Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Angerer Speaks

HtownColt

Pat Angerer says he wants wins and not really concerned about the individual alcolades.

"I'm still going to try to make tackles, but I want to win. I don't really care if I have any tackles as long as we keep winning and playing hard," Angerer said.

Angerer on Kavell Connor:

"Kavell (Conner) is a good guy, and I always love playing next to him. I'm glad that he's healthy. That dude can hit. He smoked me yesterday, did you guys see that? Oh man, I've never been hit like that before in my life," Angerer said following Tuesday morning's walk-through.

Angerer on Hughes:

"He's just an unbelievable athlete. That guy can do just about anything," Angerer said of Hughes. "Watching him in linebacker drills, we've been doing those for years and he just started doing it, and he was better than all of us at it. I mean that guy is just a freak. It'll be exciting to see what he ends up doing."

I really can't want wait to see how Jerry Hughes plays in this Rams game at OLB. Sounds like he can do it all in the back up Robert Mathis role

I'm guessing Hughes will be given more opportunities this year. The coaches want to see if he can replace Freeney, so I'm thinking when we play 3-4, it'll be Hughes at ROLB more often then Dwight. On Nickel and Dime downs, Freeney will probably get more pass rush opps. Either way, I hope Hughes makes Freeney expendable next year. No more $20 million contracts for someone to play on 3rd and long.

I'm guessing Hughes will be given more opportunities this year. The coaches want to see if he can replace Freeney, so I'm thinking when we play 3-4, it'll be Hughes at ROLB more often then Dwight. On Nickel and Dime downs, Freeney will probably get more pass rush opps. Either way, I hope Hughes makes Freeney expendable next year. No more $20 million contracts for someone to play on 3rd and long.

Yes I hope Hughes pannes out aswell but if Freeney does well this year with the switch, I would hate to see him go next year. We need to sign him to something close to what we gave Mathis this year cause if we let him go and say hughes get hurt next year then what? If hughes works out bring Freeney and keep the depth

I watched a few tapes on Hughes and I noticed he looked like a completely different player when standing up. I can wait to see what he does. After what happened to Ijalalna (sp?) and the lack of confidence that people may have about Anthony Constanza....we really need players like Hughes to work out. We got a Top QB for dirt cheap thanx to the new rules, and we already have lots of money to spend next year...our down time if we have any if guys like Allen and Fleener, and Avery,Brazil REdding, Zibikowski and Luck all work out...which would be a small miracle...out team could be real contenders in the next few years.

If they do, I mean, We draft a CB hear, Get a FA olineman there, Develop a FA over Mier (cartmans voice) and we are a solid solid team.

I watched a few tapes on Hughes and I noticed he looked like a completely different player when standing up. I can wait to see what he does. After what happened to Ijalalna (sp?) and the lack of confidence that people may have about Anthony Constanza....we really need players like Hughes to work out. We got a Top QB for dirt cheap thanx to the new rules, and we already have lots of money to spend next year...our down time if we have any if guys like Allen and Fleener, and Avery,Brazil REdding, Zibikowski and Luck all work out...which would be a small miracle...out team could be real contenders in the next few years.

If they do, I mean, We draft a CB hear, Get a FA olineman there, Develop a FA over Mier (cartmans voice) and we are a solid solid team.

Not sure what the correlation is between 2 O-lineman and needing a OLB like Hughes to work out is? Unless you're referring to guys we would draft. In any case, Grigson hasn't had a problem making trades on signing FA, so it's not like we are dependent on the draft to find our players.

It would also be nice to hear Angerer speak to the fans at camp and maybe sign a few autographs. I've seen him stop once and that was only to the VIP section. You'd think his stuff doesn't stink the way he ignores the fans.

Well, some of the guys have a lot of pent up anger. He's must be even Angerer.

(ugh, that was bad...)

I doubt that, unless Freeney is injured. That said, I would like to see Hughes wind up the replacement to Freeney. Simple economics, allow Fugger to be the 3rd OLB, bring in a young fourth later in the draft, and get some use out of Hughes while he is still cheap. The guy is an athlete, so hopefully he works out somewhere.

As for 20 million for 3rd and long... I dunno what games you're watching, but Freeney typically got 70-80% of the snaps. Even if there was an even number 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down plays, 70-80% > 33%, by a lot. Freeney is paid that much because he had that kind of a contribution to our team.

