Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Was this draft the beginning of many defense heavy drafts?

MrNLM

Yeah, we took a WR in the 1st round... so what?

When the Colts drafted Luck they knew one thing was certain... he had to have a talented cast around him to grow with. I feel like we have done that very well through the draft... not so much in FA. Now that Luck and his talented cast of weapons are due for a big payday the Colts will pay who can be paid and continue on doing what they do.

What if, the Colts have a similar mentality going into next years draft because the offensive side will be taken care of long term? What if our defense right now can shine as it is KNOWING that for the next four years it is only going to get better!? The trenches will be deep. The playmakers will be everywhere. The defense could be the very reason that Luck is able to annihilate the NFL and its records in his best years.

We may bicker about passing on defense in the first round this year but, the future is looking brighter than ever on the defensive side of the ball and its only going to get brighter!!!

*drops mic*

Indy still needs their RT and RB of the future. Other than that, they are set on offense.

Next year's first rounder should be an OT or some defensive player. The Colts are starting to get future starters for certain positions.

But I think in general we still lack play makers on D, because we have plenty on offense.

Indy still needs their RT and RB of the future. Other than that, they are set on offense.

It is possible Colts have a RT if one would just stay healthy.  And we have Demarco Cox and Goode in development,  no telling how they will turn out yet.  As for RB, I think we may have drafted out future RB..but just like all the draftees and free-agents, we have to wait and see how they fit.  For now, all we can do is wait until week 3-4 to make judgments on what we are now lacking.

As for Future drafts, One never knows what is needed the next year.  We may need Corners, or a QB, or a kicker.  Never know because things from one year to another can turn out so differently.  It is possible the two DL's we got turn into pro bowlers next year, but one of our stars fades to nothing. Or someone (god forbid) get's seriously hurt.

Take off seasons 1 year at a time bud. ^^

With Grigson, nothing would surprise me. He has conviction in his board and is disciplined enough to stick with it regardless of public criticism. So, you never know what he may do. No one was expecting the Colts to draft Mewhort last year and that pick solidified the left side of the O-line. Maybe the Dorsett pick has solidified our receiving corps for years to come.

Next year is so far away that perceptions could be entirely different by then.

I think Grigson has done a great job of building this team. I think he focused entirely on offense and building a young offense for Luck to build chemistry with (2012 draft) while bringing in cheap decent options at D with lots of depth. Now that I believe we've solidified the Offense for the next 3-5 years; I think now he'll be focusing on making this D younger and better. We did have one of the oldest D's last year in terms of average age. But some solid players all over. I think now we can expect young guys that can turn into stars for our D. And as we do that, continue to build depth at the rest of the positions