Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Seattle at Denver (8-18-12)

oldunclemark

I managed to watch some of the game and I thought Peyton looked pretty good. One of the picks was a tipped ball at the line and the other was just a bad decision. He threw a few ducks but they were the typical Peyton ducks that look horrible in flight but were right on target. He was making the throws down the deeper middle part of the field. He had good velocity and accuracy. Still really havnt seem him throw a deep pass but i didnt get the impression from his other throws he couldnt.

The Broncos as a whole actually looked pretty good aside from the turnovers.

16 of 23 for 177 yards with two picks.

Doesnt tell story

VARYING EXCERPTS

1st few are denver post then NFL .com , & cbs Jason La Canfora | NFL Insider

Mile highs and lows at home for Broncos' Manning

It wasn't a grand opening at home — because of two interceptions, a fumble, a dropped ball in the end zone, an untimely unnecessary roughness penalty, tipped passes and sloppy, shoddy, slapdash play.

And all those mistakes happened in the first half.

Yes, somehow, the Broncos led 10-9 at the break.

Peyton Manning finished his two quarters with 16 completions on 23 passes for 177 yards, but he was picked off twice (with no help from his friends) and only drove the Broncos into the end zone once.

Manning was engineering a perfect two-minute offense until the Broncos, who were suffering with chippiness throughout the first half, were backed up 15 yards on a penalty after gaining a first down. Manning moved them again and had tight end Jacob Tamme free and clear at the goal in the closing seconds, but Tamme did a big gulp — and didn't make the reception.

Even though the Broncos had one more chance and one more timeout, coach John Fox made his own error — electing to kick a field goal with six seconds left.

:Woody Paige: Mile highs and lows at home for Broncos' Manning - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...r#ixzz23z1LLH7C

Having just been slammed to the ground by a pair of Seattle Seahawks, new Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning was getting himself back on his feet when he heard the weirdest sound.

Cheers.

The hit everyone seemed to be waiting for had been struck.

With Scruggs and Irvin zeroing in on their quarterback during a 2-minute drill near the end of the half, Manning threw the ball away just as he was getting hit. Manning then drilled the pass to Stokley that gave the Broncos a first down at the Seattle 17.

"Great ball," Stokley said. "Great anticipation. Right when I passed the defender the ball was there, on time. It needs to be quick that play and it was."

2 minute drill

With 2:39 left in the half, the Broncos were down 9-7 with the ball at their 20. Hurry! Hurry! Manning methodically went to work. He completed a quick slant to Demaryius Thomas for 7 yards, a checkdown to Lance Ball for 6 and another quick slant to Thomas for 9.

At the 2-minute warning, the Broncos were up to their 42 yard line. No hurry. There's time.

"For the most part Seattle sank back in some zone coverage and the underneath stuff was there most of the night," Manning said.

After the 2-minute warning, Manning connected with Eric Decker for 19 yards, moving the ball to the Seattle 39. No huddle, up to the line.

"You're trying to put some pressure on the defense - they're having to hurry up their communication and their calls," Manning said. "Obviously, there's more pressure on the offense. There's no time to huddle and breathe. You're staying aggressive."

After the Stokley catch to the 17, Manning would have completed the no-huddle, hurry-up drive for a touchdown, but tight end Jacob Tamme dropped a fastball just as he found an opening a couple yards inside the goal line.

With 6 seconds left, Fox wanted reward. He sent in Matt Prater for a field goal.

:Peyton Manning shows Denver Broncos that he's still pretty good - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...l#ixzz23z3RL9Vo

Seahawks pound Broncos run defense

Seahawks rushed for 228 yards on 44 defense-bruising carries. It is an alarming number for the Broncos, whose defensive depth was tested after an injury-filled week. ( starting DE Hunter had tricepts surgery )

http://blogs.denverp...-defense/14920/

Peyton Manning solid for Broncos despite flat stats - NFL.com

But the statistics don't really tell the story. There were at least two ugly drops by Broncos receivers, including what should have been a touchdown by Jacob Tamme. There was a long touchdown march with nice timing throws, and a vintage Manning two-minute drill. He even chewed out his teammates for some sloppy play, just like old times.

