Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All 32 NFL Coaches Ranked.....

NewColtsFan

It's an ESPN insider story....

This is not -- repeat NOT -- the opinion of any ESPN writer.

30 NFL Insiders were polled and ESPN simply tabulated the votes.

I'm going to cut and paste the poll results.    You'll note that Pagano is 16th and at the top of Tier 3, which is the middle of the 5 possible tiers....

Also...   I'm going to add the write-up on Pagano below the polling numbers...   so keep scrolling down for that....

Complete Head Coach Tiers Ballot

Here is every coach's rank, average score and number of votes in each of the five tiers.

Rank Coach 1 2 3 4 5 Avg

Tier 1

1 Bill Belichick 28 2 0 0 0 1.07

2 Pete Carroll 23 7 0 0 0 1.23

3 Sean Payton 22 7 1 0 0 1.30

4 Andy Reid 12 16 2 0 0 1.67

5 Tom Coughlin 10 18 2 0 0 1.73

6 Mike McCarthy 11 15 4 0 0 1.77

6 Mike Tomlin 9 19 2 0 0 1.77

8 Jim Harbaugh 9 18 3 0 0 1.80

9 John Harbaugh 7 20 3 0 0 1.87

10 John Fox 4 23 3 0 0 1.97

Tier 2

11 Jeff Fisher 6 15 9 0 0 2.10

12 Chip Kelly 5 14 11 0 0 2.20

13 Bruce Arians 4 13 12 1 0 2.33

14 Lovie Smith 1 16 12 1 0 2.43

15 Marvin Lewis 1 14 15 0 0 2.47

Tier 3

16 Chuck Pagano 1 11 17 1 0 2.60

17 Rex Ryan 0 12 15 2 1 2.73

18 Mike Smith 0 8 21 1 0 2.77

19 Gus Bradley 0 7 22 1 0 2.80

20 Ken Whisenhunt 0 8 19 3 0 2.83

20 Mike McCoy 0 6 23 1 0 2.83

22 Marc Trestman 0 7 18 5 0 2.93

23 Ron Rivera 0 4 23 3 0 2.97

24 Mike Zimmer 0 3 16 11 0 3.27

25 Jay Gruden 0 5 9 15 1 3.40

26 Bill O'Brien 0 0 16 14 0 3.47

27 Jim Caldwell 0 3 12 12 3 3.50

Tier 4

28 Doug Marrone 0 2 11 16 1 3.53

29 Joe Philbin 0 1 9 20 0 3.63

30 Jason Garrett 0 0 10 20 0 3.67

31 Mike Pettine 0 2 6 21 1 3.70

32 Dennis Allen 0 1 3 19 7 4.07

And here is the write-up on Pagano....

Tier 3

ind.gif

16. Chuck Pagano, Indianapolis Colts (2.60 average)

Pagano has had just one full season as a head coach after missing much of 2012 during his cancer fight. One voter felt good enough about what he has seen to place Pagano in the top tier. (This voter tied one other voter with nine first-tier votes. The average was 5.1 and the low was two.)

"One of the things I thought about is getting your players to play for you," this voter said. "Even though Bruce Arians was running the show [in 2012], I think his players played for [Pagano]. It was a little personal and emotional, but I felt that was a group of players doing whatever they had to do to play for him. This past year, when Bruce was gone, they wound up winning in the playoffs without having an overly talented team. They played their butts off for their coach more than anyone else. He did a great job of motivating them."

Another line of thinking says the Colts lucked into a franchise quarterback and are benefiting from playing within a weak AFC South featuring zero other franchise QBs. That said, the Colts defeated San Francisco, Seattle, Denver and Kansas City last season. "I think he is a good coach, but some contributing factors make me want to see more against better competition," one executive said.

Marvin Lewis is rated way to high for simply drafting very well each year. But it shows. Every year the Bengals have a super talented roster that they can't do anything with. All that talent on his team and they get stomped out in the first round every year.

Chip Kelly is also too high based on the fact that he inherited a gold mine. And Nick Foles seems like an accident that Kelly didn't even plan for. He really bailed that team out. And don't even get me started on John Fox. What a joke list.

I think Mike Pettine should be #32. The way he has handled his quarterback situation is horrible and he did absolutely nothing to address the receiver problem when he knew Gordon was going to be suspended for an extended period of time.

Pettine is the HC, not the general manager

What a joke of a list.

When is the last time Belichek won a Super Bowl?

