Photo

Do We Have the WORST Defense in the League?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#41 Warhorse

Warhorse
  • 3732 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Seems like a viable topic if we were fighting for the first pick in the draft. With 9 wins and on the verge of making the playoffs, it smells of.....so? Didn't a team just go to the SB worst running offense in the league a few years back?

Since wins and losses are still how they decide seasons, I'll take the D we have and call it adequate.

"Anyone a die harder fan? I will be there believing to the end. Who is with me?" Thread started by Steveeoaktree33 at 2:49 PM of the day the Colts executed the second largest comeback in NFL playoff history. Very few concurred.

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind. Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#42 John Dee

John Dee
  • 6094 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

I don't know about carry them but I do think they have been better for the most part than in recent years most noticeably against the run.  They are still only a middle of the NFL level team at stopping the run but for years the Colts were one of the worst in the league at doing that so being middle of the pack is a major improvement for them. 

We clearly still have major improvements to make to the defense but since we didn't do much with the defense this off-season that shouldn't surprise anyone. With that said the few moves the have made have been really good, Redding has been worth every cent we paid for him.  Davis might not be the best corner in the league but he is by far the best one we have.  Freeman might be the steal of the off-season.  Fokou hasn't gotten a lot of attention this year but he has been very good at being our pass defense linebacker and was well worth Kevin Thomas that we gave up for him.  Even Tevaseu has been a good back up DT brought in in a hard spot.  I also think Vaughn and Butler are good back up corners and were nice finds by Grigson. Now clearly we still have holes to fill, we need a a true 3/4 DT who can start, a number two corner, a true 3/4 OLB to replace Freeney this off-season.  If we can find those players I think our defense could be really really good because I think we have a good core in place for a 3/4 Defense. 

turnovers and points "gained"  off of said TO"s...     hmmmmmmm?

I think this D may qualify for D of the year.  ...    They  really are pretty good.    At crunch time.

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
Aldous Huxley

#43 John Dee

John Dee
  • 6094 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Lets Go....    The TEAM.....................

Aldous Huxley

#44 John Dee

John Dee
  • 6094 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

The "little things" ... 

Bear Bryant.................

http://forums.colts....-in-the-league/

Aldous Huxley

#45 John Dee

John Dee
  • 6094 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

They just don't make em like Bo and Bear any longer....

And that makes me sad.    Discipline and respect are ....     not valued any longer.

Aldous Huxley

#46 ColtsBlueFL

ColtsBlueFL

Off IR but on to the PUP list

• Forum Moderator
  • 3473 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

What's better, the D or the O?  Hmmm....

“There’s no question he’s (Luck) a complete football player and one of the top quarterbacks in this league already. He has a great career in front of him but I think he’s already established himself as a very poised and talented player that can do a lot of things to beat you and he manages his team well and plays good situational football.” -New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick

#47 -JJ-

-JJ-
  • Forum Moderator
  • 2783 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Yeah, that's the point of the discussion.  Nate goes by pure stats.  Pure stats don't tell the story of where you are now, only a compilation of where you've been.  If pure stats told the true story, there would be no Vegas.  

I'm saying that RIGHT NOW we do not have the worst D in the league.  What we did in week 1 or week 10 has no bearing on how we're playing now.  But the stats still say it does.

Feel me?

Oh most defintely.

DVOA is cool for accurate stats as they accrue (not to mention taking in account schedule,2nd WR defense etc) but football is played on the field and from what little I've seen Luck seems to have that magic to lead a team.

But DVOA does give a good measure how you stack up.

Funny NE was a percentage ahead to win SB. Now Denver is on top by 1%.  Colts have actually creeped up to 2.5% to MAKE it to the AFC :)

#48 John Dee

John Dee
  • 6094 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

The TEAM

What's better, the D or the O?  Hmmm....

Aldous Huxley

#49 John Dee

John Dee
  • 6094 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

The D is playing very well?   ?  who?

