Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bellichick on A Football Life for 2001 Super Bowl: Adam was our best player

bap1331

Adam was clutch..and perhaps probably the only pro bowl caliber player they had at the time but he wasn't the best by a long shot. I think his excellence gave the team great confidence to win at the end of games....and while no one on that team was yet a household name plenty on that defense were already starting to play at an extremely high level....and Brady....well he was always as cool as a cucumber....even though he wasn't polished or nearly as skilled yet he was unafraid of the moment and trusted his teammates if he did his job they would too and played wonderfully through that season.

Ty Law was the best player on that team along with Bruschi and Troy Brown.

Ty Law laying down the Law. I swear when he retired QB's around breathed a collective sign of relief.

I'm surprised he got bounced around so much after his time in NE. He went to the Jets, Chiefs, Broncos and somewhere else I think.

And Richard Seymour too....   I believe he was on that team.

Not sure if Wilfork was yet...   he may have been a year or so away....

Seymour was but he was a rookie. Vrable was the guy bringing the pressure along with McGinest. So many solid football players all around but I would still say it was Ty Law then Bruschi then Brown as MVPs of that 2001 team.

Wilfork came in 2004.

That front 7 made play after play, IMO, and the secondary benefited and played in unison as well. That was when they actually allowed contact from DBs. :)

It is amazing to think that the only HoF player from that championship run will be Brady. I really hope Adam gets in as well but he is a kicker. Not one other player yet all of them were just solid guys that played so well together. I think it is the biggest reason why Bill is the greatest coach of all time. He just never had the freakish players but always got the right guys who were hard-nosed and played hard for him. They really were a great team to root for back them because there were no big personalities, you just loved the team as it was always someone different contributing every week to the win.

It is amazing to think that the only HoF player from that championship run will be Brady. I really hope Adam gets in as well but he is a kicker. Not one other player yet all of them were just solid guys that played so well together. I think it is the biggest reason why Bill is the greatest coach of all time. He just never had the freakish players but always got the right guys who were hard-nosed and played hard for him. They really were a great team to root for back them because there were no big personalities, you just loved the team as it was always someone different contributing every week to the win.

I am not too sure about your comment about Bill being the greatest coach of all time. There are quite a few who are considered great but it's only opinion on who you think is the greatest.

I am not too sure about your comment about Bill being the greatest coach of all time. There are quite a few who are considered great but it's only opinion on who you think is the greatest.

I put his as the greatest because he has coached IMO during the toughest era of football with the cap/FA. Heis success is also unprecedented.

AV is awesome. A deserving HOF first ballot guy if there ever was one. I think because of AV kids now think about kicking in HS and college as a main goal.. The kicking game (FG's) has never been better in the NFL.

I am not too sure about your comment about AV being a 1st ballot HOFer. There are already more deserving players still waiting to get in. It is hard for a kicker at all to get into the hall. I may be wrong but I think there are only two true kickers in the HOF. Jan Stenerud and Lou Groza. George Blanda was a kicker but only after being a QB.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:lol: :lol:  :lol:lmao lmao :funny:

He's literally admitting they wouldn't have any of those Super Bowls had it not been for the kicker there to kick those field goals.

Oh man that was amazing rotflmao

How is that news? They won all  three by 3 points. Adam was instrumental to every SB win.

I am not too sure about your comment about AV being a 1st ballot HOFer. There are already more deserving players still waiting to get in. It is hard for a kicker at all to get into the hall. I may be wrong but I think there are only two true kickers in the HOF. Jan Stenerud and Lou Groza. George Blanda was a kicker but only after being a QB.

AV is a huge part of 4 SB rings. AV is as good as any kicker ever to play. I would be really surprised if he doesn't get in.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He's literally admitting they wouldn't have any of those Super Bowls had it not been for the kicker there to kick those field goals.

Remember the Baltimore game and AV's 5 FG's?

AV is a huge part of 4 SB rings. AV is as good as any kicker ever to play. I would be really surprised if he doesn't get in.

I never said he wouldn't get in did I? If you would have bothered to read my comment I just stated it was hard for a kicker to get in, that's all. There are only 2 kickers in the HOF at this point besides Blanda. Blanda was a long time QB before becoming a full time kicker. Why do you feel the need to debate the undebatable? What part of 1st ballet is hard to comprehend?

I never said he wouldn't get in did I? If you would have bothered to read my comment I just stated it was hard for a kicker to get in, that's all. There are only 2 kickers in the HOF at this point besides Blanda. Blanda was a long time QB before becoming a full time kicker. Why do you feel the need to debate the undebatable? What part of 1st ballet is hard to comprehend?

You didn't tell me anything a hadn't know for decades so stop pumping yourself up.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1. BB was talking about the '01 team.

2. How is this news again? This all happened 10+ years ago. The two kicks in the Snow Bowl game were among the greatest in the history of the game. 

