Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mid tiers WR

With all these mid tiers WRs being released why is everyone hooked on signing just about everyone ?

I rather resign Nicks he may not be the big factor last year but i'll assume he's only getting better playing with luck one more year 

he played well in Giants and been a bit disappointing here in Colts but I dont see anyone of these players coming in and making a bigger impact the first year.

I looked at some of the stats for WR that people are mentioning and I can't really see they coming in and making a big impact

Hakeem Nicks, 27: Rec 39  Yards 405 Avg 10,7  TD 4

Brian Hartline, 28: Rec 39  Yards 474 Avg 12.2 TD 2

Harry Douglas, 30: Rec 51 Yards 556 Avg 10.9 TD 2 

Eddie Royal, 28: Rec 62 Yards 778 Avg 12.5 TD 7 

Cecil Shorts, 27: Rec 53 Yards 557 Avg 10.5 TD 1

IMO keep Nicks and draft a WR later in the draft..

Thoughts ?

Sorry for any misspelling English is my second languange

Yeah. Grigs may re-sign Nicks. We are all just fans and it's the off season, so we are trying to get excited about something. I think it all comes down to if Reggie Wayne retires or not or what Grigson and Pagano see in him for next season. But we should be looking into another WR either way, Reggie's on the down hill, fast.

Yeah. Grigs may re-sign Nicks. We are all just fans and it's the off season, so we are trying to get excited about something. I think it all comes down to if Reggie Wayne retires or not or what Grigson and Pagano see in him for next season. But we should be looking into another WR either way, Reggie's on the down hill, fast.

Yeah these Wr's are not to replace Hilton or moncrief, if Reggie retires its not that big of an impact from last year when he was injured, we signed Carter and may draft a WR so we got the debt its not like we looking for a #1

Brandon Marshall or bust baby!!! No, I'm playing, but I really do hope we can get Marshall. I still think they may end up releasing him, so that would be the best scenario, but if not we should definitely take a look at a possible trade. The only thing is the 10 million cap hit. Wonder if we could rework it a little bit and maybe lower it somewhat? Especially considering all the holes we have to fill on D. I just cant get over thinking about Marshall, Hilton, Moncrief, and Carter with Andrew freaking Luck throwing them the ball.

Brandon Marshall or bust baby!!! No, I'm playing, but I really do hope we can get Marshall. I still think they may end up releasing him, so that would be the best scenario, but if not we should definitely take a look at a possible trade. The only thing is the 10 million cap hit. Wonder if we could rework it a little bit and maybe lower it somewhat? Especially considering all the holes we have to fill on D. I just cant get over thinking about Marshall, Hilton, Moncrief, and Carter with Andrew freaking Luck throwing them the ball.

I want Brandon Marshall to be a Colt, too. I don't think we do a trade, not with that cap hit, but I do think he will be released.

With all these mid tiers WRs being released why is everyone hooked on signing just about everyone ?

I rather resign Nicks he may not be the big factor last year but i'll assume he's only getting better playing with luck one more year 

he played well in Giants and been a bit disappointing here in Colts but I dont see anyone of these players coming in and making a bigger impact the first year.

I looked at some of the stats for WR that people are mentioning and I can't really see they coming in and making a big impact

Hakeem Nicks, 27: Rec 39  Yards 405 Avg 10,7  TD 4

Brian Hartline, 28: Rec 39  Yards 474 Avg 12.2 TD 2

Harry Douglas, 30: Rec 51 Yards 556 Avg 10.9 TD 2 

Eddie Royal, 28: Rec 62 Yards 778 Avg 12.5 TD 7 

Cecil Shorts, 27: Rec 53 Yards 557 Avg 10.5 TD 1

IMO keep Nicks and draft a WR later in the draft..

Thoughts ?

Sorry for any misspelling English is my second languange

I'd prefer Eddie Royal.  

We need a possession receiver and Nicks really doesn't fit that bill.  

I'd prefer Eddie Royal.  

We need a possession receiver and Nicks really doesn't fit that bill.  

I think we need someone who can play on the outside. I do like Royal too mainly because he would solve the PR issues but he is a slot guy.

I like Shorts as long as there isn't a huge market for him. Hartline has quietly been a pretty good receiver in this league not sure about his injury at the end of the season last year. I am kind of interested in Denarius Moore as well.

Either way we have to sign a  vet WR whether that is one of our own guys or another FA.

If it is a FA I hope it is someone with some upside this time not another guy trying get his career back together.

I wouldn't mind Royal, Douglas, or Shorts coming in for a couple years. 

We wouldn't have to get him for $10M a year. That's only if we trade for him but if the Bears release him, we can sign him to any contract. I'd say he's worth $7-8M a year due to his age.

Well he still under contract, if we could get him for 6-7 that would be fine because he is a upgrade over nicks and I think he would be better instantly but I dont see any of these other receivers coming in and outperform Nicks in their first season

I think we need someone who can play on the outside. I do like Royal too mainly because he would solve the PR issues but he is a slot guy.

