Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay the man....

kansascolt

Being from Kansas, I rarely hear about the local events, appearances, etc that Irsay does. Just wondering, aside from his incessant tweeting how he was viewed in Indy. He seems like a pretty decent guy during interviews and such. Anyone have any stories?

Being from Kansas, I rarely hear about the local events, appearances, etc that Irsay does. Just wondering, aside from his incessant tweeting how he was viewed in Indy. He seems like a pretty decent guy during interviews and such. Anyone have any stories?

Oh, I've got quite a story, but it happened quite some time ago in Chicago while he was the GM. He's a different person now, so it's dead.

I don't live in Indy, but my impression is that he's a good, well meaning human being, who's also quirky and a bit mis-understood.

Latest PM issue withstanding to many.

This is a great question KansasColt. I too am a dislocated fan geographically speaking living in Wisconsin who loves his Colts & will never be a Packers Cheese Head not for all the money in the world. At any rate, I love questions that pull the curtain back & give you a glimpse of Jim Irsay's private side that only a select few truly get to see. Irsay does seem like a very giving person and charitable person.

Oh, I've got quite a story, but it happened quite some time ago in Chicago while he was the GM. He's a different person now, so it's dead.

I don't live in Indy, but my impression is that he's a good, well meaning human being, who's also quirky and a bit mis-understood.

Latest PM issue withstanding to many.

Now I want to hear this story.

I'm guessing the story goes, Irsay was drinking, it happened quick, it didn't go well.

That's how most of those "before he was sober" stories go

I like the guy well enough as a owner, he's not his dad. If I had a beef with him it's his politics, I mean a picture on the Colts site today has him standing in front of a TV with Chris Matthews on..jeesh

I had never payed a ton of attention to Mr. Irsay before the middle of last season. During the Manning years, I had mostly focused on BP and our coaches as far as non-players go. I have some opinions about the subject, but I will have to preface this by stating that, while I am a lifelong sports fan, I do not have any illusions about professional sports teams being good for the cities and states that they inhabit. No matter how much money the owners and players give to charity and pay in taxes, it inevitably falls short compared to the tax subsidies given by state governments and the (mostly taxpayer funded) billion dollar stadiums. I, personally, am proud to pay taxes for something like the Colts that actually gives me joy, but other states have actually been forced to cut important social programs because of budget shortages while spending hundreds of millions in taxes on a new sports stadium that same year...... ok now that that is over with...

Mr. Irsay seems like an exceptional human being: the company he owns gives tons of money to various charities and they've started a great many amazing programs for young athletes and other children.

He is also extremely intelligent and shrewd: How he found the personnel to put the Colts in a position where the fans are actually excited and looking forward to this season (with a built in excuse if the first couple years do not go well) is some sort of magic trick.

He is fearless: Even if #18 never fully recovered, Irsay could have sold out the season in advance on loyalty to him alone, but he chose to blow it up, regardless of what the fans wanted, for purely competitive football reasons.

I like him. He seems to do a lot for the fans and the community and he is a classy guy. With that said, I do wish he wouldn't Tweet so much and talk to the media so much. I'm of the Polian/Belichick school of communication where you say nothing with phrases like "we just need to do what is best for our team...we need to improve in every facet every time we hit the field"

Love the guy, quirkiness and all.

Okay, that being said, I felt like he was 'leading us on' during the Manning decision. He said, on a number of occasions, that he didn't have a problem paying PM and Luck. I don't want to rehash the whole thing, and I'm going to take him at his word, but I suspect that as soon as we secured the #1 pick he knew what he wanted to do.

I like him. He seems to do a lot for the fans and the community and he is a classy guy. With that said, I do wish he wouldn't Tweet so much and talk to the media so much. I'm of the Polian/Belichick school of communication where you say nothing with phrases like "we just need to do what is best for our team...we need to improve in every facet every time we hit the field"

Yup, I prefer the behind closed doors management style too. Think Pittsburgh Steelers & NE Patriots. No Jets or Cowboys "let's grab all the headlines" we can get. I despise that approach. Well said 21isSuperman. I completely agree.