Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With The Signing Of Brayton........

Scott Pennock

We now have three (3) defensive end/defensive tackle tweeners on our roster with Tyler Brayton, Jamaal Anderson and Eric Foster..........with Anderson and Brayton pretty stout against the run as defensive ends. Wonder if Chris Polian is listening to Larry Coyer and bringing in guys that can fit into his scheme a bit better? This signing certainly shakes up the depth chart a bit I would think?

Freeney, Mathis, Anderson, Brayton, Hughes

Johnson, Nevis, Harris, Foster, Mathews, Moala

Thats 11 players for a position that the Colts typically carry only 10? Does someone go or do they sacrifice a roster spot elsewhere to accomodate?

Thoughts?

We now have three (3) defensive end/defensive tackle tweeners on our roster with Tyler Brayton, Jamaal Anderson and Eric Foster..........with Anderson and Brayton pretty stout against the run as defensive ends. Wonder if Chris Polian is listening to Larry Coyer and bringing in guys that can fit into his scheme a bit better? This signing certainly shakes up the depth chart a bit I would think?

Thats 11 players for a position that the Colts typically carry only 10? Does someone go or do they sacrifice a roster spot elsewhere to accomodate?

Thoughts?

Some will depend on what we do with returner, if we get a guy who can do that and fill another role on the roster that frees up a spot. Also do we have to keep a third QB? If we do that takes a roster spot. What will probably decide it is how do the guys on the back end do on special teams. If they can help there it will help their chances of making the roster.

Freeney, Mathis, and Hughes will all stay because they are our three pass rushers.

I think Johnson, Nevis, Mathews, and Moala are all safe. If Harris keeps playing like what I heard about on Saturday he'll stay. Foster I could see going either way on.

Anderson and Brayton were both brought in to be run stopping ends and play a little tackle. Odds are Foster, Anderson, and Brayton are probably playing for two spots.

I think Johnson, Nevis, Mathews, and Moala are all safe.

I don't think Mathews is safe at all, neither is Tommie Harris, IMO. Foster played next to Dawson in 2008 for all downs and again, next to Dawson for a lot of passing downs as UT in 2010 too. Plus, he got 6 sacks in the last 3 years from the DT postion, more than anyone else, if I am correct. Put in a good UT next to him and he will produce even better, IMO. He is probably the most underrated DT on the Colts roster. He is very important for pass rush, IMO, in the rotation as a UT and will be picked up by most 4-3 Ds as soon as he is cut, IMO. I personally do not want to get carried away by what Tommie Harris can potentially bring till he shows me more in the next 3 pre-season games.

It might end up like this:

NT: AJ, Mathews/Ogbu

UT: Nevis, Moala, Foster/Harris

LE: Freeney, Hughes

RE: Mathis, Chick, Anderson/Brayton

I like this move. In the last 2 years I have noticed less of Dwight Freeney on first down (because of lack of gap integrity aka always going after the qb) I like the sound of Tyler Brayton on first down and as a DE in running situation. Chris Polian has impressed me, its not always about the big signings, sometimes its the little signings that can improve a team tremendously :coltslogo:

classic polian at his best.....i think they are just trying to get a number 2 that has different perspective's of how the game is played.

the colt strive off of themselves by veteran leadership and class.Im confident that brayton can play the position but can he behave...

if not we all know what will happen..

I like this move. In the last 2 years I have noticed less of Dwight Freeney on first down (because of lack of gap integrity aka always going after the qb) I like the sound of Tyler Brayton on first down and as a DE in running situation. Chris Polian has impressed me, its not always about the big signings, sometimes its the little signings that can improve a team tremendously :coltslogo:

Very true. And it's also true that we really didn't need any BIG signings. We were a bad KO coverage and dumb timeout of making it to the second round of the playoffs with more impact players on IR than some teams have. (Okay, that was probably too strong, but you know what I mean)

I also agree with Chad72 and add that Foster isn't safe either. The kid from Penn State could beat out Harris unless he can show he's healthy and effective. Hughes shouldn't be safe either, but will be for at least this year.

I don't think Mathews is safe at all, neither is Tommie Harris, IMO. Foster played next to Dawson in 2008 for all downs and again, next to Dawson for a lot of passing downs as UT in 2010 too. Plus, he got 6 sacks in the last 3 years from the DT postion, more than anyone else, if I am correct. Put in a good UT next to him and he will produce even better, IMO. He is probably the most underrated DT on the Colts roster. He is very important for pass rush, IMO, in the rotation as a UT and will be picked up by most 4-3 Ds as soon as he is cut, IMO. I personally do not want to get carried away by what Tommie Harris can potentially bring till he shows me more in the next 3 pre-season games.

