Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What NFL Draftees / Free Agents Should The Colts target?

If I'm the Colts, I'm looking very hard and almost willing to trade our first and maybe a third rounder for Noah Spence. Go all in in him. He's a diamond but had some questionable decisions in his past but oh well. We need a couple rough riders. Robert Mathis will fine tool him into the next Von Miller. Also, I would look at maybe trading a second round pick to the Eagles for Kiko Alonso if its true he's being shopped. Them two in our LB core would look GREAT. That way you can look at replacing the older guys, Freeman and Jackson for more cap. Draft some more DL depth and O-lineman the rest of the way. Maybe got after Alex Mack and find a safety and a corner in free agency to pair with Mike Adams and Vontae Davis and like maybe Eric Weddle on a discount and Prince Amukamara the Colts are in business.

Colts would still gave over $15M in cap with these moves but how do they sound? And who else should the Colts look at?  

I mean obviously sounds like a good move. Those are good players and would help the defense but would the Colts consider them? I say no.

I think Irsay, Grigson, and Pagano are really going to want to use their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks. Especially if we're getting younger. Those are very important picks. Yeah you could trade for a POSSIBLE "diamond" or you could possibly draft two good-great players to help your team with those picks. From past year I'm sure they are a little hesitant about moving their 1st rounder. This years draft is going to be different. It's going to be Irsay, Grigson, and Pagano all giving say. Personally I would trade for Alonso either. He didn't have the best year last year coming off of his injury.

Who knows on draft day though. I think the Colts are in a good spot.

FA's:

Guard: Either Brandon Brooks or Osemele, maybe Boone (3rd on my list)

WR: Riley Cooper. Need Possession depth

LB: Trevathian or Upshaw or Kiko if released

CB: Hayward.... Stay away from Jenkins and Johnson, if Rams don't want them and risk losing both as I have read that might happen, then something is a miss there

Draft: Martin C, Perkins RB, Spence OLB, ND LB I forgot his name

If the Rams do not sign them both it is not because something is wrong with them.  It is because they are both good and want money.  The Rams have probably one of the best d-lines and they have to pay for that as well.  So they keep one of those guys and let the other go.  They then draft another and hope he is as good.  Teams do this all the time and the player is not a bust just to good for their current money situation.

What kind of reasoning is Indeee using? Because they get rid of their corners who are always productive that means there's a smoking gun somewhere and that means we should run away!  What facts are you using this decision making on?  The smoking gun is obviously the money bro.

In free agency I look for someone like Casey Hayward or Trumaine Johnson to fill the CB2 role. And if Kelechi Osemele hits the open market, that would be a major score, because he would not only be an impact player at guard but improve the tackle depth in case of injuries. Currently our depth at LT in particular is a big problem.

In the draft, I'd be looking to add edge rushers at some point. Noah Spence potentially in round 1 if he's there. Other guys on the second day possibly too like Kyler Fackrell, Kamalei Correa, Yannick Ngakoue, Leonard Floyd, Shilique Calhoun. It's impossible to know how the draft will break down but I expect at least 1 of our first 3 picks to go to a pass rushing OLB.

Center is a possibility somewhere in rounds 2 - 4. Nick Martin, Ryan Kelly, Graham Glasgow, Isaac Seumalo (pending his medicals this guy is a potential sleeper). I'd be looking at that position closely. 

Players regardless of position that I'm curious about, I think could fit with the Colts, are Darian Thompson, Vernon Butler, Scooby Wright, Will Henry, Keanu Neal, and Karl Joseph.

I agree, I think Hayward and Johnson are the targets for CB2.  I think Upshaw or Irvin are the targets for LB.  Osemele might be too expensive out of the gate although I would't rule it out.  I think Boone could be the guy.  I think we take Kelly or Martin with our No. 2 and they start right away, although Stefan W. is an option if he hits the market at center.   I think Elliot is our pick at 18 if he is there.  I wouldn't rule out trading up or down a few spots at 18 either depending on how free agency and the draft unfolds.  

Everyone keeps talking about Osemele but if for some reason they let him hit the market there are a few times with much more money to spend then us that will out bid us for sure.  Grigson will go for another guy IMO.  I like Brandon Brooks and think that's a guy we should target more.  Or Jeff Allen IMO.

