Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How can you watch Colts games with so many injuries to top players?

Yoshinator

I had to start a thread on this that some people may feel is stupid, but it's something that Colts fans go through every year more than most teams it seems. How can you, as a Colts fan, watch week after week, without letting it bother you that so many top players seem to be out every week for us? I couldn't even care to watch last year knowing AR was out most of the year and that Minshew was our QB, yet he wouldn't either be on the team or the starter when AR returned. We had the same issues with Luck a lot, AR is injury prone early in his career, and Taylor is missing time too. 

I just can't have fun knowing Taylor is out this week. It hurts as a Colts fan, it hurts as a fantasy player who owns him, it just lowers any level of interest I have when he is the one that is holding this offense together. How is AR supposed to develop when his RB is out like this? All the players that are out seem to be important players like Moore, Paye, Taylor, Ekubam and Brents for the year, and of course whenever we try to run it with AR, he gets hurt.

I just don't see how Colts fans can continuously stay interested when we seem to get the worst injuries to the most important players. Please help me with this. Maybe you guys have a viewpoint that can help me. I'm just so over the injuries that seem to happen to our top players every year, and we don't have a chance to compete or develop anyone. Ruins my fan experience.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I’m sorry you feel this way. I’ve struggled with it in the past. I’ve made a post a few weeks back but it bears repeating:

I used to get irrationally angry watching Colts games. It was bad. It was violent. Looking back, it was embarrassing.

What finally changed for me was seeing the look of fear in my little children’s eyes staring up at me with tears. It… washed away my cares for the Colts. That probably sounds bad, but I no longer care as much about what happens with the team. It was one my entire persona. It was as if my own personal happiness stemmed from the team’s success. 

All I can tell you is that at some point you’ll learn to separate the Colts from your personal identify. 

There are other things truly more worthy of your worries and stress than a football team. I promise you. 

Be well and cherish life. I recently lost a great friend in NC due to the horrible flooding. Life is too short to waste it away fretting over the Colts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I’m sorry you feel this way. I’ve struggled with it in the past. I’ve made a post a few weeks back but it bears repeating:

I used to get irrationally angry watching Colts games. It was bad. It was violent. Looking back, it was embarrassing.

What finally changed for me was seeing the look of fear in my little children’s eyes staring up at me with tears. It… washed away my cares for the Colts. That probably sounds bad, but I no longer care as much about what happens with the team. It was one my entire persona. It was as if my own personal happiness stemmed from the team’s success. 

All I can tell you is that at some point you’ll learn to separate the Colts from your personal identify. 

There are other things truly more worthy of your worries and stress than a football team. I promise you. 

Be well and cherish life. I recently lost a great friend in NC due to the horrible flooding. Life is too short to waste it away fretting over the Colts. 

I know this doesn't compare to your children, but I have genuinely put in an effort as well not to yell or get violent since I've got my Labrador Retriever 2 1/2 years ago. She is my life, and I always want her to be comfortable around me. I've finally got on some good medication that has lowered my outbursts, and I'm probably living a better life than I have since 2011 which was the last year I had a huge social life and was traveling and playing pokemon with all my best friends. 

I just enjoy sports a ton and is still a mini-escape from life. I want to feel like I can enjoy a journey that my team can win a championship. If we lose, that's one thing and I'm fine with it as long as there is maximum effort given. When we lose and it's due to circumstances out of our control (injuries) seemingly every year, that's when I become apathetic towards the team over time.

The Atlanta Braves had a horrible season with injuries this year, but because we won a WS three years ago and make the playoffs every year, it's more forgivable. When we just lose every year, or the times we win it's a QB like Rivers who has 1 year with us and he retires, I just give up. I have no control to fix the team myself, and I resort to playing Madden instead.

Also, I'm sorry that you lost your friend in NC due to the flooding. That has to be horrible to go through. I have a bunch of friends in the South who lost power for 3 1/2 days and a cousin in Florida whose house got destroyed and she has to move in with her sister now. That hurricane sucked for so many people.

• Like 1

I will just say this. I thought for sure with all the injuries they were going to get beat by Steelers. I was shocked how well they played. It might look bad for Sunday but let’s have a little faith. I think we might be turning s corner with having a better coach then what we have had in the past. Hopefully we are less streaky and more consistent with Shane.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I feel you here. I can much easier let a loss roll off back now. Not nearly as emotional. Yes I still feel a tiny bit sad during the week after a loss but it’s much less emotional for me now.