His defenses have been horrible since 2007 and post Spygate New England is far different than before. Belichek is supposed to be the defensive guru of the NFL, and yet his defenses have been garbage for years now.

When is the last time Andy Reid won a playoff game?

His poor clock management skills have made him one of the most overrated coaches period.

Who in their right mind takes John Fox seriously? Not even the band wagon Denver fans believe in him last time I checked. Go ask the Panthers fans how they felt when he slowly took apart that one good team they had that lucked into reaching the Super Bowl (and then choked it away when they had the opportunity to win it). Once Manning is gone, no one will be rooting for Denver, let alone sticking up for what an awesome coach the guy is. He did an amazing job in Carolina with a team that managed to put more points on the board in the SB than the greatest offense in history could back in February.

Chip Kelly is insanely overrated. That Eagles team barely lucked into a 10-6 season where their defense was atrocious. I highly doubt they'll get that lucky again.

Marvin Lewis has never won a playoff game. If that guy coached any other team besides the Bengals, he would have been fired many years ago.

If he's lucky.  He has a defensive background, but the Broncos defense was bad last year.

Their D-Line was actually impressive I thought. Sean Phillips, Pot Roast, Miller (when he was healthy) were all pretty good. It's their secondary that was appalling. But offense clearly isn't his forte.

What a joke of a list.

His defenses have been horrible since 2007 and post Spygate New England is far different than before. Belichek is supposed to be the defensive guru of the NFL, and yet his defenses have been garbage for years now.

When is the last time Andy Reid won a playoff game?

His poor clock management skills have made him one of the most overrated coaches period.

Who in their right mind takes John Fox seriously? Not even the band wagon Denver fans believe in him last time I checked. Go ask the Panthers fans how they felt when he slowly took apart that one good team they had that lucked into reaching the Super Bowl (and then choked it away when they had the opportunity to win it). Once Manning is gone, no one will be rooting for Denver, let alone sticking up for what an awesome coach the guy is. He did an amazing job in Carolina with a team that managed to put more points on the board in the SB than the greatest offense in history could back in February.

Chip Kelly is insanely overrated. That Eagles team barely lucked into a 10-6 season where their defense was atrocious. I highly doubt they'll get that lucky again.

Marvin Lewis has never won a playoff game. If that guy coached any other team besides the Bengals, he would have been fired many years ago.

Let me guess.........

The Saints website doesn't have a fan page message board for you to hang out on?     Or you've been banned there?

I just can't understand how we're so lucky to get the privilege of your rare genius insights every day?!?     :facepalm:

I respect Lovie Smith, but how in the hades is a man who wasn't even coaching last season in Tier 2? Are they going off his 10-6 record with the Chicago Bears prior to being fired from the Windy City? 

Chip Kelly is in Tier 2 too? Please...I will grant you the Eagles had a great rookie year under his 1st year but let's not get crazy okay.

"Marvin Lewis has never won a playoff game. If that guy coached any other team besides the Bengals, he would have been fired many years ago." Well said Bogie. Well said.

Why is Jim Caldwell not in the 4th Tier at the very bottom? I don't care that he won a SB ring with Baltimore. This ranking is for top HC's not QB coaches. 

Bruce Arians should be much higher based on how quickly he has turned the AZ Cardinals around. I'd switch places there with John Fox actually. 

I like Jeff Fisher but he's not at the top of Tier 2. When was his last SB appearance 1999? No, put him in Tier 3 somewhere. 

Mike McCarthy now there's a HC that rarely ever gets talked about, but I like him even though the Packers aren't my favorite team. Both he & GM Ted Thompson work well together & Mike is to be given some credit for Aaron Rogers QB development. 

What do people think of HC McCarthy? I'm curious...I've never seen any topics on him here as a head coach.

I respect Lovie Smith, but how in the hades is a man who wasn't even coaching last season in Tier 2? Are they going off his 10-6 record with the Chicago Bears prior to being fired from the Windy City?

Chip Kelly is in Tier 2 too? Please...I will grant you the Eagles had a great rookie year under his 1st year but let's not get crazy okay.

"Marvin Lewis has never won a playoff game. If that guy coached any other team besides the Bengals, he would have been fired many years ago." Well said Bogie. Well said.

Why is Jim Caldwell not in the 4th Tier at the very bottom? I don't care that he won a SB ring with Baltimore. This ranking is for top HC's not QB coaches.

Bruce Arians should be much higher based on how quickly he has turned the AZ Cardinals around. I'd switch places there with John Fox actually.