All that said, I'd like to see Hughes work out, just so we can get some youth at the LB position. Otherwise, we'll be looking at finding a replacement for both in 3-4 years most likely. If we can develop Hughes, we'd simply need to find an eventual replacement for Mathis when he is done. Perhaps that could be Fugger. In any case, we have enough problems elsewhere that we need some of our players to work long term. And if Hughes allows them to let Freeney walk, that is more money to spread to Corner, OT, etc.

we actually have the perfect situation with freeney. he has a one year audition in this new defense. if he shines, we gladly pay him. if he fails we gladly let him become a free agent

It likely isn't that easy. Freeney might still be able to command a 10+ million a year deal somewhere. If that is the case, negotiations may dictate that we have better value with Hughes (should he pan out). Which also leave money to later re-sign Hughes (again, should he pan out). It all depends there. But if he shines, there is a definite possibility he is re-signed. I just hope Hughes shines also, and gives them another option.

we actually have the perfect situation with freeney. he has a one year audition in this new defense. if he shines, we gladly pay him. if he fails we gladly let him become a free agent

I don't think that I would describe paying a guy 14 million dollars for a "one year audition in this new defense" as the perfect situation. While I'd love to see his productivity continue in the new system, that is a lot of money if his skills end up not transitioning well. (While I personally think he'll play fine, I also wouldn't have been all that surprised to see the new look Colts trade/cut him.)

So it looks like Hughes will be playing his natural position? Good...I am glad we finally smartened up. Hughes will be big this year as a OLB. I'm guessing 5 sacks as a back up.

Not sure you could call it hs natural position since he never played it before. I guess you could say he's better suited for it though. We shall soon find out. There are a lot of camp all stars who don't show up in real games.

Angerer is just a Likeable Guy. You have to Like him, he's Humble and you never hear of any Off-Field Problems with him. And the way he's Speaking on Conner & Hughes... let's see if the Coaches are seeing the Same thing. We'll find out in 4 Days. Cause in the End, the Coaches & Irsay I supposed Decide who Plays... and who Doesnt

I hope the signing`s of Fokou and Lloyd are for special teams. I really want to see a LB combo of Freeney,Angerer, Connor and Mathis out there. It always looked as though Connor packed a wallop, glad to see Angerer reinforce that. These 4 LB`s flying all over the place get me pumped up!

Not sure what the correlation is between 2 O-lineman and needing a OLB like Hughes to work out is? Unless you're referring to guys we would draft. In any case, Grigson hasn't had a problem making trades on signing FA, so it's not like we are dependent on the draft to find our players.

I mean, I we can get enough people to work out, we will have a good foundation.

Lets say Constanza is terrible and Ijalina gets cut, Freeney leaves.....BUT, Fleener AND Allen are great, Justice is Great, Hughes is a Superstar at OLB, our WR corei is unstobable, Luck shows promise...we have a great foundation.

Why would we just "Let Freeney Go" ??? We could definitely get Draft Picks for Him. I'm sure someone will be willing to give some Draft Picks up for him

But I don't see Grigson and everyone letting Freeney Go. After all he did for this Franchise, he deserves to Retire with a Horseshoe on his Helmet.not anything else

I mean, I we can get enough people to work out, we will have a good foundation.

Lets say Constanza is terrible and Ijalina gets cut, Freeney leaves.....BUT, Fleener AND Allen are great, Justice is Great, Hughes is a Superstar at OLB, our WR corei is unstobable, Luck shows promise...we have a great foundation.

I gotcha.

I think Castonzo will be fine. He's just now getting ready to start his second season and wasn't able to play all of his rookie season due to injury. If he or our whole O-line for that matter can stay healthy he'll show improvement. Saturday was our only lineman that played all 16 games last season. Now they have to learn a whole new scheme, new assignments, new terminology so there are going to be some times where they will make mistakes. IMO, it's too early to have a lack of faith in the guy.

Why would we just "Let Freeney Go" ??? We could definitely get Draft Picks for Him. I'm sure someone will be willing to give some Draft Picks up for him

But I don't see Grigson and everyone letting Freeney Go. After all he did for this Franchise, he deserves to Retire with a Horseshoe on his Helmet.not anything else

Unless Freeney is willing to sign a contract extension with the team he would be traded to, nobody would be willing to give up anything for him when they can just wait and try to get him in free agency. Why would a team give up draft picks for a guy that could walk out the door the moment the season is over?