Oh most defintely.

DVOA is cool for accurate stats as they accrue (not to mention taking in account schedule,2nd WR defense etc) but football is played on the field and from what little I've seen Luck seems to have that magic to lead a team.

But DVOA does give a good measure how you stack up.

Funny NE was a percentage ahead to win SB. Now Denver is on top by 1%.  Colts have actually creeped up to 2.5% to MAKE it to the AFC :)

Aldous Huxley

#50 funktacious2

funktacious2
  • 1798 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

Yeah we can't seem to play a full game on either side of the ball, and we'll probably have the worse D in the playoffs. This season really has been a strange one. I love how far we've come, and the team has certainly gone well beyond my expectations, but I can't help but feel that we've done greater than the sum of our parts. We've had some ugly games, we have some ugly stats, but somehow we've put up 9 wins with 2 games to go. We get it done. Incredible.

#51 Warhorse

Warhorse
  • 3732 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

D gets a pick 6.

"Anyone a die harder fan? I will be there believing to the end. Who is with me?" Thread started by Steveeoaktree33 at 2:49 PM of the day the Colts executed the second largest comeback in NFL playoff history. Very few concurred.

#52 hillbillybob

hillbillybob
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

people want us to take nnamdi asomugha and im right there with you. do you know how awesome it would be to have vontae and nnamdi jeez. just saying also our defensive coordinator has gotzz 2 go!! if we get new players and a new d coord then man O man were going to be the true monster

#53 IndyTrav

IndyTrav
  • 2908 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

The worst? No. Pretty bad? Yea.

Who is the worst Def in the league?

I like to argue. 

#54 RomanianColtsFan

RomanianColtsFan
  • 835 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

That play by Jamal Charles kind of made it look like the worst didn't it?  

#55 azcolt

azcolt
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yeah we can't seem to play a full game on either side of the ball, and we'll probably have the worse D in the playoffs. This season really has been a strange one. I love how far we've come, and the team has certainly gone well beyond my expectations, but I can't help but feel that we've done greater than the sum of our parts. We've had some ugly games, we have some ugly stats, but somehow we've put up 9 wins with 2 games to go. We get it done. Incredible.
You sure about the Colts in the playoffs? We'd better win today and that's anything but a sure deal.

#56 John Waylon

John Waylon
  • 3574 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

We're bad. I'm playing RB for KC today and I already have 137 yards. Gotta go, I got a 17 yarder to rip off.
2012 mayan apocalypse survivor. We will rebuild.

#57 John Waylon

John Waylon
  • 3574 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

I'm up to 287 now. My legs are getting tired.

#58 John Waylon

John Waylon
  • 3574 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

348 yards now. I'm getting a second wind!

#59 Dan

Dan

#bradyquinnforthemaddencover

• 1371 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

348 yards now. I'm getting a second wind!

Must be pretty annoying, having all those "defenders" bump into you and almost making you stumble. You better be careful, they might actually finish a tackle soon! 

#60 John Waylon

John Waylon
  • 3574 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Must be pretty annoying, having all those "defenders" bump into you and almost making you stumble. You better be careful, they might actually finish a tackle soon! 

Nah, I just blow them down like birthday candles.

435 yards now.

I'm gonna have to miss a few plays, my shoes melted off.

#61 John Waylon

John Waylon
  • 3574 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

493. Most of my toes have fallen off and are rattling around in my shoes.49

#62 John Waylon

John Waylon
  • 3574 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

I'm gonna finish the day with 512. My right leg just fell off. It just popped right off like an action figure.

#63 Smonroe

Smonroe
  • 7505 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Well, on second thought... I may owe Nate an apology.

#64 chad72

chad72
  • 9503 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Well, on second thought... I may owe Nate an apology.

Maybe, maybe not. Nate goes by purely numbers.

I go by situational numbers. Force 4 turnovers and if not for that pass interference, we would have had a 5th, IMO. Then we make a key 4th down stop.

