Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dontari Poe

I was curious after looking at a previous post referring to D. Poe and B. Williams, if D. Poe would even be available come FA. (Franchised) So, I did a quick check of the Chiefs cap situation. The Chiefs are next to last in cap space available and also have E. Berry as a FA to resign, which they will surely do. As a Colts fan, I think I would be extremely pleased if Poe was the Colts Tier 1 signing. He would add serious size in the middle, provide some pass rush, free up the LB`s  and allow D. Parry rotate in off the bench, Thoughts? 

32 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I was curious after looking at a previous post referring to D. Poe and B. Williams, if D. Poe would even be available come FA. (Franchised) So, I did a quick check of the Chiefs cap situation. The Chiefs are next to last in cap space available and also have E. Berry as a FA to resign, which they will surely do. As a Colts fan, I think I would be extremely pleased if Poe was the Colts Tier 1 signing. He would add serious size in the middle, provide some pass rush, free up the LB`s  and allow D. Parry rotate in off the bench, Thoughts? 

It's not that it's not a good idea --- it clearly is.

The fear is that 30 other teams have a similar idea.      Or 20....   or even 10.     Getting the top guys is going to be hugely expensive.

I think a lot of posters here who are wishing for 4-5 big name signings are going to be very, very disappointed.....

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The fear is that 30 other teams have a similar idea.      Or 20....   or even 10.     Getting the top guys is going to be hugely expensive.

I think a lot of posters here who are wishing for 4-5 big name signings are going to be very, very disappointed.....

If we even just get one r two big name his team is automatically better next season and then just hit on all our draft picks.

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I agree.  I think we will go big time after 2 or 3 impact FA's.  A legitimate NT automatically helps our LB's.  

It doesn't just help the LBs, it help the entire defense. Even if Poe (or whoever our NT is) isn't getting sacks himself, he's opening up opportunities for other guys to get them. If Poe can eat up the center and a guard, our DEs go one on one with a guard and a tackle, then you send an edge rusher at the other tackle. Now you've got 4 guys occupying five blockers, and a blitzing ILB or other edge rusher is going to get a chance to go one on one with a RB or TE, which he should win every single time. By sending one extra rusher (if we assume 4 is the norm), you've forced the offense to keep an extra guy in to block, and can keep 6 guys back to cover 4. 

Just by adding that one impact player, you've helped every other player on your defense and given yourself a numbers advantage in coverage while increasing your chances of getting to the QB. And that's just in the passing game, you're going to see even more advantages against the run.

5 minutes ago, MasterCrief said:

It doesn't just help the LBs, it help the entire defense. Even if Poe (or whoever our NT is) isn't getting sacks himself, he's opening up opportunities for other guys to get them. If Poe can eat up the center and a guard, our DEs go one on one with a guard and a tackle, then you send an edge rusher at the other tackle. Now you've got 4 guys occupying five blockers, and a blitzing ILB or other edge rusher is going to get a chance to go one on one with a RB or TE, which he should win every single time. By sending one extra rusher (if we assume 4 is the norm), you've forced the offense to keep an extra guy in to block, and can keep 6 guys back to cover 4. 

Just by adding that one impact player, you've helped every other player on your defense and given yourself a numbers advantage in coverage while increasing your chances of getting to the QB. And that's just in the passing game, you're going to see even more advantages against the run.

Then you have to ask yourself why is it taking so long for us to address that position?  

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Imo this shouldn't be an issue.  20 or 10 other teams don't have Andrew Luck plus room to sign one big FA.

Whomever was thinking we are signing 4-5 big names is in a complete day dream or not very bright.

But if Grigson can land Berry or Poe then this free agency is a success and there really isn't anything stopping him from making a real good run at them. 

Whether it is Berry or Poe either one would allow the linebacker spots to be addressed solely in the draft which is exactly what we need. If we start next season with 2 new starting rookie linebackers (one inside, one outside for rush), and 2 or 3 depth linebackers with a D-Line of Anderson, Poe, Ridgeway, I'd say that is a major success.  And if we don't have Poe but have a safety pool of Berry, Geathers, Butler, Green I'd say that too is a success because Berry can really make up for some deficiencies in the corner spot. 

24 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Imo this shouldn't be an issue.  20 or 10 other teams don't have Andrew Luck plus room to sign one big FA.

Whomever was thinking we are signing 4-5 big names is in a complete day dream or not very bright.

But if Grigson can land Berry or Poe then this free agency is a success and there really isn't anything stopping him from making a real good run at them. 

Whether it is Berry or Poe either one would allow the linebacker spots to be addressed solely in the draft which is exactly what we need. If we start next season with 2 new starting rookie linebackers (one inside, one outside for rush), and 2 or 3 depth linebackers with a D-Line of Anderson, Poe, Ridgeway, I'd say that is a major success.  And if we don't have Poe but have a safety pool of Berry, Geathers, Butler, Green I'd say that too is a success because Berry can really make up for some deficiencies in the corner spot. 

We're heading into year 6 of Andrew Luck.

