both share similar paths with taking some time off from football so there will be questions to answer, but the talent is there. I think they should both stay another year. However, they could enter the draft and have huge careers,falling to successful teams (like Dan Marino did). 

Rank Player College HT WT
1 Sam Darnold USC 6'4" 225
2 Josh Rosen UCLA 6'3" 210
8 Mason Rudolph Oklahoma State 6'4" 235
14 Josh Allen Wyoming 6'5" 230
25 Baker Mayfield Oklahoma 6'0" 210

The team with the fourth most firepower in the 2018 NFL draft is currently the New York Jets. The Buffalo Bills have the sixth most firepower in the draft, and I think they might not want the Jets to gain a franchise quarterback while they sit back and watch. The Bills first pick is at #17, so they would likely have to move up twice, but they have the firepower to do it.

The Broncos need a franchise quarterback and have more than enough firepower to make a deal with us. Don't sleep on the Bengals trying to move up either, because they are in striking distance.

I am sure I will change my mind several times over the course of this great upcoming off-season, and a lot of that will be determined by what the future brings. We still must play week 17 of the 2017 NFL season, and we don't know which quarterbacks are entering the 2018 NFL draft yet. If the quarterbacks come, then the Colts can build from it!

Let’s wait and see who declares. I’m still not sold Darnold will declare. Let’s also wait and see how the draft picks shake out. If we end up 2nd it will change everything as just about any trade scenerio imaginable will be a possibility. Also I am watching Buffalo very carefully. 17/24/future 1st  is a likely scenario for them to move up in the top 5 and land their guy. Also free agency might change everything. If some of these teams get free agent qbs it will be impossible to tell who is in the market to trade. As of now let’s focus on the 3rd pick as if we keep it. It’s an interesting theory you have and may play out I agree but so many moving parts as of right now it’s pointless to speculate.

ps...don’t sleep on Lamar Jackson...if he has some good pro day/combine throwing his speed and athleticism is off the charts. Teams that felt they missed on Watson might want to take a second look at him.

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Let’s wait and see who declares. I’m still not sold Darnold will declare. Let’s also wait and see how the draft picks shake out. If we end up 2nd it will change everything as just about any trade scenerio imaginable will be a possibility. Also I am watching Buffalo very carefully. 17/24/future 1st  is a likely scenario for them to move up in the top 5 and land their guy. Also free agency might change everything. If some of these teams get free agent qbs it will be impossible to tell who is in the market to trade. As of now let’s focus on the 3rd pick as if we keep it. It’s an interesting theory you have and may play out I agree but so many moving parts as of right now it’s pointless to speculate.

ps...don’t sleep on Lamar Jackson...if he has some good pro day/combine throwing his speed and athleticism is off the charts. Teams that felt they missed on Watson might want to take a second look at him.

Thanks.

Speculation is what being a fan is all about! :)

Strap on tight everyone, because this is going to be fun.

A talking head over at ESPN claims to have a source revealing the Browns love Josh Allen, comparing him to Favre.  

It's likely six QBs (Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph, Mayfield, Allen and Jackson) go in the 1st, so even if Darnold returns another's stock will rise.  

I might be in the minority but I think it's possible the Browns select Barkley #1 overall, opting for a QB (Allen) a few picks later. 

1 hour ago, Clem-Dog said:

A talking head over at ESPN claims to have a source revealing the Browns love Josh Allen, comparing him to Favre.  

It's likely six QBs (Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph, Mayfield, Allen and Jackson) go in the 1st, so even if Darnold returns another's stock will rise.  

I might be in the minority but I think it's possible the Browns select Barkley #1 overall, opting for a QB (Allen) a few picks later. 

That's interesting. Cleveland taking Barkley at #1 would shock me. 

They can stay put and probably get Darnold and Barkley. 

The Denver situation intrigues me.  If they really want to move into our spot for a QB maybe we can pry away Shane Ray from them as part of the trade.  He had some injury issues this year with his wrist but should be ready to go next year.  He could help fill an ER need.  I liked him a lot coming out.  We should have the leverage if they call us.  

