Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stepfan Taylor

I am a huge Vick Ballard fan.

That being said, Taylor makes so much sense. I disagree with NCF when he says he doesn't think he is a number 1 back. He reminds me of Doug Martin. Won't have a great 40, but very quick, powerful, has good hands and seems to enjoy pass protection. When he runs I also see Frank Gore, he has a tendency to disappear in a pile and pop up 5 yards downfield.

I haven't seen it posted on-line yet,  but Stepfan has been voted the outstanding running back of the senior bowl.

That's been posted on my Stanford website.

Props to him.    Hope I'm wrong about him and that he turns into a very good pro...   I'd be very happy for him, he's a great kid.

I am a huge Vick Ballard fan.

That being said, Taylor makes so much sense. I disagree with NCF when he says he doesn't think he is a number 1 back. He reminds me of Doug Martin. Won't have a great 40, but very quick, powerful, has good hands and seems to enjoy pass protection. When he runs I also see Frank Gore, he has a tendency to disappear in a pile and pop up 5 yards downfield.

I too like Vick Ballard....and I think Donald Brown is fine where he is barring more injury setbacks.  Funny thing, I like Delone Carter too.  The man did not fumble in college, and he suddenly gets greasy fingers.....sucks to be him  haha

I like what Taylor brings from a running and pass catching standpoint.  He would not be a bad addition with Pep taking controls along with number 12.  He also would add to Grigson's 'Team Chemistry philosophy!!  Another thing I like is Taylor seems to save his biggest games for his biggest opponents.....see the numbers attached...ND, Oregon, etc.  We may not have a chance...but if he is Grigs' BPA at a certain point....you never know....Taylor, Fleener, Whalen...and Luck.....with a little Pep!!  :)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/482574/stepfan-taylor

Would love to see Taylor here,would be a nice fit,and i to like Carter,I know he had a hand injury,i dont know if this was part of the fumbles,and i like Brown as well but dont think he will ever stay healthy.I doubt that Taylor is around where we would be able to use a pick tho,but who knows stranger things have happened

I just don't see what separates Taylor from Vic Ballard. To me they are the exact same player.

This is the reason I am against that pick. Two players who do the same things, good at navigating

through traffic, but they can't break the big one. We need someone else that has decent power, and the speed to go

the distance. Someone to match up along with Donald Brown

I just don't see what separates Taylor from Vic Ballard. To me they are the exact same player.

This is the reason I am against that pick. Two players who do the same things, good at navigating

through traffic, but they can't break the big one. We need someone else that has decent power, and the speed to go

the distance. Someone to match up along with Donald Brown

They aren't that similar, dude. Taylor is light years ahead in blocking and receiving.

They aren't that similar, dude. Taylor is light years ahead in blocking and receiving.

Oh that's why need to draft him I see! Vic Ballard catches most passes that are thrown his way, he'll have an occasional drop. It's not like he's standing back there getting Luck killed every time he goes to block. Taylor is not light years ahead of Ballard on any level whatsoever.

Taylor would not impact the game much more than Ballard.

Oh that's why need to draft him I see! Vic Ballard catches most passes that are thrown his way, he'll have an occasional drop. It's not like he's standing back there getting Luck killed every time he goes to block. Taylor is not light years ahead of Ballard on any level whatsoever.

Taylor would not impact the game much more than Ballard.

Ignorance is bliss.

Whatever you say, man. Try and watch some tape.

Watching tape of a college player vs. tape of a pro player? If you watch tape of Ballard in college it doesn't take long to see that he is pretty reliable in the passing game. Blocking wasn't bad either. He was useful in the passing game this year as a pro. He did have some drops, but not to the point of being unreliable. I thought his blocking was okay, but players in the NFL are bigger and stronger than college so to me it's a matter of adjustment. I don't think Taylor is worth using one of our draft picks because he can or appears to show that he can block and catch. I think it's a safe bet that Ballard will improve in both areas with a full off season.

Taylor is a quality player, and I'm not dissing him but my opinion is he will impact the game on about the same level as Ballard if drafted next year. If we spend a draft pick this year on a RB, that player should have some foot speed as well as power. Taylor has power, but no foot speed. We need to improve our depth at RB with someone who gives a good mix of both. And I say that because there were multiple times last season that Ballard broke a run open and he was chased down from behind. If that were a back with some speed, those would have been points. Polian was using the same type of logic when he got rid of Edgerrin James. He lost the ability to hit the home run, although he was still a very capable receiver and a very capable blocker.

I think the two are more similar than not.

As the guy who has seen the most of Stepfan, my only concern is not to over-reach for him.

He may be worth more to another team than he is to the Colts.    If someone grabs Taylor before the Colts,  great for the kid.

But, I don't feel the need to spend anything high than a #5 on a running back,  any running back.    We have other more pressing needs.    And if we can get another RB in FA for good value,  then even better.    Not every FA signing needs to be 3-5 years.

We can sign some players for 1-year.    That might be the way to go for another RB who is not going to be a starter.

Every team can always use another RB.   They go down quickly....

Just as NewColtsFan said, If we decide to get a running back using a draft pick I don't think we should spend any more than a 5th. I do believe we could find a small school gem, or an unusual situation in rounds 5 thorugh 7.

For instance:

I found a kid named Washaun Ealey while I was nosing around. He's a small school prospect from Jacksonville State, but the point of interest is that he used to play for the Georgia Bulldogs for 2 seasons and he led them in rushing while he was there. He got himself in some off the field trouble and he ended up transferring to Jacksonville State. His story is almost identical to Janoris Jenkins so there is a red flag with him. He ran for 1000 plus yards this year, has good size at 5'11 215 and runs a 4.4 in the 40. If it were not for his off the field stuff he would receive higher consideration in the draft I believe. He's a small school player but he really has SEC talent. I'm not necessarily saying the Colts should pick him up because I have some questions about the off the field stuff, but as I said earlier I do belive you can find sleepers like this in rounds 5-7.

He broke off some solid runs in this game vs Georgia Tech

http://youtu.be/EBwbZjJG5tg

5 Touchdowns Vs Kentucky

http://youtu.be/tufY0kxrKwU

Let me ask Barry Sanders...

Comparing a hall of famer who got consistent carries to two running backs that dont get that many carries over the stretch of a full season is not exactly fair, None of our Backs will ever be a Barry Sanders they simply dont show the ability to make many guys miss, Ballard has more of jump step and is more shifty then our other Backs no question, Brown for reasons that completely tick me off is more of an impatient straight line runner then anything else, even was in college, does not set up blocks well but he does have the speed to break the big one and is a slightly better pass blocker then Ballard, he also hangs onto the ball, I have a feeling if Ballard improves on those points in the offseason then he will be the starter, but if Brown learns to set up his blockers better and shows a little more patience (Mayock at the '09 Combine Brown was a part of even commented on Brown needs to show more patience to the hole and show the burst through the hole) then look out, they may or may not come with O Linemen that can actually run block