Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns hire Colts Pro Scouting Coordinator Andrew Berry

RockThatBlue

Good for him. He's a brainy guy, went to Harvard and got two degrees in math and economics. Seems like a good fit for the Browns more analytical front office.

I assume the Colts will be replacing him. He's a Polian holdover, but was promoted by the new staff in 2012. They might be promoting Jon Shaw to take his place.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I really don't think the Browns statistical approach to the football has any place in the NFL but good Luck to Berry.

I think it has its place in areas like spotting tendencies based on down and distance for O and D, examining 5 year trends in the NFL w.r.t what works for keeping players healthy with limited practices, what kind of OL translate well to the NFL from college etc.

It's not truly meant to replace Xs and Os everywhere, IMO.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I really don't think the Browns statistical approach to the football has any place in the NFL but good Luck to Berry.

Statistical approaches are used by every team. Why do you think height and weight are such huge concern, down to a couple inches? Because statistics show which body types maximize success for a given role.

Of course any statistician worth their salt will tell you that the numbers alone are meaningless without context, and correlation does not necessarily imply causation. Being more measured means simply that, if you're stuck between two guys you like, take the emotions out of it and just look at what's measured. Take the one with the bigger stats. 

23 hours ago, chad72 said:

I think it has its place in areas like spotting tendencies based on down and distance for O and D, examining 5 year trends in the NFL w.r.t what works for keeping players healthy with limited practices, what kind of OL translate well to the NFL from college etc.

It's not truly meant to replace Xs and Os everywhere, IMO.

And I don't think that's the Browns' intention.