Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Gruden told he will return next season

RockThatBlue

Power to the coaches is starting to return. If Trestman keeps his job in Chicago, it'll show that the league is going in a diff. direction with how it handles QBs. Good for the Redskins. No all they need to do is get the circus act that is RGIII out of there and they'll be able to start rebuilding.

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think the Redskins are really done with Griffin yet, so if they plan to keep both coach and player then things are going to be insane next season.

I don't think so either. They have the option to not pick up a 5th year option on Griffin's rookie contract but would probably want to give one last shot to find out if Gruden can co-exist with Griffin. Griffin will have an offseason to think about this all and figure out if he is willing to put in the time to making plays from the pocket or continue to be a 1-read option QB and bury his NFL chances with it. I don't think RG3 can hit a lower point than what he has hit so far (benched for a 3rd stringer, punting to himself etc.) and we will find out if he is mentally strong enough to overcome it and change things up with his game without worrying about his "brand". If he is willing to change, Gruden will be willing to give him all the help he needs, I feel.

Deep down, I do think they need one more offseason and year together. They just need to keep things low profile and do all the talk on/about the field.

I don't think so either. They have the option to not pick up a 5th year option on Griffin's rookie contract but would probably want to give one last shot to find out if Gruden can co-exist with Griffin. Griffin will have an offseason to think about this all and figure out if he is willing to put in the time to making plays from the pocket or continue to be a 1-read option QB and bury his NFL chances with it. I don't think RG3 can hit a lower point than what he has hit so far (benched for a 3rd stringer, punting to himself etc.) and we will find out if he is mentally strong enough to overcome it and change things up with his game without worrying about his "brand". If he is willing to change, Gruden will be willing to give him all the help he needs, I feel.

Deep down, I do think they need one more offseason and year together. They just need to keep things low profile and do all the talk on/about the field.

Agree completely. As long as there are no more public callouts and the player is willing and able to do what his coach asks of him, they should be alright. They're picking high this year so they will be able to address things to make the team better as well.

Very interesting.. maybe they trade rg not free.

RG's trade value is virtually nil right now. It's going to be pretty hard to peddle a fragile running QB who hasn't shown that he can play from the pocket. If the 'Skins can pull a rabbit out of the hat and somehow land Mariota in the draft I think they just take their lumps and cut him. If not, they may try to coach him up and get some value for him after next season.