I like Jeff Fisher but he's not at the top of Tier 2. When was his last SB appearance 1999? No, put him in Tier 3 somewhere.

What would your list look like, SW?

I agree somewhat with you about Marvin Lewis and Chip Kelly but I still think they are Tier 2 coaches but below some other coaches.

I think any coach on that list who has coached his team to the Super Bowl should be no lower than in Tier 2, except Caldwell. I think Whisenhunt should be much higher than he is ranked here. He took a perennial loser to the Super Bowl. People have short memories. The Cardinals were always bad; no one ever picked them to make the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl.

I believe Fisher and Lovie Smith are Tier 2 coaches too. Fisher almost won the Super Bowl...the Titan player Kevin Dyson was tackled at the 1 yard line. Had he scored, your opinion of Fisher might be different. I have always liked Fisher and I had hoped that one day he would coach my team.

Now with Lovie Smith, just because he did not coach last year does not mean he is not a good coach. People don't forget how to coach. He beat Sean Payton and a good Saints team to go to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as the QB. Everyone was picking the Saints in that game. Saints had better players. The Bears lost the Super Bowl to a better team. Had they won, Smith would be viewed more highly.

Let me guess.........

The Saints website doesn't have a fan page message board for you to hang out on?     Or you've been banned there?

I just can't understand how we're so lucky to get the privilege of your rare genius insights every day?!?     :facepalm:

There is no rule that prevents Bogie from posting on here.  Fans of all teams are welcome.  He made a post related to the topic in the thread, while you made a post attacking him.  If you're going to criticize, criticize ideas, not people.  And post your comments in a constructive manner.

There is no rule that prevents Bogie from posting on here.  Fans of all teams are welcome.  He made a post related to the topic in the thread, while you made a post attacking him.  If you're going to criticize, criticize ideas, not people.  And post your comments in a constructive manner.

I'm well aware he broke no rule.     I'm well aware he's allowed to post here.

I'm well aware I made a post attacking him.

I'm also well aware the guy is incredibly unpopular around here and it's not clear to me why he continues to post here.

But.......

I'll follow your advice.....   I'll comment on his views and not the individual.

Meh, Boogie deserves it. The guy is seemingly mad at the world.

Meh, Boogie deserves it. The guy is seemingly mad at the world.

No, he doesn't.  He made a post that was relevant to the topic.  No one deserves to be attacked for no reason.  If you see a post that breaks rules, report it.  If you're going to criticize, criticize the post and do so constructively.  Otherwise, follow the rules, respect one another, and report infractions you see rather than making it a public argument.

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

No, he doesn't.  He made a post that was relevant to the topic.  No one deserves to be attacked for no reason.  If you see a post that breaks rules, report it.  If you're going to criticize, criticize the post and do so constructively.  Otherwise, follow the rules, respect one another, and report infractions you see rather than making it a public argument.

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Yes, yes he does

When is Spygate going to stop haunting Belichick? :-)

Good question TPLK. Honestly, never unfortunately. I truly believe fans outside of Boston detest him BB because every year his squad continues to rack up division titles & deep post season runs. If NE slid off the NFL landscape, no haters of Foxboro would care about SG anymore. That's the only way the scandal will die a swift funeral I'm afraid. 

Here's how I look at the SG scandal: The story broke in late 2006 or so & the Patriots still almost won the SB against the Giants in 2007 & 2011 regular seasons respectively. 

The more accurate question is this: If BB is smart enough to reach the SB & win Lombardi trophies without shall we say "competitive advantage techniques," why even attempt it at all? It's not necessary IMO. 

Misinterpretation of the rules or not, BB can reach the promiseland without it. He's proven that. 

Good question TPLK. Honestly, never unfortunately. I truly believe fans outside of Boston detest him BB because every year his squad continues to rack up division titles & deep post season runs. If NE slid off the NFL landscape, no haters of Foxboro would care about SG anymore. That's the only way the scandal will die a swift funeral I'm afraid.

Here's how I look at the SG scandal: The story broke in late 2006 or so & the Patriots still almost won the SB against the Giants in 2007 & 2011 regular seasons respectively.

The more accurate question is this: If BB is smart enough to reach the SB & win Lombardi trophies without shall we say "competitive advantage techniques," why even attempt it at all? It's not necessary IMO.