Manning's first interception came on a tipped pass at the line of scrimmage. That was bad luck, although there have been a lot of tipped passes for him in the preseason. His second interception was his worst throw of the night. It was a wobbly mistake that went nowhere near its intended target. That pick came just a few plays after Manning tried to go vertical and overthrew his receiver.

So that's what the discussion point will be this week. Manning hasn't looked that comfortable going down the field yet. Other than that, he sure looks a lot like the old Peyton Manning.

http://www.nfl.com/n...pite-flat-stats

Peyton Manning looking better and better, but still not old self By Jason La Canfora | NFL Insider

What he is, is a very savvy veteran quarterback, capable of brilliance, who will likely get better and healthier and more comfortable as the weeks go on. But to compare the man -- still feeling his way back from over a year away from competitive football, after yet another neck surgery and with the nerves in his throwing arm still regenerating -- to his Hall of Fame form is folly, unfair at this point. It was clear tonight, in his second preseason outing, that so many of his characteristic mannerisms are still there, that he remains a football savant, but his body will not always do exactly what his mind demands.

appeared rusty at times. All of this is to be expected, of course, and if anyone is capable of overcoming these physical hardships and willing himself to greatness, it's Manning. But no one knows exactly how this comeback will play out,

There were plenty of flashes of the old Peyton, especially during a two-minute drill at the end of the first half, when he exhibited precision and sprayed the ball around the field, going 8-for-11 for 87 yards. But he's also clearly still getting on the same page with his new teammates

Given all he has been through, it was an impressive performance, but, nonetheless also served as a reminder of the work that still needs to be done if he is going to recapture his greatness of yore.

"We can build on this," Manning said. "But there were some things we have to improve on, and some things I have to improve on."

Manning finished his half of work 16-for-23 for 177 yards and two interceptions (55.9 rating). In fairness, Jacob Tamme, his former teammate in Indianapolis, dropped an easy touchdown pass on Denver's final offensive play of the half. Eric Decker also had a drop on an otherwise masterful drive in which Manning came out firing, completing five of his first six passes to move 63 yards -- including consecutive gains of 19 and 22 yards -- before questionable penalties and bad drops killed the drive.

It was vintage Manning, in the shotgun, directing traffic, sprinting back up the line to conserve time, utilizing five different receivers on the drive including passes to his old Colts pals, Tamme and Brandon Stokley.

"He definitely looked like himself in the two-minute," said one scout in attendance.

after his first interception. He went heavy no huddle, again largely in the shotgun, running back and forth to the line of scrimmage to bark out instructions and make adjustments as we've seen over all these years.

"We want to play fast and use that to our advantage," Decker said. "That's our goal."

Manning looked good putting the ball right in Dreessen's arms for a 20-yard gain over the middle, and was 4 for 4 for 47 yards on that drive, which ended with a one-yard touchdown run from Willis McGahee. There were also a few times when Manning rolled left and really stepped into his throws, putting some extra oomph into the delivery.

But Manning was also restrained in his approach, not attempting many deep throws.

All but three of Manning's 23 pass attempts came in the shotgun, with play action generally a part of the times he lined up under center. Besides his overall comfort level in the gun, it's also a means to help protect the 36 year old.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19826647/peyton-manning-looking-better-and-better-but-still-not-old-self

MY OPINION

lots of kinks need to be worked out that had shown themselves in training camp with mis route running, timing situations, and dropped balls by same receivers , and anyone who has read my bronco training postings know many an article have said this besides singing Peyton praises

Peyton's early game troubles and then improved play even overcoming penalties to continue drives etc shows he needs more in game situation playing time to readjust to game speed and get some rhythm as training camp just doesnt do that

, and in training camp those drops , route running & timing better be worked out

surprised at Tamme who has dropped as many in camp from what i have read as anyone

Decker who had a drop in Seattle game, has basically been best regarding his hands and route running and timing

If ever get on page Peyton & Thomas can be a force

last time peyton threw 2 picks in a preseason game was 2004. we all know what kind of year he had then

I think the problem is people are reading the stat lines and not watching the game. He has looked good.

