Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robert Mathis Career Retirement Tribute

AKB

7 hours ago, twfish said:

Almost criminally underrated outside of the Colts, what a career and what a beast. Hope to see him in a gold jacket

I think he will make the HOF. There are players with more sacks than him who didn't get in, but those guys aren't #1 all time in strip sacks either like Mathis is.

15 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I feel like outside of Manning, most colt's greats are underrated. Even currently our elite players are underrated throughout the league.

I guess that's the result of subpar coaching. 

It's a result of playing in a small market or a market like the Pats are in based where ESPN is at. Had Mathis played for a bigger market or for the Pats he would be a 1st ballot HOFamer IMO, I doubt he makes it in though. His strip sacks combined with being on winning teams throughout his whole career is more than enough to get him in. Edge will never make it either IMO, I do think had Edge won a Ring in Indy his chances would've improved but I don't see it. I doubt Reggie makes it either because WR's getting in is really tough. They had no choice to put Marvin in because had they hadn't of they would've looked like clowns.

Regarding Indianapolis Colts players going by since just 1984, Robert Mathis is easily Top 10. I think Peyton and Marvin are the 2 best, then you have guys like Dickerson and Faulk but they didn't play for a long time here. Then you have guys like Freeney, Mathis, Sanders, Saturday, Reggie and Edge who were here through some big winning times. It sucks Edge didn't get a Ring.

That sack of Brady at 2 min was my favorite.  But man, I will miss him a lot.  I miss watching him and fellow bookend Freeney. Man, those 2 together, should go into the hall as a pair.  I remember Bob Lamey when the Colts got an offense into a long situation, he'd always make the comment about who was gonna get them, Freeney or Mathis. 

11 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I think he will make the HOF. There are players with more sacks than him who didn't get in, but those guys aren't #1 all time in strip sacks either like Mathis is.

Mathis' biggest obstacle IMO will be the fact he was suspended for 4 games for PED use.  Whether he was using Clomid for fertility reasons or masking PEDs may be debatable to some, but it will certainly be in the mind of HOF voting committees when his time comes up.

Mathis' strip sacks and his 19.5 season are 2 things which will help a lot, IMO.  He also has the ring, two all-pro honors (one 1st team, one 2nd team) and a defensive MVP award going for him.

While I don't think it matters that much, another downfall of his which I could see being brought into the argument is he only has 5 seasons w/ 10 or more sacks (he has another 3 with 9.5 sacks, but he didn't cross that 10 sack threshold, which IMO is almost like the 1,000 yard threshold where rushing for 950 yards is very good, but it doesn't count as a milestone season).  Freeney, Strahan and others have 7 or more seasons like that.

All said, as a Colts fan, I almost think Mathis has as much or more of an argument than Freeney (though, Freeney had many seasons where he was dominant and arguably the best DE in football -- Mathis only had 1 or 2 years like that in 2013 and arguably 2009).  Mathis also may have it against him that he 'played in Freeney's shadow' and Freeney can be considered a guy who 'changed the game' as a smaller DE who really brought pass rushing into the limelight in the 2000s.  Mathis, IMO, 'changed the game' with his strip sacks, but I think he won't be looked at as a pioneer in terms of undersized passrushers since he came after Freeney.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's a result of playing in a small market or a market like the Pats are in based where ESPN is at. Had Mathis played for a bigger market or for the Pats he would be a 1st ballot HOFamer IMO, I doubt he makes it in though. His strip sacks combined with being on winning teams throughout his whole career is more than enough to get him in. Edge will never make it either IMO, I do think had Edge won a Ring in Indy his chances would've improved but I don't see it. I doubt Reggie makes it either because WR's getting in is really tough. They had no choice to put Marvin in because had they hadn't of they would've looked like clowns.

I think Edge and Reggie both get in.  Edge's lack of a ring hurts him, but he had a very very strong career and was on first-team all-decade team of the 2000s.  Edge has several records as the first or the youngest to reach milestones in yardage (rushing and total) -- he's got the >12,000 yards rushing thing going for him and >15,000 total yards and was never in trouble off the field or for PEDs, so IMO he's going to be in, it will just be a matter of time.

Reggie, IMO, will also get in eventually.  He retired in the top 10 in most receiving yards and receptions of all time, top 25 in receiving TDs of all time, and has a superbowl ring.  He is 2nd in post-season receptions (behind Rice), 4th in post-season receiving yards, and top 10 in post-season TDs.  Wayne also has one of his best seasons with a rookie QB very late in his career.  He will get in, just will be a matter of time.

9 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Mathis' biggest obstacle IMO will be the fact he was suspended for 4 games for PED use.  Whether he was using Clomid for fertility reasons or masking PEDs may be debatable to some, but it will certainly be in the mind of HOF voting committees when his time comes up.

Robert is a man of integrity. He has always done things the right way; the honorable way & it would be travesty if HOF voters deny him access to the elite hall in Canton simply because he wanted to have a child with his wife.  

I look at a man's entire career not a rare circumstance with a banned substance in his bloodstream simply because he forgot to ask medical personnel in INDY if he was allowed to consume something in his body. I suspect voters won't hold this minor blip against Mathis in the long run. 

You were an incredible pass rusher Robert. You will be dearly missed on Sundays. I wish you nothing but happiness & good fortune in the nest phase of your life. 

13 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Robert is a man of integrity. He has always done things the right way; the honorable way & it would be travesty if HOF voters deny him access to the elite hall in Canton simply because he wanted to have a child with his wife.  

I look at a man's entire career not a rare circumstance with a banned substance in his bloodstream simply because he forgot to ask medical personnel in INDY if he was allowed to consume something in his body. I suspect voters won't hold this minor blip against Mathis in the long run. 

You were an incredible pass rusher Robert. You will be dearly missed on Sundays. I wish you nothing but happiness & good fortune in the nest phase of your life. 

I am a long supporter of Mathis, and give him the benefit of the doubt as a Colts' fan. 

I just don't foresee a HOF selection committee overlooking that, as many were already questioning the fact he had by far his best season at the age he had it at prior to the suspension.

I purposely tried to avoid this thread because I knew once I watched the tribute it was gonna hit me in the feelings.....I have no words, going to miss seeing #98 out there wreaking havoc!!!!! Dangit..........I gotta go punch something.:wall: