Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 07/25

sb41champs

Weren't you under the impression that the new "Collective Bargaining Agreement" was supposed to expedite draft pick signings ???

I'm just asking .........WHY did we open "Rookie Camp" with TWO players still unsigned ??

I actually wasnt under that impression...

its an agents job to push and demand and get perks for his 'boy'

..some agents may feel if they sign too quickly, they dont have 'street cred' for future clients..

...or a respect level for future negotiations about the same client...

The CBA was revised to control costs for the owners because recent high draft picks had been walking in with salaries that exceeded those of veteran stars - despite their having proved and contributed nothing. One bust could cripple a franchise for years.

I'm sure some "experts" predicted that it would also make the signing period easier, but that ignores human nature. People often don't conclude difficult negotiations until the potential pain of not concluding it exceeds the potential pain of caving to a demand.

As of July 29, 2010, 29 of 32 first round draft picks were unsigned (including our own Jerry Hughes).

As of July 23, 2012, all but 25 of 253 total draft picks were signed. As of today, July 26, all but 7 are signed.

The new CBA has made it much easier and much less painful to sign draft picks. Just because it's not as smooth as glass doesn't mean the rookie contract situation isn't significantly better. It is.

As of July 29, 2010, 29 of 32 first round draft picks were unsigned (including our own Jerry Hughes).

As of July 23, 2012, all but 25 of 253 total draft picks were signed. As of today, July 26, all but 7 are signed.

The new CBA has made it much easier and much less painful to sign draft picks. Just because it's not as smooth as glass doesn't mean the rookie contract situation isn't significantly better. It is.

I knew the rookie signings this year and last seem alot more smooth and quickly, but those numbers! WOW. I think the NFL got this right, can't imagine what we would be paying for Luck if this were 3 years ago...... but then again that probably would mean we would have traded the number one pick

I can only say they missed some 'reps,' but our offense is going to utilize these two men early and often. They will make up the short time they missed. I cannot wait to see these rookies in action....not just the two just signed....all of them.

Some bad news...the Indy Star reported rookie NT Josh Chapman will begin the season on the P.U.P list (Physically Unable to Perform)

I knew the rookie signings this year and last seem alot more smooth and quickly, but those numbers! WOW. I think the NFL got this right, can't imagine what we would be paying for Luck if this were 3 years ago...... but then again that probably would mean we would have traded the number one pick

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/58538/contract-status-of-12-first-round-draft-picks

As of today, only three unsigned first rounders.

And yeah, without the rookie wage scale, we'd probably be looking at signing Luck for about $90 million, $55 million guaranteed, for seven years. If not, more. Bradford's contract was $78 million (plus another $8 million in incentives for a total of $86 million), with $50 million guaranteed. His guaranteed money was more than double the total value of Luck's contract, which is fully guaranteed.

No question they got this right. They also penalize any rookie who doesn't report to camp by a certain date (I think it's 30 days before the start of the regular season). So the likelihood of a prolonged holdout is slim to none.

I can only say they missed some 'reps,' but our offense is going to utilize these two men early and often. They will make up the short time they missed. I cannot wait to see these rookies in action....not just the two just signed....all of them.

Some bad news...the Indy Star reported rookie NT Josh Chapman will begin the season on the P.U.P list (Physically Unable to Perform)

Are you serious? Man, he was gonna be our runner stopper and road grader on defense...Major bummer :facepalm::sigh:

I hope that Chapman is a fast healer and gets back on the field quickly. Not good news at all.

Are you serious? Man, he was gonna be our runner stopper and road grader on defense...Major bummer :facepalm::sigh:

I hope that Chapman is a fast healer and gets back on the field quickly. Not good news at all.

Pagano said there will be a few others on PUP.....but Castonzo and Iljalana are ready....Carter also.

Not great news, but hardly a surprise. If you remember he was recovering from a major medical problem. If he wasn't, he probably wouldn't have been available for us to draft. The fact that he isn't ready yet doesn't mean all that much. It's a long term gamble that hasn't even begun to play out yet.

Not great news, but hardly a surprise. If you remember he was recovering from a major medical problem. If he wasn't, he probably wouldn't have been available for us to draft. The fact that he isn't ready yet doesn't mean all that much. It's a long term gamble that hasn't even begun to play out yet.

Yes, MAC you are correct. His medical history was indeed the reason NT Chapman fell so far in the draft and became available to us. I just hope this matter is a conditioning/workout issue not a end your NFL career before it even begins medical issue. The former can be fixed and rectified; the latter cannot.

Yes, MAC you are correct. His medical history was indeed the reason NT Chapman fell so far in the draft and became available to us. I just hope this matter is a conditioning/workout issue not a end your NFL career before it even begins medical issue. The former can be fixed and rectified; the latter cannot.

He said after he was drafted that he hoped to be ready for training camp, but wasn't sure. It's really no surprise. And he can come off PUP anytime during camp.

He said after he was drafted that he hoped to be ready for training camp, but wasn't sure. It's really no surprise. And he can come off PUP anytime during camp.

I like you positive outlook on the Chapman circumstance Superman. I am not trying to foreshadow doom and gloom here.

I just want our squad to do well this year and Chapman is a member of the glorious Horseshoe organization now. I hope Chapman is off the PUP list very soon.

I like you positive outlook on the Chapman circumstance Superman. I am not trying to foreshadow doom and gloom here.

I just want our squad to do well this year and Chapman is a member of the glorious Horseshoe organization now. I hope Chapman is off the PUP list very soon.

I'm not sure whether he'll be ready to play at all this year. I think when he is ready, he's gonna be good. My comment about the PUP list and the fact that he can come off it is just that it's not like IR where he's shut down for the year. There have been players on the PUP list for a few days, just until they could pass their physical.

I'm not sure whether he'll be ready to play at all this year. I think when he is ready, he's gonna be good. My comment about the PUP list and the fact that he can come off it is just that it's not like IR where he's shut down for the year. There have been players on the PUP list for a few days, just until they could pass their physical.

Our scouting Dept. and medical experts on staff surely did an elaborate work up on all our candidates before they were even drafted. No owner or GM ever pulls the trigger on players with red hot alert, question mark athletes. I guess Colts Nation can find comfort and peace of mind in that crucial rule of thumb. NFL franchises kick over every stone before drafting and paying any athlete on their roster.

Our scouting Dept. and medical experts on staff surely did an elaborate work up on all our candidates before they were even drafted. No owner or GM ever pulls the trigger on players with red hot alert, question mark athletes. I guess Colts Nation can find comfort and peace of mind in that crucial rule of thumb. NFL franchises kick over every stone before drafting and paying any athlete on their roster.

i always thought they read internet message boards for guidance