Misinterpretation of the rules or not, BB can reach the promiseland without it. He's proven that.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, considering BB is number one on this list

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, considering BB is number one on this list

You're probably right Jvan. I missed his smiley face at the end of his post originally the 1st time. Good point. TPLK probably just figures it's best to embrace the SG hate & keep winning football games like a shock jock DJ who is controversial, gets huge ratings anyway, & laughs all the way to the bank like Howard Stern on satellite radio now. 

Yes I know that DJs & HC's are not the same profession but the comparison over generating anger in others through success still works & applies here in the SG example & the grey hoodie actually. 

What would your list look like, SW?

I agree somewhat with you about Marvin Lewis and Chip Kelly but I still think they are Tier 2 coaches but below some other coaches.

I think any coach on that list who has coached his team to the Super Bowl should be no lower than in Tier 2, except Caldwell. I think Whisenhunt should be much higher than he is ranked here. He took a perennial loser to the Super Bowl. People have short memories. The Cardinals were always bad; no one ever picked them to make the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl.

I believe Fisher and Lovie Smith are Tier 2 coaches too. Fisher almost won the Super Bowl...the Titan player Kevin Dyson was tackled at the 1 yard line. Had he scored, your opinion of Fisher might be different. I have always liked Fisher and I had hoped that one day he would coach my team.

Now with Lovie Smith, just because he did not coach last year does not mean he is not a good coach. People don't forget how to coach. He beat Sean Payton and a good Saints team to go to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as the QB. Everyone was picking the Saints in that game. Saints had better players. The Bears lost the Super Bowl to a better team. Had they won, Smith would be viewed more highly.

First of all, most lists of any value are done on a year by year basis based on last season's NFL record. I always wonder sometimes if certain HC's are put in an unwritten rule hidden category like a lifetime achievement award status or most beloved stratosphere like a popular prom king media fan favorite or something. And stop putting HC Jason Garett in any of these lists okay. The dude sucks & the only list he would dominate in the league is the worst coach in football.

I know you never mentioned Jason NFLfan. It just ticks me off how much praise anything Dallas affiliated gets. I care about winning games in the regular season not merchandizing sales or how pretty their cheerleaders are beat writers in Texas. 

Whisenhunt was the OC in San Diego & a good 1 at that, but you gotta look at the condition he left AZ when Bruce Arians got hired. He is in Tier 3 based on getting fired in 1st HC gig & how horrific the Cardinals were when he was let go. Fisher & Smith getting to the SB in 1999 & 2006 is admirable yes, but close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, & nuclear weapons. I don't give out blue ribbon participation accolades just for playing. I'm a tough grader with no curve. LOL! 

And why is Pete Carroll the current SB Champion not at the very top anyway? He should be there despite how quickly he ran from USC to avoid sanctions against his former college employer. 

Let me give it some thought NFLfan. I will rank my HC's later I promise. 

What a joke of a list.

If Sean Payton saw this post he'd disagree with you.

(And quite possibly put a bounty out on you.  ;) )

You're correct in saying the Patriots' defenses have been bad since '07. Probably even a little earlier than that... the '07 team's offense made it pretty easy on the defense, so it's hard to really judge that team. When they needed a stop in the SB, they couldn't get it. But the cracks in the armor started long before then. Remember Troy Brown playing snaps as a slot corner? 

Belichick the coach and Belichick the GM are two distinct guys to me. As a GM, he's had his share of bad drafts, bad free agent signings, etc. From the '08 or '09 season until now, he's been rebuilding that defense. He now has the pieces in place. They should have upwards of six or seven guys starting who were first or second-round picks. Belichick, the coach, has the best talent he's had on defense in years. 

Point being, if the Patriots' defense is terrible again in 2014, then maybe you're right. But let the year run its course. I have a feeling NE is going to be a very, very tough D to play this season. 

It was tongue and cheek.  He's viewed as the best coach in the league by a wide margin. Seattle has been fined like four straight years for breaking the practice rules and you never hear people whining about them. They were just fined 300G for ignoring Goodell and the CBA practice rules once again.

It's an ESPN insider story....

This is not -- repeat NOT -- the opinion of any ESPN writer.

30 NFL Insiders were polled and ESPN simply tabulated the votes.

I'm going to cut and paste the poll results.    You'll note that Pagano is 16th and at the top of Tier 3, which is the middle of the 5 possible tiers....

Complete Head Coach Tiers Ballot

Here is every coach's rank, average score and number of votes in each of the five tiers.

