Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Mcdowell Is Better Than Solomon Thomas. Says Voch Lombardit

Just now, krunk said:

I got caught!  By who?    What hole am I digging here son?      I didnt misquote anything,  and don't see a reason to defend against a point I clearly wasnt trying to make.  You made the point up to sound good bashing something that was imaginary.   Post had nothing to do with his draft status or any of us contemplating him being drafted in the top 5.  You made the assumption yourself. 

Let me put it to you this way. If I were a GM, and my scout team were feeding me all this hype that Malik McDowell is better than Solomon Thomas talent-wise and presented their case, I would ask them one question afterwards. Would you take him over Solomon Thomas? If they said no, then everything they said is Invalid. You can't make up all this nonsense info saying McDowell is better than Solomon Thomas, but not draft him over him if you truly believe that. This isn't a fantasy draft. If you believe he is that special, you take him, you are saying you wouldn't, and that makes everything that is said Invalid.

I would bet you money McDowell doesn't go in the 1st round for the right odds. Not only is he is less talented than Solomon Thomas, he has character concerns and motor issues. He takes plays off. He's a risk. Solomon Thomas is a no risk player that's safe. If you have something where Lombardi says he'd draft McDowell over Solomon Thomas, I'll change my stance on him. You wouldn't even do it yourself though, so I doubt he would either.

To add to my post. If my scouts would say they would draft McDowell over Thomas, depending on where I was in the draft, I'd either trade down if had an early pick, pick him in the middle of the 1st with a mid round pick, or trade up with a late round pick. You have to pick not only according to your own big board, but also according to the perceived value of the player according to other teams big boards. If the scouts truly had Malik McDowell above Solomon Thomas on their Big Board, then you get him at a reasonable spot where you can, no matter what. That's the point I'm trying to make, and that's basically what the title of this thread suggests. If Lombardi means what Krunk is suggesting in the title, I believe he believes this as well. If not, then it's a misquote. All I have to say about this. It's a moot point anyway, as McDowell won't even go in the 1st round most likely.

20 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Let me put it to you this way. If I were a GM, and my scout team were feeding me all this hype that Malik McDowell is better than Solomon Thomas talent-wise and presented their case, I would ask them one question afterwards. Would you take him over Solomon Thomas? If they said no, then everything they said is Invalid. You can't make up all this nonsense info saying McDowell is better than Solomon Thomas, but not draft him over him if you truly believe that. This isn't a fantasy draft. If you believe he is that special, you take him, you are saying you wouldn't, and that makes everything that is said Invalid.

I would bet you money McDowell doesn't go in the 1st round for the right odds. Not only is he is less talented than Solomon Thomas, he has character concerns and motor issues. He takes plays off. He's a risk. Solomon Thomas is a no risk player that's safe. If you have something where Lombardi says he'd draft McDowell over Solomon Thomas, I'll change my stance on him. You wouldn't even do it yourself though, so I doubt he would either.

Again its assumptions and hypothetical you're getting into. You're the same guy that told me assumptions and hypothetical were meaningless. There was not a statement made by Lombardi or myself that said Malik needed to be drafted in the top 5-10 players in this draft. However what is fact is there are players in the middle to lower part of the first round who have top ten to fifteen talent. And they often have went on to be better players. I dont think its blaspheme to say Malik talent wise may be on par or better than Thomas. In fact the guy used the film to show the different things Malik could do maybe a bit better than Thomas. But knowing the athletes(McDowell) full profile we know he's not getting drafted as high as Thomas. Doesnt necessarily mean Mcdowell isn't a top talent. Talent wise hes up there no doubt.

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

What is this talk about top 5 no one says he will go that high the guy and krunk are just saying he is talented possibly more then Thomas. Since when can a player go later but but not be better then a top 5 pick? Happens all the time 

Read my latest post. I said I would ask my scouting team if they would take him over Thomas, if not, then I ignore them. If so, I trade down or just take him at his perceived value where I think I can get him based on how good my scouts think he is. You think he's as good as Thomas and make that Bold statement, you better be willing to back it up. Yes, that happens sometimes. Usually people don't make these claims and back them up though, I would do something like this, but not with Malik McDowell. It has to be the right situation. Also, Lombardi can say what he wants without fear of backlash if he's wrong.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

Again its assumptions and hypothetical you're getting into. You're the same guy that told me assumptions and hypothetical were meaningless. There was not a statement made by Lombardi or myself that said Malik needed to be drafted in the top 5-10 players in this draft. However what is fact is there are players in the middle to lower part of the first round who have top ten to fifteen talent. And they often have went on to be better players. I dont think its blaspheme to say Malik talent wise may be on par or better than Thomas. In fact the guy used the film to show the different things Malik could do maybe a bit better than Thomas. But knowing the athletes(McDowell) full profile we know he's not getting drafted as high as Thomas. Doesnt necessarily mean Mcdowell isn't a top talent. Talent wise hes up there no doubt.