3. Not sure why you're using the word "admitting"... that would imply previous denial. Vinatieri has always been given high praise and credit from Pats coaches, players, and fans, even after his defection to Indy. 

4. Just an observation but you seem to get surlier and surlier with each New Orleans loss. Such a shame for the Saints too since the nemesis they can never beat (Seattle) looks vulnerable. The one year it looks like they could avoid going to Seattle in January and they're just puking on their own shoes, week after week. Yesterday must have been particularly awful. Was it two Detroit TDs in the last four minutes or something like that? Dang, that must be excruciating. I feel for ya. 

Pumping myself up? Really? It's plain to see you think you know it all so just pass on by.

It's "walk on by" comprehend? I love when someone that can't has a civil conversation gets smart * then gets all butt hurt when it comes back to them.

Many of those players were much more than "solid". Seymour, in particular, was a great player.

Many of those players were much more than "solid". Seymour, in particular, was a great player.

Seymour, Harrison, Law, Bruschi, Brown, Brady, Adam - the core was exceptional but like I said no HoFers other than Brady over an incredible stretch. I think what made those teams so formidable is the fact that there were no weak links. Everyone contributed but yeah for sure some great players in there.

Seymour, Harrison, Law, Bruschi, Brown, Brady, Adam - the core was exceptional but like I said no HoFers other than Brady over an incredible stretch. I think what made those teams so formidable is the fact that there were no weak links. Everyone contributed but yeah for sure some great players in there.

Look at other NFL dynasties and their representation in the Hall.

90s Cowboys? Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Larry Allen, Emmitt Smith, Deion Sanders...

80s 49ers? Montana, Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice...

70s Steelers? Blount, Bradshaw, Mean Joe Greene, Jack Ham, Franco Harris, Jack Lambert, Stallworth, Lynn Swann...

Given the length of time of the Patriots' run, and the comparisons to other multiple SB-winning teams, there are far fewer HOF players coming out of New England for sure. The coach, the QB, and probably the kicker. Moss will probably get in too, but he obviously wasn't around for the three titles. 

Look at other NFL dynasties and their representation in the Hall.

90s Cowboys? Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Larry Allen, Emmitt Smith, Deion Sanders...

80s 49ers? Montana, Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice...

70s Steelers? Blount, Bradshaw, Mean Joe Greene, Jack Ham, Franco Harris, Jack Lambert, Stallworth, Lynn Swann...

Given the length of time of the Patriots' run, and the comparisons to other multiple SB-winning teams, there are far fewer HOF players coming out of New England for sure. The coach, the QB, and probably the kicker. Moss will probably get in too, but he obviously wasn't around for the three titles. 

I don't consider AV HOF. His kickoffs were bad and that's half the kicking game. He made FGs just like most kickers do. You practice at each end of the field pregame from different distances, go to the coach and say like I'm 80% at 50,  90% at 45, (and give which end should that apply). The coach then makes a decision on 4th based on all that data.

The snow bowl kick was definitely the exception and AV said he 'd be lucky to make that 1 out of 10 times. The rest weren't so much clutch as they were well within his percentage range. Except he didn't choke on most.

I don't consider AV HOF. His kickoffs were bad and that's half the kicking game. He made FGs just like most kickers do. You practice at each end of the field pregame from different distances, go to the coach and say like I'm 80% at 50,  90% at 45, (and give which end should that apply). The coach then makes a decision on 4th based on all that data.

The snow bowl kick was definitely the exception and AV said he 'd be lucky to make that 1 out of 10 times. The rest weren't so much clutch as they were well within his percentage range. Except he didn't choke on most.

You can make a case either way with AV. His numbers are very good, probably not in the "great" category, but when you have a half dozen legendary kicks on your resume, does that help? I don't know. 

You can make a case either way with AV. His numbers are very good, probably not in the "great" category, but when you have a half dozen legendary kicks on your resume, does that help? I don't know. 

Both Brady and Manning owe all their rings in part to Adam's kicks. That has to count for something and he also has the longevity.

Both Brady and Manning owe all their rings in part to Adam's kicks. That has to count for something and he also has the longevity.

Sure, but that works the other way too, unless AV can kick 90-yard FGs.  ;)

The Snow Bowl kicks were remarkable and he nailed every "big" kick for the Pats and Colts in those playoff runs for sure. 

AV was 1 for 3 in the Panthers superbowl, but people only remember the last one. Stephen gostkowskis stats are miles better than AV in accuracy and touch backs (before the rule change)... not to mention he's like 15 years younget (and stronger ) than AV

I'd rather have Ghost, especially when you factor in what the Colts are paying AV for what basically amounts to a "lucky penny " type superstition

AV was 1 for 3 in the Panthers superbowl, but people only remember the last one. Stephen gostkowskis stats are miles better than AV in accuracy and touch backs (before the rule change)... not to mention he's like 15 years younget (and stronger ) than AV

I'd rather have Ghost, especially when you factor in what the Colts are paying AV for what basically amounts to a "lucky penny " type superstition

LOL