Rank Coach 1 2 3 4 5 Avg

Tier 1

1 Bill Belichick 28 2 0 0 0 1.07

2 Pete Carroll 23 7 0 0 0 1.23

3 Sean Payton 22 7 1 0 0 1.30

4 Andy Reid 12 16 2 0 0 1.67

5 Tom Coughlin 10 18 2 0 0 1.73

6 Mike McCarthy 11 15 4 0 0 1.77

6 Mike Tomlin 9 19 2 0 0 1.77

8 Jim Harbaugh 9 18 3 0 0 1.80

9 John Harbaugh 7 20 3 0 0 1.87

10 John Fox 4 23 3 0 0 1.97

Tier 2

11 Jeff Fisher 6 15 9 0 0 2.10

12 Chip Kelly 5 14 11 0 0 2.20

13 Bruce Arians 4 13 12 1 0 2.33

14 Lovie Smith 1 16 12 1 0 2.43

15 Marvin Lewis 1 14 15 0 0 2.47

Tier 3

16 Chuck Pagano 1 11 17 1 0 2.60

17 Rex Ryan 0 12 15 2 1 2.73

18 Mike Smith 0 8 21 1 0 2.77

19 Gus Bradley 0 7 22 1 0 2.80

20 Ken Whisenhunt 0 8 19 3 0 2.83

20 Mike McCoy 0 6 23 1 0 2.83

22 Marc Trestman 0 7 18 5 0 2.93

23 Ron Rivera 0 4 23 3 0 2.97

24 Mike Zimmer 0 3 16 11 0 3.27

25 Jay Gruden 0 5 9 15 1 3.40

26 Bill O'Brien 0 0 16 14 0 3.47

27 Jim Caldwell 0 3 12 12 3 3.50

Tier 4

28 Doug Marrone 0 2 11 16 1 3.53

29 Joe Philbin 0 1 9 20 0 3.63

30 Jason Garrett 0 0 10 20 0 3.67

31 Mike Pettine 0 2 6 21 1 3.70

32 Dennis Allen 0 1 3 19 7 4.07

Tier 1: According to SW1 anyway...

Pete Carroll

Bill Belichick 

Tom Coughlin

John Harbaugh

Mike McCarthy

Andy Reid

Jim Harbaugh

Bruce Arians

Tier 2: [This is hard because I'm torn between accomplishments & potential & I am fond of defensive minded coaches]

Sean Payton

Mike Tomlin

Chuck Pagano

Ron Rivera

Chip Kelly

Mike McCoy

Tier 3: 

Jeff Fisher

Lovie Smith

John Fox 

Mike Zimmer

Tier 4: 

Ken Whisenhunt

Marvin Lewis

Rex Ryan

Mike Smith

Marc Trestman

Tier 5: [You suck as a HC here IMO]:

Jason Garrett

Joe Philbin

Jim Caldwell

Doug Marrone

Gus Bradley 

Dennis Allen

I left Bill O Brien off this list because I don't know enough about him to rank him yet from his Penn State & Tom Brady tutoring days yet. 

Lovie Smith will rise quickly once he starts coaching again IMO to Tier 2 BTW. Mike McCoy will take Lovie's old spot in Tier 3. 

Jay Gruden is off too because I know nothing about him as a HC coach. Andy Dalton's failures in Ohio don't impress me at all so Jay is an enigma to me. 

First of all, most lists of any value are done on a year by year basis based on last season's NFL record. I always wonder sometimes if certain HC's are put in an unwritten rule hidden category like a lifetime achievement award status or most beloved stratosphere like a popular prom king media fan favorite or something. And stop putting HC Jason Garett in any of these lists okay. The dude sucks & the only list he would dominate in the league is the worst coach in football.

I know you never mentioned Jason NFLfan. It just ticks me off how much praise anything Dallas affiliated gets. I care about winning games in the regular season not merchandizing sales or how pretty their cheerleaders are beat writers in Texas.

Whisenhunt was the OC in San Diego & a good 1 at that, but you gotta look at the condition he left AZ when Bruce Arians got hired. He is in Tier 3 based on getting fired in 1st HC gig & how horrific the Cardinals were when he was let go. Fisher & Smith getting to the SB in 1999 & 2006 is admirable yes, but close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, & nuclear weapons. I don't give out blue ribbon participation accolades just for playing. I'm a tough grader with no curve. LOL!

And why is Pete Carroll the current SB Champion not at the very top anyway? He should be there despite how quickly he ran from USC to avoid sanctions against his former college employer.

Let me give it some thought NFLfan. I will rank my HC's later I promise.

