Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best WR of all time?

manning2dallas

The names you in bold are not better than Harrison, and Ismail better than Harrison? That's the most preposterous thing I've read in a while.

Even though I didn't bold some others, I didn't bold some others, because that's arguable. I think he's #4

qadry ismail is clearly one of the all time greats

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry we will have to DISAGREE on the BEST HANDS EVER for Harrison. Again man dropped a ton passes when he heard footsteps. I also was NOT comparing Welker in the top 10 ALL TIME I said was he could make a claim for the best hands (and I loled it :)

Swann my child hood Fav so sorta got glasses on for him so I will def relinquish that spot but anyone says smith isnt better than harrison a homer IMO. Look at the facts:

1. On terrible teams

2. Had TERRIBLE QB's

3. Was the ONLY threat on Offense

But yet still was effective every year... Harrison IMO is a product of Peyton, just like I think Welker is a product of Brady...

But then couldn't one argue that Rice is a product of Montana and Young?

IMO these 5 are in front of Harrison:

1. Rice -- we agree

2. Megatron -- Man is a monster and imagine what his numbers be if he had a Peyton or Brady throwing him the ball.

3. Lynn Swann -- Some of his catches were like OMG.. I think he gets little credit for his ability.

4. The Freak Randy Moss -- If he ever stayed motivated like Megatron does he be in the discussion for #1 overall.

5. Steve Smith -- Again he had crap QB's and the only threat and still made plays in TRIPLE coverage.

You can disagree but those 5 off the top of my head and Megatron keeps playing like he is he could be #1 if he ever gets a GOOD QB throwing to him!

Megatron had one good year. Yes, he was fantastic, and I love him, but that's not enough to make him top 5, let alone top 2.

You sir, deserve a :facepalm:

I don't even want to argue with you about this, because it's so obvious who the best is. Watch some highlights and grab a clue.

You are such a HOMER!! Smith in 10 YRS with SUB PAR QB's averages more than a 1,000 yards a season... Now Harrison with his only stint with a sub par QB averaged 800 NUFF SAID.

You are such a HOMER!! Smith in 10 YRS with SUB PAR QB's averages more than a 1,000 yards a season... Now Harrison with his only stint with a sub par QB averaged 800 NUFF SAID.

Steve Smith was the only receiver on the Panthers. Who else did they have? Jake Delhomme wasn't a sub-par QB, and certainly was a better passer than Harbaugh.

BTW, Steven Smith averages 934yds a season.

Harrison may have not had a 1000yds with Harbaugh, but he still led the team in everything.

Peyton Manning was/is GREAT. AMAZING. We all understand that. But if you believe he was better than Joe Montana....well, then I suspect you didn't watch football in the 80's. Easily best QB of all time. Never seen a player as clutch as him who kept his cool in high-pressue situations as he did. Stepped up in the biggest games, when it mattered. 4-0 in SBs! That is ridiculous!

Manning was FANTASTIC, but Rice DEFINITELY had an advantage catching passes from Joe Montana....

I'm 55 years old. I've been watching the NFL since the Mid-60's.... I live in Los Angeles, so I saw plenty of Joe Montana in my days. Likely more than you.

And I think Montana is the best of all-time. But not by any measure that would have changed the stats of Marvin Harrison. Peyton Manning is a God. Worthy of all the praise he gets. Harrison's numbers didn't suffer a bit because he had Manning instead of Montana and/or Young. He was the #1 receiver of the #1 passing QB. Hard to do better than that.

In fact, you could make the opposite argument. The rules favored passing more in Harrison's time than in Rice's.

Look.... this is all about opinions. Everyone is entitled. I just think you worked too hard to make a point and lost sight of some pretty obvious things.

Like I said.... we've all done it. Me included.

Sorry if you feel I've been giving you a hard time on this. Not my intention.

Calvin Johnson at this moment is not better in legacy than Harrison. If Fitz isnt yet, then Calvin certainly isnt. The only active receiver in the conversation is Moss.

It's Rice unanimously. Then, imo Moss (not saying I would definitely take him over marvin, but legacy wise his is greater than marvin, same with TO). Hutson. TO. Then Swan/Marvin. Carter is somewhere in the top 10.