It might end up like this:

NT: AJ, Mathews/Ogbu

UT: Nevis, Moala, Foster/Harris

LE: Freeney, Hughes

RE: Mathis, Chick, Anderson/Brayton

Yes but towards the end of last year Mathews was playing ahead of Foster and the Colts really seem to like what they are getting from him. I didn't like Harris a lock he still has to earn his spot in the last three games but based on what I've gathered he did play well on Saturday night so if he does that again he might very well make the roster. I think two things in Foster's favor is that he is our fullback and he plays special teams. I don't konw if Anderson or Brayton does or not but that might keep Foster on the roster alone. It will probably come down to Anderson and Brayton for the last job. I just don't think Chick is going to make it. I think we can stash him on the PS for one more year anyways.

Could we be adding a 3-4 package with our defense as a surprise for other teams? We have the personal to do so in my opinion with this addition.

Teams don't really have 3-4 packages they are either a 3-4 team or a 4-3 team because of how you have to play the ends and the fact that you need a monster DT in a 3-4 something we still don't have. Guys don't just go from being a pass rusher in a 4-3 defense where they line up on the end to standing up and rushing the passer like you do in a 3-4 without a lot of work. In fact some people think that is going to give Williams fits this year with the Texans. One thing is for sure you can't do it without practing it and the Colts have not done that or it would have been major news from camp and with no OTAs this year I don't really see how the Colts could be planning this. Not to mention to my knowledge Coyer has never coached a 3-4 in his life and coaches don't just change systems.

Could we be adding a 3-4 package with our defense as a surprise for other teams? We have the personal to do so in my opinion with this addition.

Hm...that could be interesting. Freeney and Foster as DEs. AJ as NT. LBs would be Conner, Brackett, Angerer and Hughes/Chick? I'm assuming Hughes has bulked up a lot, but I'm not sure about Chick. Last I checked, Chick was in the 255 range

Teams don't really have 3-4 packages they are either a 3-4 team or a 4-3 team because of how you have to play the ends and the fact that you need a monster DT in a 3-4 something we still don't have. Guys don't just go from being a pass rusher in a 4-3 defense where they line up on the end to standing up and rushing the passer like you do in a 3-4 without a lot of work. In fact some people think that is going to give Williams fits this year with the Texans. One thing is for sure you can't do it without practing it and the Colts have not done that or it would have been major news from camp and with no OTAs this year I don't really see how the Colts could be planning this. Not to mention to my knowledge Coyer has never coached a 3-4 in his life and coaches don't just change systems.

True dat.

When I was seeing the zone blitz by Dick Lebeau as the #1 invention in the NFL, I wondered if 4-3 teams would ever do that. Then, it would require someone that demands a double team to drop back in coverage as an element of surprise for a zone blitz. So, essentially a 4 man front becomes a 3 man front (and a 3 man front becomes a 2 man front) with blitzing from the middle and/or sides with LBs and/or DBs. So, suddenly, the 2 O-linemen responsible for their double team could end up blocking no one if their man drops back and no one is rushing from their zone. Haloti Ngata and B.J.Raji have both done that and have gotten INTs (as recent as Raji in the NFCCG), it is not like they practice catching balls all the time. That would be something I would like thrown in as an element of surprise with a DE or DT dropping back in coverage that the O-line is getting ready to double team. That can be done with our 4-3.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/defensive-coordinator-larry-coyer-answers-your-questions/f8896124-7892-11df-ba56-acc8e62813e9 I think we have the defensive tackles and the bigger defensive ends to do it now. We could play a 4-3 and 3-4 defense. After reading this you may think about it. What is our team built on? SPEED! It just has me thinking though with the new additions to our team.

It would be awesome to see us come out in a 3-4 once in a while next year. The opponents mind would be f***ed. Moala, Mookie/Nevis, and Freeney on the front, with Conner, Brackett, Angerer, and Mathis/Hughes/or Chick would be amazing. We did run a little 3-4 a couple years ago with Brock as a standup lineman, but it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to be dropping into a zone so it was moot. We should use some different defensive packages to confuse the offense.

heck, if Green Bay can drop BJ Raji into coverage and he have a pick six, I don't see why we can't have Mathis play some zone.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/defensive-coordinator-larry-coyer-answers-your-questions/f8896124-7892-11df-ba56-acc8e62813e9 I think we have the defensive tackles and the bigger defensive ends to do it now. We could play a 4-3 and 3-4 defense. After reading this you may think about it. What is our team built on? SPEED! It just has me thinking though with the new additions to our team.

There is still the little factor of we have never practiced with it. This isn't something you just slip into a game plan for a game either. There is a reason why teams are 3-4 or 4-3 and not both. It takes time to learn it. I am sure it's not impossiable but I don't think it's too likely.

I am starting to think this team may "finally" be looking into a "3-4" type look.

I'm thinking the same. People say it takes time to learn it, but I'm not saying we're going to switch to it. I'm thinking we can run both, it's like running different formations on offense is all I'm saying. You can't say we don't have the personal to run it on surprise.

Thoughts?

I have a different take. I would be surprised if all the D linemen they brought in make the team. I think Brayton was a signing due to Hughes' slow growth and Anderson's injury.

You are right. The Colts have played both Freeney and Mathis less and less on early run downs. But I think has infinitely more to do with the team wanting them fresh on key pass rush downs than a perceived lack of gap integrity.

You are right. The Colts have played both Freeney and Mathis less and less on early run downs. But I think has infinitely more to do with the team wanting them fresh on key pass rush downs than a perceived lack of gap integrity.

That would be it, they aren't getting any younger so they are trying to save their legs some. Also, Freeney has been proven to be a touch injury prone in the past cuople of years so I am sure that they are just trying to save a little wear and tear on his body. They would rest one of them just about every play that wasn't 3rd and long or an obvious passing situation when we had Brock. So this isn't really new news at least to me.

I don't feel we will be transitioning to a 3-4, 4-3 hybrid type of defense. I feel the front office sees Frathis spin themselves out of running plays, and we rely on our second and third levels to stop the run. I think we are just adding depth to our Tampa 2 style defense so that we can be prepared for any situation an offense can throw at us. I've said this in another thread, but I feel that if we rely on our rotation too often, a no huddle offense can take advantage of us. If we have our passing defense in they can go no huddle and run a lot and vice-versa. I am loving that I feel we will actually but up a fight for giving up rushing yards this year though. I feel that if we are a middle of the pack type of defense, we will be hard to deal with because our offense seems to always show up and score some points for us.

Yea i def think age and keeping the boys fresh plays a factor, but imo from watching every colts game last year that Freeney is probably the least gap sound player on our defensive line in particular. The reason for my theory are the numbers. Numbers tell the story. We all know hes an outstanding pass rusher but only 25 tackles at the DE position to me is unexceptable, almost half of his tackles were sacks :no: good . From the moment the ball is hiked he is so fast up field to the qb the "D" gap is completely open. Teams that are good vs the run are gap sound, teams that arent like ours simply don't play with gap integrity in particular Freeney.

Jerry Hughes is fine in my opinion. He did exactly what the coaches told him to do. He has tremendous speed off the edge. I thought he false started a few times he was so quick. You can't show everything, you just have to give a taste. Drake Nevis is powerful and that surprised me. I never seen him bull rush, but he can from what I seen. Scouts said he lacked a powerful bull rush in pushing the pocket.

Jerry Hughes is fine in my opinion. He did exactly what the coaches told him to do. He has tremendous speed off the edge. I thought he false started a few times he was so quick. You can't show everything, you just have to give a taste. Drake Nevis is powerful and that surprised me. I never seen him bull rush, but he can from what I seen. Scouts said he lacked a powerful bull rush in pushing the pocket.

I've always thought Hughes biggest issue was the same issue Moala had coming into the NFL, he just wasn't physicaly strong enough yet. I figured if he had a year of hitting the weight room that would take care of it's self just as Moala did. Also, Hughes had to make the adjustment from being a 3-4 pass rusher in college to a 4-3 pass rusher in the NFL. That takes time and isn't something that is done over night. From all accounts Mario Williams is having issues making the reverse change in Houston this year. I think Hughes is going to work out but I want to see more of him this pre-season. He has some flashes here and there of what he could be (had a very good game against the Bengals in the pre-season last year) and had a play or two last year that gives me hope that if he gets stronger he's going to be a good player.