I think the problem is people are reading the stat lines and not watching the game. He has looked good.

Not saying at all u r directing your comment at me, just saying i do best i can with what i have available to me and yes highlights

are just that and dont give u the games flow

Game is on @ 11 pm tonight I believe on NFL network,

again same channel 8/22 8 PM, 8/23 1 pm

Know will try & watch but usually fall out by then so DVR u is set

. OF MANNING, INTERCEPTIONS AND SO FORTH:

The numbers say that Peyton Manning is not having a great preseason. He hasn’t thrown a touchdown pass. He’s thrown three interceptions — two of which were deflected passes, yes, but went into the books as pickoffs. And, yes, this is unusual for him. While the Colts traditionally paid little heed to wins and losses in August,

Manning’s numbers were typically of regular-season quality; he hasn’t had a preseason quarterback rating below 88 since 2004 (70.8).

((( ELSWHERE IT WAS SAID REMEMBER WHAT HAAPENED IN 2004 after which was the last time he threw 2 picks, jusst cant seem to find it now )))))

But should this really come as a surprise?

In the excitement over Manning’s arrival, it’s been easy to lose sight of truths that understandably will affect the offense: that Manning had missed an entire season, that he has a mostly new set of receivers and offensive linemen who are learning how to play at his pace — and he at theirs.

In spite of that, Manning has still completed 66.7 percent of his passes so far in the preseason.

He completed 16 of 23 passes Saturday — and two of the seven incompletions were drops by Eric Decker and Jacob Tamme on the final drive before halftime.

http://www.maxdenver...e-observations/

I saw that guy throw 6 picks in one game, and that was in his peak. He hasn't played in live action for a very long time. Once he kicks the rust off he'll be fine.

Manning has always been kinda screwy. He is far more the gambler than anyone credits him for. That 2nd pick of the game is a perfect example. He tried to put it between 4 defenders and overthrew it. Was it because his arm is ruined? Mental error?

Meh.....we'll see soon enough. Myself, I've predicted it would be week 6-8 before he really starts killin 'em. Let's not forget 08 when he came off that bursa sack ordeal.....he "stumbled" quite profoundly at first.

He just needs to get more time and he'll make those throws again. Admittedly, some of his throws look like he's throwing under water, but then again, he's always had a rather unflattering, limp, flight path.

I'be said the same under Broncos training topic

Peyton will be fine, he just needs to shake the rust off and get into a good rhythm, just like in 2008. But I don't think the Broncos are good enough to be a major contender in the AFC right now, which is their only goal. I don't see them being at New England, Baltimore or Pittsburgh level this year.

Peyton will be fine, he just needs to shake the rust off and get into a good rhythm, just like in 2008. But I don't think the Broncos are good enough to be a major contender in the AFC right now, which is their only goal. I don't see them being at New England, Baltimore or Pittsburgh level this year.

Well I guess time will tell it's only the second game of the preseason. :sigh: Who knows where any team will be. The ones you think that should do good by past seasons could stink it up really good this year. New year new teams. JMO of course. Everyone starts at 0 new year.

the picks dont matter.....Its not like Peyton didnt get picked in 2010...

he threw 23 times in the first half...and they let him...which means the arm is OK..

they're running the no-huddle...moving the ball...

....Jacob Tamme dropped a TD or he'd have led them to 2 scores..

He looks good

VERY encouraging....i

He has always thrown those wobblers. If the wobbler was the one that was intercepted, that is when you know that he didn't mean to throw a wobbler and got intercepted. However, the ones that were intercepted were actually thrown much faster. I think of those wobblers as off speed pitches that make it easy on the wideout to catch because of anticipating where the wideout is.

It amazes me how many peope have "assumed" Peyton is not the same because of the "wobbler pass".

Like they never watched him before and just now tuning in.

