Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts have an upcoming mini-camp for Rookies?

NewColtsFan

I'm asking this because the Redskins are having one this week... and their basic training camp doesn't open until the 26th...

Oh, by the way, RG3 is NOT at the camp. Something about not having a contract...

So I'm wondering if the Colts are having such a camp...

OR...

Have they already had it?

Just asking....

And thanks....

When a player doesn't show up to camp, is it because they are "protesting" (for lack of a better word) for their contract or because they are not allowed to since they don't officially work for an NFL team yet? Can a player show up to camp without a contract?

CB Morris Claiborne (Dallas Draft Pick) said he's showing up SIGNED or NOT SIGNED. So if he shows up (Un-Signed) & succeeds, that'll answer your Question lol

When a player doesn't show up to camp, is it because they are "protesting" (for lack of a better word) for their contract or because they are not allowed to since they don't officially work for an NFL team yet? Can a player show up to camp without a contract?

They might be able to show up.

They would not be allowed to participate.

I see. But they could still watch and get the mental reps, which is better than nothing

They should be allowed to do that, but historically nobody has. So they might have to be signed and sealed before allowed on the premises.

It could be the agent pulling the strings, by keeping the players away from camp all together but close enough to where-ever the team holds camp so that they can arrive shortly after signing.

I'm a bit confused by the rules. If memory serves, the rookies - including Luck - already been in numerous team activities without a contract. Makes you wonder what would happen if they got hurt in one of them. I'm not sure what the difference is technically between those activities and training camp. You'd have to think that the unsigned players "could" come, but they would be foolish to do so.

I'm a bit confused by the rules. If memory serves, the rookies - including Luck - already been in numerous team activities without a contract. Makes you wonder what would happen if they got hurt in one of them. I'm not sure what the difference is technically between those activities and training camp. You'd have to think that the unsigned players "could" come, but they would be foolish to do so.

Organized team activities (OTAs) and minicamps are different from training camp. Per the CBA, they are limited in days and length, there are no pads, and player contact is severely limited.

When camp comes, pads go on, hitting starts, etc. Still restrictions and limitations, but the risk of injury goes way up.

So, per the CBA, unsigned rookie draft picks can participate in OTAs and minicamps, but not training camp.

Thanks very much to everyone....

Good 411 and other observations....

25th for rookies.... 28th for Vets. (for some reason I thought it was the 29th for Vets, but no one here on this thread has said that, so I guess it's the 28th)

Yeah, come to think of it, those are the reporting dates. Work outs begin the next day.