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

We didn't even have to wait until the draft for this to come true. :D

I am so glad Ballard made the move now.  He should be able to secure Q. Nelson or Chubb at 6, or he could opt to trade back with Buffalo if need be.  

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, BlueShoe said:

POSTED DECEMBER 29, 2018

Before the 2017 college football season started, I had seriously pondered the thought of quarterbacks going first, second, and third overall in the 2018 NFL Draft. Keep in mind, I did not read this anywhere. These are my thoughts. I don't need some NFL wannabe journalist to tell me how to think. I am more than capable of watching players and determining with my own eyes with my (over 33-years) experience, as an avid NFL fan and NFL draft wannabe guru. :D

From the start of the season to near the end now, nothing has changed with these top college quarterbacks to make me think otherwise. Could it? Sure! A lot can still happen. If Darnold and Rosen both enter the 2018 NFL Draft then I believe the top 3 picks will all be quarterbacks. I believe it will be far too tempting for the Colts not to trade back from number three.

That bodes well for us. Let's look at the teams needing a quarterback, and also having the Draft Power to move up and trade with us.

http://footballdungeon.com/2017/12/draft-power-2018/

Team Draft Picks First Pick Selections Draft Power

Cleveland Browns 12 1 1, 4, 33, 37, 64, 65, 97, 123, 129, 153, 161, 193 6,720
New York Giants 7 2 2, 34, 66, 98, 130, 162, 194 3,611
Indianapolis Colts 7 3 3, 35, 67, 99, 131, 163, 195 3,189
New York Jets 7 7 7, 38, 52, 73, 104, 147, 166 2,769
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 5 5, 36, 69, 100, 133, 164, 190 2,666
Buffalo Bills 8 17 17, 25, 48, 60, 96, 114, 145, 186 2,623
Denver Broncos 9 6 6, 41, 72, 103, 105, 134, 151, 169, 200 2,597
San Francisco 49ers 9 8 8, 56, 70, 71, 126, 135, 167, 198, 217 2,342
Cincinnati Bengals 6 10 10, 44, 75, 106, 140, 171 2,116

Cleveland and the Giants (presuming they lose Sunday) will both draft quarterbacks. I am absolutely 100% positive that both of those choices will be quarterbacks. If Darnold and Rosen both enter the draft then we can press very hard with that pencil. 

Mark it down folks, there will be a team who falls in love with Mason Rudolph and/or Josh Allen. Baker Mayfield is another interesting cat to look out for. And it really doesn't stop there. I like Riley Ferguson and Jarrett Stidham, and the list goes on, and so on. Riley and Jarrett, both share similar paths with taking some time off from football so there will be questions to answer, but the talent is there. I think they should both stay another year. However, they could enter the draft and have huge careers,falling to successful teams (like Dan Marino did). 

Rank Player College HT WT
1 Sam Darnold USC 6'4" 225
2 Josh Rosen UCLA 6'3" 210
8 Mason Rudolph Oklahoma State 6'4" 235
14 Josh Allen Wyoming 6'5" 230
25 Baker Mayfield Oklahoma 6'0" 210

The team with the fourth most firepower in the 2018 NFL draft is currently the New York Jets. The Buffalo Bills have the sixth most firepower in the draft, and I think they might not want the Jets to gain a franchise quarterback while they sit back and watch. The Bills first pick is at #17, so they would likely have to move up twice, but they have the firepower to do it.

The Broncos need a franchise quarterback and have more than enough firepower to make a deal with us. Don't sleep on the Bengals trying to move up either, because they are in striking distance.

I am sure I will change my mind several times over the course of this great upcoming off-season, and a lot of that will be determined by what the future brings. We still must play week 17 of the 2017 NFL season, and we don't know which quarterbacks are entering the 2018 NFL draft yet. If the quarterbacks come, then the Colts can build from it!

Ya called it pretty close if not exact