Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's Talk Rams!

Smonroe

Good to know. This splash of reality may have already been posted, I think it tells us a lot of what we might expect when we face a team with a good passing game. It's from Nate Dunlevy, who I respect as a writer:

"The corners on this team are bad. Powers repeatedly makes outstanding plays, but his teammates too often come up empty. It looked today like there were several opportunities for interceptions that turned into head-scratching completions.

On multiple fourth-down plays in the red-zone drills, Colts quarterbacks completed long balls for touchdowns that simply had no business being complete. Luck found Wayne on one for a huge play that made you wonder who was supposed to be doing the coverage."

For those of you who've been to camp, do you tend to agree?

While I can agree to some of what he said here, the first string O has repeatedly gone against the second string D (thus getting the 3rd and 4th DB's on the depth chart) Very rarely have I seen them go first on first. Kris Adams did make a pretty sweet TD catch (from Stanton) against the first string D on Friday, but he is the tallest WR we have in camp and he did have to go way up in double coverage in the corner of the end zone to come up with it. It's easy to blast our secondary as they have been weak for years and they are learning a new system, so blown assignments are to be expected until everybody can get on the same page. Actually I've been more impressed with how the D has played, Luck was picked off for a TD by Powers one day and Hughes picked him off another day. I think they are doing pretty good all things considered.

While I can agree to some of what he said here, the first string O has repeatedly gone against the second string D (thus getting the 3rd and 4th DB's on the depth chart) Very rarely have I seen them go first on first. Kris Adams did make a pretty sweet TD catch (from Stanton) against the first string D on Friday, but he is the tallest WR we have in camp and he did have to go way up in double coverage in the corner of the end zone to come up with it. It's easy to blast our secondary as they have been weak for years and they are learning a new system, so blown assignments are to be expected until everybody can get on the same page. Actually I've been more impressed with how the D has played, Luck was picked off for a TD by Powers one day and Hughes picked him off another day. I think they are doing pretty good all things considered.

It's really good to get other opinions from camp. I think Nate is probably right though, besides Powers we're downright poor at CB.

I do like what I hear about Pagano coming up with unique ways to apply pressure. We can't leave those guys on an island back there and expect miracles.

We are gonna score more touchdowns I think it would be hard not to even if they tried not to but I think Andrew will be doing more running then he should have to this year, stopping teams on 3rd downs consistently we should be somewhat better, I dont expect a huge improvement

Rams WRs - we'll probably see Amondola, Quick, and Givens going against our nickel D (whoever they are). Not exactly a formidable trio. I doubt Jackson will play much so we should handle the run.

I know our D will be improved by game 1, but this is still going to give us a glimpse of things to come with our pass defense. If we can't stop that group we'll get torched by a decent team.

Agree?

Rams WRs - we'll probably see Amondola, Quick, and Givens going against our nickel D (whoever they are). Not exactly a formidable trio. I doubt Jackson will play much so we should handle the run.

I know our D will be improved by game 1, but this is still going to give us a glimpse of things to come with our pass defense. If we can't stop that group we'll get torched by a decent team.

Agree?

Agreed. The Rams have Average WR's. I believe our Biggest WR Test in the Pre-Season is either the Bengals with AJ Green & Sanu from Rutgers or the Steelers

Interesting to me is that the Rams didn't name a replacement for Gregg Williams at defensive coordinator. Jeff Fisher says it will be a collaboration between himself, Cecil Shorts and Dave McGinnis. I don't even think I've seen who will be calling plays. But if this defense is anything like what Gregg Williams has been known for, it's going to be an interesting matchup for our rookie quarterback. They won't have a full game plan and all that, but he's not going to be playing against a simple zone coverage scheme either.

Agree?

I definitely agree.

the rams have a really good pass rush with long,quinn, and brockers. also solid cb's with finnegan,jenkins,murphy. gonna be a tough game for luck

Could be. If you read the Rams forums, their fans sure agree with you. They think Jenkins is going to pick six Luck because he'll be afraid to throw at Finnegan. I'm not concerned about INTs, but I am concerned about sacks.