Kentrell Brothers, ILB/OLB, Missouri
Height: 6-1. Weight: 249. Arm: 30.75. Hand: 9.75.
Projected 40 Time: 4.66.
Projected Round (2015): 2-3.

2/13/16: Brothers made a big impact in 2015, recording 152 tackles, 12 for a loss, two interceptions, 2.5 sacks, one forced fumble, three passes batted and a blocked punt. He has real speed to defend the perimeter and could have three-down ability for the NFL. Brothers was solid, but unspectacular, at the Senior Bowl.

8/24/15: Brothers was a quality run-defender for the Tigers in 2014 and was constantly around the ball. He totaled 122 tackles with three forced fumbles, five tackles for a loss, four passes broken up and one sack. With Missouri losing Shane Ray and Markus Golden to the NFL, the program will need Brothers to have a big senior year. As a sophomore, he recorded 70 tackles with three interceptions.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016ILB.php#XjlURYtTjbptZ14q.99

I hope the Colts give this kid a look......

Kelechi Osemele or Jeff Allen. Alex Mack. Sean Smith, Janorris Jenkins, or Trumaine Johnson. Then maybe Bruce Irvin, Tamba Hali, Oliver Vernon, Mo Wilkerson, Malik Jackson, Damon Harrison. In the draft. Noah Spence, Karl Joseph, Vernon Butler, Cody Whitehair (If we don't sign a guard in FA) Then we could get Kiko Alonso for a lot less than a 2nd. Probably a 4th.

This is who I hope for. Draft, FA, trades, everything.

Alex Mack

Jeff Allen

Sean Smith

Kiko Alonso (2017 4th)

Noah Spence

Karl Joseph

Vernon Butler

Jonathan Williams

Bringing in those 8 players would drastically change our defense and offensive line.  Plus give us a good young back to pair with Gore.

I've been looking at Damon "Snacks" Harrison some.  I think we could make use of he and Parry at the same time in rotation.  Also I've been rolling George Iloka around in my head a little bit.  The big 6'4" safety from the Bengals who is a hitter, plus a coverage man.  I know we have Geathers so we may not go that route.  I was thinking maybe we could leave Geathers at the Dime Linebacker and then bring in Iloka too.  His coverage skills are better than Geathers and he's young too. You could maybe even look at putting both of them back there at the same time.  Iloka is athletic enough to play the FS type of cover man as well. To me he's not just strictly a SS box type.  I do realize we need to address the O line and get another corner so maybe I'm reaching here.  Was tossing up some ideas.

Looking at the first round mocks and players in and around the Colts pick, what do all of you think of targeting one of these players? :

DT    Robert Nkemdiche

DE    Kevin Dodd

ILB    Reggie Ragland

OLB  Leonard Floyd

OT    Jack Conklin (ROT)

OT    Taylor Decker (ROT)

I would lean toward one of Nkemdiche, Ragland, or Conklin.  A lot of mocks are saying the Colts get Conklin and I think I'd be good with that.  I do prioritize the OL as being the number one need to upgrade.

Thoughts?

I'd say try to pick up some discount free agents to prop the defense (Hopefully our draft picks in the secondary from last season can take the next step this season) and in the draft go Offensive line in the 1st and 2nd round, In the 3rd go for a defensive player and in the 4th pick up Jonathan Williams (I think he will slide to the 4th round because of his foot injury and not playing all last season)

Free Agent wise I'll be more specific (and these are for the right price) I'm thinking Bruce Irvin or Shea McClellin, Danny Trevathon, Casey Hayward. I don't think we could get all but if we get Trevathon I think we could cut Jackson which would get us younger in the ILB position and Shea Mcclellan may be cheap since this last year he was moved from OLB to ILB and his numbers regressed so we could move him back to OLB which would give us some youth at the OLB position. Then there's Hayward who was playing mostly slot corner at green bay and may be persuaded to come to the colts if he has the opportunity to play the CB2 position, He is also a younger guy so give him a 3 year deal with decent money and say if you excel within those three years we'll give you a bigger deal.