Fitz imo will crack the top 10 in three years, and in 5 years will probably be in the top 5.

I'm 55 years old. I've been watching the NFL since the Mid-60's.... I live in Los Angeles, so I saw plenty of Joe Montana in my days. Likely more than you.

And I think Montana is the best of all-time. But not by any measure that would have changed the stats of Marvin Harrison. Peyton Manning is a God. Worthy of all the praise he gets. Harrison's numbers didn't suffer a bit because he had Manning instead of Montana and/or Young. He was the #1 receiver of the #1 passing QB. Hard to do better than that.

In fact, you could make the opposite argument. The rules favored passing more in Harrison's time than in Rice's.

Look.... this is all about opinions. Everyone is entitled. I just think you worked too hard to make a point and lost sight of some pretty obvious things.

Like I said.... we've all done it. Me included.

Sorry if you feel I've been giving you a hard time on this. Not my intention.

You are not giving me a hard time. Totally respect your opinion. Always happy to hear another members contributions, even if they aren't in accordance with my opinion.

Even if I believe Harrison is the GOAT, I have to admit those 80s Niners team had to be the most fun to watch ever. Beating a team 55-10 in the Super Bowl? That is unbelievable. To put that in relative terms, we were only beat by 9 more points when New Orleans smoked us 63-7 lol. "Hey, isn't that John Candy?" during The Drive has got to be my favorite sports story of all time. Usually I always go for the underdog, but it was hard not to root for those Bill Walsh 49ers. Or is it just me?

You are not giving me a hard time. Totally respect your opinion. Always happy to hear another members contributions, even if they aren't in accordance with my opinion.

Even if I believe Harrison is the GOAT, I have to admit those 80s Niners team had to be the most fun to watch ever. Beating a team 55-10 in the Super Bowl? That is unbelievable. To put that in relative terms, we were only beat by 9 more points when New Orleans smoked us 63-7 lol. "Hey, isn't that John Candy?" during The Drive has got to be my favorite sports story of all time. Usually I always go for the underdog, but it was hard not to root for those Bill Walsh 49ers. Or is it just me?

it's just you.

Heres my list,call it my top 10 Lol not in any paticular order Rice Harrison,C Carter,Largent,Brown,TO,Alworth,Berry,Moss,Monk ,Stallworth,Swann,Biletnikoff,Sharpe,Warfield,A Johnson ,Wayne,B Hayes,S Smith,G Clark,M Clayton,D Pearson,C Taylor.Sorry couldnt keep it at ten,i watched all of these guys play,some from earlier time,when running game was more prevelant,so you cant fairly compare them with todays players.IMO its a pretty good list!!!

No, they aren't looked upon less because they can stay healthier. But when it came to a performance in games they played, Harrison produced more.

So since Marvin had more rec, and less yards/TDs, in less games, he produced more? The longevity, and age at which those to continued to produced are hindering to there overall legacy?

M2D....

Sorry, I don't follow about Harrison being the GOAT?? Is that an anachronism for something? What does that mean? You lost me.

As for the 49ers.... they were a generation ahead of everybody else. Walsh was so far ahead of his time it's scary. His vision for the playbook and his ability to judge talent were unsurpassed. He was wired differently than most and that cost him, but what a talent. It's as if he was playing another game that everyone else was trying to figure out what it was.

I followed Walsh from his days as a Paul Brown assistant to a Chargers assistant, then to Stanford (!!!) and finally on to he 49ers.

A singular talent. Just tremendous. You'll get no argument from me.

And believe me when I say.... that nothing I wrote here is to be taken as a slight to Marvin Harrison. I know just how great he was. Didn't follow him much at Syracuse, but I followed him from draft day. Right when Ron Jaworski said he was the best wide receiver taken in a much heralded class of WR's. He was indeed a Hall of Famer.

(Just wish he didn't have these post career issues)

M2D....

Sorry, I don't follow about Harrison being the GOAT?? Is that an anachronism for something? What does that mean? You lost me.

