Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We Know You're A Long Time Colts Fan Tonight ... If..

Smonroe

* You understand the O-Line won't be in mid season form.

* You're watching players instead of plays.

* You don't get too excited by a rookie's performance, good or bad.

and most importantly:

* You couldn't care less about the final score.

(Please add more - and feel free to refer this thread to those that post "our O-line sux"... or things of that nature...)

Well, that third one depends on what position the player plays and what your definition of "performance" is, but by and large I agree.

I'm always reminded of the time we played in the HoF game a few years ago. My buddy is a Skins fan and he was all excited about Colt Brennan being their QB of the future after that preseason. Last I heard, he's trying out for the UFL.

I'm always reminded of the time we played in the HoF game a few years ago. My buddy is a Skins fan and he was all excited about Colt Brennan being their QB of the future after that preseason. Last I heard, he's trying out for the UFL.

Well, sure. My point is you can look at certain aspects of some rookies' games and draw some conclusions from them. But not everything, and not every position, and NOT stats.

We Know You're A Long Time Colts Fan Tonight ... If..

You watch the game. haha

Everyone knows our favorite players won't be playing.

But wanting to see what the rookies can add to the depth of the team makes you a Colts Fan! :coltshorse:

Yeah. Like tonight, I'm happy they're resting Freeney and giving Hughes a chances to go against the Rams #1s.

* You understand the O-Line won't be in mid season form.

* You're watching players instead of plays.

* You don't get too excited by a rookie's performance, good or bad.

and most importantly:

* You couldn't care less about the final score.

(Please add more - and feel free to refer this thread to those that post "our O-line sux"... or things of that nature...)

At the half.

Nevis has had some good moments and I'm more stoked about that than anything else. Wheeler is around the ball a lot which is encouraging. Love the brief moments for D. Brown and PG.

Spann has had trouble handling the ball a couple of times and not looked good when he has brought it out.

I like the scoring reviews - a good change. Not sure I'm big on the 35yd line kickoffs but whatever that's part of the 2011 game.

I felt kind of bad after reading some of the posts in this thread.

It was not meant to be a 'guideline' or to make fun of anyone. It was not meant to say you're not a Colts fan if you don't agree with me.

It was an observation, not instructions. In other words, I think most of us were prepared for the worst.

Anyone who's been a Colts fan for at least the last 10 years understands the Colts do NOT gameplan in the preseason. While we can complain about individual play, who looks good or bad, the outcome of the game means nothing. And it certainly doesn't mean we aren't deep since our 2's get beat by theirs.

It was not meant to be a 'guideline' or to make fun of anyone. It was not meant to say you're not a Colts fan if you don't agree with me.

It was an observation, not instructions. In other words, I think most of us were prepared for the worst.

Anyone who's been a Colts fan for at least the last 10 years understands the Colts do NOT gameplan in the preseason. While we can complain about individual play, who looks good or bad, the outcome of the game means nothing. And it certainly doesn't mean we aren't deep since our 2's get beat by theirs.

Two kinds of people - those that get it and those that don't. In this landscape of the oft offended you're not simply a yell at the TV kinda fan, Smonroe, which is always welcomed as far as I'm concerned.

Don't feel bad; some people just like to urinate on threads. The rest of us enjoyed it. :)

Yeah Smonroe... don't worry about it. I think its a good post. Some people just don't feel inteligent unless they are putting someone else's contributions down.