Oh it would be absolutely crazy to draft him top 5 or top 10. There's no need to, because no team would actually reach that high for him, even on a need pick. I would want my scouts to tell me they would take him over Solomon Thomas though if I were a GM. If they couldn't say that after feeding me Lombardi's info, I would find it very hard to take them seriously. I still wouldn't take him over Thomas, it would simply mean we would have McDowell over Thomas on the Big Board. Then you get him as late as you can while safely making sure he's available if you are that high on him. So I guess for me it isn't would you take him over Thomas, it's would you rate him over Thomas on your Big Board so Thomas is unavailable to you? His talent is there as you said, but he has other issues as well.

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

What is this talk about top 5 no one says he will go that high the guy and krunk are just saying he is talented possibly more then Thomas. Since when can a player go later but but not be better then a top 5 pick? Happens all the time 

He made up a hypothetical to create a new argument out of smoke. Saying that Mcdowell should be drafted with Myles Garret or before Solomon Thomas was never the point. I my own self know Thomas will be drafted higher. Draft position however does not necessarily mean you got the best player. Or that players drafted below said player cant be on par talent wise. Its been proven on many stages its not the case.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Read my latest post. I said I would ask my scouting team if they would take him over Thomas, if not, then I ignore them. If so, I trade down or just take him at his perceived value where I think I can get him based on how good my scouts think he is. You think he's as good as Thomas and make that Bold statement, you better be willing to back it up. Yes, that happens sometimes. Usually people don't make these claims and back them up though, I would do something like this, but not with Malik McDowell. It has to be the right situation. Also, Lombardi can say what he wants without fear of backlash if he's wrong.

You realize Malik was once talked about as a top 5 pick this past year? No one is guaranteeing he will be better then Thomas but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. 

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

He made up a hypothetical to create a new argument out of smoke. Saying that Mcdowell should be drafted with Myles Garret or before Solomon Thomas was never the point. I my own self know Thomas will be drafted higher. Draft position however does not necessarily mean you got the best player. Or that players drafted below said player cant be on par talent wise. Its been proven on many stages its not the case.

Exactly and like I just told Jared Malik was talked about early on as a top 5 talent. Other questions have dropped him since but still his talent was obviously enough to get people talking about him.

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

You realize Malik was once talked about as a top 5 pick this past year? No one is guaranteeing he will be better then Thomas but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. 

A year ago is a long time. I would bet money he is a complete bust. This guy just screams headcase to me. Want him nowhere near the Colts and it's just another reason why the Hankins signing was so great, makes it unlikely that we get McDowell now.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

A year ago is a long time. I would bet money he is a complete bust. This guy just screams headcase to me. Want him nowhere near the Colts and it's just another reason why the Hankins signing was so great, makes it unlikely that we get McDowell now.

And what guarntee is there that Thomas isn't a bust? Malik has been talked about beings freak since his first year starting. I haven't heard a damn thing about Thomas til after this season. Hell no one even talked about him in the draft process til half way to the draft.

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Exactly and like I just told Jared Malik was talked about early on as a top 5 talent.

I have a secret why I hit on most of the people I choose in drafts. I don't get influenced by draft analysts, media members or rankings to most extents. I do my own research. I will go against the grain the majority of the time if I feel like it's the correct move. I'm not afraid to call a 1st round guy a bust, and usually when I do, I'm right. I said Khalil Mack would be better than Clowney when I first joined this forum, and got ridiculed for it. I will make minority decisions that would make or break a team. I've been right on every 1st round pick I've chosen for the Colts in the Luck era, and most of the day 2 picks as well. I don't get swayed easy. If I do, it has to be by something very powerful.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

And what guarntee is there that Thomas isn't a bust? Malik has been talked about beings freak since his first year starting. I haven't heard a damn thing about Thomas til after this season. Hell no one even talked about him in the draft process til half way to the draft.

