Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With so much talk/concern about the new Defense......

NewColtsFan

.... thought it'd be worth linking a story up on the front page of the website...

It's all about the new defense with an emphasis on Freeney and Mathis....... but there are good quotes in there from the Baltimore players we've brought over and more...

Should make for some good discussion....

Enjoy!!

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/SOMETHING-NEW-SOMETHING-BLUE/f0d64d30-117d-497c-bc9f-6443c1a7cb3d

Doubters, this one is for you:

“To see Robert Mathis run with (rookie tight end Coby) Fleener on a wheel route and break up a pass in the end zone, we all got excited when that happened,” said Pagano.

I didn't get to see it in person, but when you guys got on here & posted it..... I fainted. Not gonna Lie lol

I really think our defense is going to have a break out year. I think they needed this change mroe than anything. think it will be a breath of fresh air and a new challenge. I look to be running in the top rankings in the upcoming years!

to add, football is not always about x's and o's...but the mentality part will have more to do with our success. we have always had a soft mentality on offense and defense. more about execution, timing, doing what we do blah blah blah. can wait to line up and just smash people in their mouth!! booyah!! heh

“To see Robert Mathis run with (rookie tight end Coby) Fleener on a wheel route and break up a pass in the end zone, we all got excited when that happened,” said Pagano.

Impressive...most impressive

Does any player have a better "football attitude" than Robert Mathis? He is the most undersized 4-3 DE in the league and flourishes. They tell him he's going to be a 3-4 guy, he revels in it. He and (I bet) every Colt fan believes he's going to thrive in this as well. I wish everyone on our team had his mentality.

tumblr_m51t5lCWKa1r5bk3s.gif

One of my fav quotes from the article (other than Redding's "everything but the kitchen sink" comment):

“We’re football players. We don’t have any doubt that we can’t do this,” said Mathis. “(The Baltimore defense has) a lot of credibility. Their reputation speaks for itself. They know how to play some defensive football. We’re glad we stole a little of their personnel. We have them over here, and we’re eager to get it going. It’s a different vibe and a different attitude. As a defensive guy, you welcome that. We’re ready to get it going.” --Robert Mathis

This article also reiterates what Coach Pagano said when first asked about what type of D we would run. He said then (and Redding and others referred to it in this article) that sometimes we would run a 3-4, sometimes it would be a 4-3, and others it might be a hybrid. Remember, our motto is "Simple me, complex you."

So ready for an awesome D in Indy!

In my opinion, Freeney and Mathis fit the 3-4 even better. At least how I see it. It was no secret that running the ball against them caused problems. So now they are off the line, with 3 guys in the middle instead of 2 and the freedom to attack at will......or play zone coverage or even man to man(Mathis on Fleenar's wheel route). These guys are fast, not big! They will be able to freely move around while the mountain of meat we have put in the middle forces runs to them on the edges. I love what our team is doing and am VERY excited. I've enjoyed the winning in the past, but I LOVE good ol' fashioned run the ball and play defense, and I think that is what we are gonna be doing. I believe Luck will develop and our passing game will constantly improve, but I love it that we are getting back to run the ball, play defense, and beat up the other guy for the win! VERY exciting and hopefully our "glass jaw" persona will finally get lifted. When the Colts came to Indy, they played defense and we got away from that. We won, so it's all good, but I'm extremely excited about this year. We have more of a TEAM than we have had in the past. It's great!

GO COLTS!!!!!