Not saying at all u r directing your comment at me, just saying i do best i can with what i have available to me and yes highlights

are just that and dont give u the games flow

Game is on @ 11 pm tonight I believe on NFL network,

Know will try & watch but usually fall out by then so DVR u is set

No not directing my comment at anyone. I think its easy to look at the stat line with Mannings 2 int's and think he played horrible.

I completely forgot about that surgery. Was that the year with the slow start then we won 8 games in a row?

Actually Peyton having a somewhat bad pre-season might be a good omen for the regular season, we have all seen that story before.

Only difference, new system and different timing. I dont think he still trusts DT. Once DT and Peyton are on the same page, that is when this offense will take off.

Tamme is not all that, I am glad we let him go, to be honest. :)

No not directing my comment at anyone. I think its easy to look at the stat line with Mannings 2 int's and think he played horrible.

Got to watch it late last night Eastern time and peyton played much better than his stats

What a difference as compared to only the highlights i had seen before

Even on that overthrow to DT, when they replayed it the announcers pointed out how DT was running by the DB then just seemed to put his hand on the DB and slowed instead if running by the DB and be in a better position to maybe get that ball

This has been his problem in training camp , he just doesnt understand to be where peyton expects him to be, hes not a route runner, even trouble just going to pylon in training camp & now practice

U know I think Colts have better receiving core than Denver in a way and love how innovative Colts are now on offense and moving reggie around

Mike McCoy is not innovative head coach, plays to conservatively

Del Rio needs to have that run d fixed which was a priority before the draft & they let bunkly ( sp ) best DT go to the saints, thought they would draft possibly 2 DT's, plenty were there

Broncos need more no huddle offensive drives too, dictate the tempo & u can win, peyton was peyton when he finally ran it

That 2 minute drive

Manning finished the drive 8-of-11, but a couple of penalties and dropped balls in the red zone forced the offense to settle for a field goal

THE DRIVE IN more DETAIL

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21351830/denver-broncos-two-minute-offense-shows-promise-ends?source=pkg

Broncos mounting injuries , those that occurred during the game add to depth problem says Coach Fox

Injury update. An X-ray revealed wide receiver Andre Caldwell did not suffer any broken ribs in his violent collision on the first play of the fourth quarter.

Caldwell moved gingerly in the locker room after the game.

Other Broncos who suffered injuries against Seattle included backup linebackers Nate Irving (ribs) and Mike Mohamed (hamstring) and cornerback Josh Moore (hamstring). The injuries to linebackers are particularly troubling because the team was already playing without Keith Brooking (hamstring) and Danny Trevathan (ankle). Trevathan could return to practice this week.

"I'm concerned with all our depth, really, at this point," coach John Fox said.

:Broncos QB Peyton Manning wants to see fewer turnovers - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21351819/broncos-qb-peyton-manning-wants-see-fewer-turnovers#ixzz245IB429W

ELWAY CALLED THE OFFENSIVE PLAYS ( probably save for that 2 minute no huddle )

abc news AP reporting

In the most anticipated preseason home opener for the Broncos since his boss, John Elway, was the one directing Denver's offense, Manning completed 16 of 23 passes for 177 yards with no TDs.

see page 2 near peytons picture

http://abcnews.go.co...17035906?page=2

snapback.pngSusie Q, on 18 August 2012 - 10:35 PM, said:

Thanks for keeping me updated since I can't see the game in Indiana we have the Cowboys and Chargers.

DOH!....not airing the Broncos in INDIANA, but the Cboys/Chargers instead... :facepalm:

THIS IS EASTERN TIME

Game is on replayed @ 11 pm Sunday night I NFL network,

all preseason games if on local TV or not are eventually replayed many times on nfl network, even yesterdays colts game that i watched on local tv in detroit is on nfl network replayed many times

There was a real difference for the better regarding peyton when watched game than reports or hiughlights I had read before that which were many

ELWAY CALLED THE OFFENSIVE PLAYS ( probably save for that 2 minute no huddle )

abc news AP reporting

In the most anticipated preseason home opener for the Broncos since his boss, John Elway, was the one directing Denver's offense, Manning completed 16 of 23 passes for 177 yards with no TDs.