As for the 49ers.... they were a generation ahead of everybody else. Walsh was so far ahead of his time it's scary. His vision for the playbook and his ability to judge talent were unsurpassed. He was wired differently than most and that cost him, but what a talent. It's as if he was playing another game that everyone else was trying to figure out what it was.

I followed Walsh from his days as a Paul Brown assistant to a Chargers assistant, then to Stanford (!!!) and finally on to he 49ers.

A singular talent. Just tremendous. You'll get no argument from me.

And believe me when I say.... that nothing I wrote here is to be taken as a slight to Marvin Harrison. I know just how great he was. Didn't follow him much at Syracuse, but I followed him from draft day. Right when Ron Jaworski said he was the best wide receiver taken in a much heralded class of WR's. He was indeed a Hall of Famer.

(Just wish he didn't have these post career issues)

GOAT = Greatest of all time.

And yes Bill Walsh was something else. I remember him at Stanford. Truly a legend in every sense of the word. I actually followed Joe Montana's early career much more closely however, because I am a huge FIGHTIN IRISH fan. I love watching ND players succeed in the NFL. People are surprised Joe Montana was great because he was a 3rd rounder, but anyone who watched him play understood he was just the perfect, protoypical QB, even if his height/weight/speed were underwhelming. Watching him in college, you just knew he possessed "what it takes".

And cannot wait for Harrison to hit the HOF!

GOAT = Greatest of all time.

And yes Bill Walsh was something else. I remember him at Stanford. Truly a legend in every sense of the word. I actually followed Joe Montana's early career much more closely however, because I am a huge FIGHTIN IRISH fan. I love watching ND players succeed in the NFL. People are surprised Joe Montana was great because he was a 3rd rounder, but anyone who watched him play understood he was just the perfect, protoypical QB, even if his height/weight/speed were underwhelming. Watching him in college, you just knew he possessed "what it takes".

And cannot wait for Harrison to hit the HOF!

Thanks, appreciate the GOAT education!

As for Montana... back then, the QB position was not quite as valued as it is today. It's wasn't unheard of to find your QB in the 3rd round. In fact, that year, I don't think the 49ers had a #1.... and their #2, was former UCLA rb James Owens, a world class track athlete, who Walsh tried to turn into a WR.... that was before he tried to do the same thing with World Record High Hurdler Reynaldo Nehemiah.

Apologies for the thread drift... we're getting away from Colts stuff... but just wanted to finish that off...

Thanks again...

If I go 3 wide, I want Rice & Moss outside and would put Harrison in the slot with 18 throwing the pig.

If Harrison hadn't been forced to retire and he was still active then he might be close to giving Rice a run for his money, but that didn't happen.

Best in the game today: Fitzgerald has the #'s but if I could take any wide receiver in the game I'd take Calvin Johnson. Fitzgerald would be a close second.

Most underrated receiver in my opinion that I saw was Herman Moore. He was magical at times.

I agree with IndyTrav, as much as I love Marvin he was pretty much a no-show in the playoffs. Compare that to someone like Rice who was an absolute monster in the playoffs. heck look at his stats in the SB alone. Rice played more games but here are the stats

Rice: 115 rec 2245 yds 22 tds (29 games)

Harrison: 65 rec 853 yds 2 tds (16 games)

Wayne: 83 rec 1128 yds 9 tds (17 games)

Even compared to Wayne...and Wayne had 1 reception for 1 yard in his last playoff game so you might as well make it 82 rec 1127 yds 9 tds in 16 games.

What makes it even worse is Harrison scored his 2 td's in the same game against the Broncos in 2003. That was his only 100+yard game in the playoffs as well. And if you guys recall, a large chunk was credited to the Broncos not touching him while he was down and him getting up and running for the score.

Still love marvin though, only Colts jersey I own :)

I'll make the same argument I make when Pats fans talk about Brady's postseason stats compared to Manning's: It's completely unreasonable to grade a player based on a tiny percentage of his games against the best competition in the league. Marvin played 190 games, and you're grading him based on 8.4% of those games. As a matter of fact, this is even more unfair for a receiver than it is for a quarterback, because the receiver can't produce if the quarterback can't get him the ball. Marvin wasn't great in the playoffs, but I reject the notion that this somehow makes him a lesser player.