Thomas really wasn't great til his senior season. However, he is the epitome of what teams look for in a football player and the antithesis of Malik McDowell. Solomon Thomas, along with being a tremendous athlete, gives high effort and has great skills along with a very good combine. He has no character issues, he's squeaky clean and dependable. He's no Myles Garrett, but he's as safe as they come. Malik McDowell is the definition of high risk, and I'm not even sure it's high reward. The guy has poor work ethic and leadership. He's talented, but so is Thomas without the baggage.

It's like the mystery box and the boat gig from family guy. Solomon Thomas is the boat. Malik Mcdowell is the Mystery Box. The saying is, "A boat is a boat, but a mystery box could be anything, it could even be a boat!" You are hoping Malik McDowell will turn into Solomon Thomas or you could just pick Solomon Thomas and get him right there. That's why Malik will go later, a sucker will have to take that risk and get the mystery box.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Thomas really wasn't great til his senior season. However, he is the epitome of what teams look for in a football player and the antithesis of Malik McDowell. Solomon Thomas, along with being a tremendous athlete, gives high effort and has great skills along with a very good combine. He has no character issues, he's squeaky clean and dependable. He's no Myles Garrett, but he's as safe as they come. Malik McDowell is the definition of high risk, and I'm not even sure it's high reward. The guy has poor work ethic and leadership. He's talented, but so is Thomas without the baggage.

It's like the mystery box and the boat gig from family guy. Solomon Thomas is the boat. Malik Mcdowell is the Mystery Box. The saying is, "A boat is a boat, but a mystery box could be anything, it could even be a boat!" You are hoping Malik McDowell will turn into Solomon Thomas or you could just pick Solomon Thomas and get him right there. That's why Malik will go later, a sucker will have to take that risk and get the mystery box.

And that sucker has a chance to get a Thomas talented player in the late 1st or early second I sure would love to be that sucker.

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

And that sucker has a chance to get a Thomas talented player in the late 1st or early second I sure would love to be that sucker.

Don't be Peter Griffin! :) I honestly see him as the biggest bust candidate in the 1st round currently. He's this year's Ndeimkemche. Just remember, half of 1st round picks end up being busts, so it's likely he won't do anything of value. People overestimate players, and then get surprised when they perform poorly in the NFL. Just a bad habit I see on here during draft time. People are too timid to predict top players as busts in fear of being ridiculed.

Yeah... well it seems to me that the OP was trying to throw the idea out there that MM is better than ST in regard to talent...  not where he would be drafted either by a team or some bedroom GM.

Superman said it best, and I am paraphrasing, MM has issues that will keep him from going high, however talent wise he may be the best DT in the draft.

So drafting him in the first, second, third, or wherever vs his raw talent level are two separate arguments. 

I was pretty high on him until I heard of his potential issues (just last week).... I don't think the Colts can afford to draft him in any round, but who knows for sure.

Great breakdown of Solomon Thomas and Malik McDonald. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Malik in the 3rd. I like the measurable 6'6'' 295. And hes pretty nimble on his feet. Always moving forward and never moving back (cough, cough, Parry 6'1'' 308).

My thing with "effort" issues is that it happens every year. People questioned Bosa's effort his final year like they did Clowney. People briefly tried to do the same thing about Garrett too. Idk if I buy the effort accusations with Malik. People always try and bring someone down when they don't see what they want to see. 

Id take McDowell at 15 over Charles Harris tbh. McDowell is a guy who doesn't have to come off the field IMO. He'll play the DT role in the base 3-4 and play virtually anywhere in the sub package.

I like Anderson and Ridgeway showed promise but I wouldn't at all be upset if Ballard got McDowell in the 1st and then Chris Wormley in the 2nd. You'd have a hell of a line with Hankins, McDowell, and Wormley. Then have Hunt, Anderson, and Ridgeway rotating in. The thing with McDowell is that he's disruptive, which we don't have on our line currently. 

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

My thing with "effort" issues is that it happens every year. People questioned Bosa's effort his final year like they did Clowney. People briefly tried to do the same thing about Garrett too. Idk if I buy the effort accusations with Malik. People always try and bring someone down when they don't see what they want to see. 

Id take McDowell at 15 over Charles Harris tbh. McDowell is a guy who doesn't have to come off the field IMO. He'll play the DT role in the base 3-4 and play virtually anywhere in the sub package.

I like Anderson and Ridgeway showed promise but I wouldn't at all be upset if Ballard got McDowell in the 1st and then Chris Wormley in the 2nd. You'd have a hell of a line with Hankins, McDowell, and Wormley. Then have Hunt, Anderson, and Ridgeway rotating in. The thing with McDowell is that he's disruptive, which we don't have on our line currently. 