I have yet to see one great free agent sign here because they thought the Colts have Andrew Luck plus room to sign more....

They'll sign if we offer them top dollar.     We may get one or two this year....   we'll have a lot of money.

But, I agree there's no chance we'll sign 4-5 expensive guys.

I'm thinking two pricey guys...    one is a very good pass rusher.

One of Two mid-price guys...

One or Two inexpensive guys....

That would be my rough guess....      and I want to emphasize the word "guess"...

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I would be happy with Melvin Ingram, and Poe.

Go CB round 1, and LBs 2-3 pick up a RB late, and go BPA after that.

I would have no problem with the Colts signing both Poe and Ingram. I`m hoping the Colts address RB  in the 2nd or 3rd though.

8 hours ago, MPStack said:

I would have no problem with the Colts signing both Poe and Ingram. I`m hoping the Colts address RB  in the 2nd or 3rd though.

I think Gore and Turbin (More of Turbin this year) Will be fine I want Defense all first 3 rounds. 

7 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Poe would be awesome, but I'd be stunned if the Chiefs didn't tag him.

I don`t think E. Berry is leaving K.C. and he will get a monster contract. He was franchised last year. K.C. has 4m in cap space for 2017 available. I can see Poe hitting FA and signing elsewhere. 

On January 13, 2017 at 4:51 AM, NewColtsFan said:

To the bolded - yes.

You only have to look at the monster contracts given out last year to good but not great defenders to see that is the case.  The Colts have money to spend and I am sure will spend some of it but I have a hard time seeing the complete overhaul that many want.

To the OP - Poe would clearly be a really good signing / upgrade.  

12 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I would be happy with Melvin Ingram, and Poe.

Go CB round 1, and LBs 2-3 pick up a RB late, and go BPA after that.

I think the idea of pigeon-holing specific positions into specific rounds is a really, really bad idea.  

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

I think the idea of pigeon-holing specific positions into specific rounds is a really, really bad idea.  

I concur, Gm`s have to let the draft board play out and then analyze need, BPA and the players upside.

5 minutes ago, Manning1887 said:

Given what Damon Harrison received from Giants in free agency last year, I would imagine Poe will carry a hefty price tag. Combine that with his injury history and I would pass.

2016 Kansas City Chiefs 16 27 18 9 1.5 0 3 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2015 Kansas City Chiefs 15 39 29 10 1.0 0 0 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2014 Kansas City Chiefs 16 45 37 8 6.0 -- 1 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2013 Kansas City Chiefs 15 51 43 8 4.5 -- 4 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2012 Kansas City Chiefs 16 38 28 10 0.0 -- 4 -- -- -- 0.0 --

TOTAL 78 200 155 45 13.0 0 12 0 0 0 -- 0

Two games missed in 5 seasons. You must be thinking of a different D. Poe.

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:
2016 Kansas City Chiefs 16 27 18 9 1.5 0 3 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2015 Kansas City Chiefs 15 39 29 10 1.0 0 0 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2014 Kansas City Chiefs 16 45 37 8 6.0 -- 1 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2013 Kansas City Chiefs 15 51 43 8 4.5 -- 4 -- -- -- 0.0 --

2012 Kansas City Chiefs 16 38 28 10 0.0 -- 4 -- -- -- 0.0 --

TOTAL 78 200 155 45 13.0 0 12 0 0 0 -- 0

Two games missed in 5 seasons. You must be thinking of a different D. Poe.

Interesting, I don't follow the Chiefs but I could have sworn I heard on ESPN he was dealing with a significant injury at some point.

Regardless, I would not spend that kind of money on a NT. I would take a look at Dalvin Tomlinson from Alabama in the 2nd or 3rd round instead.

7 minutes ago, Manning1887 said:

Interesting, I don't follow the Chiefs but I could have sworn I heard on ESPN he was dealing with a significant injury at some point.

Regardless, I would not spend that kind of money on a NT. I would take a look at Dalvin Tomlinson from Alabama in the 2nd or 3rd round instead.

Dalvin Tomlinson is even a smaller 6-2 305lbs version of D. Parry 6-2 310lbs. who gets pushed around and doesn`t command double teams. I rather the Colts spend the money, but that's just me.

On 1/13/2017 at 4:04 PM, NewColtsFan said:

We're heading into year 6 of Andrew Luck.

I have yet to see one great free agent sign here because they thought the Colts have Andrew Luck plus room to sign more....

They'll sign if we offer them top dollar.     We may get one or two this year....   we'll have a lot of money.

But, I agree there's no chance we'll sign 4-5 expensive guys.

I'm thinking two pricey guys...    one is a very good pass rusher.

One of Two mid-price guys...

One or Two inexpensive guys....

That would be my rough guess....      and I want to emphasize the word "guess"...

I never said that someone would sign because we can sign Luck and more...  I'm saying that if we offer player A 18 million and the browns were to offer player A 18 million 9 times out of ten they'd choose Luck over the carousel of QBs in Cleveland.