Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton will return to MVP Form in 2012

Gramz

I don't think that his arm taking a shot has much to do with it. The injury to the nerve that impacted the arm was in his neck, not the arm. His arm is no more at risk to getting hit than any other QB.

The Broncos also may have backups take more snaps as an organizational decision. After all, they drafted a QB very highly this year - I doubt that they intend to let him rot on the bench.

the neck leads to the arm and so forth

I wasn't speaking of the offseason snaps I was speaking of the snaps that he is taking now during practices and OTA's that he is on a limited pitch count that is different then giving your arm rest during the offseason

I did say that wasn't exactly what I was referring too earlier. OTA's are still in the off-season.

Here is an article showing Brady has done the same thing as early as 2007.

http://articles.bost...-brady-practice

"One thing I'm doing that's a little bit different is I'm really monitoring my throws in the preseason," he said yesterday after the team's hot and muggy morning practice. "Before I'd come out and I'd throw 100 balls a day -- and it's 200 in two-a-days -- and you go, 'Gosh, after four days why is my arm sore?' I just try to understand how much I'm throwing and the type of throws we're making. Everybody has to get ready differently."

Another mention of Manning having his "pitch count" monitored.

This is new territory for Brady, an ultra-competitor who would prefer to take every snap if possible. But time catches up with everybody, and if he needs proof of that, he can simply ask his good pal Peyton Manning in Indianapolis.

The 31-year-old Manning, too, has been on a reduced throwing schedule over the past few years. A Colts assistant coach was hitting a "counter" for each throw Manning made at the team's June minicamp, and Manning believes the approach has made a difference. He told Indianapolis reporters that in November and December of last year he didn't experience any arm fatigue.

At this point you'll either understand the concept or you won't.

I'm thinking I was correct when starting this thread to assume, there are still "interested" parties :highfive:

Absolutely right Gramz. Peyton is that rare mix of humility, hard work, work ethic, & razor sharp field talent that defies the odds & achieves the impossible. Yoda will be the 1st QB in NFL history to win 2 SuperBowls with 2 different franchises IMO. I'd be willing to stake my own life on it if I had to personally.

Thanks. Makes sense, he is after all still rehabilitating. It was only weeks ago where many thought he couldn't play at all. One would assume that the quantities of throws allowed will increase over time.

Agreed

To me it would be the same way if he had never been injured, and never left Indy. Some are just trying to make a bigger deal out of it than it is.

Then you agree with the OP, terrific!

The issue was whether the nerve leading to his arm had suffered permanent damage. It's blissfully apparent at this point that it has not. His neck and arm may well feel a lot better than they have since 2006 (two MVPs awards ago). The only restriction imposed by the surgery is a minor loss of range of motion up/down. The long term concern is whether adjacent levels in his neck are subject to deterioration, not whether he can "hold up over a full season".

The Broncos have some highly drafted weapons who have more athletic ability than anything the Colts have had in a very long time - they've just lacked a QB who could take advantage of them. Manning improves those around him to a startling degree - including Harrison, Wayne, Clark, and James. If you like him as much as you've previously professed to, you'd understand that the level he took his game too the past few years - long after James and Harrison were gone, while Clark was often injured, and while Wayne was reduced to one of the least explosive #1 receivers in the sport - all while apparently having physical problems - was stunning. I think it FAR more likely that by the end of this season some Bronco's weapons are being anointed as "stars", than it is that they become the excuse for Peyton having difficulty.

The only relevance of Indy's schedule to this conversation is to note that Peyton has been playing a first place schedule in what has often been one of the most difficult divisions in the league for most of his career. It's only elevated his game in the past.

It's likely that the offense will improve dramatically over time as the pieces mesh, but it's not clear what level they will start at. Looking at their schedule (and knowing Peyton, and respecting Fox and Del Rio), I think it entirely possible that they win the last nine in a row. The question in my mind is whether they slip in a win or two in those first seven games, eeking out a 10 win season, or whether they do 500 (or better) in the first 7 games, which would have them in contention for best overall record in the conference. Don't forget that the Broncos already had a much better defense and running game than anything the Colts have had in many years, and they improved both in the off-season.

Of course it's unlikely he wins the MVP award this season, but that wasn't really the issue. It's whether or not he will "return to MVP form" (IE: the level he has been playing at, and improving constantly, since 2003). It appears to me that he is healthy, and if he is healthy, he will be playing at MVP form. And if you play at MVP form long enough eventually the odds are decent that you will win an MVP.

Sorry for bringing out the blow dryer.

Beautifully written post with sound reasoning MAC. Way to sweep up the Peyton naysayers & doubters overall. :clean:

This is now the most debated "non issue" on the board. It has a tendency to make people agitated, so the interest and reactions are normal. I'd mess with "it" more, but it's not fun. Some folks think this is a "very important" issue. It was for like 30 min in reality, but it's over with, and nothing more has happened since.

I'll just wait to see these guys play and make opinions based on that.

I'm more interested in talking about what happens when the early Luck era Colts meets the Peyton twilight years Broncos in the playoffs in a few years!

Absolutely right Gramz. Peyton is that rare mix of humility, hard work, work ethic, & razor sharp field talent that defies the odds & achieves the impossible. Yoda will be the 1st QB in NFL history to win 2 SuperBowls with 2 different franchises IMO. I'd be willing to stake my own life on it if I had to personally.

Work ethic rubbing off.

The Broncos' three days of work this week are mandatory. Their work the three previous weeks wasn't. Yet RB Willis McGahee was a regular participant, which he said was a change. "I've been here and participating a lot more than I have in my whole career," he said. The biggest reason for his change? QB Peyton Manning. "That has a lot to do with it," McGahee said.

I'm more interested in talking about what happens when the early Luck era Colts meets the Peyton twilight years Broncos in the playoffs in a few years!