I really like Mcdowell the more and more I've looked. Kid is really strong.I've seen him on multiple occasions just jack a guard up and carry them into the backfield.  He does the same thing to the center. Often times it takes multiple people to block him.  Then the dude has enough athleticism to rush off the edge and create pressure.  The project stuff I don't get because the dude can already play as is.  And if he hits that next gear you got a real beast on your hands for real.

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Great points, I dont know if he warrants a 1st, I could be wrong but...

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And lets not forget what they called Julius Peppers coming out of UNC.

That's all you ever heard was "He's Lazy".

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

And lets not forget what they called Julius Peppers coming out of UNC.

That's all you ever heard was "He's Lazy".

If you don't get like 15 sacks and 20 TFLs your final year you're labeled lazy with a questionable motor.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

No.     That rarely happens......

That comment wasn't meant to be taken literally. What I meant is that basically people set sometimes unrealistic expectations for pass rushers in their final year of playing. If the prospect doesn't meet those goals people have set will say that they took plays off, didn't give 100%, have a questionable motor, etc...Especially if you don't exceed production from your previous year. That's the easiest way to get that label. If you get 13 sacks your second to last year, you better get 16.5 your final year. Again not talking literally, but there is this unfair unwritten rule about production for pass rushers in college.

55 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That comment wasn't meant to be taken literally. What I meant is that basically people set sometimes unrealistic expectations for pass rushers in their final year of playing. If the prospect doesn't meet those goals people have set will say that they took plays off, didn't give 100%, have a questionable motor, etc...Especially if you don't exceed production from your previous year. That's the easiest way to get that label. If you get 13 sacks your second to last year, you better get 16.5 your final year. Again not talking literally, but there is this unfair unwritten rule about production for pass rushers in college.

You refer to "people"....

I don't know if you're talking about fans or scouts?

The negative label's come mostly from scouts.     And they're not basing that on numbers.    They're basing that on tape.    They can see who is taking plays off.    Who is getting beaten by a lesser opponent.    Who is putting up numbers from playing weak opponents but not putting up numbers when playing strong opponents.

Scouts get inside info from coaches and staff members at the schools.     This is part of scouting.

I don't care what fans think.     I care what NFL-types think.    Scouts and player personnel and GM's and so on.    

They understand that sometimes the numbers aren't there because of legitimate reasons.     They don't want to unfairly label a player and give him a bad rap.      

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You refer to "people"....

I don't know if you're talking about fans or scouts?

The negative label's come mostly from scouts.     And they're not basing that on numbers.    They're basing that on tape.    They can see who is taking plays off.    Who is getting beaten by a lesser opponent.    Who is putting up numbers from playing weak opponents but not putting up numbers when playing strong opponents.

Scouts get inside info from coaches and staff members at the schools.     This is part of scouting.

I don't care what fans think.     I care what NFL-types think.    Scouts and player personnel and GM's and so on.    

They understand that sometimes the numbers aren't there because of legitimate reasons.     They don't want to unfairly label a player and give him a bad rap.      

I get it's the scouts but it doesn't seem like they're always watching tape or using common sense. Like forget numbers, all you have to do is look at what they're doing from snap to snap. I don't see how guys like McDowell get labeled lazy when you can watch tape and see them beating OL and creating disruption and pressure. You can't win every battle. Plus you have to consider fatigue and other factors. How long was the drive? Was he being utilized correctly? Was he being rested properly? Was the other team getting away with holding? Was he game planned against? There's so many factors to consider when looking at tape for defensive players. 

like the original video pointed out, there's a play from Solomon Thomas that can be considered him "taking a play off". I just think this whole effort thing is way overblown. I think people are just still traumatized from Albert Haynesworth. I think it's just selected viewing at times IMO.  

41 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I get it's the scouts but it doesn't seem like they're always watching tape or using common sense. Like forget numbers, all you have to do is look at what they're doing from snap to snap. I don't see how guys like McDowell get labeled lazy when you can watch tape and see them beating OL and creating disruption and pressure. You can't win every battle. Plus you have to consider fatigue and other factors. How long was the drive? Was he being utilized correctly? Was he being rested properly? Was the other team getting away with holding? Was he game planned against? There's so many factors to consider when looking at tape for defensive players. 

like the original video pointed out, there's a play from Solomon Thomas that can be considered him "taking a play off". I just think this whole effort thing is way overblown. I think people are just still traumatized from Albert Haynesworth. I think it's just selected viewing at times IMO.  