I like Shorts as long as there isn't a huge market for him. Hartline has quietly been a pretty good receiver in this league not sure about his injury at the end of the season last year. I am kind of interested in Denarius Moore as well.

Either way we have to sign a  vet WR whether that is one of our own guys or another FA.

If it is a FA I hope it is someone with some upside this time not another guy trying get his career back together.

Well someone trying to put his career back together by definition has "upside".  But I think what you mean is someone who's stable and a known quantity.  

That's what I like about Eddie Royal.  He's never been super explosive or anything but he's been a solid receiver for a number of years and hasn't seen huge changes in production like Nicks has.

Well someone trying to put his career back together by definition has "upside".  But I think what you mean is someone who's stable and a known quantity.  

That's what I like about Eddie Royal.  He's never been super explosive or anything but he's been a solid receiver for a number of years and hasn't seen huge changes in production like Nicks has.

That is exactly what I was trying to say thank you. I am tired of hoping DHB suddenly learns to catch the ball or Nicks suddenly finds his game again.

Bring in someone that we know is going to get the job done.

Well he still under contract, if we could get him for 6-7 that would be fine because he is a upgrade over nicks and I think he would be better instantly but I dont see any of these other receivers coming in and outperform Nicks in their first season

Marshall would be ~$8 mill per year for last 3 yrs of contract if we traded for him and assuming Bears responsible for signing bonus.

If we somehow knew Nicks would perform consistently at a high level like he did for a couple games this past season I would agree about bringing Nicks back ... I just don't know if he can play at that level all year; and if he can't I would rather have one of the reliable hands chain movers that I listed.

Marshall would be ~$8 mill per year for last 3 yrs of contract if we traded for him and assuming Bears responsible for signing bonus.

If we somehow knew Nicks would perform consistently at a high level like he did for a couple games this past season I would agree about bringing Nicks back ... I just don't know if he can play at that level all year; and if he can't I would rather have one of the reliable hands chain movers that I listed.

none of them you listed has performed well in a Colts uniform yet, If reggie retires Nicks will get more catches and I think he could be a threat as #3

none of them you listed has performed well in a Colts uniform yet, If reggie retires Nicks will get more catches and I think he could be a threat as #3

You are right,  but they performed for their previous teams where as Nicks was basically on a prove it deal and I don't know if he proved enough.  Even if we brought Nicks back I might still consider bringing in a cheap mid level chain mover type guy. 

You are right,  but they performed for their previous teams where as Nicks was basically on a prove it deal and I don't know if he proved enough.  Even if we brought Nicks back I might still consider bringing in a cheap mid level chain mover type guy. 

Nicks played as a what #3-4 here with Reggie healthy, then its going to be hard to get 1000 yards, include that we got 2 very good pass catching TE's I just don't see any mid tier #3 or #4 coming in doing any better, in fact having to learn the playbook first.

Nicks played as a what #3-4 here with Reggie healthy, then its going to be hard to get 1000 yards, include that we got 2 very good pass catching TE's I just don't see any mid tier #3 or #4 coming in doing any better, in fact having to learn the playbook first.

I am not basing it just on yards, some games even when he got in he didn't get any separation and he dropped/missed some balls he should have caught. 

Those other guys can come in play the slot and move the chains, and have enough experience I don't think they will have any trouble getting up to speed with the playbook with a full off season and training camp. 

Don't get me wrong if they think Nicks can come back and take another step toward what he used to be I would love to have him, although it would be on another "prove it" deal.

I am not basing it just on yards, some games even when he got in he didn't get any separation and he dropped/missed some balls he should have caught. 

Those other guys can come in play the slot and move the chains, and have enough experience I don't think they will have any trouble getting up to speed with the playbook with a full off season and training camp. 

Don't get me wrong if they think Nicks can come back and take another step toward what he used to be I would love to have him, although it would be on another "prove it" deal.

Well you just don't know that...  Nicks has experience as well... i'm not against going for good receiver in FA

but some people on here think we can get about anybody and hell be a star, people though the same thing before Knicks was here.

If price were not the issue,  I think Marshall would be most everyone's first choice.

So, I guess it depends on how much he wants?

Nicks would be OK if we were getting the Nicks we got down the stretch and not the Nicks we got for the first 3/4 of the season.

I don't know if he wasn't in shape or what his issue was?    But there was a clear problem with him.

If he comes back,  it's on a reduced number...    He made nearly $4M last year....   this year would be closer to $2.5 M with another $1M in make-able incentives...

And I'd insist on a weight clause!    :thmup:

I want Brandon Marshall to be a Colt, too. I don't think we do a trade, not with that cap hit, but I do think he will be released.

I'd give up a 4th rounder for him. He's 31 and coming off of an injured year with some pretty below average numbers that he was putting up.