If these lists are based on the previous year's record, then not much thought needs to be given when creating them. Just rank the coaches based on last year's record. So, Coughlin, for example, would be in the middle of the pack.

I know you would agree that win-loss records are influenced by a lot more than coaching (schedule, players, etc). Consideration should be given to the coach's full body of work, not just one or two years or the previous year's record. JMO

If these lists are based on the previous year's record, then not much thought needs to be given when creating them. Just rank the coaches based on last year's record. So, Coughlin, for example, would be in the middle of the pack.

I know you would agree that win-loss records are influenced by a lot more than coaching (schedule, players, etc). Consideration should be given to the coach's full body of work, not just one or two years or the previous year's record. JMO

I get your big picture POV there, but no you can't look at just a full body of a coaches work alone because what happens then if a smart rookie coordinator just got hired as a new franchise's HC? There's nothing to evaluate on the same level as the job they are currently holding? College ball & pro ball are a whole different animal & so is an OC or DC or a Special Team's coach to running the whole show player personnel wise now.

I will admit that the lines between accomplishments & potential do get blurred sometimes when evaluating coaches & that's what makes this list both an art & a science. Basically, if you break it down to it's essential form, you are asking which HC's can keep their message fresh & relevant in the locker room, still win Playoff games, & not tun the players completely off & out to lunch? That & who can still be competitive despite critical injuries. Who do guys run through walls or traffic for?  

The ability to adapt quickly on the sidelines matters too. HC Jim Caldwell was horrific at this in 2009 when INDY went to the SB. The worst I have ever seen actually. 

I will admit that say Tom Coughlin is a tough case because the Giants sucked last season & as much as it pains me to say this because I like Tom & love their GM Jerry Reese, they are gonna stink this year especially if JPP doesn't return to a stud pass rusher again with Justin Tuck gone & in Oakland now. 

I will give you credit for that valid point NFLfan. I just respect Coach Coughlin because he's strict, disciplined, & knows what it takes to win in November & December. He will be fired after this season I think. Major bummer. 

To your point about longterm records, the only reason Coughlin was brought back this year is 2 SB Championships under his tenure in NYC, but if the G-Men miss the playoffs this time around, Tom is gone. I know that so does he.

OC Kevin Gilbride was the scapegoat this year. After that, the musical chairs stop & a whole new NFL regime will be brought in. Eli Manning & the offense is the only 1 who can save Coughlin's job now. 

GM Jerry Reese stays put though even with a new HC on the horizon. Reese is not being let go. I will almost guarantee that. Jerry's too darn valuable to Big Blue in creating darn good o-lines, d-lines, & a killer in your face pass rush. Book it. LOL!  

It was tongue and cheek.  He's viewed as the best coach in the league by a wide margin. Seattle has been fined like four straight years for breaking the practice rules and you never hear people whining about them. They were just fined 300G for ignoring Goodell and the CBA practice rules once again.

Ticking off Roger Goodell is a badge of honor for me. Or it would give me pleasure to ruffle his feathers if I had Paul Allen's money at my disposal TPLK.

Besides, if Pete Carroll's Seahawks are #1 based on winning the SB, SW1 is doing you're team a favor by giving BB a chance to play the disrespect card as motivation for a great Patriots season right. 

haha  You see, there's a method to my madness.

I'm just trying to stoke the flame & get the competitive fires burning hot when the Colts meet your club on the post season collision course this fall man.  lmao

If Sean Payton saw this post he'd disagree with you.

(And quite possibly put a bounty out on you.  ;) )

You're correct in saying the Patriots' defenses have been bad since '07. Probably even a little earlier than that... the '07 team's offense made it pretty easy on the defense, so it's hard to really judge that team. When they needed a stop in the SB, they couldn't get it. But the cracks in the armor started long before then. Remember Troy Brown playing snaps as a slot corner? 

Belichick the coach and Belichick the GM are two distinct guys to me. As a GM, he's had his share of bad drafts, bad free agent signings, etc. From the '08 or '09 season until now, he's been rebuilding that defense. He now has the pieces in place. They should have upwards of six or seven guys starting who were first or second-round picks. Belichick, the coach, has the best talent he's had on defense in years. 

Point being, if the Patriots' defense is terrible again in 2014, then maybe you're right. But let the year run its course. I have a feeling NE is going to be a very, very tough D to play this season. 

I think in the two Super Bowl losses to the Giants,  the Patriots gave up 17 in the first,  and maybe 21 in the 2nd game.

And those defenses were bad because they couldn't get a stop?

Really?