We give up yards but tighten up when it matters. Clutch situational play cannot be measured in stats alone, IMO.

#65 Brooklyn Colt

Brooklyn Colt
  • 476 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

We are an average defense..we aren't good but we aren't bad either..sure would help if the offense didnt keep putting them in bad spots or if the offense could consistently maintain drives so the defense could get a breather..

#66 Smonroe

Smonroe
  • 7505 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Maybe, maybe not. Nate goes by purely numbers.

I go by situational numbers. Force 4 turnovers and if not for that pass interference, we would have had a 5th, IMO. Then we make a key 4th down stop.

We give up yards but tighten up when it matters. Clutch situational play cannot be measured in stats alone, IMO.

Oh, I agree. I was joking. A game like this is all Nate needs to support his theory. Our D is not good, but it's good enough.

#67 Smonroe

Smonroe
  • 7505 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I wanted to resurrect this thread.

Unless I'm mistaken, the D has given up only one TD for four weeks in a row. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I want Nate Dunlevy to go to his bag of stats and tell us how bad the D is again.

I've said it before - statistics do NOT tell us about where we're at, only where we've been.

#68 schwamm

schwamm

BRING IT!

• 2154 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

I wanted to resurrect this thread.

Unless I'm mistaken, the D has given up only one TD for four weeks in a row. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I want Nate Dunlevy to go to his bag of stats and tell us how bad the D is again.

I've said it before - statistics do NOT tell us about where we're at, only where we've been.
And consider how often the Colts have made incredible adjustments and shut opponents down in the second half. Houston just got blanked after halftime today. BLANKED.

I am forever grateful for all the great players I've been fortunate enough to watch play the game with horseshoes on their helmets,

and I'm eagerly anticipating the opportunity to see which new Colts become the stars and fan favorites of tomorrow.

#69 Smonroe

Smonroe
  • 7505 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

And consider how often the Colts have made incredible adjustments and shut opponents down in the second half. Houston just got blanked after halftime today. BLANKED.

You mean in the 4th Q. They scored 10 in the third.

#70 schwamm

schwamm

BRING IT!

• 2154 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

You mean in the 4th Q. They scored 10 in the third.

OK. :) Musta been out of it today. Not sure why I was thinking 14-16 was halftime.

I am forever grateful for all the great players I've been fortunate enough to watch play the game with horseshoes on their helmets,

and I'm eagerly anticipating the opportunity to see which new Colts become the stars and fan favorites of tomorrow.

#71 Smonroe

Smonroe
  • 7505 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

OK. :) Musta been out of it today. Not sure why I was thinking 14-16 was halftime.

I'm pretty sure we didn't even have a first down until the fourth quarter. We scored on the KR, then the long pass to TY.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but did we even have a first down in the 3rd Q?

#72 Warhorse

Warhorse
  • 3732 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

I heard that we have not allowed a fourth quarter TD in the last 5 weeks. Worst defense my heiney.

#73 Moose Of Woe

Moose Of Woe
  • 2467 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

Not flat out terrible any more. We've actually got some consistency going. Something I haven't seen since.... ..... ....... the 2006 playoff run. Hopefully this isn't just an anomaly like that was. If it isn't, we're a mediocre at worst D but it's too early to tell. Give it another half season or so. - we need a larger body of work than the past 4-5 games.

On the plus side It's possible the new system finally clicked. I've never felt good about our D - or special teams for that matter. Right now I'm cautiously optimistic about both. Heck, we might even be above average/borderline GOOD.

The O-line still needs lots, and LOTS, of work with the pass blocking for certain.

The run game with both backs and blocking have come a long way. They've been in decline since 06/07 and are finally headed in the right direction.

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      29 Oct
    COLTS449

Anyone who is interested in music check out my friend's band. Their called 4forty9. I'm just trying to help them get their name out there. They have videos on you tube.

View All Updates