You know your a longtime Colts fan tonight if, after watching our backup QBs give it everything they got, you would be willing to chip in to purchase daily neck massage therapy (if such a thing exists) for Peyton.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I understand where you're coming from. It's not my intention to call out everyone who doesn't like how the AD stuff was handled. It just seems like typical draft season stuff to me, which everyone peddles in every year, but now that it's a highly drafted Colts pick, we're raising the standard.    Wasn't it 'unnamed sources' who claimed Caleb Williams didn't want to play for the Bears, or wanted ownership equity, etc.? Weren't 'unnamed sources' repeated when questions about Levis' personality started to float around? To me, some stuff is either factual, or it's not -- it's a fact that AD has diabetes. Other stuff is opinion/projection -- rude, abrasive, immature, uncoachable -- and should be treated as such.    The AD stuff was a mix of both. He has diabetes, the claim is that it has affected his ability to practice. Either that's true or it's not. I don't find it hard to believe, since AD definitely has diabetes, and that kind of stuff is typical of a young person with that condition. Someone else might view it differently, but we're never going to get anyone to corroborate that stuff on the record. One of the scouts said he has bad character reports from Georgia and Texas, which isn't going to be validated by anyone in the know, but it's hard to imagine someone just making that up. And that scout -- who I think was the harshest -- also said that when AD's blood sugar is right, he's great. So to me, he offered a reasonable explanation, and I don't think he came across as someone who dislikes AD or would have him as a character red flag. I think there was nuance that doesn't get fully considered when this stuff gets repeated.   Even maturity is a spectrum, not a black and white consideration. A person -- especially at a young age -- might be incredibly responsible in one area of their life, while still figuring things out in another area. One person might see something as immature, and another has no problem with it. So a source gave an opinion, and I think it should be treated like one person's opinion, and not a rubber-stamped designation that the monolithic scouting community has agreed upon.   And I don't think that Bob McGinn's collection of quotes from unnamed sources impacts how teams handle their draft board. I think McGinn is getting this stuff from people who work for teams; the teams already have the info. So I don't see the quotes as affecting AD's draft stock. It would have been balanced to offer some counter quotes, if those were available, but I don't think the quotes are as negative as they seem from the headlines.    My only reservations about Ballard's presser is that it seemed like an "outburst," but knowing that he kind of did the same thing last year, I think it was sincere, and he did it for the right reasons. Without that background, he might have come across as being petty and unprofessional, but context is important.   Short version: I don't think the reports are made up, I think there's probably some truth to them. And I assume the Colts did their homework, because that's how they operate. So if they're comfortable with AD Mitchell and have a plan to help him succeed, I have no concerns about it. 
    • Ability to cover one on one which is what happened... We haven't seen any cornerback play yet this year, so I'll reserve judgment until so. Otherwise we are predicting what is going to happen based on two rookies playing last season. I am more concerned about the depth, as I can't imagine they aren't as well. I was hopeful for Scott bringing serious competition and elevating the secondary. I hope Flowers does that at cornerback. Can always improve though, and there is still plenty of time. I hope Cross becomes our permanent guy and elevates. We have a lot of youth on the backend of this roster. It's obvious the plan is for them to grow. Hopefully we see it out of the gate and consistent growth throughout the season.  I don't see any way the pass rush is not more effective. I don't see the secondary getting worse, far from it. That will help to begin. We added the best pass rusher in the draft. We now have a deep d-line that is going to be rotated heavily, which will lead to fresh bodies bringing pressure, all the way up until the big gal sings her final tune each game.    I may be crazy, but I'm not concerned as much as other's are about the defense. I'm concerned about #5, 11, and 28's health, as I think they drive the offense, which is going to be the difference in the W/L column. If they can stay healthy, and our defense can grow throughout the year, I think we'll be positioned well. Our depth in the trenches is going to be a major advantage over the course of a long season. I believe in Shane Steichen, more than anyone.
    • I saw the media tried to make it out that the Celtics had an easy path to the finals. They went 64-18 during the season and 16-3 in the postseason. That is absolute domination from start to finish. Awesome to see Indiana native Brad Stevens get his first ring!!  I hope the Pacers close the gap and look forward to battling the Celtics the next few years. 
    • I do agree about the great OL and play caller.    The DL will come down whether Latu is a legit stud pass rusher right away. JT has been a great RB, but not the past two years. The receivers are solid, but seems like most teams have good-great WR groups anymore.    This feels like a "if everything goes right" kind of thing. But it's the offseason.  
    • Sure. It's possible that teams could have had boards that included many WRs as R1 grades, including Mitchell, and they just chose one over him. I worded that weirdly, but what I meant was that teams that didn't have him as a R1 player, it was for reasons beyond the rumors in this article.   But the "surefire first rounder until he was done dirty by rumors" doesn't track.    We know that AD ranked poorly in some advanced metrics (like yards per route run) that typically operate as requisites for successful NFL WRs (outliers are rare). We know what some team scouts had concerns from his Combine drills. And we know what happened at the draft.    And those comments that McGinn published weren't even his thoughts...they too were from NFL scouts.   Seems like the easiest and logical explanation is that teams had legit concerns (for multiple reasons) about AD and that, not rumors, is what pushed him down in the draft. But Destin seems to be spinning a couple of those concerns (that Ballard had addressed) to drive his narrative.
  • Members

• ChuggaBeer

ChuggaBeer 1,795

• ColtStrong2013

ColtStrong2013 3,539

• KB

KB 1,152

• RollerColt

RollerColt 12,675

• Nadine

Nadine 8,162

Administrators