At least you agree with us that Peyton will be taking the Broncos to the Playoffs....... :)

Who wants to bet the 2012 and 2013 MVP will be Peyton? He does win them in twos.

Peyton has 4 NFL MVPs. I hope Peyton recovers & has a good year but his NFL MVP seasons are over. Now it's going to be either Rodgers or Brees this next season. Peyton will have a good season but like Brady,Peyton is passed his prime.

Peyton has 4 NFL MVPs. I hope Peyton recovers & has a good year but his NFL MVP seasons are over. Now it's going to be either Rodgers or Brees this next season. Peyton will have a good season but like Brady,Peyton is passed his prime.

What, 5000+ yards and 39TDs is past a prime? Also Drew Brees is two years younger than Tom, and three younger than Peyton. Yet isn't past his prime? You can say he is on the wrong side of 30. No offense, but I seriously doubt your judgement.

At least you agree with us that Peyton will be taking the Broncos to the Playoffs....... :)

"Us" being Broncos fans? Kidding!

I'll sorta kinda root for Peyton. But it's like a, ex Girlfriend who isn't coming back, ya it stinks, but the future is now and I never liked the Broncos..

I'm guessing most Colts fans had the ability to imagine the team post Peyton, and it never was a "good" thing. So we hold on, and hope for the best, because it's done.

Luck, hopefully will do well enough to see this Playoff game happen, I think it would help the upset portion of the fans a lot.

"Us" being Broncos fans? Kidding!

I'll sorta kinda root for Peyton. But it's like a, ex Girlfriend who isn't coming back, ya it stinks, but the future is now and I never liked the Broncos..

I'm guessing most Colts fans had the ability to imagine the team post Peyton, and it never was a "good" thing. So we hold on, and hope for the best, because it's done.

Luck, hopefully will do well enough to see this Playoff game happen, I think it would help the upset portion of the fans a lot.

Fair enough. And for the record, I am not a Broncos Fan, but it's never been any secret that I am a HUGE :manning: Peyton fan :cheer:

Since Tom Moore's opinion has been escalated lately. Here are some recent comments

“He looked excellent,” Moore said of Manning after the practice. “He looked the same. He looked good in March and I saw the progress from then to today. … He looked as good today as he ever has on any June 12th.”

What's different this year for #18, nothing...except, he will be paying with a chip on his shoulder, if anybody knows Peyton, that is bad news for the other 31 teams..............he is on a mission...............almost hard to even imagine, he will take his game...........up-another level-I guarantee it!

My gut tells me you are right. It will be interesting to see what he does with that team. I never watched them before so I'll rely on people here to point out how Manning is making a difference.

Health wise, I think he will be fine........he says he is........broncos think he is. So I think that must be all good.

Swami sez, MVP yes

I'm trying to think of a time any player, from any sport, is coming back from injury, in which all those around him don't say "he looks great" "looks just as good, if not better than before" " it doesn't look like he's slowed at all" or some other generic answer.....

I'll judge Peyton come Week 8ish.

My gut tells me you are right. It will be interesting to see what he does with that team. I never watched them before so I'll rely on people here to point out how Manning is making a difference.

Health wise, I think he will be fine........he says he is........broncos think he is. So I think that must be all good.

Swami sez, MVP yes

for the past year, he has heard........can he play? is he healthy? can he throw? does he still have it? ...then he gets cut by a team he had planned to spend the rest of his career with.............I guess that could be called, a mission. He has one goal this year, to show everyone who had any doubts, that the answers to those questions is...........I guess you all didn't know me very well. Don't ever tell a player like Manning, he can't .....................

Not raining on the parade but this article suggests his velocity is still not what it was in his prime:

http://www.nfl.com/n...ress-physically

SO MANY questions will be answered by the end of this season, probably the biggest offseason story, IMO.

I needed some rain... I mean who wants :sun: all the time..?? In all seriousness, I would expect Peyton to say nothing less than he did in this article. He will ALWAYS continue to strive to be stronger, and healthier and better. Best case scenario, for everyone, is that both Peyton and Andrew have great seasons... :)

Thanks for posting this!

I have just two words: Tim Tebow. We won 8 games with him, and he was atrocious.

We have solid O-line, young talented receivers, and proven dedication to running game. Sure, the schedule is tough, but we play in the AFC West. If we can keep Peyton upright, I am very confident in my team overall.

Well, if the Bleacher Report says it, it has to be true! :)

Y'all do realize that their articles are written by average people and 3rd tier journalists, right? (Which is why I don't read it)

I suppose that as is the case with most articles published these days, if you "agree" they must be credible, and if you don't ~ then it must be Crap... I don't know, I am no expert "Media Guy" or anything, just a Fan :cheer: and a little old lady who lives in the :blueshoe: Shoe :)

I needed some rain... I mean who wants :sun: all the time..??

I said the exact same thing after being stationed in Hawaii for two years, I missed snow, sub zero weather, rain for days, and all that other lovely stuff I get here in the midwest.

I suppose that as is the case with most articles published these days, if you "agree" they must be credible, and if you don't ~ then it must be Crap... I don't know, I am no expert "Media Guy" or anything, just a Fan :cheer: and a little old lady who lives in the :blueshoe: Shoe :)

I'm not a member of the media either, nor did I stay at a Days Inn last night, but there are good and bad articles published in all ranges of media from those respected to those that aren't. So you are right, that is the case with most articles published these days.

If some of you think the Bleacher Report has the same level of professionalism and credibility as MSNBC, CNN, ESPN, etc, then bless your hearts! :)

I don't recall anyone making comparisons like that :rolleyes: Just stating that as fans we sometimes choose to believe some things we see in print, and not so much in others. In any event, Thanks for the Blessings... :heart: