Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y Hilton vs Austin Collie

FightLikeSin

I have a bad feeling that Colts FO wants to have him compete with Austin Collie in the slot. I really hope they keep Collie around, he has always been a solid receiver. Personally, I don't think Hilton has the size to be a starting WR, but could be used from time to time. What do you think? Did they just draft Collie's replacement or are they just bringing him in to serve in the return game? I'm hearing rumblings of this already on twitter.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arians uses his receivers ina lot of different ways, from what ive seen in pitt. honestly i dont think they will compete for the slot job, i think deppending on the package is who will ber on the field. honestly im excited about donnie avery and hilton, thats the speed we havent had in years.

arians uses his receivers ina lot of different ways, from what ive seen in pitt. honestly i dont think they will compete for the slot job, i think deppending on the package is who will ber on the field. honestly im excited about donnie avery and hilton, thats the speed we havent had in years.

Gotta go with this assessment here. I believe Collie and Hilton will both be on the field at different times this year in different packages. Arians loves multiple formations and different personnel packages. This draft just gave him a whole lot of toys to work with.

Austin Collie is going to be on the outside for the most part although arians has his receivers everywhere on the field..And i know yall goin say Collie cant play outside well how do yall know that just because he played the slot while garcon was there.He flourished as the leading receiver in the country at BYU on the outside mostly

Collie is very reliable. He was Manning's go to target on third downs because of his precise route running ability. Manning new exactly where Collie was going to be. I don't see that changing. So, as stated earlier in previous posts, it may depend on down and distance as both may be used in the slot position. But in clutch situations, I would bet that Collie would be in the line-up.

I envision Collie spread. Two TEs....no backs other than Hilton.

Eldridge is the TE to block. Allen or Fleenor on the right.

Two step drop, Hilton and Fleenor criss/cross. Who is this Reggie Wayne guy>>>>>Ya heard of him?

My ears are up...not back. Beware of owner....dog is awesome!

Collie is solid and he will see plenty of time on the field if healthy. Collie might actually play more on the outside this year and share some of the slot responsibilities. However, T.Y. Hilton potentially has game breaking ability and the Colts would be fools not to get him on the field as much as possible. We have some nice receiving options now and I am sure the coaching staff will find the right mix of players and packages.

Collie could be a 3rd down slot guy with reliable hands to get that critical possession to extend the drive. T.Y.Hilton can be used on reverses and early downs to take shots down the field, IMO. That is how I envision it.

That is how Jerrico Cotchery was used at Pitt., he came in on crucial 3rd downs several times and in end zone plays where his height, red zone experience and reach was an advantage, very much like Collie. T.Y.Hilton would be more like between the 20s guy for early downs.

The key question might be - Donnie Avery vs T.Y.Hilton, One could make an argument for using T.Y.Hilton on the outside to take the safeties away. It is not an automatic that T.Y.Hilton will be used only in the slot.

I have a bad feeling that Colts FO wants to have him compete with Austin Collie in the slot. I really hope they keep Collie around, he has always been a solid receiver. Personally, I don't think Hilton has the size to be a starting WR, but could be used from time to time. What do you think? Did they just draft Collie's replacement or are they just bringing him in to serve in the return game? I'm hearing rumblings of this already on twitter.

I think Hilton he's a kick retrjner and a specialty player..

..You could hand him the ball on a reverse...

But I dont think its eitehr or........like the tight ends..I'm sure we'll have sets that use them both....

the kick returner cant always come right back on the field .

They are complimantary players

Arians likes fast receivers, but I don't think Collie is going anywhere. If you ask me his speed is underrated. I remember a play where he caught a ball over the middle and just outran the guys chasing him. It's not easy to outrun a couple defensive backs when you have the ball in your hands. I also think Luck will favor Collie in much the same way Peyton did. He and Fleener will be his security blanket. If the deep parts are covered, just know where those guys are and it's a completion.

I envision Collie spread. Two TEs....no backs other than Hilton.

Eldridge is the TE to block. Allen or Fleenor on the right.

Two step drop, Hilton and Fleenor criss/cross. Who is this Reggie Wayne guy>>>>>Ya heard of him?

That's creative....

we can lime up Allen, Collie and Wayne to one side..

Fleener split to the other side and Hilton in the backfield..

the defense asks: What are they doing? We cabnt sibgke cover Fleener..

We've got to allow for Colie in the slot..

Are they going to hand it to Hilton?

What if Luck rusn a QB draw?

.....We're going to like this.

Playing the slot WR in the NFL is not as easy as people think it is. Since you have safeties and LBs gunning for you, you need to understand the soft spots in the zone, recognize hot reads faster as you are likely the outlet besides the TEs (or RBs for checkdowns), and have spatial awareness so that you dont stop your routes too quickly that there is not much space between you and the outside wideout (something Blair White did causing a few INTs in the Cowboys game and preventing a TD in the end zone vs Titans in 2010, remember that?).

Collie is way ahead on the understanding of that at the NFL level, and till T.Y.Hilton gets there, expect him to be used in limited fashion as WR and heavily as punt returner.

Timing routes are not about where you will be, it is about where you should be.

Collie could be a 3rd down slot guy with reliable hands to get that critical possession to extend the drive. T.Y.Hilton can be used on reverses and early downs to take shots down the field, IMO. That is how I envision it.

That is how Jerrico Cotchery was used at Pitt., he came in on crucial 3rd downs several times and in end zone plays where his height, red zone experience and reach was an advantage, very much like Collie. T.Y.Hilton would be more like between the 20s guy for early downs.

The key question might be - Donnie Avery vs T.Y.Hilton, One could make an argument for using T.Y.Hilton on the outside to take the safeties away. It is not an automatic that T.Y.Hilton will be used only in the slot.

Hilton said himself that the Colts staff were going to use him in the slot, move him outside, and kickoff/punt returns. Those were words from his mouth when he talked to the colts

Hilton said himself that the Colts staff were going to use him in the slot, move him outside, and kickoff/punt returns. Those were words from his mouth when he talked to the colts

They did not tell him how often, did they? They cant, and matchups on the field (whether the nickel CB is a lean one or physical one etc.) will determine when he is used in the slot, and when he is used outside. We have seen Dallas Clark run a route outside on Champ Bailey (though they would not dip into that well much), so it is about matchups, any good OC will use matchups to determine their playcalling. :)

Playing the slot WR in the NFL is not as easy as people think it is. Since you have safeties and LBs gunning for you, you need to understand the soft spots in the zone, recognize hot reads faster as you are likely the outlet besides the TEs (or RBs for checkdowns), and have spatial awareness so that you dont stop your routes too quickly that there is not much space between you and the outside wideout (something Blair White did causing a few INTs in the Cowboys game and preventing a TD in the end zone vs Titans in 2010, remember that?).

Collie is way ahead on the understanding of that at the NFL level, and till T.Y.Hilton gets there, expect him to be used in limited fashion as WR and heavily as punt returner.

Timing routes are not about where you will be, it is about where you should be.

But playing in th slot is a lot easier than playing (as a receiver) on the line...right?

You dont have to overpower the defensive back to get into your pattern.

I thin Collie could play on the line..but Hilton seems small for that

They did not tell him how often, did they? They cant, and matchups on the field (whether the nickel CB is a lean one or physical one etc.) will determine when he is used in the slot, and when he is used outside. We have seen Dallas Clark run a route outside on Champ Bailey (though they would not dip into that well much), so it is about matchups, any good OC will use matchups to determine their playcalling. :)

unless your a big time receiver no receiver knows how often your going to be in a certain spot on the field you go by the flow of the game

But playing in th slot is a lot easier than playing (as a receiver) on the line...right?

Initially, maybe...until you get hit...a car vs SUV, you know when small WR meets big LB. :)

It is difficult to double team in the slot, something teams were forced to do with DC with an extra safety or LB once he hurt them. Once T.Y.Hilton gets a few catches, he should brace himself for some hits and hopefully he learns to get down fast like Wayne or Harrison.

Remember, Devin Moore, great speed in return game, but did not get out of bounds fast enough on a return, and a Jags ST player laid him out and that shoulder injury that put him on IR was the last we heard of him as a Colt.

Great to have a returner but his injury possibilities increase as well, which is why Bears took Hester away from KR and just did PR with him with Daniel Manning doing KR, and which is also why we did not use Blair White for both PR and KR, just PR.

unless your a big time receiver no receiver knows how often your going to be in a certain spot on the field you go by the flow of the game

Exactly. No denying our WRs will be moved around. I just do not think T.Y.Hilton will be pigeon holed into one position, that was my point.

you better ask a receiver what its like to cut across the middle when the defense is in zone coverage.linebackers will get your head took off.when on the outside for the most part aint gotta worry about that

Exactly. No denying our WRs will be moved around. I just do not think T.Y.Hilton will be pigeon holed into one position, that was my point.

I know he said it hisself he's going to be all over the field according to when he talked to arians

I know he said it hisself he's going to be all over the field according to when he talked to arians

I said he could be in the slot and outside too, I did not say it is exclusively Avery vs T.Y.Hilton, I said he could be used between the 20s while Collie could be in the red zone, so what is your point?

If he is used outside, it becomes Avery vs T.Y.Hilton. If he is used inside, it becomes Collie vs T.Y.Hilton, that was the line of my point.

You are going back and forth over things we both already know. :)

Initially, maybe...until you get hit...a car vs SUV, you know when small WR meets big LB. :)

It is difficult to double team in the slot, something teams were forced to do with DC with an extra safety or LB once he hurt them. Once T.Y.Hilton gets a few catches, he should brace himself for some hits and hopefully he learns to get down fast like Wayne or Harrison.

Remember, Devin Moore, great speed in return game, but did not get out of bounds fast enough on a return, and a Jags ST player laid him out and that shoulder injury that put him on IR was the last we heard of him as a Colt.

Great to have a returner but his injury possibilities increase as well, which is why Bears took Hester away from KR and just did PR with him with Daniel Manning doing KR, and which is also why we did not use Blair White for both PR and KR, just PR.

thats just regular season once the playoffs start i bet you Hester will most definitley be on KR and PR

I said he could be in the slot and outside too, I did not say it is exclusively Avery vs T.Y.Hilton, I said he could be used between the 20s while Collie could be in the red zone, so what is your point?

If he is used outside, it becomes Avery vs T.Y.Hilton. If he is used inside, it becomes Collie vs T.Y.Hilton, that was the line of my point.

You are going back and forth over things we both already know. :)

theres no Hilton vs anybody especially when it come to Collie both will be on the field..Avery is going to be 4th on the depth chart after training camp

thats just regular season once the playoffs start i bet you Hester will most definitley be on KR and PR

Not full time if they plan to use Hester as WR. Hester will be one of the kick returners while being the punt returner the majority of the time even if it is a playoff game.

Here are a couple of playoff games (divisional round vs Seahawks and NFCCG vs Packers in 2010 season) as late as the previous year when the Bears were in the playoffs, they show what I am saying is true, Hester shared KR duties considerably while hogging the PR duties almost exclusively.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310123003

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310116003

theres no Hilton vs anybody especially when it come to Collie both will be on the field..Avery is going to be 4th on the depth chart after training camp

But the thread's premise is Hilton vs anybody, I was playing along. Let us hope that is the case that T.Y.Hilton beats out Avery. But till then, I will go with a vet that has seen more NFL starts for now.

arians loves fast wr's so both hilton and avery will be on the field a lot with wayne. collie isn't fast enough to play outside and i think he will eventually be the 4th wr. he's a good player but more of a product from peyton manning.

I disagree. He may not fit like a glove for Arians' formations all the time like he did with our previous offense but he can thrive as a slot wideout like Wes Welker in most offenses with a good QB.

But the thread's premise is Hilton vs anybody, I was playing along. Let us hope that is the case that T.Y.Hilton beats out Avery. But till then, I will go with a vet that has seen more NFL starts for now.

yea i really trust a guy who was what 3 catches in 8 games after his major knee surgery in two years ago..ill take my chances with a guy i know is perfectly healthy

That's creative....

He can also be the Harrison slant. I know offense and defense ....yes we pick off LBs in the same equation....Sproles/Jackson....I will use him as a faster Sproles in my offense. My D is more creative....love it!!!

I think they drafted Hilton because of his returning skills and his versatility. He, like Collie, could play outside and inside. The better slot guy is Collie, but both can play it, so expect quite a bit of plays that involves both of them on the field at the same time. Collie is the more proven player, but if he has an off year and Hilton has a great year, look for him to hit the road at the end of the year.

I agree again....Avery may not even make this team! Brazill? Avery needs to kick a**! He may need to go have dinner with Jerry Jones....

I think they drafted Hilton because of his returning skills and his versatility. He, like Collie, could play outside and inside. The better slot guy is Collie, but both can play it, so expect quite a bit of plays that involves both of them on the field at the same time. Collie is the more proven player, but if he has an off year and Hilton has a great year, look for him to hit the road at the end of the year.

In banking terms Hilton is a combo-account. WE need to take advantage of his skills.

I agree again....Avery may not even make this team! Brazill? Avery needs to kick a**! He may need to go have dinner with Jerry Jones....

You never know. There were 2 other teams vying for his services in the offseason, so I have just as much knowledge as you do with regards to how much of his old self he really is and if he was underutilized with the Titans. :)

Grigson probably had to take into account his production of years past when he got him to sign on the dotted line. We will see how things go. The most important thing I like is that we have some real competition now for those wideout spots.

That's creative....

like This

Fleener

Justice

McGlynn

Satele Luck Hilton

Ijalana

Castonzo

Allen

Collie