Most gifted receiver of all time is Randy Moss, and it's not even close. If he had the work ethic and dedication of lesser athletes like Herman Moore, Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, etc., he'd be at the top of everyone's list.

As it stands, it's impossible to argue against Jerry Rice. His numbers speak for themselves.

After that, it's a conglomeration of a bunch of guys, but I think an argument can be made for Marvin. Especially in the past 15 years or so.

I'll make the same argument I make when Pats fans talk about Brady's postseason stats compared to Manning's: It's completely unreasonable to grade a player based on a tiny percentage of his games against the best competition in the league. Marvin played 190 games, and you're grading him based on 8.4% of those games. As a matter of fact, this is even more unfair for a receiver than it is for a quarterback, because the receiver can't produce if the quarterback can't get him the ball. Marvin wasn't great in the playoffs, but I reject the notion that this somehow makes him a lesser player.

Manning's and Brady's postseason stats are very similar, there isnt much difference there between the two. I do agree though it's not entirely fair to judge Marvin on his playoff stats, but when we're talking about the greatest wide receivers ever, I think the playoffs can be used as one factor in separating the greats from on another. You could also argue that while Marvin doesn't have great playoff stats, he has a ring. Moss, TO, Carter can't say that.

So since Marvin had more rec, and less yards/TDs, in less games, he produced more? The longevity, and age at which those to continued to produced are hindering to there overall legacy?

I guess you didn't read my post before. His production per game was better.

Manning's and Brady's postseason stats are very similar, there isnt much difference there between the two. I do agree though it's not entirely fair to judge Marvin on his playoff stats, but when we're talking about the greatest wide receivers ever, I think the playoffs can be used as one factor in separating the greats from on another. You could also argue that while Marvin doesn't have great playoff stats, he has a ring. Moss, TO, Carter can't say that.

If all the other stats are close, then playoff stats are a valid way to make a distinction. But when one player has significantly better stats overall, and then the argument is "yeah, but, X has better playoff stats," I shut down.

I don't think rings matter, either.

By the way, I had forgotten how close Harrison is with TO, Moss and Carter.

Hey I was like 5 watching him he was my fav and most acrobatic WR I ever saw.. (back then.) IMO he was the best WR on that steeler team.

Swann played for only 8 years... 336 catches and 5000+ yards with 50 tds doesnt get you on any top ten list

It got him in the Hof, which almost every receiver we've put in the top 10 discussion can't say yet.

Lynn Swann wouldn't make the HOF with those stats in this era. Not trying to say he shouldn't be there, but the fact that he is doesn't make him better than the guys we're talking about.

Lynn Swann wouldn't make the HOF with those stats in this era. Not trying to say he shouldn't be there, but the fact that he is doesn't make him better than the guys we're talking about.

If he played in this era, he would most likely have better stats and would make the hof. Not saying he is definitively better than the guys we're mentioning, I personally dont think he's better than the main ones we've mentioned, but when you're talking about a top 10 list of all time, you're really only dealing with hall of famers.

Swann also is a three time SB champion, who personally showed up in the big game every time. Let's not act like he doesn't have credentials to be in the discussion of the top 10 receivers of all time.

actually he is a four time super bowl winner... Thanks to the iron curtain defense and one heck of a running game...

Marvin had 3 times as many catches, 3 times the yardage, and almost 3 times the tds,

actually he is a four time super bowl winner... Thanks to the iron curtain defense and one heck of a running game...

Marvin had 3 times as many catches, 3 times the yardage, and almost 3 times the tds,

My mistake. Meant to say four time SB winner, who showed up huge in the SB three times (that first SB he didnt do anything). He put up amazing numbers in the last three SB wins; you have to attribute the steeler's success to him as well. And Swann played in a way different era and offense, and for fewer years than Marvin. All that has to be considered.

Like I said, I dont believe Swann is better than Marvin, but Swann was a great receiver of his time and belongs in the conversation.