• Like 1

Easy I don’t watch for one player, I watch for the TEAM. It’s always next man up anytime a player goes down and I’ll be rooting for that next man up to do well. I’ll be rooting for the team to do well. It’s an emotional roller coaster being a fan. You went from having Peyton Manning and during that era knowing they would dominate the NFL. To having having Curtis Painter, Dan Orlovsky , Kerry Collins, to Andrew Luck, Scott Tolzien , Jacoby Brissett, Brian Hoyer, Phillip Rivers , Matt Hassellback , Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, Carson Wentz , Sam Ehlinger, Nick Foles as a starting QB under center at one point or another between 1998-2022. In 2023 we watched mostly Minshew play and now we have AR at the helm. It was very much so up and down and it was good at times and then went down hill but I stuck with them through thick and thin through the good times and the bad times. It’s apart of being a fan, it’s not always going to be glitz and glamorous. I would say try to remove the emotion from it and honestly look at it for what it is, which is entertainment. Try not to get too emotionally invested in a something that doesn’t pay you or put food on your table. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I root for the shoe honestly. I'd root for this entire forum if you folks suited up. Lol

Being a fan of a team isn't strictly about winning. That all started with the internet and Brady in New England. 

I love the whole concept of watching 'my' team on a Sunday wearing a Colts sweatshirt and having a good meal. It's entertainment.

I feel like the Colts are my kid honestly. I'd never turn my back on them and I'll root for them regardless of record or who's on the team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Easy I don’t watch for one player, I watch for the TEAM. It’s always next man up anytime a player goes down and I’ll be rooting for that next man up to do well. I’ll be rooting for the team to do well. It’s an emotional roller coaster being a fan. You went from having Peyton Manning and during that era knowing they would dominate the NFL. To having having Curtis Painter, Dan Orlovsky , Kerry Collins, to Andrew Luck, Scott Tolzien , Jacoby Brissett, Brian Hoyer, Phillip Rivers , Matt Hassellback , Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, Carson Wentz , Sam Ehlinger, Nick Foles as a starting QB under center at one point or another between 1998-2022. In 2023 we watched mostly Minshew play and now we have AR at the helm. It was very much so up and down and it was good at times and then went down hill but I stuck with them through thick and thin through the good times and the bad times. It’s apart of being a fan, it’s not always going to be glitz and glamorous. I would say try to remove the emotion from it and honestly look at it for what it is, which is entertainment. Try not to get too emotionally invested in a something that doesn’t pay you or put food on your table. 

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

I root for the shoe honestly. I'd root for this entire forum if you folks suited up. Lol

Being a fan of a team isn't strictly about winning. That all started with the internet and Brady in New England. 

I love the whole concept of watching 'my' team on a Sunday wearing a Colts sweatshirt and having a good meal. It's entertainment.

I feel like the Colts are my kid honestly. I'd never turn my back on them and I'll root for them regardless of record or who's on the team.

This is probably the right answer to root specifically for the team. My issue right now is I play fantasy football and bestball, and I'm impatient to make the playoffs every year and have a franchise QB again. So I'll probably have to try and get into this mindset. It'll just be really hard for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

This is probably the right answer to root specifically for the team. My issue right now is I play fantasy football and bestball, and I'm impatient to make the playoffs every year and have a franchise QB again. So I'll probably have to try and get into this mindset. It'll just be really hard for me.

Id say avoid drafting or taking players from your team that you’re a fan of. I’m an avid fantasy guy and also a sports bettor. I literally will avoid taking any Colts players In fantasy and also during the week in fantasy football I avoid taking the props of the players I’m playing against. I never want to wish bad on anyone so for that very reason I avoid those guys. For me personally it has helped tremendously, I can still enjoy the game without bias. 

• Like 1

Find a hobby. Listen to the game instead of watching it while you do that hobby, or home maintenance. I’ve been really busy during this football season and am watching less games. I haven’t been able to watch a full game yet this year. Just can’t afford to waste 3+ hours on Sundays anymore. So if I can I’ll listen to the game otherwise I’ve got things to do. So my advice would be that if you find a hobby or enjoy working on things around the house, listening to the game while doing those things can be more enjoyable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Find a hobby. Listen to the game instead of watching it while you do that hobby, or home maintenance. I’ve been really busy during this football season and am watching less games. I haven’t been able to watch a full game yet this year. Just can’t afford to waste 3+ hours on Sundays anymore. So if I can I’ll listen to the game otherwise I’ve got things to do. So my advice would be that if you find a hobby or enjoy working on things around the house, listening to the game while doing those things can be more enjoyable. 

I don’t listen to games anymore because I don’t work on Sundays anymore. But man sometimes listening to the game is better than watching it. Kinda miss Matt Taylor getting all pumped.. 

I-N-D-Y lol 

I always look at it as backups having the chance to shine and cement their place in long term plans. We saw Womack shine (A few of us really liked the signing some were like eh), Sermon and Goodson have a chance to show Steelers game last year was not a 1 game fluke. Land and Gotsis will get chances tomorrow. Some of these guys are playing to stay in the league and giving all they have out there. Love it they get opportunities and hope some cash in big time.

• Like 1