Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seattle at Denver (8-18-12)

oldunclemark

Seattle showed a fast and agressive defense in their previous game. Their offense...not so much.

It should be a good test for Manning, and if he does get hit I hope it's not too hard and proves to himself, and everyone else, that he's fine.

Goal Remains the Same

Posted 19 hours ago

By Gray Caldwell

Regardless of how much time Peyton Manning and the first-team offense play on Saturday, the quarterback's goal is to move the chains, get points and win the game.

120816_manning_inside.jpg

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- After seeing just 12 snaps in the club's 31-3, preseason-opening win at Chicago, quarterback Peyton Manningicon-article-link.gif and the first-team offense will get a little more playing time this Saturday.

Head Coach John Fox said that the starters will play to the end of the second quarter against the Seattle Seahawks in the preseason home opener at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

Regardless, the amount of time he's in the game doesn't matter to Manning. His goal remains the same.

"All I know is when we’re in there, we want to do our job and try to move the ball down the field and hopefully get some points," he said. "The goal still is to win the game.”

In last week's preseason opener, Manning completed four of his seven pass attempts for 44 yards, driving the Broncos into the Bears red zone before his final pass was tipped and intercepted.

Even with a full half to work with this Saturday, Manning will still be limited to a set number of drives, making each play that much more important.

"I still think it is a little bit more pressure that you’re only in there for a certain amount of plays and you want them all to go well," Manning said. "You still have that feeling a little bit that you’re in there and you’ve got to have a sense of urgency."

Looking to relieve some of that pressure will be an orange-clad crowd at Sports Authority Field. Though he got a taste of the stadium crowd during the team's Summer Scrimmage, Manning said he's looking forward to his first game in front of the home fans.

"Having played here as an opponent, I know how loud and emotional and passionate the crowd is here in Denver, so it’ll be nice to be on the home side of it," he said. "I know Coach Fox has talked about it all year that we’ve got to play well at home. You’ve got to try to have that home-field advantage, and I know it’s important for the players to play well so the fans can be excited and make it tough on opponents.”

As for the looming question -- how will Manning react to taking his first hit? The quarterback said it's not looming over him.

"That seems to be a hot topic," he said. "I had a lady the other day who said, ‘Everybody just can’t wait to see you get hit.’ Thank you. Off the air she told me she didn’t mean it, and I told her, ‘I’m sure you didn’t.'

This game is NOT on TV....in the midwest..

the NFL Network is carrying the Jets and the Giants live

followed by San Diego and Dallas at 10 p.m.

Not in the mid-west, but I suspect that NFL Network is what it is. I already set my DVR - Colts programmed for 8, Broncos for 11. Can't watch them both at the same time regardless - plus it's preseason - so I'm not particularly concerned about what's live or not (aside from getting more information than I would like to about game two while watching game one).

That's actually one of the reasons that I was delighted that Peyton chose the Broncos. Those 4:00 starts will line up very well with the Colts the vast majority of the time.

His first actual pick he is at fault for.

On another note, he took a shot, and threw a long ball.

Manning with 2 picks. Bad throws or just great defensive plays tonight? I'm just following by nfl.com.

First pass was a deflection at the line. D-Lineman got air for it. The last one was a bad decision on his part. Tried to fit it into a small window.

Not a good start for Peyton. Is he trying too hard or what?

I heard Eric Decker is not on his game this game, neither is Peyton. Peyton needs Demaryius Thomas to get his trust or Mike McCoy needs to adapt to something that works for Peyton. Not sure if there is a go to guy for Peyton in this offense.

Year 1 is going to be a struggle in this new offense, I expect.

Peyton better right the ship. Otherwise, the sharks will be swimming in the water and they will be chanting "Tebow, Tebow, Tebow" :)

The good thing for Peyton, the Broncos' D is doing good (at least till they play the Pats, Texans and Chargers, I guess :)).

2 untimely penalties cost the Broncos precious time that drive where they could have tried for a TD. Had to settle for FG.

Manning looked good on that 2 minute drive, to be honest, like it was familiar territory for him. :)

Tamme has been dropping a lot of passes though he has had a lion's share thrown his way because teams are not worried about him.

2 untimely penalties cost the Broncos precious time that drive where they could have tried for a TD. Had to settle for FG.

Manning looked good on that 2 minute drive, to be honest, like it was familiar territory for him. :)

agreed thats the best Manning has looked all preseason

Thanks for keeping me updated since I can't see the game in Indiana we have the Cowboys and Chargers.