see page 2 near peytons picture

http://abcnews.go.co...17035906?page=2

that's bizarre

I WAS WRONG &

I make a retraction of that statement & apologize below

when I re-read the paragraph below just now

Here is exact paragraph

---------------------------------------------------------------

I took my obviously to quick a read seeing Elway was the one directing Denver's offense & missed the COMMA after Elway , & pulled a section out without taking into acount the entire paragraphs' meaning

They simply meant That Since Elway ran the offense, this was the most anticipated home opener , NOT that Elway ran it now

MY APOLOGIES & GLAD U QUOTED ME SO I TOOK ANOTHER LOOK

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/mannings-home-debut-loss-seattle-17035906?page=2#.UDK0bd1lR4c

So much yelling...

Us New York City Dwellars , even though now in Michigan , still talk as if in New York out of habit WAY to fast and have to yell to hear over the general traffic horns, & ambulance/police sirens ( LOL )

I just hate when i say something as fact and its wrong so felt need to correct so others know what really went down in the situation , quite unusual for me to do ( at least I sure hope so )

Got to watch it late last night Eastern time and peyton played much better than his stats

What a difference as compared to only the highlights i had seen before

Even on that overthrow to DT, when they replayed it the announcers pointed out how DT was running by the DB then just seemed to put his hand on the DB and slowed instead if running by the DB and be in a better position to maybe get that ball

This has been his problem in training camp , he just doesnt understand to be where peyton expects him to be, hes not a route runner, even trouble just going to pylon in training camp & now practice

U know I think Colts have better receiving core than Denver in a way and love how innovative Colts are now on offense and moving reggie around

Mike McCoy is not innovative head coach, plays to conservatively

Del Rio needs to have that run d fixed which was a priority before the draft & they let bunkly ( sp ) best DT go to the saints, thought they would draft possibly 2 DT's, plenty were there

I got to watch most of the first half and I have to agree with you almost completely. I thought Peyton looked good while others need improvement. I'll give McCoy the benefit of the doubt this being preseason and all, but run D is a big problem.

I got to watch most of the first half and I have to agree with you almost completely. I thought Peyton looked good while others need improvement. I'll give McCoy the benefit of the doubt this being preseason and all, but run D is a big problem.

I should have mentioned the McCoy line was taken from a comment by some fans to another article and they insisted his best years are behind him, in Carolina

& the run D was draft priority but l , love Wolfe but why let Brunkley ( spelling go ) he was there best interior man , tackiling appears an issue, Dont want peyton to not be on field like run d of colts did to him and with new offense now

Not sure of all names and spelling, remember I am Colt fan first BUT GO PEYTON & GET A RING OR 2 AGAIN untill u retire and then Luck can get them

I should have mentioned the McCoy line was taken from a comment by some fans to another article and they insisted his best years are behind him, in Carolina

& the run D was draft priority but l , love Wolfe but why let Brunkley ( spelling go ) he was there best interior man , tackiling appears an issue, Dont want peyton to not be on field like run d of colts did to him and with new offense now

Not sure of all names and spelling, remember I am Colt fan first BUT GO PEYTON & GET A RING OR 2 AGAIN untill u retire and then Luck can get them

Yeah, I'm really psyched about Wolfe. He is relentless. I just hope we don't let Peyton down, you know. I think the whole team feels responsible to win it now. But I'm also realistic. It's not going to come together so quickly. We all need to be a little patient.

Yeah, I'm really psyched about Wolfe. He is relentless. I just hope we don't let Peyton down, you know. I think the whole team feels responsible to win it now. But I'm also realistic. It's not going to come together so quickly. We all need to be a little patient.

I have such mixed feelings, 1 I would love a SB NOW

But cant see it

Then if get into playoffs that was a problem with Colts kept drafting low

Would love to package some picks and get fewer but quality next year

sooner or later need new CB when Champ retires or slows, Power RB another as getting old there , DT again , and safyty / lb stud

& if do well Del Rio & McCoy will get head coaching jobs, I mean this team has coach turnover especially the D