To me it also seemed like he was the only good player on their defensive line. A lot of double teams will stymie that production as well.  Wasn't really much else there to help the guy out.  I saw quite a few just going over the tape.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Mcdowell's grade likely has him anywhere from about 15-45 depending on the team.

What do you think the chances are that the scouts,  whose job it is to know everything about this guy,  have NOT watched as much tape as this guy,  Lombardi?      Just because Lombardi can show good tape,  doesn't mean that bad tape isn't out there.      McDowell had 1.5 sacks this year.    And pass rush is what he does best.    Now how does that happen.      It's not just tape....     scouts have talked to MSU coaches and staff members and they know he's wired differently.     

Every player takes plays off....    the question is.....    how many?

Thomas' reputation is that he has a motor that runs HOT all day....     and he gets the most out of his ability.

The exact opposite of McDowell....      that's now my viewpoint,   that's what NFL scouts say....

What are the chances that Lombardi knows something that the scouts don't?       

On 4/17/2017 at 5:40 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

FYI:

The reason Thomas wasn't great until his last year...  (not his senior year,  he was only at Stanford for three years and only played in two)   is that he redshirted his first year....     and then had to play out of place at Nose Tackle his 2nd season and wasn't moved outside where he could show his skills until this past year.    

Solly hasn't played football for very long...    he didn't play as a kid and only started when he got to high school,  but quickly was a high level recruit out of Texas.      So,  his best football is ahead of him.     He's barely scratched the surface.       He has a high level motor that runs hot,  the opposite of McDowell....     there's a reason that Thomas has shot up the boards late....     scouts have now done all their home work on Thomas and figured out that his ceiling is very high and his floor is high as well,  because he's a smart,  high character kid.       You'll get everything he's got every game....

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Mcdowell's grade likely has him anywhere from about 15-45 depending on the team.

What do you think the chances are that the scouts,  whose job it is to know everything about this guy,  have NOT watched as much tape as this guy,  Lombardi?      Just because Lombardi can show good tape,  doesn't mean that bad tape isn't out there.      McDowell had 1.5 sacks this year.    And pass rush is what he does best.    Now how does that happen.      It's not just tape....     scouts have talked to MSU coaches and staff members and they know he's wired differently.     

Every player takes plays off....    the question is.....    how many?

Thomas' reputation is that he has a motor that runs HOT all day....     and he gets the most out of his ability.

The exact opposite of McDowell....      that's now my viewpoint,   that's what NFL scouts say....

What are the chances that Lombardi knows something that the scouts don't?       

I do t think the scouts haven't watched as much tape. I just think they nitpick guys when they don't see the crazy numbers they want. Thomas probably doesn't get dinged as much because of his production but could equally take as many or more plays off.

I like to use Clowney and Bosa as examples. We know Clowney probably had some maturity issues and even Spurrier said he wasn't a big practice guy, but the point is both guys were top pass rushers in college. Both had people question their "motor" because they didn't put up crazy numbers their final year. So far, both look like really good NFL players. So how is it that guys with effort issues come into the NFL and dominate?

Are we supposed to believe that people just decide to step it up once they get to the next level? While that could be the case, I think the answer is more likely that these "effort" concerns are overblown by scouts and the media. I think when you don't have certain level of expected production, scouts tend to pay too much attention of the bad and blow it out of proportion. I'm sure if you analyzed two tapes of the average prospect equally you could find just as many "plays taken off". It's different when you're talking about DBs who are like Deion and don't like to tackle, because that's obvious.

Again, not saying me or Lombardi know more than the legit scouts but I just feel all these effort questions that are thrown around every year at some top prospect are way overblown. They have to be taken with a grain of salt. Joey Bosa was the talk of the town his sophomore year. Then his junior year when he didn't put up crazy sack numbers all of a sudden he "took plays off". Then he went to the NFL and had a 10.5 sack season in limited action. 

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's a film study of Malik McDowell by Matt Waldman and Doug Ferrar:

Thanks.

And funny because they addressed the effort concerns the same way I did. That it's not necessarily about effort but that on some plays he's just spent. But you see him chasing down Kizer early in the video. Again, I think the effort thing is way overblown.

53 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Thanks.

And funny because they addressed the effort concerns the same way I did. That it's not necessarily about effort but that on some plays he's just spent. But you see him chasing down Kizer early in the video. Again, I think the effort thing is way overblown.

We lost slot of talent on Defense last year and kinda left Malik high and dry lol