Ya, He looked really good on the 2 minute drive. Just like 2010 but it was just two bad penalties so they settled for a FG.

Overall he looked pretty good just one bad INT. Something we saw today was he has a lot of weapons to choose from and spread the ball out a lot. edit: 2 deep shots i only saw 1, crappy stream

16 of 23 for 177 yards with two picks.

He showed something with the deep shot he took even if it was incomplete. He also took a shot and proved he can take a hit. I think from what I read he looked like Peyton although I think he's struggling to get his timing down with the new team which is to be expected. Once he get's that down I think he's going to do just fine.

Peyton is not himself at this point. I cant put my finger on it but he has lost velocity and his ball is fluttering more then normal. He has time though.

He has always thrown those wobblers. If the wobbler was the one that was intercepted, that is when you know that he didn't mean to throw a wobbler and got intercepted. However, the ones that were intercepted were actually thrown much faster. I think of those wobblers as off speed pitches that make it easy on the wideout to catch because of anticipating where the wideout is.

Thanks for keeping me updated since I can't see the game in Indiana we have the Cowboys and Chargers.

I'm not getting any football :(. My game on NFLN is also the Chargers/Cowboys but it's blacked out; probably because Cowboys are the "local" team (even though I'm in NM) but it's not on locally.

I do have Sports Mix on DirecTV (Ch 205 if anyone is in the same boat as me) and can watch the game in miniature. :)

peyton played pretty good today just the one bad throw where he over threw the reciever for the INT. The tipped one was unlucky and it seemed like he threw the ball with great touch. Decker and Tamme both dropped good passes and his deep ball looked well thrown, Thomas just couldn't get a step on the cb and kinda got cut off from the ball.

I dont think manning has it anymore. two games and held with out a TD and has 3 INTs. definentely not peyton like right there. i honestly still believe he is not 100% like him and the broncos are trying to make it seem like. it could spell disaster for him this season. its just my honest opinion. I watched the first game against the bears, and i saw some of the game tonight and he just doesnt look comftorble and kinda looks like he is straining to throw the ball. just from what i could see that is.

I dont think manning has it anymore. two games and held with out a TD and has 3 INTs. definentely not peyton like right there. i honestly still believe he is not 100% like him and the broncos are trying to make it seem like. it could spell disaster for him this season. its just my honest opinion. I watched the first game against the bears, and i saw some of the game tonight and he just doesnt look comftorble and kinda looks like he is straining to throw the ball. just from what i could see that is.

And with that.. cue the Peyton bashing.. ya know.. In my honest opinion.

The stat lines don't tell the story though. The pick in game one was on Stokley and he admitted it himself. The first pick today was a tipped ball. The second one was all on Peyton and a bad throw. Also his comp % is very good. The incompletions he is having is usually from dropped balls ( tamme) or bad routes (Thomas). Also he had the ball inside the 10 and ran it 3 times. They scored. Peyton must have sawn something if he wanted to run it that many times. The second time in the red zone the 2 penalties weren't on Peyton. Those are two opportunities for TDs, one in which he wanted to run the ball and a 2nd in which two bad penalties put more pressure on him to shoot for the end zone from 15ish yards out instead of having the ball potentially inside the 5 (I think it was at the 8 before the penalty). Can't blame that on Peyton.

His throws look real crisp. The thing is the offense just doesn't look as explosive. It's more balanced, there's a lot of short to intermediate throws, and downhill running. They have 3 or 4 really good backs. It just seems like a much more complete team. Less explosive but more balanced and complete. The defense looks good. 2 plays that stood out was champ bailey stopping t.o. 1 on 1 and TY warren shedding the two blockers to stop the rb for a loss. Ty showed a lot of great stuff which is good since DT was a huge question mark. Typing this on my phone sry for typos.

I saw that guy throw 6 picks in one game, and that was in his peak. He hasn't played in live action for a very long time. Once he kicks the rust off he'll be fine.

Manning has always been kinda screwy. He is far more the gambler than anyone credits him for. That 2nd pick of the game is a perfect example. He tried to put it between 4 defenders and overthrew it. Was it because his arm is ruined? Mental error?

Meh.....we'll see soon enough. Myself, I've predicted it would be week 6-8 before he really starts killin 'em. Let's not forget 08 when he came off that bursa sack ordeal.....he "stumbled" quite profoundly at first.

He just needs to get more time and he'll make those throws again. Admittedly, some of his throws look like he's throwing under water, but then again, he's always had a rather unflattering, limp, flight path.